Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

"The island we're from is called Skull." One of the pirates chirps up. "It's run by Skull and the Boys. I don't, uh, know if that changes your mind any. It's shaped like a skull."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

"Skull Island, huh?" Nate replies, part of him idly thinking if he should be asking if there are any giant apes in the area.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Jin

"Skull Island? Sounds like a place with money! Count me in," she says quickly, pocketing Nate's dagger.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

After about a day's sail, you manage to finagle your way over to Skull Island.

Skull island it, uh... it lives up to it's name.

It's an island shaped like a big-rear end skull.

"What would'ya like us to do now cap'n? Uh... cap'n's?" The pirate you spoke to before asks.

Shipley. His name is Shipley. Not that you asked.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Jin

"Well, Glen William Shipley, we'd probably like a guide for this island. Of course you'll likely be released safely once you're done." Released from this mortal coil at least. "I'm sure we won't hurt you..." Unless you resist us in any way. "I mean we're not barbarians."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Avram

"DRY LAND!" Avram practically shouts with excitement. It hadn't been a good week, forced to get out of town just one step of secret police and the only ticket out being a bunch of ...morally questionable pirates who insisted on sailing their barely seaworthy hunk of wood through some of the worst storms in creation. Adopting a serious mien (as much to conceal his delight at approaching land as to hide his desire to sacrifice his lunch to the gods of the sea.) Avram turned to the pirate next to him and asked "So, who rules this isle?, where does he live and what does the government look like?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Well, our ki-" Shipley stops himself, then swallows heavily. "Um, our ex-King, o'course. He's named Skull, and we're his boys. Um, I dunno if he's named after the island, or vice-versa. Maybe it's just happy coincidence. His cove's up in the left eye. Kinda behind where an actual eye'd be, I guess. If you sail around the port side a bit, we can dock in Blackport."

Sure enough, Shipley leads you around the left-hand side of the island, ducking the ship into a tunnel carved into the island. It's well-disguised enough by greenery that you probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out to you.

"Welcome t'Blackport, me friends."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

"Nice place," Nate nods. "Got that claustrophobic subterranean feel, but with also a ocean view. I like it, Shipley.

Oh yeah, by the way, before I forget - giant apes or other large monsters. Are they on this island or not?"

Nate knew to ask the important questions.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Oh yeah, o'course. We got lots of those, uh, whaddya call 'em. Big lizards? Lotsa teeth?"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

"In my neck of the woods, we call 'em 'Ohshitrunaway'."

Knew it, Nate thought. Just had to confirm it. Odds are we're going to be made monkeys out of before or during we meet Skull.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Colin Strange

"Dinosaurs! Capital! I've always wanted to study the great beasts up close. But firstly: direct us to this Skull individual. Or more specifically, his armory and vault."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Skull's got 'is own pers'nal fortress. It's, uh, in the eye of that bigass skull, like I said. Now actually getting in there, or hacking your way across the island? For that you'll have to find someone in Blackport t'help you. Skull isn't big on showing people t'his sanctum."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Rythin

Rythin studies his left hand as flame briefly dances over it. "I'm sure we could convince someone, but that might be somewhat dangerous for everyone involved. Then again, going through the island ourself... Hm." The thought of, y'know, not going to kill Skull never crosses his mind.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Dynamis
HP: 36/36. AC 14. PD 14. MD 16. Recoveries 8/8

Dynamis frowns some more at all this talk of Skulls. Really Skull Island, run by someone named Skull, with a Skull shaped fortress. Clearly someone has no imagination and thinks a ton of skulls is going to scare anyone. Oh well if they are really going to take this detour they may as well make the most of it.

"Well Shipley, I believe we have someone to help us get in. Do we not?" He says as he stares at Shipley, clearly implying that Shipley will have to get them in.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Nope. Never met Skull, not gunna. I give 'im the King's Cut of our haul, he doesn't come down and show me why they call 'im Skull."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

"So how is this King's Cut usually delivered?" Avram inquires seemingly casually. "Also what do you get in return for this Kings cut? Are we talking a graduated income tax that funds essential services like harbour maintenance keeping the streets clean and a comprehensive healthcare system that provides peg legs,hooks and speaking parrots for the mute." he goes on "Or is it more the usual despotic extraction of treasure that is piled up in a vault somewhere like some second-rate dragon's horde?"

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Jin

"He's a pirate king named Skull. 'M sure he's a k... gently caress. My sarcasm's really suffered since that curse. Anyway, this keeps sounding like it'll end in more and more gold in my pockets. So let's figure out our way in."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sorry for the delay, first week of school, poo poo's cray yo.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

"So how is this King's Cut usually delivered?" Avram inquires seemingly casually. "Also what do you get in return for this Kings cut? Are we talking a graduated income tax that funds essential services like harbour maintenance keeping the streets clean and a comprehensive healthcare system that provides peg legs,hooks and speaking parrots for the mute." he goes on "Or is it more the usual despotic extraction of treasure that is piled up in a vault somewhere like some second-rate dragon's horde?"

"More of the latter, cap'n. I mean, I never seen it m'self of course, but aye he has a vault somewhere in 'is mountain. As for how to get in: ye could try the, uh..." He contemplates for a moment. "Well, I was gonna suggest the pub, but it's a pirate town so we got like thirty of 'em. Pick one."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Unsure of what else to do (Shipley is remarkably unhelpful in how to move forward), you strike off into Blackport and pick a bar at random. The Cock and Crook. Or maybe the Bum and Barrel. Sheep and Goat. Some nonsense like that, they're all the goddamn same.

Pushing the door open you're greeted with a remarkable lack of amicability. In fact, no one turns around or acknowledges you in any way. Not even the good decency to throw a bottle at you. It seems almost intentional.

You can't help but be a little offended. You expected more, y'know, pirate-y offenses.

"I wouldn't take it personally mate."

A woman waves at you from an empty table near the wall.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. You just looked a little lost. Buy a girl a drink?"

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Honestly, being one so used to the loud nature of bars, Ziria is a bit off-put by the remarkably dull greeting they had received.

I mean, come on, even in bad bars, somebody will at LEAST try to shank you.

So it's a good thing the new lady strikes up a conversation before Ziria finds herself forced to, like, start a bar fight or something.

She gives her a big grin. "Well, anything for a friendly face. What's your poison?"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

Nate settles in a seat at the Rum & Whiskey, and scopes the scene. Other than the pale axe-carrying woman, everyone else is ignoring them. Either something fishy is up, or they really just don't care. Nate cocks his listenin' eary towards Ziria and the newcomer, and gives a listen as he plunks down a little coin for a drink when the bartender gets there.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Colin Strange

Sniffing imperiously, Strange moves to join Nate. "Seems as if a concerted effort is being to ignore this motley crew of ours. Surely a disheveled group of newcomers should attract some attention. Most peculiar." He casts his gaze across the room, hoping to determine what else is amiss.

They Called Me Mad! (WIS): 1d20+8 24

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin sits down next to Nate and Strange. "Eh, whatever. I don't feel like losing more body parts, so as long as I can get a drink I don't really care what happens." Of course, if they were attacked for some reason, this place was going up in flames. He digs out a coin and puts it on the bar, hoping the owner of the bar had paid his insurance lately.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Avram

"So what's a pretty girl like you doing in a dump like this?" Avram smiles and leans forward towards the one person in the bar who has bothered to show any interest towards the group. He turns and drops a few coins on the bar. "A drink my good man when you have a moment."

Turning on the Charm (CHA): 1d20+5 16

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

So sorry guys! This week has been brutal. Post *hopefully* coming tonight, but if not then tomorrow! Pinky promise!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I lied :unsmigghh:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Kerzoro posted:

Ziria
She gives her a big grin. "Well, anything for a friendly face. What's your poison?"

"Aye, 'at's the spirit luv." She says with a wink. "Keep! How about a Skull Punch over here, yeah?"

You're guessing it's a house specialty, considering the name of the place. The bartender pulls out a bottle of rum, a bottle of whiskey, and a bottle marked "Apple Juice", complete with conspicuous quotation marks. He pours them in equal measure into a pewter mug that steams a little when he's done. He drops it in front of the woman, then turns an open hand over to Ziria, apparently waiting for payment.

You're pretty sure these guys know you're not an officially licensed pirate crew here in pirate town. Maybe word just spreads really, really fast. It would explain the cold shoulder, clearly no one wants to associate with one of those shady illegal pirate groups.

Ferrosol posted:

Avram

"So what's a pretty girl like you doing in a dump like this?" Avram smiles and leans forward towards the one person in the bar who has bothered to show any interest towards the group. He turns and drops a few coins on the bar. "A drink my good man when you have a moment."

Turning on the Charm (CHA): 1d20+5 16

The barkeep pours another Skull Punch and sets it in front of you, though he keeps a sturdy eye on Ziria, clearly not forgetting her tab.

"Me?" The woman asks, draining an alarming amount of her mug in one swig. "Same as everyone else around here, I suppose. Thieving, murdering, philandering, general chicanery, you know how it is. Me and Constantia here-" She pats the double-headed axe leaning on the table next to her. "We've gotten pretty alright at it."

GeneralYeti posted:

Rythin

Rythin sits down next to Nate and Strange. "Eh, whatever. I don't feel like losing more body parts, so as long as I can get a drink I don't really care what happens." Of course, if they were attacked for some reason, this place was going up in flames. He digs out a coin and puts it on the bar, hoping the owner of the bar had paid his insurance lately.

Another Skull Punch is served, the stare is still leveled.

"Don't worry." The woman says, gesturing vaguely at the menagerie of scars on her limbs. "You've got a lot more limbs left to lose. It's not so bad."

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 13, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Jin

Jin plops down next to the woman, purposefully not ordering a drink. She turns on all of her conwoman's charm. Currently she's put her body language into a stupid and honest look. "Nice to meet you. You can call me Jin. What's yours?"

Just to be clear, I'm not asking her true name. Just something to call her by.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Eurydike, and you've already met my friend Constantina." She extends a hand to Jin. "My friends call me Eury."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Dynamis
HP: 36/36. AC 14. PD 14. MD 16. Recoveries 8/8

Dynamis lets the others do the talking, he isn't really all that used to talking to pirates. Instead he keeps a look out for any sign of a possible fight starting over the group trespassing.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Jin

Jin returns the handshake, giving a very honest shake. A handshake so honest, it could only come from a practiced liar. Jin then lowers her voice a bit just to be safe. "So, you seem like a girl who knows what's going on. What's the general consensus on Skull? The man, not the island."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria just grins as she drops some coins on the staring bartender's hand and motions him to get her one of those same drinks. "Sheesh, you don't waste any time, do you?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Skull? That prick is dead, if you don't mind me sayin'." She juts a thumb at herself. "And believe me, I know dead. These idiots keep leaving portions of their booty to his lackeys, then it disappears up that big rock and no one ever sees hide nor hair of 'im. He's been 'king'-" She doesn't say the word so much as spit it. "- for drat near eighty years. No pirate lives to be a hundred, it just isn't done. So, if you ask me? I think he's made up. A ghost story. AND THESE IDIOTS ARE JUST TOO DUMB TO SEE IT!" She shouts to the room in general to a deafening response of nothing.

"See? Like rocks they are. Anyway, why do you ask?" Her eyes light up. "You thinking of robbing 'im?"

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"Robbing is such an ugly word," Rythin replies promptly. "Let's go with 'reallocating wealth from him to us without his express permission'. Sounds fancier." He drinks some of the Skull Punch. Something about the room still seemed off... Any amount of pirates that just heard their boss or 'king' or whatever being called dead would probably get angry.

Conman background to take the pulse of the room: 1d20+4 = 17

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

You can only assume that they're getting ready to jump you in an alley somewhere after you leave.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Avram

"If the king is really dead then that's great news." nods Avram happily "means we can start getting this place in some sort of proper organisation I dunno a council of captains might work but could that reinforce the status quo, how about a Syndicalistic democracy with bottom up representation hmm no, too unstable..." Ignoring the stares of the crew around him Avram mutters for a few moments more before coming back to reality with a start. "where were we? Oh right Skull-King could either be a long con like that weekend I spent in Berniecia propping up a corpse as ruler or worse it could some wizard using some sort of life-extending magic. When was the last time anyone saw the king alive?"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Colin Strange

Moving to join Eurydike and the others, Strange places his hands on the table and leans in, whispering. "These ruffians are looking for an excuse to relieve us of our belongings. At any moment, they could attempt larceny or violence. If we're to attempt an assault on Skull himself, we'll doubtless encounter opposition before we even reach his sanctum. I propose we make a prior show of force to weed out the riff-raff."

Strange adjusts his spectacles and scans the room for potential combatants.

Who here has combat stats? Any of them got particularly lovely hp?

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

"You DO realize this is a bar, right?" Ziria whispers back as she takes a gulp of her drink. "'s not like a fight is HARD to spark."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

It would definitely not be hard at all to start a brawl should one be so inclined.

• Locked thread