Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.






The heavy door takes a couple hard shoves before the iron hinges finally creak shut and the fire starts to warm you again. The large be-furred man who left five minutes ago has returned, already shuffing off a heavy layer of snow.



He wipes the snow out of his beard with a meaty paw, already sidling up to the bar. "Aye, no one's goin' out there for a while, not if they got any brains in their noggin." He shakes his head as he pulls the fresh mug closer, then turns back to you. "Sorry boys, caravan ain't movin' for a while. Best get settled in."

Duvik's Pass may not look like much, but at least they have a bar. A bar. With a shocking amount of miners in it. In fact, given the piddly amount of houses you saw on the way in, you're pretty sure drat near every miner in town is in here.

One goddamn day on the road, and you're already stuck in a frozen hellhole of an out-of-work mining village.

Sounds about right.

Orlaf isn't paying you enough for this poo poo.






So if you guys want to put your character name in bold at the top of your posts, that'd be great. Normal text for in-character stuff, italics for out-of-character. I'm sure you guys know the drill.

Don't forget to roll your Icon relationships since it's the start of a session! For a refresher:

"For now, as a player, you need to know that
when youíre called on to check your icon relationships,
youíll roll a single d6 for each point of relationship. You
roll 1, 2, or 3 (or possibly 4 at epic level) six-sided dice,
the same number of dice as the points you spent for
the relationship with that icon.

Hope for 6s: If any die is a 6, you get some
meaningful advantage from the relationship without
having complications. If two or three dice come up 6,
thatís even better.

Look out for 5s: If any die is a 5, your connection
to the icon is going to work out as well as a 6 would,
but with some unexpected complication. If itís a good
icon, you might be drawn into some obligation. If itís a
villainous icon, you might attract unwanted attention."

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2013 around 07:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.


Shakti

Shakti sat at the bar, back ramrod-straight. She stared down at the thin stew she'd been served.

She was not ready to be locked in with this many people at once. But she'd been wandering the trackless snow for weeks. The caravan that found her was finally giving her some direction.

Dark Lord: 4, 3
Nidal:
5

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug asshole


Rythin

Rythin sighs, and shakes his head. "Of course not. Is it too much to hope there's some good dwarven ale at this bar?" He orders a beer and sits back to watch the others in the caravan. As nice as they seemed, he wasn't going to trust them immediately. He'd been betrayed before.


Ashdraanol (Conflicted): One 4
Caincakah (Positive): One 6, one 5
Arcanist (Negative): One 3


GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2013 around 17:16

Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Erevan

Erevan heaves a sigh of his own and takes a sip of his beer. Idly, he wonders how a place surrounded by ice and snow can serve only warm beer - and bad warm beer at that. He settles back into his chair and considers ordering some food. It looks like he'll have plenty of time to finish it.

Relationship Rolls
Templar(s) (Negative): 6
Nidal (Positive): 5
Meyas (Negative): 2

Maleketh fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2013 around 00:04

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010



Ziria

Ziria? Ziria is happily lounging in the bar and having a drink. "Aw, come on now, it COULD be worse." She tips her cup to the group in general. "We could be stuck in a -cave- or something. That's not fun... well, ok, it -can- be fun, but it often isn't. And hey! Alcohol. Hurray for alcohol."


http://orokos.com/roll/142873
Augusta: 6, 4
Mier'dames: 4

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006




Nathanial Brekenridge, Roaming Bastard at Large (Bard, mechanically speaking)

It's funny, how often a crowded bar connected into Nathanial's lives. Be it shelter, learning where to go, or just getting drunk, no matter where or when Nate went, a bar would be there.

And he was there, nursing a warm beer and figuring out what to do next. Putting his mug close to a window, he hopes the cold will pass through the glass and help cool down the ale. Looking around, he notes, besides the others Orlaf hired, drat near all the residents of town. Well, if you had to be snowed in, was better to be stuck with company. Plus, company means an opportunity for coin, once he ate. Nate patted his harmonica in his pocket. Wasn't much, but it was something.

When Ziria cheered for alcohol, Nate raises his own mug. "Likewise, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

Relationship Rolls:
Sand: 2
Xizael: 3
Caincakah: 2
Bodhrisin: 5


Once everyone posts and makes their Icon Rolls, if anyone wants I can use Storyteller to try to improve their roll.

pre:
Nathanial Brekenridge 
Level 2 Human Bard

Str 10 +0
Dex 16 +3 (14+2 human)
Con 12 +1
Int 10 +0
Wis 12 +1
Cha 18 +4 (16 +2 Bard)

HP: 32
Init: 5 (+3 Dex Mod + Level 2)
Armor Class (light armor): 15 (12 + 1 Con + Lev 2)
Phy Def: 13 (10 + 1 Con + Lev 2)
Mental Def: 14 (11 + 1 Wis + Lev 2)
Recoveries: 8
Recovery Dice: (1d8*Level 2) + 1 Con

Melee Attack:
Dex 3 + Level 2 = 5 VS AC
Hit: Weapon (1d8) + Dex 3 damage
Miss: Damage equal to level 2

Ranged Attack:
Dex 3 + Level 2 = 5 VS AC
Hit: Weapon (1d6) + Dex 3 damage
Miss: -

Racial abilities: Quick to Fight
-At the start of each battle roll initiative twice and choose the result

Bard abilities: 
Bardic Songs (FEAT: spells continue for one round after being stunned, silenced, or unconscious,
allowing you to repick them up next turn) 
Battle Cries 
Spells

One Unique Thing: Every time I die, I wake up in a new world.  Needless to say, I want to stick around as long as possible.

Relationships:
Sand, Wilderness Goddess of Debate (1 Positive): The opportunity to debate true multiversal theory and politics?  
Of course Sand is interested.

Xizael, Goddess of the Burnt Dawn (1 Conflicted): How did this man come into the world?  Did he breach a gap in the realms?  
How will he leave?  How long does he intend to stay?  Nate brings up quite a few questions for the Goddess of the Burnt Dawn.

Caincakah, Goddess of the Black Mind (1 Negative): Her ledgers tell who lives and who dies, but Nathanial Brekenridge is a 
leech - how many time has he died, yet still exists?  Perhaps here, in her world, this leech can be permanently dealt with.

Bodhrisin, the Goddess of Seduction and Torment (1 Conflicted): Oh the fun you can see with a world-hopping man!  Not only 
does he have the most wonderful stories, perhaps if you wine and dine him enough, he'll take you with him to the next world
 - or just sneak through when he dies.  And oh what sights you'll see...

Backgrounds: (8 pts)
Live long enough, you get good at talking to people +2
Get good at being sneaky and thiefy too +2
Facts, Rumors, Memories, and Flashbacks of the Past +4 (+2 + two from Loremaster)
I hate roughing it (but somehow can survive) +2

Feats: (3 at Level 2)
Bardic Songs: (spells continue for one round after being stunned, silenced, or unconscious,
allowing you to repick them up next turn)
Battle Chant: damage dice are now d6s
Pull it Together: add +1d4 healing per point on the Escalation Die


Talents:
Battle Skald
Loremaster
- B 2 pts for a bardic lore backround
- C 1 pt relationship with Archmage (replaced with Bodhrisin)
Storyteller

Gear:
Nonmagical musical instruments (harmonica and stand), melee weapon and ranged weapon (longsword and 
shortbow), light armor (somewhat ragtag, a little goofy looking), minor elements of gear (little notes of 
information)


Battle Cries: (2 at Lev 2, 3 due to Battle Skald)
Move it!
Flexible Melee attack
Trigger: Natural Even Roll
Effect: Choose one: one unengaged ally can move as free action OR one engaged ally can make a disengage check 
as free action

Pull it together!
Flexible Melee attack
Trigger: Natural 11+; use only twice per battle
Effect: One nearby ally can heal using a recovery
  FEAT: add +1d4 healing per point on the Escalation Die

Stay Strong!
Flexible Melee attack
Trigger: Natural 16+
Effect: Give nearby ally +2 bonus to AC until start of your next turn

Songs and Spells: (3 at Level 2)
Battle Chant
Ranged Spell, At-Will
Special: When using Battle chant, can choose any battle cry effect you know as if you were making a basic 
melee attack, with battle chant roll taking the place of the basic melee attack roll
Target: one nearby enemy
Attack: Cha 4 + Lev 2 VS MD
Hit: 1d6 + Cha 4 damage
FEAT: damage dice are now d6s

Song of Heroes
Bardic Song, Recharge 11+ after battle
Quick action each turn, 11+ to sustain
Opening and Sustaining effect: you and nearby allies gain +1 attack bonus until the start of your next turn
Final Verse: Effect ends immediately, but one ally of your choice gains +2 bonus to their next attack roll 
this battle

Charm Person
Ranged Spell, Daily
Special: cannot be cast in combat or on a target that has rolled initiative
Target: one nearby creature with 40hp or less
Attack: Cha 4 + Lev 2 Vs MD
Hit: Target believes you are their friend
Special: on a miss, spell is non-detectable unless missed by 4+ or natural 1.
NOTE: Edited in Lev 2 changes.

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2014 around 00:17

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dynamis

Dynamis sits back, sipping at a drink and ordering a small meal. After a moment he speaks up. "Indeed a few days rest as one waits for the weather to clear is a small matter."

Relationship Rolls:
Augustia: 4,3
Touzicon: 3

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.


Sidnae

While the rest of the group is getting settled in, Sidnae is busy screaming at a bouncer (or as close to a bouncer as a small bar in the middle of nowhere has) outside. "What the hell do you mean she can't come in!?" she yells while furiously pointing at her companion, Genevieve. "She's a living, breathing, thinking creature just like the rest of us! She deserves a warm bed and a drink!"

"It's fine, Sidnae. I've endured the cold before, I can do it for one more night." The bear lumbers over to the side of the bar and begins digging into the snow, trying to make a warmer spot to sleep. "Alright! Fine! To hell with it! I'll bring you a beer and a blanket." She stomps her way into the bar, slamming the door shut behind her.

Sand 6,4,3

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


Alright, we'll give Comrade Koba another couple of secs to show up and roll, but for now the Icons stand at (spoiled if you don't want to know, also for future reference if/when you roll Icons remind me if you're positive, negative, or conflicted with them):


Sand: 6(+)
Bodhrisin: 5(/)
Augustia: 6(+)
Templar: 5(-)
Nidal: 6(+), 5(+)
Caincakah: 6(+), 5(+)


Also if you could use your name at the top of your post as a link to your sheet, that'd be awesome too. Maleketh and GeneralYeti nailed it, basically.

Also I'm going to tweak the Icon system slightly (maybe, I may have just misunderstood the rules) where having a story relationship like we just rolled doesn't mean that literal agents of an Icon will show up, but rather some of the themes/domains/etc. of those Icons will come up, particularly with the gods. Since most of Circadia's icons are gods, I figured you guys didn't just want to fight cultists 24/7

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Drunken Folk Dancer


Brother Giles




Giles is seated at a corner table, eyeing the rest of the crowd with a mix of curiosity and suspicion. He stirs the wooden bowl of steaming hot broth slowly, glancing at each one in turn. These seemed like worthy, if not entirely trustworthy, traveling companions.



Augustia (+) - 1
Mier'Dames (+) - 5
Meyas (-) - 3

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


"Oy, is that...?" You hear a voice call from a nearby table. Three soldiers are partaking of the inn's many fine ales. They're unarmed, but their tunics are distinctly town guard-y and are emblazoned with the sigil of Brindonford, one of the nearest cities that still calls Circadia liege. "It is! Erevan, you ol' so-and-so, come have a drink on us!" One of the soldiers is waving Erevan over, an elven woman he served alongside in some little skirmish or other that Erevan could barely recall. The woman herself was memorable, however.



She was a fan of ostentatious jewelry and fad hairstyles, in staunch defiance of military code, yet her personality was so infectious that most couldn't help but like her in spite of themselves. Elfa (her real name is considerably longer and less just her mistaking her own species for a nickname) is a big, strong woman, particularly for an elf, more than happy to spill a few drinks with an old friend. She looks up at Erevan as he approaches: "What're you doin' in town son? Somehow I doubt yer here on the same official business as us, eh?" One of the other men hisses at her in an attempt at silencing her, but she waves him off with a wobbly hand. "Oh hush, he's alright. We're here to help 'em out with the mine and water situation, yeh? They sent us complaints that everyone in town was gettin' sick, and could we please send a doc to help 'em out. Not a day later we get another letter from 'em, sayin' that the drat mine's been overrun with a tribe of kobolds. 'course they didn't actually say that, just said somethin' was wrong with the mine, we had to find out the hard way. Just got 'ere yesterday."

She takes a long drink from her mug. "Anyway, they ain't payin' us enough to take on a phalanx of green'uns unarmed, and I'm not sure how they expected us to do much doctorin'. S'plain to anyone that they've got a hosed water supply, comes out of the well all brown'n green. Considering that well's fed with snow runoff, I'm thinkin' it ain't exactly natural. But, again," One more draught. "Ain't payin' us enough to do a proper investigation. Now we're just snowed in and tryin' to avoid drinkin' the well water. Hence," she points at her mug.

"How 'bout you?"

Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Erevan

Erevan leaves his beer and takes a seat with Elfa and the other soldiers. To find a familiar place in a backwater town like this is a welcome thing for the former soldier. He takes a set next to his former comrade and listens to her problems. "Doing less exciting work, and probably for less pay. At least your job is steady. If I'd known I'd end up as a caravan guard, I'd have stayed in the army." The elf shakes his head and smiles wryly, but he's considerably more worried than he lets on. He's stuck in a town with a poisoned water supply and a kobold infestation? This could spiral downhill, and quickly.

Still, he supposes, there's no sense in worrying about it now. Erevan's not really in a position to do anything about it anyway - so he changes the subject. "I can't believe they're still letting you dress like that. How do you keep getting away with it?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


Elfa shrugs. "My CO told me to shave it, and I said f'it's a problem, he needs t' prove it. Guy grabs my hair and yanks back, I break his wrist in six places." She takes another drink. "Probly' not gonna be usin' that hand for a while, but no one else had th' balls to try again, so." She shrugs, then seems to take notice of the table of heavily armed guards at Erevan's old table. "Who're yer friends? Look a bit... unfit for guardin' work, eh? Oh well, beggar's can't be choosin' I suppose." She waves an empty hand over at the table. "Oy! C'mon over here, a friend of Ev's a friend of mine! Drinks all around 'keep!"

The bartender begins filling up several more mugs. She turns back to Erevan: "Brass gave us a bunch 'o cash for room and board and whanot, but oll Griff over there's kind enough t' give us free rooms for the duration, AINT'CHA GRIFF!?" She yells over at the innkeep.
He twitches slightly and responds: "Aye, anythin' for the fine soldiers of Brindonford!"

Elfa winks.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010



Ziria

Ziria doesn't need a second invitation, taking her mug to join the other group. "Much obliged!" She seems particularly amused at seeing another elf close to her own proportions. "The name's Ziria. Pleased to meet ya!" She idly pulls a seat, and plunks down on it, next to the table.

"So, ah, I hope you don't think I was overhearing--not like I can help it with theseÖ" She flicks one of her ears with a wink. "--but I think you were talking about something troublesome?"

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug asshole


Rythin

Rythin saunters over, pulling up a seat next to Erevan. "Ziria, there's no need to go looking for trouble. We're guards, it'll find us."

He looks over to the other elf. "Elfa, was it? So nice to meet you. I'm Rythin, and any friend of Erevan's that buys me beer is a friend of mine."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006



Nate

Well, well. Looks like Erevan has friends. Always good to have friends, Nate knows. Friends can help you with a pint, or a place to stay, or information, or help in case of zombie attack. Time to be friendly.

Nate, mug in hand, heads over to the new group. "So this where the cool kids hang out." Uh-oh, perhaps the slang doesn't carry over. Better salvage this quick- "Hopefully a night with friends, good chat, and beer will warm us up a bit." And he limps along to safety. "Since you know Erevan, you might as know me, I'm Nate."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


"Pleased to meet'cha, pleased to meet'cha," Elfa shakes hands around the table. "Good to see that Erevan's made some friends, always worried for 'em."

Kerzoro posted:

Ziria
"So, ah, I hope you don't think I was overhearing--not like I can help it with theseÖ" She flicks one of her ears with a wink. "--but I think you were talking about something troublesome?"

Elfa gestures you in close, bringing her voice to a whisper. "Look, I don't wanna alarm the, uh, y'know, fairer folk 'round here, but the situation may be a bit more, er, immediate than I let on. The kobold tribe in the mine is rather sizable. They're splintered for now, rootin' around the mine for food and whatnot. But eventually this cold is gonna abate, and eventually they're gonna run out of food. Because the gods are universally the biggest group o' cocks imaginable, I'm thinkin' those are both gonna happen around the same time. When that happens, this town is kobold chow." She shifts uncomfortably in her seat, as her compatriots sigh again at her giving away classified information. "Now like I said, we're outgunned and outmanned here. But if a group of, let's say, 'concerned citizens' who themselves happened t' be heavily armed could be persuaded to perform some civil service from the-" she coughs heavily, half-concealing her intentional jingling of a heavy concealed pouch of coins. "-goodness o' their heart... well, we'd certainly be very grateful, is all I'm sayin'."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.


Sidnae

Sidnae gives Elfa's hand a firm shake, muttering "Yeah, nice to meet'cha."

She gratefully chugs her ale as Elfa speaks. "So, kobolds, eh? Genevieve'll get a kick outta that. I hear kobold meat is very nutritious for a growing bear," she laughs.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dynamis

Dynamis joins the others, hearing the last bit. "Well we can hardly go anywhere with the weather like this. Clearing out some kobolds can keep us from going soft as we rest on our laurels."

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Drunken Folk Dancer


Giles

Giles joins the other group, wiping the last remains of stew from his mouth.

"Aye, this sounds like a good thing. The people've got enough concerns without having to worry about a pack of kobold filth on top of it. I say we do this."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010



Ziria

Ziria makes a face. "Ugh. Kobolds. Kobolds definitively make caves a less fun place to be in." ... there is probably a story behind that statement, but instead of launching into it, Ziria takes a sip of her drink as she tries to think if there's a link between the kobold swarm and a poisoned water supply... wouldn't they need water as well?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug asshole


Rythin

Rythin's tail twitched. "Oh, so it's kobolds?" If he were a dog, you would see his ears prick up. "Well, why didn't you say so? I'm always ready to exterminate some vermin. Consider me in." Rythin drained the last of his beer and smiled. It wasn't a nice smile.

Probably because of all of the pointed teeth.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2013 around 13:58

Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Erevan

Erevan shakes his head. "It's a generous offer, Elfa, but I've gotta turn it down." The elf reaches down and picks up his back. "You're a friend - this is on me."

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.


Shakti

Shakti recited the word to herself, tasting it. "Kobolds. Kobolds. Ko. Bold. Ss."

"Yes, I can fight kobolds, but in return, I will ask you a question. If you agree to answer, then I will help."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006



Nate

And there it is, Nate thought. No matter where I am, it all starts with one challenge. Clear out kobolds in a cave, or kill all the rats in a cellar, or deliver the mail to a town, or meet Mr. Johnson. And odds are, it'll all snowball down from there.

Nate notices Erevan turn down Elfa's payment. Doing a job not for pay - well I'll be damned. True friendship, that is - I'd wonder if it was something more, but maybe later.

"So about these kobolds," he asks Elfa. "How big d'you think the tribe is, by guess?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


Elfa watches Erevan leave, then shrugs. "He'll be back. He always is." She turns to Nate. "Big enough that I don't want to do it unarmed. I got a family back home, I ain't goin' back to 'em with a halfspear in my gut. Like I said, they're small and splintered right now. I dunno how much you know about kobold tribology, but they don't survive long in huge groups, they all in-fight and end up dead. They got more of a whatcha might call a feudal system. They split up into subclans when they're not in an out-and-out war. They're smarter than most folk'll give 'em credit for, but if they're not united in cause, they don't tend to group up more than... I dunno, 'bout 10 at a time, maybe?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


"Look, the hell with it, maybe I'm being too subtle: go kill some loving kobolds, I will give you money when you get back. I wouldn't be asking if I didn't think you could do it. Square?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dynamis

Dynamis looks to the others. Then speaks. "Well I am up for it. What about the rest of you?"

Maleketh
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Erevan

Erevan nods. "I think I've already made my decision pretty clear."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.


Sidnae

"I never objected to it."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


"Good, no time like the present then." Elfa points you in the right direction, and before you know it you've trudged through several hundred feet of dense, cold snow. I mean yeah, snow is normally cold, but this poo poo is really cold. Anyway, you're not entirely sure how, but now you're standing in front of a very decidedly empty mineshaft. The torches, unsurprisingly, are unlit.

The cavern is very dark.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug asshole


Rythin

"I'm mostly cold-blooded, drat it. Someone light those torches before I freeze to death."

The strange black tattoo on Rythin's scales twitches and starts to stir slightly, probably reacting to the change in mood.



I forgot to roll for my familiar's extra abilites, so here they are.

Poisonous (default) - once a battle, add 5 ongoing poison to an engaged enemy that I hit
Counter-Bite - 1d4 to the first enemy that hits me with a melee attack each battle
Alert - +2 to Wisdom skill checks

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010



Ziria

If Ziria is upset at the snow, its mostly because she cannot wear her favorite outfit while outside-- being tough as nails doesn't do crap against the cold. So warming up by punching Kobolds sounds like a fine idea!

She fishes out her flint and steel, and ignites one of the torches with a few strikes, grabbing it to light the second torch. "Well! I guess it would be rude to keep them waiting." She flashes the group a grin, and leads the way, torch in hand.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dynamis

Dynamis glances at Zira. "Ah yes a good idea." He lifts a hand and after a moment a perfect sphere of force glides out of his hand. The nearly transparent sphere quickly lights up with but a thought, providing a nice crisp light in a thirty foot diameter around Dynamis.

"That should help a bit as well."

Looks like the spell lasts 10-60 minutes, plus 10 minutes per level. The DM rolls it, so probably 1d6x10+10 minutes, and lets me know a few minutes before it is about to expire. It is good light to see by but not strong enough to dazzle anyone or send underworld dwellers into seizures.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006



Nate

Nate shivers in the cold. "Yes, fire good, more please."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug asshole


Rythin

"Oh, we're doing that light thing now? Ah, what the hell. I'll join in the fun." Rythin performs a small complicated-looking gesture with his left hand and varied lights start appearing at random intervals.

It's the dancing lights spell. Random light globes within 5 to 30 feet every few seconds that last for about five seconds before dying out. Should we just go with it dying out the same time as the other light spell, or at a dramatic moment?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Hmm looking at the Wizard Spell List, Utility Spell, Cantrips and Ritual sections not seeing anything like Endure Elements. Our spells don't really create heat. I guess if I had Fireball and a few hours I could maybe do a Ritual for Endure Elements.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


The mine shaft travels a long, long way down into the earth. The shaft splits at several points, each fork spiraling off as it follows a vein, but eventually leads in a dead-end. A lot of them have bits of detritus spread around them, old bones and scraps, signifying something was living there as recently as a few days ago, but no kobolds yet.

It's not easy to get lost, you just follow the mine tracks down the main shaft. After what feels like hours, you finally find something that isn't just the primary shaft. The track leads you into a larger cavern, though still not much taller than your head. The tracks curve to the right and continue downward, but to your left is a simple wooden door set into the stone. At the turn a mine cart has overturned, pinning something underneath it. Upon closer inspection, it's a human body. Been here a couple weeks, at least, judging by how, uh, corpse-y he is. You can't help but note that someone or something has cut off several long strips of flesh with a ragged knife. Or just had some very sharp teeth. At any rate, he has something clutched inside his fist, though you can't see what.

Your torch illuminates the whole cavern, but the trail further is still quite dark. However, you notice a thin shaft of light trickling out from beneath the door.



For now light is relatively easy to come by, and it's fairly easy to get warm in the confines of the mine, but if you need to see more than a few dozen feet from the flickering torch, that's where it'll get tricky.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2013 around 04:38

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006



Nate

Well it's warmer, that's nice. Hard to think when your teeth are chattering in your skull. Too bad the corpse makes me feel chilled.

Nate peers over the corpse. Since it's not a fresh kill, and not a bloody mushy mess, it's kinda easier to examine (something I've probably done before). "Wonder what he has in his hand?" he idly wonders as he tries to pry the hand open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lord of All Dances.


You reach down to pull the fingers away from their treasure before stopping yourself. You were right, you had done this before. And it ended poorly.

You draw your hand back and turn over the corpse's palm. Tucked into it is a Thunderstone attached to a bit of twine. Thunderstones are useful things, provided you're not on the receiving end of them. They're alchemical stones designed to ignite when struck, and when they go up, they go up violently. Bright flash of light, tons of sound, but no shrapnel or fire. It's painful if you're not expecting it, yet it's nonlethal to all but the frailest of bodies.

This one was left here as a trap. You manage to safely disarm the thing and pocket it.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«20 »