Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

That one's good, but I feel Marvel tries to play up the "This is insane" factor a little too much in their trailer. I prefer the original intro because it's just doing everything you'd expect out of a live-action Spider-Man intro with bad web special effects and wall crawling and a lot of posing, then out of loving nowhere Spider-Man summons a giant robot at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPX-FX0KStE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

If Deadline's sources on this are good, Marvel apparently has some very ambitious TV plans for the next few years... which, despite their corporate ownership, may not necessarily involve traditional broadcast or cable networks.

WGN America? That's an odd (possible) choice for a network...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Amy Bouzaglo of Amy's Baking Company as Typhoid Mary.

Emeril Lagasse as Bullseye. BAM

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Why did they cancel Spectacular then? :( I was under the impression that Disney did not own that show fully, prompting its cancellation after Disney got the rights to make a Spider-Man show.

Disney never owned the show, in fact SSM was off the air before Disney even bought Marvel. It got canceled because Sony sold all their animation rights on Marvel characters back to Marvel. However, Sony retained the rights to SSM, and its character designs, storylines, etc, so they got stuck where neither Marvel or Sony could produce it. Additionally, it was got hosed over even before the Marvel/Sony deal by switching networks from the CW to Disney XD in between seasons, which lost it a lot of viewers/ratings (because a lot of people don't even get Disney XD).

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 22, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

for the most part, good voice actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSD1E7YjHQ

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I actually did a spit-take at "CRY FOR THE MOOOOON". Goddamn those intros are fantastic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Walrus posted:

:getin:

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the "reasons" they're deciding to do a live action take on this is to capture the will-be-teens demographic that were kids/the main demographic of the Young Justice cartoon when it was airing.

"The Young Justice cartoon when it was airing"? You mean like, March?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That reminds me that the studio behind the YJ videogame has said that if the game sells, they're willing to make another one set on what would've been the third season of the show. Problem is, the game loving sucks.

The game actually came out? Wow, I thought that would never happen. Too bad, I used to think my favorite part of YJ was that the two seasons were supposed to be bridged by a game that never happened.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

CN absolutely screwed YJ over. As well as JLU and GL. And you know who runs/owns CN? Same people who own DC. Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with any of the things it owns. Looney Tunes, DC, they are just completely in over their heads.

Well, CN has pretty traditionally had problems scheduling/airing action cartoons really. Most of their shows, both licensed and original, tend to be comedies, which is why they usually try to lump any action cartoons they have together (when they have action cartoons to even air) in some sort of block to help them get more exposure than they would faring out in the wild plains in between reruns of Johnny Test (ughhhh).

Of course, this often leads to hilarious situations like the original CN action block, Toonami, where you had Batman and Superman playing at the same time as a bunch of anime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I liked the ripped up car hulk hands bit that they stole from the Ultimate Destruction game too.

That for real might be my favorite part in any of the Marvel movies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, somebody saaaaaaave meeeee from this show it sounds awful :v:.

"We will follow Bruce Wayne right up until the point where he gets interesting." Jesus, why? I mean, they proved they can do a superhero TV show. Arrow exists. We have the technology. Just make a Batman show if you want a Batman show so bad. Or make a GCPD show if you want a GCPD show. But not Smallville 2.0. Anything but Smallville 2.0 :negative:.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I did not see someone mention the best part of this: you briefly see "Superman" on-screen pushing away Apokolips (NO SERIOUSLY, DARKSEID) in the costume.

It's all CGI because he wouldn't wear the outfit. The only time you see the costume is a goddamn Poser model.

Jesus, is Tom Welling allergic to Superman costumes?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

He was barely ever in the DCAU to be fair. But even the DCAU fell victim to the Bat Embargo, didn't it? JLU basically had Batman and no one else from his books for a while, because apparently that would confuse people who watched Batman Begins.

Green Lantern was a special case, because there has pretty much not been one GL character since the Golden Age version. Additionally, the cartoon went with a lesser known GL and introduced a lot of people to the GL in general through him and kind of proved that you didn't need to be put older versions of the character on a pedestal to make it successful, so suddenly seeing Ryan Reynolds play the older, white version of the character was kind of a slap in the face to a lot of newer fans.

No, JLU had a ton of Batman, just no supporting characters or villains of Batman.

Also, as far as GL goes, even before John was the GL on JLU, Kyle Rayner was the first Lantern that got introduced on Superman:TAS. They were all about not using Hal Jordan in the DCAU. Y'know, aside from that one fantastic gag in the time travel episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Does anyone on this planet care about Peggy Carter? I mean really?

Captain America? :v:

But no, I agree. I really liked her character in the movie, but she wasn't some huge breakout star that I could see as the lead on a TV show at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe they can get Happy Hogan and Betty Ross on there too, to really complete the cast of characters no one cares about from the movies.

By your powers combined, I am Captain Backup Character!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yesssss :neckbeard:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So hey, Powers is being made into a show... for PSN? So that's something. IGNORE ME.

e: VVV Well, poo poo. :mad:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 21, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Don't know about the character, but the actress is 14. I agree though that she looks much older.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Urdnot Fire posted:

Don't a lot more people know of the goofy weak Dr. Light from the Teen Titans cartoon than the rapist from the comics anyways?

Maybe, but you're assuming that DC cares about gaining a new market that has been raised on the cartoons instead of making horrible decisions constantly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I thought that's why he built Roll.

:master:

Brilliant.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I keep seeing people say good things about Agents of SHIELD. Has the show actually turned around enough that people would recommend it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly that line made me more hype than probably anything else in the trailer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well I really hope Daredevil becomes a popular show so that it'll give me the new lowest-effort Halloween costume ever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Man, I hope they end introducing the Trinity of Sin then. Easily one of the most interesting concepts brought by the N52

I wanna say "Counterpoint: No" but y'know what, as long as they just have the Phantom Stranger actually be a Stranger and not just say "OH HEY IT'S YOUR OLD PAL JUDAS" then sure, whatever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Because the shows would be made by the same company with characters owned by the same company and if they inhabited the same shared universe there would literally be no reason that they couldn't use a given character outside of not feeling like paying the actor to appear on a different show? It would be in their best interest because then you don't have random audience members wondering why two or three different people are playing slightly different versions of the same character at the same time, potentially.

If you notice, I have left out Constantine in almost all of this, because that is a show that could totally exist in its own world without really confusing general audiences. Batman stuff is very much a part of Arrow already, and Arrow is crossing over with The Flash. Gotham has nothing to do with anything, but obviously will feature Bat characters. The movie is heavily centered around Batman and the soon to be Justice League. Teen Titans wants Nightwing as the leader/main character, who is a Batman character, and the principle Titan villain is Deathstroke, who has been a central character on Arrow for quite some time and Cyborg, currently a central JL member was a central character to the Titans as well.

No other shows are using Nightwing or Cyborg right now though, and I don't think audiences will have a problem accept that Cyborg is a different guy on TV, unless you're seriously suggesting they actually pay Ray Fisher to play Cyborg in the Titans show as well, which would be silly for the very "confusing" reason you gave. The only real problem is Nightwing being so closely related to Batman, but honestly I don't think it's that much of a big deal. Everyone is making comparisons to the old cartoon, which is silly because it's a cartoon, but also to be expected because it's the only adaptation of the Titans in non-print media. However one thing I think is important in the cartoon is that they used Robin, went for 5 seasons and alluded to Batman like twice. It'll be very different in a live-action show for actual adults because the cartoon also had the distinction/possible advantage of the Titans never having civilian identities. But Nightwing is a character I can see working pretty well outside of Batman. As long as they get across, somehow, that "Hey, Nightwing was Robin now he has a new name", everybody will know who he is and how he's been trained and then they never have to mention Batman at all.

I think you're suggesting WB should try to start some sort of cohesive shared TV continuity, which might be nice I guess? But ultimately what would be the point, to make it like actual comics where characters from a more popular show can pop in to boost another show's ratings? As long as the shows don't start trying to make versions of each others' characters, like Arrow or Flash introducing their own Cyborg, then I think viewers will be just fine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Flash at least is getting right into things and not spending an entire season slightly ashamed of their source material.

For those who missed it

I'm so happy right now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Well shoot, that kind of news is going to cause a firestorm.

Are you trying to get a job writing for Gotham?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Can we get a tv show about Uncle Ben as a conscientious objector during Vietnam that struggles to expose Harrison Osborn's corrupt dealings as a part time photographer?

Ha ha, just kidding, they wouldn't make a lovely smallville type show with any kind of progressive or pacifist message.

Entire show is Uncle Ben in 'Nam with his war buddy Frank Castle. They bond as Ben talks about his new wife and Castle talks of his newborn son back home. But over the course of the season, Castle is showing signs of delighting in war far too much. In the season/series-once-it-gets-canceled finale, Ben tries to stop Frank from calling in an airstrike on a village some Vietcong soldiers are hiding in, telling him "With great power comes great responsibility"

e: But seriously, why the hell would you make a Superman prequel? I mean, there are so many things that can go wrong.

• Exhaust your TV budget on effects/costumes to make it look like an alien planet and still have it look like poo poo.
  • Have like 5 recognizable characters to even comic nerds.
  • Zero crossover potential
  • Entire story ends with everyone inevitably dead is a downer.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 9, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

This is not really a comic thing though, more of a serialized media thing. An actual relationship is apparently harder to write or less interesting to watch than a courtship.

Yeah, I was gonna say, it's a CW show, they're all about the soapy melodrama.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Young Justice was pretty good.

Oh it's ON NOW, motherfucker.

no but I'm not gonna do the bi-monthly "YJ was good/bad" showdown

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TV Executives posted:

If they cast a woman with 34E breasts [...] Oh can you imagine the ratings.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but DC's doing the dumb thing where Batman and Superman can't show up in a show because they're in a movie and the fragile populace just CANNOT COMPREHEND two actors being Batman at the same time, aren't they? So are they just gonna have Nightwing and Oracle tiptoe around their relation to Batman? That'll be interesting/fun to watch.

e:

muscles like this? posted:

Who wants to bet that Starfire will not be orange.

Who wants to bet the sky is blue.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Is Ted Kord even in the comics? I feel like there was a brief Kord cameo in one of the Justice League comics, but I don't know if that spun off into anything. I actually am not sure what happened to Blue Beetle post New52. It could have been that they didn't want to completely and utterly different Blue Beetles out there or something.

Ted is currently guest-starring (or co-starring, who knows how long he'll be appearing) in Justice League 3000 along with Booster Gold, so yeah he's in comics.

Oh god that's so bad. It looks like Palmer Technologies went bankrupt before Ray could get all the parts together and he just had to strap all the pieces of armor he had together onto some spandex and hope for the best. And then there's the helmet, oh god, that visor is just miserable. I get that the CW isn't Marvel Studios and can't put together an Iron Man suit, but wow I just really don't think it works; I wasn't a fan of Laurel's new Canary uniform, but that is 1000x better than this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I can't disagree enough... barring the visor, which yeah, could be better. Like, on a CW budget, that suit looks really solid, especially considering Routh and the stuntguys will have to, y'know, move around in it. (The Iron Man suit in the movies is about 70% CG for that reason, otherwise RDJ would be completely immobile). And the Canary outfit is a nice compromise between a classic look, and something practical and non-objectifying. (I have a soft spot for the fishnets, but mostly because, like the Power Girl boob window, all the attempts to 'fix' it are usually either ugly, or offensively bland.)

Well yeah, I know it's not gonna be Iron Man, but... I don't know, I guess I just have an idea in my head about what power armor should be and that is nowhere near it. It just doesn't seem... armor-y enough. (I mean, he's got great big portions that are unarmored even though I guess they could just say the red undersuit is Bullshit-anium that is super-strong) I guess I'm really just letting the lack of a proper helmet get to me. I mean, I know it's easier (and way cheaper) to film Routh's actual face than to do an Iron Man-style in-helmet shot of Routh with HUDs and poo poo, but man... it's armor, man, wear a drat helmet.

Oh and I should've phrased my Canary complaint better. I actually really am okay with the new outfit except that blonde wig looks awful on Laurel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple-choice as unsubtle as possible!" - Joker

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Grodd finally got his revenge on Luthor.

I'm kind of glad Eiling's gone just because with Waller already on Arrow, I didn't want/need another "Oh poo poo the government knows about the hero's secret identity" twist.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon they'll go for a kind of alternate universe angle; the CW will be Earth 1 and CBS will be Earth 2.

Hopefully this can only lead to the Supergirl show introducing a Jay Garrick and then we eventually get a Flash of Two Worlds crossover

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
ugh, I hate the Atom's not-Iron-Man suit and his budget not-repulsor lightning blasts are not doing a good job winning me over on the thing. I mean, I know, I know, it's TV, but still...

Other than that though man I'm hype. So is there gonna be another actual crossover set of episodes or is the half the cast of Arrow just going to move to Central for a while? Because that was a lot of cameos.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The first time a superhero defeats a supervillian by convincing somebody to get a vasectomy.

Special crossover with Arrow as Diggle shows up to give Eddie a long talk about how fatherhood changes your whole life and at the end Eddie decides he isn't ready for that responsibility. Smash cut to STAR Labs as Harrison Wells looks at his hand fading out, Marty-McFly-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, Preacher is going to be amazing just based on casting. It's on AMC right? So they will have a good show to replace Mad Men with?

"And maybe we can stagger the seasons on that into half-seasons with yearlong gaps too!" - AMC exec, cackling wildly