Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Erevan

Erevan frowns at the stranger. "Too bad for you - I got tired of trying to be what other people wanted me to be a long time ago. Especially some dark goddess's. And it sounds like my friends here aren't gonna be any more willing." He levels his blade at the man. "Better defend yourself. It's the least you can do before we gut you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

"That is your prerogative then." His muscles begin to twitch and bulge under the skin, tearing in places. The sharpened length of metal he holds in one hand seems to shrink under his increased bulk. "Come and test yourself, if you truly believe yourselves ready for what is to come!"

GeneralYeti posted:

Rythin
Using the Gather Power Sorcerer ability to generate the effects. When used in battle I get extra effects - +2 to a breath attack, double damage, and a random benefit to me. If it's a problem I can pretend what I just did was only the effects and ignore the bonuses from this one (I just thought it would be cool).

Nah that's fine.

Only one of him so for now let's just assume you all rolled better than he did, so everyone is up! No Roll20 table since it's just the one guy.

Weird Guy
AC 19
PD 17
MD 13
HP ???

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Erevan

"Okay." Erevan's determination hardly wavers despite the man's sudden change. No matter his size, he's just one man - no match for their combined strength. Still, better to not let him get at the less-armored members of his group. The soldier charges forward and takes a swing at the monster, but he slips on a stray piece of flesh and barely manages to regain his balance, let alone find his target.

Move: Move to engage the Weird Guy.
Standard: Melee Basic Attack v. Weird Guy. (Fumble.)

MBA v. Weird Guy: 1d20+5 6 1d8+4 7

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 5, 2013

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria grins ferally as she dashes to the enemy, alongside Erevan! ... And is thus by his side when he slips on the strip of flesh, and his loss of balance makes her misstep as she attempt to dodge him, barely avoiding crashing to the ground herself.

MBA v. Weird Guy: 1d20+5 6

Boy, what a lovely start to the battle! Can we use Flexible Attacks on fumbles? If so, then I'm going into Brace for It

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The man-creature exposes his teeth again, this time throwing his head back in horrible, stomach-turning laughter.

"Pathetic. A showing even worse than I expected."

Kerzoro posted:

Ziria
MBA v. Weird Guy: 1d20+5 6

Boy, what a lovely start to the battle! Can we use Flexible Attacks on fumbles? If so, then I'm going into Brace for It

The book says "A fumbled attack has no effect, not even miss damage." and "Instead of deciding which attack to use and then rolling, characters with flexible attacks roll first, then select an attack that the natural unmodified result of their attack roll can trigger.", so I guess if you have something that triggers on a nat 1, go for it.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Rythin

The aura of power and magic around Rythin is pulsating and fluctuating faster than before. "I will break you!" he snarls, and unleashes a blast of sleet and hail. Unfortunately, his anger is making the magic wild and uncontrollable and it blasts past the man-thing, missing him completely.

Standard: Breath of the White (1d20+7 = 8)

What happened to the dice? Anyway, that was a breath weapon so each turn I roll a d20. I can use Breath of the White again on a 16+. It's a daily, though, so I'm out of it after this battle.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Sidnae
HP: 24/24 AC: 17 PD: 12 MD: 10

"Come on, you lot, get your heads in the game! Who knows what's at stake here!" Sidnae leaps towards the mysterious man and smashes him with her mace.

MBA vs. badguy 1d20+5 = 21
Damage 1d10+4 = 11

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

Nate watches the others charge - and fumble in one case. Readying his harmonica, he starts playing - or would if his harness wasn't still borked. Sighing, he decided to use his musical magic (or was it magical music?) to put some hurtin' on the nasty man - and hopefully help out his friends. "Hang on Ziria!" he calls out. "Douchebag won't hit you, he's got everyone else hitting him! You hear that shitbird! You're going to die, and it's all your fault!"

Casting the Battle Chant! Rolling d20 + 5 Vs. MD 13 = 19
Damage Roll 1d6+4 = 9
Ziria gets the benefit of Stay Strong! and gets +2 AC until the start of my next turn.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Dynamis

Dynamis raises his hand, a few small spheres of nearly transparent force escape his hand and unerringly shoot toward the weird man.

Magic Missile at Weird Guy 2d4 7 Force damage.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Shakti

Shakti sprinted towards the Darkness. Her trident struck deep.

"I shatter your mirror."

Attack roll: 1d20 + 4 = 19
Damage roll: 1d10 + 4 = 12

There was a flash at its impact. Not fire itself but its meaning suddenly projected itself through the prongs. The heat licked and caressed the Shadow.

Burning Sigil: 1d20 + 3 = 8

gently caress, gently caress, loving hell. At least he takes 5 ongoing damage. :vd:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Just ComradeKoba left I believe?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Gonna go ahead and take Koba's turn since I'm gonna go to bed here in a sec.

Giles says nothing, but stops to invoke a short prayer before hurling a glowing shaft of light into the creature's torso. It seems displeased by this.

The creature howls, gripping its sword tightly. His jaw begins to shift and crack, his teeth coming together into a beak shape. Its cries are like nothing you've ever heard before, like a cross between an animal in pain and a man being tortured to death.

He leaps forward, slashing at Erevan with its blade. It catches him just above the shoulder, sending a thin spray of blood across the great sigil on the floor.

The runes begin to glow a fierce red and thrum softly, like a heartbeat you can feel outside your body. From down below, you start to hear a series of moans and growls, slowly making their way toward you. A quick glance reveals that seven of the corpses have begun to pull themselves free of the pile.

The shaman's horrific hand lashes out and grabs Erevan by the arm. "Now you shall know. I will give you a taste of what is to come."

I'm gonna go ahead and assume Giles throws out an Invocation of Strength which means that everyone who crits gets triple damage instead of double! :toot: since that was a quick action we'll go ahead and Javelin of Faith the dude as well. 19 vs. PD! That hits for 6 damage!

Bad Guy attacks Erevan! 27 vs. AC! Erevan takes 15 damage and is Hampered (can only make basic attacks) while engaged with the Bad Guy!

Seven ghastly ghouls have appeared!

Weird Guy
AC 19
PD 17
MD 13
HP ??? - 43

Zombies
AC 17
PD 15
MD 11
HP 63/9

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 6, 2013

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Escalation die is now 1!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Doomsayer posted:

Gonna go ahead and take Koba's turn since I'm gonna go to bed here in a sec.

Yeah, sorry. My internet access is going to be very limited during the rest of the week, so feel free to take my turns for me so the fight doesn't get slowed down. Just assume Giles will mostly act as support, aiding the front line fighters with protections and stuff, only closing to melee if there's no other option.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria picks herself up quickly. "Sheesh, so much for a grand entrance-- Hey! Let go of him, you big rear end in a top hat!" Ziria steps right up and connects with her fist... but his anatomy is not quite what she expects, and her first meets tough muscle when she expects a soft spot. She hits hard enough that it cannot quite be shrugged off, but its still not a whole lot. She winces a bit and takes a step back, looking at her hand.. and then smashing her first against an open palm, glaring at the big guy. "... right."

Basic Attack: 1d20+5 13
On Miss: deal 1 damage

Yaaay Dice Hate. Going to use Grim Intent since my missing roll was a natural even number. My next miss will add Weapon damage... also, I forgot to add the escalation die, but that would only make the roll a 14, so.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Breath of the White recharge: failure

Rythin quickly got himself under control - the chaotic nature of his magic made losing control extremely dangerous. Next time, the magic might go out of control even more...

The aura of magic quickly returned around Rythin. He laughs, "Try your best!"

Using standard action to Gather Power again.

Gather Power bonus: 1 damage to nearby staggered enemies (nothing useful, unless the guy is staggered)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Erevan

Quick question before I post my turn. Does the hamepered condition last until I'm no longer engaged with the WG? Does it last for the rest of the battle, but only trigger while I'm adjacent to him, or is it a (save ends) thing? Also, is it safe to assume that being hampered prevents me from smiting?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah Hampered means you can only make basic melee attacks, no other kinds of attacks.

The monster text isn't super descriptive but yeah it looks like you're only hampered until you Disengage, I believe it's supposed to be the monster kind of ripping and tearing at you.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Erevan

"Rgh!" Erevan grunts in pain as the madman's blade cuts into him. "'A taste of what's to come?' How 'bout I give you a taste of my blade instead?!" The elf brings his sword down on the arm that's grabbing him, jolting it enough to free himself. Seeing the corpses beginning to rise, and that his allies are tying up the zealot well enough, he turns to face the zombies and keep them away from the rest of the group.

Standard: MBA v. Weird Guy (Hits for 7 damage.)
Move: Attempt to disengage. (Succeeds.)

HP: 15/30
Recoveries: 8/8
Smites Remaining: 3 + Battle

MBA v. Weird Guy: 1d20+6 23 1d8+4 7
Disengage: 1d20+1 19

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Shakti

Shakti leaps down onto the corpse pile. She cuts through dead flesh like air.

Disengage roll: 1d20 = 13
Attack roll: 1d20 + 5 = 21
Damage roll: 1d10 + 4 = 11

I'll also activate Warding Sigil on Shakti, so she has +2 AC.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

"Oh great, zombies." Nate sneers. "What a shock." Tooting his horn (metaphorically, he's blowing a harmonica in reality) he continues to use his magics to hinder the zombie horde (are nine zombies considered a horde?) - or he would have, if his harmonica didn't suddenly gain a clog of spit and blood from the crawl!

Using another Battle Chant: 1d20 +6 VS 11 MD = 7

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Dynamis

Dynamis contemplates producing more small spheres of force to fling at the weird person but holds off. He sees the lack of success the group has largely been having and realizes it may be best to help one of them survive longer.

Instead he closes his eyes, waving his hand through the air as if pulling aside a veil, and then Ziria begins to blur around the edges. The blur intensifies until it becomes a little difficult to tell just where she is standing. Dynamis once more opens his eyes.

Using one of my two prepared Blur daily spells. For the rest of the battle attacks against Ziria have a 20% miss chance.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Giles still remains silent, throwing bolts of holy energy at the zombies which they do NOT seem to be pleased with. Several explode into very painful-looking gouts of fire and gore. Only four are left standing.

The great mancreaturething is left only further enraged, his skin beginning to slough off in great chunks, leaving something like blood-matted fur and muscle behind. One great clawed hand shoves Ziria to the side, and he charges at what is clearly the greater threat gathering its arcane power, drawn like a moth to a flame. His "sword" clatters to the ground, and he leaps with one arm extended. He lands heavily, his talons drawing across Rythin's face in a wicked arc. There's a sound like someone pulling a steak in half. Violently.

There's a lot of blood where Rythin's eye should be, dripping with worrying speed down his face and pooling on the ground below him. The dark figure roars with a voice like no animal or man you've ever heard. "DO YOU SEE NOW? THERE IS NO HOPE FOR YOU. I AM BUT THE VANGUARD, A PAWN, A MERE WALL YOU THROW YOURSELF AGAINST. AND YET YOU ARE STILL AS NOTHING TO ME!"

A lot of blood flows out of one of his closed fists, claws wrapped tightly.

poo poo, sorry, didn't realize it was my turn.

Giles lobs a holy bolt at the zombies: it's a crit! 18 damage!

Bad Dude breaks off and attacks Rythin! Bad dude rolls a... :ohdear: 29 vs. AC. That's a critical hit for 30 damage. Aaaand he gets his eye ripped out. Whoops.

However, since he attacked Rythin instead, Ziria gets an AOO! She hits for 8 damage!

Weird Guy
AC 19
PD 17
MD 13
HP ??? - 59 BLOODY

7 4 Zombies
AC 17
PD 15
MD 11
HP 63/9 - 29

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Hashtag Yoloswag is up! Then zombies.

(cuz I forgot :saddowns:)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

EDIT: Apparently not!

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 8, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

You can take that back, really. I've discussed things with Doomsayer and there's a plan. Possibly involving relationship dice.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Unfortunately, Rythin is too far away for bastion to work anyway. You can only look on in horror :ohdear:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Sidnae

"Dammit...we're being slaughtered..." Sidnae rolls away from the horrible thing, then puts a foot over the glowing sigil on the floor.

"You may think we're powerless against you, but you forget that walls can be broken!" She drags her foot through it, breaking one of the outer lines.

Disengage: 1d20 = 13

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I feel bad for not putting up a roll20 table, because I feel like I did a terrible job explaining the scale of the room. The spire is a good thirty feet tall, and the zombies are dozens of yards away. They were going to take a turn to climb, but you guys said you were jumping down so I thought we were all on the same page I'm so sorry :ohdear:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The good news is, even despite the sigil being carved into the floor, pouring your will to destroy it into your foot destroyed the casting circle, causing all the reanimated corpses to drop to the floor.

The bad news is, the destruction of the rune caused all that pent up energy to be released.

Painfully.

Sigil explodes! +10 vs. PD for a roll of... 30. I seem to be on a roll :ohdear: For 18 damage against Sidnae!

Escalation die is now 2!

Everyone still alive is up!

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 8, 2013

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria seems quite surprised when the monster ignores her and shrugs off her attack as it goes for Rythin. When she sees the blood pooling, she grits her teeth and then GRABS him from behind with a surprisingly tenacious grip.

"You will... get AWAY... from THEM!"

... and then she LIFTS the creature into the air and WHIPS him back down into the ground, stepping between her bloodied friend and the monster.

Attack Roll: 1d20+7 26
Damage roll: 1d8+5 7

Rolled a 19, an odd number, so I'm activating Carve An Opening. Ziria crits at a 19+ until she scores a crit

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 8, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin's eyes... or rather, eye, opens. He seems almost grateful to be alive. For about half a second, until the pain kicks in. "Ow, god drat that hurts." He slowly stands up, the magical power flaring up around him again. "Thanks, Z. I got this from here." He winces in pain and stares at the monster. The intimidating effect of the pair of slit eyes staring at you is kinda diminished when one is a bloody mess.

"You've got something of mine. That's fine, you can have it. But I do want something in return." Rythin's eyes gleam with a feral glint. "I want you dead." He slams the butt of his spear on the ground, and a blast of chill strikes out at the thing in front of him. After the attack, Rythin drops to his knees, nearly spent. "That hurts. That hurts quite a bit." Rythin looks around. "A little help here?"

HP: 1/27
Recoveries: 8/8

Standard Action - Breath of the White attack: 1d20 + 9 = 11
Breath of the White damage: 3d6 + 4 = 12 cold damage
Because I gathered power, the damage isn't halved on the miss (it's really halved, then doubled). Why do the dice hate me so much?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

EDIT: Accidentally edited this. Go me! :v:

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 12, 2013

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

First Rythin got an eye ripped out, then Sidnae got blowed up. Things were looking bad, and Nate had to think fast. Again, he figured on the cause of their woes, the Eyeripper. Time to plink away at the bastard with music. Sadly, he was still too shaken up upon seeing grevious harm to his allies to perform anything more than just hurting the bastard. Then again, hurting him might be all that is needed...

Another Battle Chant at Eyeripper: 1d20+7 Vs MD 13 = 16
Damage: 7

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Maleketh posted:

Also, rereading Bastion, it says it can be used to protect a "nearby ally" - which is anything within movement range. I'm not belaboring not being able to use it against the last attack, but this is important for the future. I don't have to be right next to anyone involved in the attack, just within a stone's throw.

Oh poo poo, just realized I had this saved in drafts, never actually posted it.

Yeah I hosed up, I thought "nearby" was defined as "anywhere you don't have to use a move action to get to".

I was wrong.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Dynamis

The Weird Man seems to be on his last legs, despite all his arrogant talk. Dynamis produces a few more small spheres of force then he sends them flying into the Weird Man's eye, corresponding with the one he ripped from Rythin.

Magic Missile vs Weird Guy Eyeripper 2d4 5 Force damage

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 9, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Sidnae

The surge of energy knocked Sidnae flat on her rear end, leaving her in a daze. "Wha...what did I do? What's going on..."

She takes a moment to clear her mind, then jumps back up. "Right. Evil guy. Let's finish this then!"

HP: 6/24
MBA 1d20+5 = 19 because I forgot to add the esc die on orokos :shobon:
Damage 1d10+4 = 9

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Apologies for slowness, busy weekend.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

After the withering onslaught, the creature falls backwards to its knees, one fist still clenched tightly, blood dripping from between its claws.

He lets out another low rumbling laugh, casually discarding the miscellaneous fluids caught up between his fangers into the roaring water below.

He looks up, red teeth glinting in the low light of the runes surrounding him. He spreads his arms wide, as if a great burden has been lifted from his shoulders.

"IT IS TOO LATE! IT IS... It is too late. The Darkness has come to this little village. Perhaps you will survive it. Perhaps. But the rest of the people here... they will not be so lucky. They will be consumed. Completely, and utterly."

Another growling laugh, echoing back and forth off the chamber walls.

"I do believe that where ever you walk, the Dark will follow. It has a... fondness, for your kind. You will run, but it will find you. You will gather allies, but they will fall. You will be their Heroes, and you will be their deaths. This destiny you cannot escape. Sooner or later you will falter, and that is when you will fail everyone and everything you love."

His arms drop. "As for me?

...I WELCOME THE DARK.
"

Weird Guy
AC 19
PD 17
MD 13
HP ??? - 108 BLOODY

Technically he has 2HP left but gently caress it someone FINISH HIMimim!

Feel like maybe Rythin should get the honors considering he's now eyeless :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin somehow pulls himself to his feet and staggers over to the creature. "I told I wanted you dead, you son of a bitch." He carefully lines up his spear and drives it through the remnants of the creature's eye, piercing the brain. "An eye for an eye. And now all you can see is the dark."

Rythin turns and walks over to Ziria, the nearest of the group. "When I fall over in about three seconds, can you make sure I don't hurt myself?" He then proceeds to collapse, probably from blood loss.

• Locked thread