Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I stopped watching Agents of SHIELD after about 6 episodes because it was so bland. I kinda want to start watching it again now though because it seems like it could go in an interesting direction. Plus, Ward was one of the things I disliked about the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The latest episode outright stated that the Ward from previous episodes wasn't really "him." Literally everything that he had done previously was a coldly calculated move to ingratiate himself with the team.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

irlZaphod posted:

I stopped watching Agents of SHIELD after about 6 episodes because it was so bland. I kinda want to start watching it again now though because it seems like it could go in an interesting direction. Plus, Ward was one of the things I disliked about the show.

I'm really hoping they decide to stick with Ward as a villain, even if he "redeems" himself later on. This last episode really laid on that he wasn't in a cover, that he was working with Chet the entire time "I knew him as a teenager."

I'm wouldn't be surprised to see him "turn good" because of his love for Hax0r Chick, but I really hope they don't go with him infiltrating Hydra

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

e X posted:

If you seriously consider that the tv series might not use the character due to the negative connotation in the comics, you vastly overestimate how many people read and care about comics nowadays. Not saying the character will be in the show, but if he isn't, it wont because of a decade old storyline.

Because what you really want when people Google the character you just debuted is "serial rapist" and

quote:

Later, in Final Crisis: Revelations #1, the Spectre delivered final judgment on Doctor Light (who is discovered in the middle of a mock superhero rape orgy with various women dressed as Teen Titans)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Counterpoint, Dr. Light still used as a gag character on Teen Titans Go.

Seriously though, DC, :rolleyes:

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
Is Dr. Light still a lobotomized rapist in the new 52? The only new 52 book I follow is flash and they seem to be following that pretty heavily for the flash adaptation if the origin and the costume are anything to go by.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Medium Cool posted:

Is Dr. Light still a lobotomized rapist in the new 52? The only new 52 book I follow is flash and they seem to be following that pretty heavily for the flash adaptation if the origin and the costume are anything to go by.

He's a dead hero apparently, because New 52 is awful at everything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I thought that's why he built Roll.

:master:

Brilliant.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I don't know why TV episodes have covers now, but at least they're not half-assing it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

I don't know why TV episodes have covers now, but at least they're not half-assing it.

The thing I don't get about these is that they put a lot of effort into them but I have no clue where you're supposed to go to see them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I don't get about these is that they put a lot of effort into them but I have no clue where you're supposed to go to see them.

I think they're posting them on their official Twitter accounts or something

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, and I'm sure it's on the official Facebook page too #jointheconversation

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Medium Cool posted:

They went the complete opposite with him in the New 52.

There he was a committed scientist, loving father and husband (to the woman who was the female Doctor Light in the old universe) who didn't like hurting people and helped out the Justice League, who got his powers as a result of an accident investigating a secret society of villains.

...Then after about 6 issues he got his head blown off by Superman's heat vision when a super villain jabbed a piece of Kryptonite into Clark's brain. I think his ghost sometimes haunts Clark now.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Not to resurrect all the acronym talk from way back (even though that's exactly what i'm doing), but I am pretty sure SWORD as an organization preceded Whedon by a long while.

I remember them showing up in that X-force arc where they go on a road trip and end up in a town with dying mutant kids or something morbid like that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mister Nobody posted:

Not to resurrect all the acronym talk from way back (even though that's exactly what i'm doing), but I am pretty sure SWORD as an organization preceded Whedon by a long while.

I remember them showing up in that X-force arc where they go on a road trip and end up in a town with dying mutant kids or something morbid like that.

You're thinking of The Sword, a bunch of Deviants who fought X-Factor-Force. S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient Worlds Observation and Response Division, ie "someone really wanted out initials to spell SWORD") the anti-alien counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D. did indeed get created by Joss Whedon in 2005 during his run on X-Men.

Pity the SWORD book never took off, I rather liked that one. :sigh:

e: Getting the right friggin' X-Group

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 21, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DynamicSloth posted:

Trying to go for the BTAS episode title shots?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mister Nobody posted:

Nope.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
The UK is up to the End of the Beginning episode on AoS, and the series is finally getting it together. The look of Deathlok isn't great, but it's still evolving. I am hoping they don't drag out the three current mysteries for too long. I'm glad I stuck with the series, it's certainly improved since the first couple of episodes.

e: Got the title wrong. Apparently the season finale is "Beginning of the End"

Milotic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 21, 2014

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

jng2058 posted:

You're thinking of The Sword, a bunch of Deviants who fought X-Factor-Force. S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient Worlds Observation and Response Division, ie "someone really wanted out initials to spell SWORD") the anti-alien counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D. did indeed get created by Joss Whedon in 2005 during his run on X-Men.

Pity the SWORD book never took off, I rather liked that one. :sigh:

e: Getting the right friggin' X-Group

Whoops, My mistake then. I wonder what S.P.E.A.R. is going to be, problably something to deal with atlanteans or the Savage Land.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mister Nobody posted:

Whoops, My mistake then. I wonder what S.P.E.A.R. is going to be, problably something to deal with atlanteans or the Savage Land.

Sea People Entering America Ruthlessly defense squad.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Mister Nobody posted:

Special
Protectorate for
Earth
Aquatic
Response

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Superior
Prison for
Escaped
Atlantean
Refugees

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
They never did say what H.A.M.M.E.R. stood for, right? I remember Osborn just declaring the organization was called H.A.M.M.E.R., telling someone to come up with what it stood for, and ignoring it from there.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Mister Nobody posted:

(Secret Warriors #4)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leave it to Hickman to shove metaphors where they don't fit.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, he really H.A.M.M.E.R.'d that one in there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SaintFu posted:

(Secret Warriors #4)

Roman Reigns is both the Spear and the Shield.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Spectacular Spider-Man Season 1&2 Blu-Rays went down to $24.99 if anyone was waiting on them, I've heard from this very thread that the show is amazing.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I wonder when we'll get a new X-Men cartoon, it's been a while since WATXM ended. I think there's been some rumors of Marvel having a Guardians of the Galaxy series for 2015.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dacap posted:

I wonder when we'll get a new X-Men cartoon, it's been a while since WATXM ended. I think there's been some rumors of Marvel having a Guardians of the Galaxy series for 2015.

Have any X characters appeared in USM or Avengers Assemble?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

notthegoatseguy posted:

Have any X characters appeared in USM or Avengers Assemble?

Wolverine was in both I think. I know he was in USM for sure, but I cannot remember if it was AA or EMH where Wolverine showed up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Wolverine was in both I think. I know he was in USM for sure, but I cannot remember if it was AA or EMH where Wolverine showed up.

EMH has Wolverine in it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It doesn't look good for X-Men being in this new Marvel Animated... group, but the Guardians have been featured in USM and AA at this point so it is almost a given that they will get a show.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lurdiak posted:

It's because there is literally a spear and shield originally held by a pharaoh who started the big earth-protecting shadow organization in the first place. Each side traditionally holds certain artifacts, and the HYDRA/SHIELD conflict is how humanity grows the talent pool. They're all fighting tooth and nail for control of the modern world, which is scraps to the people who matter and occasionally recruit them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So they're definitely never going to make Ward good again seeing as he murdered Patton Oswalt's character.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

muscles like this? posted:

So they're definitely never going to make Ward good again seeing as he murdered Patton Oswalt's character.

That's his sixth on screen kill, I think we're a ways past speculating that everyone is just walking around with squib packs taped to their heads.

Maybe they'd try and rehabilitate him through a mind control excuse or something but it seems unlikely, we already know more of evil Ward's back story than we ever found out about the boy scout version, also he's a vastly better character.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 23, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know how this happened but SHIELD has had like, 3 or 4 actually good episodes in a row. How did this happen?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know how this happened but SHIELD has had like, 3 or 4 actually good episodes in a row. How did this happen?

Captain America and the Winter Soldier valiantly led Agents of SHIELD to the fireworks factory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

wiegieman posted:

It's because there is literally a spear and shield originally held by a pharaoh who started the big earth-protecting shadow organization in the first place. Each side traditionally holds certain artifacts, and the HYDRA/SHIELD conflict is how humanity grows the talent pool. They're all fighting tooth and nail for control of the modern world, which is scraps to the people who matter and occasionally recruit them.

Yeah, I remember that lovely book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
A spear has has an older place in our collective story then the sword and was significantly more useful in battle, add the ancient spear that can pierce anything and shield that cannot be pierced fable and I could see someone thinking it legitimizes the idea and gives it weight.

It overlooks swords having a deeper connection to violence and war then spears as spears originated with hunting and the sword is seen more as the first tool designed exclusively to kill another human but that more delving into the reasons the idea doesn't resonate with people as I've never read the story.