Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
In response the SHIELD ep3 having created an original villain:

Hall is the Avenger villain Graviton. I don't know if his comic origin was the same, but he isn't original. I also enjoyed the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

If Deadline's sources on this are good, Marvel apparently has some very ambitious TV plans for the next few years... which, despite their corporate ownership, may not necessarily involve traditional broadcast or cable networks.

Please be Netflix!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Vertigo is almost dead, anyways.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I suggested that in CD once and I was told I was being racist. Thing is, heroes for hire comes out of the Blacksploitation and Kung Fu crazes of the 70s.

Michael Jae White is pretty much Luke Cage already when you think about it.

I wanted a Terry Crews/ Jason Statham Cage/ Fist movie. Set in the 70's.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but as much as I love early Power Man, Marvel got away with that poo poo because it was the 70s. Anyone doing that kind of thing today would basically be committing suicide.

Black Dynamite worked because it was a comedy directed by a black man. Without that strong satirical element and a black project lead (who doesn't have to answer to a white guy in a suit), all a kung fu blaxploitation show would communicate is that you think 1970s views on race relations are really cool and you wish you could go back to that.

I'm glad I own Black Dynamite because I'm intersted if it'll hold up in 20 years. Have any of you tried to watch I'm Gonna Get You Sucka lately? It's horrible, outside of specific scenes that I may be viewing through nostalgia vision.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Twilight? fuuuuuuuuuck. Give me more Whedon alums.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How much TV do you guys watch? I haven't had TV on my TV for around eight years or so. I have netflix and my bluray player, so I don't actually watch many TV shows.

I ask because so many of the complaints I've seen directed towards SHIELD sound like some of the complaints I've made about comics when someone new to the hobby has asked "Why is this comic so hated."

I enjoy SHIELD so much. It's a weekly dose of live action Marvel. I think Ward is a little stiff, but I love Coulson, May, Fitz & Simmons and even don't find Skye annoying. Is this just a by product of me only watching three or four tv shows?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean, as someone who watches a lot of TV shows, SHIELD ranks pretty low. The acting isn't great, the plotting feels almost irrelevant, the quippy dialogue grates sometimes. I don't think it's a bad show by any means, but it feels very early 2000s in tone and style, before networks realized that they didn't have to settle for cheap-looking monster of the week shows.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I'm wondering what people see in May. I like Ming-Na, and I keep waiting for her to do something, but she just stands around looking sullen and talking about how her past is dark and mysterious.

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. It isn't that SHIELD is bad TV, it's just not doing anything new or particularly innovating. Since I don't immerse myself in TV the way I do comics, I'm not as worn out of the common tropes as some of you.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons with the triads, where Homer is saying the little Asian guy in the white suit is going to do something awesome. I'm waiting for her to do something awesome (the jet gag from last episode was a start). I also appreciate how much Coulson values her input, also illustrated in a pretty funny scene last episode.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

It seems that for a lot of guys my age, Preacher served as the introduction to non-superhero comics. It came along at exactly the right time and place to appeal to non-religious college kids like me. It didn't hurt that for almost the entirety of its run Wizard magazine never gave up an opportunity to suck it off.

In retrospect, I would've been much happier with the book if not for the weird attempt at a love triangle that comes pretty close to derailing the entire plot. There's also a lot in the series that seems like it was thrown in for the sake of being thrown in, like Ennis is drunk on the freedom of being at Vertigo and being able to say just about whatever comes to mind.

As for the subject matter itself, hell, I often laughed. Rereading it now, I don't so much.

Preacher is responsible for bringing me back into comics in like '98 or '99.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ha! Little bit of dialogue from Dollhouse there at the end of this week's SHIELD.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hulk hammer throwing one tank and stalking towards another with the destroyed turret of different tank was only ever topped by the "puny god" scene in Avengers.

Edit: poo poo, I thought this was the movie thread.

\/\/\/That was cool!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 6, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

We are going to follow Bruce Wayne through all the boring stuff no one cares about and then end the show before it gets to the part people actually want to see. Yes, this is how we are trying to sell people on the show.

Also, how can Joker, Riddler, and Catwoman be on this show if all of them are basically the same age as Bruce? The Joker might be slightly older? I guess the Riddler might as well, but both of them did not become super villains until after Batman started his career.

This would have been better than what will actually happen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

ToastyPotato I need you to write a book all about Smallville. I seriously had more fun reading that than I ever did during the three seasons I managed to sit through.

No poo poo, please effort post ASAP, I can't believe that poo poo!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Reaper was a great show that died well before its time. Okay, mostly it was Ray Wise. But still a great show.

Most lovable Satan ever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I really hope iZombie doesn't take off, I absolutely hated the comic and couldn't take it being the Hot New Zombie Show everyone won't shut up about.

Aside from the rushed ending, what didn't you like about iZombie?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even finish watching season 3. Did they make a season 4?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I gave Arrow another shot since I didn't actually watch as many episodes as I thought. Just finished the episode with Deadshot and I am now hooked. Now I understand the disappointment with SHIELD.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, honestly, I have an kneejerk negative reaction to any superhero live action stuff which seems to shy away from the fantastic aspects of superhero comics due to Smallville. I just do not want to watch a superhero show about people in t-shirts vaguely doing CGI at each other while mostly dealing with bad drama.

I was convinced, and have posts in this thread, that I had watched half of the first season. Turns out it was only two episodes, but it had enough of CW teen drama/ rich folk problems BS that it turned me off. It has only been the repeated posts in here praising it and being sick for two days that pushed me to give it another shot.

EDIT: Forgot to say that seeing just how ethusiastically Arrow embraces its comic origins is why I now understand the disappointment in SHIELD. It's a solid Whedon show, and I still enjoy it, but seing how balls out Arrow goes makes me wish it was more.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 4, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In surprising brand synergy with Agents of SHIELD, this week's Loki: Agent of Asgaurd involves Lorile so that next episode, at least a few nerds will be able to asnwer the question of "who the hell is that?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

You know if that was a Kree, which a chunk of people seem to think it was, Skye could be being set up for Captain Marvel-dom let me just put out a hardy and sincere gently caress THAT!

Saddly it makes sense in that chickenshit focous group worshipping way to stick one of their most marketable heroines in to TV land purgatory instead of risking a movie.

Except Skye has nothing in common with Carol Danvers, so it won't be happening.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

So um

Barry, did you... step on something on your way to stop crime?

Doing a kickflip on an invisible skateboard is all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man, even if I hadn't started watching Arrow and had seen what a good super hero show could be, there's no way I could defend that Deathlok costume. Ugh.

Also: gently caress TV scheduling. No more SHIELD until April after only three episodes in three months? I can't wait until broadcast dies and things move to the Netflix format of everything at once, once a year.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When will they stop?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ffffffffffuck!

I was so happy that Hand turned out not be a bad guy, and then Ward loving double taps her. As long as they don't back off on that twist, I think we'll have some good episodes in the future. SHIELD still has a long ways to go to catch up to Arrow, but these past couple weeks have been promising!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

This rules, Scalped rules.

If you don't like it from the start, I don't think you'll like it ever. The art stays dark and scratchy, the main character is a real torn up jerk with no good choices left, not a Wolverine style noir hero who talks about how mean he is and constantly redeems himself. Scalped is about a community under attack from the outside and the inside, and you can count the number of happy moments on one hand.

Scalped is one of the bleakest books I have ever read. I love it, but I have doubts over how it would translate to TV.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I also worry about the casting. If they gently caress it up it could be a huge PR disaster.

Oh god, I can just see generic white guy actor cast as Dash.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hi liter posted:

So do ya'll think that this (edit for clarity: Agents of SHIELD) will tie in more directly with GotG by the end of the season? Yea we got Kree, but something a little more substantive than an offhand reference? I mean, GotG could be the biggest movie coming out this August after all.

Only one episode left, so probably not.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Timothy Hunter, Doctor Occult, Mr E, Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Dr Fate ...

I'll be disappointed if Swamp Thing doesn't at least get namechecked, for old times sake. :colbert:

SHIELD already name checked Man-Thing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sleepingbuddha posted:

=

Even Sam Jackson seemed pretty bored working on the show. It is funny how the long running Marvel/DC debate has moved to television with the SHIELD/Arrow debate.

I legit enjoy SHIELD. It's one of only a very tv shows that I not only watch, but make an attempt to watch as it airs.

But there's no SHIELD/Arrow debate. Arrow is hands down a better show in every single way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

something clever posted:

I want to get into it, but do not want to slog through the first 19. Is it necessary to watch all of them? Can I skip to the end of the season or is there a preferred watchlist going into season 2? I am definitely looking forward to Flash and wanted to get some background on that shared universe.

I honestly only felt the first two or threw episodes were a slog. I was really down onArrow and poo poo talked it a bit until the third time I attempted to actually watched it and got past those first few episodes. Near the end of the first season it goes full on comic book amd is wonderful.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

I was under the impression that the whole digital conversion changed this? Maybe I just imagined that, but I'm still confused as to why ABC would literally give their poo poo away as a broadcast network but then not toss it online at a reasonable amount of time. As of right now, if I want to stream Agent Carter episode 4 on ABC, I need to have a cable account.

I already said? ABC's site? I'm required to log in with an account from a cable company if I want to view it any sooner online. Pretty sure it's a week-long wait before they stream it there. I'm aware that there are loads of places you can watch it illegally, but I would actually like them to know that people like this show.

Download it now, have it play in the background on the offical site next week.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I jsut really hope that this Daredevil doesn't start with Matt killing badguys like the Affleck version did.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Gamma/super soldier serum enhanced French Bulldogs.

Kingpin pictures.

Pvt Pyle is back!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Lazy edit for what it might actually look like on tv.

For some reason, I really like the red piping on her top.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I'm really worried I'm gonna watch the whole thing in a row. Is it 10 or 13?

I work the weekend, so it's going to be a two day affair for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Just finished The Punisher and oh man, I'm so glad Curtis made it out alive. He had so many death flags on him that every scene he appeared made me apprehensive it would be the one he'd bite it. Also holy gently caress at the beatdowns in the last two episodes, specially dragging Russo's face in the mirror.

Overall it was pretty great, definitely not what I expected from a Punisher show.

Ending Villain spoilers: It wasn't until that face dragging that I realized we just saw the origin of Jigsaw.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For jj, I liked the journey but didn't care for the destination.

Series finale: cutting out the supporting cast like that was a bad idea. Especially how she treated Malcolm. That guy was there for every step of the way and she constantly dumped on him. I understand pushing Trish away, it's bad and dumb, but I understand it. But Malcolm was treated poorly. That said, he had a great story arc this season. Trish was really, really repetitious and I'm actually afraid to see what they do with Hellcat.

Loved the flashback episode, but that was the height of the series for me, after that it started going downhill. I also don't get why they had her push away her friends, but still reach out to Oscar. I could have bought her pushing everyone away, that's a bad decision that fits. Oh well, still better than iron fist

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If this is because of the disney streaming service, I;m gonna be so pissed.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

All the movies we're watching are actually the in universe reinactment stories. Chris Evans is playing Chris Evans playing Steve Rodgers. How deep does the rabbit hole go

This answers the question of if Matt Damon was actually portraying Matt Damon portraying Loki in a play or not!

EDIT: WV spoilers I also loving loved that the laugh track played over the tense "Can't I" and the argument kept going through the credits until Vision broke through them with his frustration and fear! That was amazing, and then we get the Monkey's Paw door knock and whew all that.

So what was the reference with the paper towel commercial? When Wanda put the fear hex on the Avengers, that was in Lagos, right?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What was this commercial representing, her time gone during the snap?