Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Arrow is also a super melodramatic show for teenagers, so everything you don't like about The Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars is also present in Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
season 2 of the tick is also available today

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

site posted:

Oh

Well

Turns out I don't actually give a poo poo which sub they mod. They have a star next to their name so deflecting with they aren't the tviv mod but they are the mod of [other sub] is a worthless distinction to me

u have to be an insane person to mod here so the blue star is kind of a red flag

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

If you would have told me in the Year of Our Lord 2019 that the two best comic book TV shows would be Cloak and Dagger and Doom Patrol I might have bopped you on the head for your crazy talk.

i dont think its true..... but if u told me preacher and happy got tv shows i wouldnt believe u anyway

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i forgot about legion as well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Goyer can be ok when he's got other people there to dilute him.

goyer is poison

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah, notably bad movies like The Dark Knight show he is incapable of being involved in any good projects where he has other people working with him.

the dark knight has an awful screenplay

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
live action childrens television

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its just talladega nights

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

its going to turn out that the cops and white supremacists are both being manipulated by a shadowy jew

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the boys has made me realize that supervillains are extremely necessary to justify superheroes......i think the only superhero i could abide in the real world would be spider-man

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We have Mitch McConnell.

speaking of ennis punisher max run lol. i mean supervillains like thanos, darkseid, galactus, etc.....world destroying threats. otherwise superman would do more harm generating paranoia and reactionary politics than he would help

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I dunno, you think that because we the readers get to know Spider-Man and what he's about and read/hear all his jokes. But theoretically, if there were a dude just swinging around the city just tying motherfuckers to lampposts and poo poo for petty crimes and leaving notes behind that would probably be terrifying. At least with Superman (the "real" one, not any of his evil/immoral knockoffs), he usually interacts with the public way more and in a friendly way. Like, he might stick around to actually file a police report after turning in a mugger. Maybe give an interview as to his origin (the Krypton part, not the Kent part). Spider-Man actively antagonizes the press (although granted JJJ shot first there).

Don't get me wrong, Superman in the real world would still be unnerving, but at least I can see his face, which helps.

i picked spider-man because he is uniquely suited to nonviolently apprehending street criminals. the webbed-up armed robber is iconic.....if i saw a 60 minutes special with superman explaining his origin and how he strives for peace i wouldnt believe it, i would assume it was a cia op or something. that said i wouldnt trust spider-man either, not really, but his methods are the only kind i could see getting results without negative ramifications because his MO is already predicated on not being trusted but doing the right thing anyway

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
monstars

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arist posted:

Lindelof says a lot of poo poo, the show itself is about the lingering trauma of racism and the ways unhealed wounds from years past fester and grow. How the gently caress is that centrist or missing the point?

I seriously don't know how you watch episode 6 and think "oh this show is centrist."

actually, its about a blue superhero wearing blackface for years

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I'll be honest. I confused the incidents of boston irish catholic racist actor mark Walhberg as his. Sorry neal!

how is this possible.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sorry, confused German actor Christoph Waltz with famous German politician Adolf Hitler

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

If people are looking for a comic show to watch, I would highly suggest Legion. Pretty much every actor is fantastic through out the series, the soundtrack is incredibly deep/imaginative and it has some of the most beautifully constructed scenes. The story gets a lot more abstract in the second and third seasons.

At least give the first episode a chance if you haven't watched anything else. I can't think of a better introduction episode of a series.

legion is great but the last episode has an extremely tasteless recontextualization of pink floyds “mother” that almost ruined the whole show for me lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
a police procedural about cops with supervillain levels of corruption isnt too tone deaf

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah white knight is awful

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
for what its worth all of the things hargraves was “right” about are either things he caused or things that he purposefully kept secret. so its less that hes vindicated and more that hes utterly damned

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the avengers dont have anything as iconic as this

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe not in the modern day, but Superman being an all-american hero used to be a big part of his marketing, especially in the 40s and 50s. He might not literally have worn the flag like Cap, but he was seen as a patriotic American icon, even outside of the US. People of my father's generation still think of him that way.

And let's not forget:

Nobody younger than generation X knows what the Super Friends are.

im younger than generation x

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

She's insufferable in everything she appears in.

youve seen everything shes appeared in?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Roth posted:

We only care about superheroes here, so yes

what about [glances at wikipedia] Defendor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly Thessely kind of works if you look at her as a TERF;

Another big thing is the that one side story with Element Girl which I've seen people say is a pro-suicide comic

the element girl issue is a top 5 all time individual comic issue and its absolutely about assisted suicide in the face of unimaginable daily suffering

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
to be clear “unimaginable daily suffering” does not refer to external or existential angst. it is very literal

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is it ripping it off if you literally bought the remake rights to do it and fully acknowledge that's where you took that ONE shot from?

yes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the showrunner for american gods season 2 cut anansi out because he didnt like the idea of an angry black man

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/orlando-jones-fired-american-gods-interview-mr-nancy-1203436890/

quote:

All I can say is what I was told. And all what I was told was, ‘angry gets s— done’ is the wrong message for black America, and that the new showrunner [Chic Eglee] writes from a black male perspective.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It's just so weird how they fired the most popular character who had the most memorable scenes just because they didn't like his politics.

yea.......so weird............

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dont recognize the actor or the character

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ok.....who is chris conrad lol. people getting hype for a c list actor playing a c list character lmao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

very similar to the early reviews for wonder woman 1984

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I think this strengthens my argument, any explanation other than "Wanda did it" would only be satisfying to people who have read a lot of comics.

people have said this about so many MCU moves and its never true

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

X-O posted:

It would only make sense if you read the comic with the talking tree in it. Otherwise it's just too much for audiences.

groot.....?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

X-O posted:

I'm agreeing with the post you made by saying the same thing people were saying when Guardians of the Galaxy was announced.

ah. i dont know who agatha harkness, wundagore or puppet master are so i thought it was possible one of them were a talking tree but i didnt want to embarrass myself by making an assumption.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

Agatha Harkness is a witch who babysat Franklin Richards but also gave Wanda magic training when she decided to be an actual witch in addition to using her mutant powers

Puppet Master is a Fantastic Four villain who makes sculptures out of radioactive clay (from, coincidentally, the weird mountain where Wanda and Pietro were born) to control the subjects of the sculpture

i notice you havent specified whether either of these characters are trees.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gavok posted:

All comic characters are trees if you think about it.

Unless they're just from webcomics.

:weebay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hoping its claymation modok from the new patton oswalt show