Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Giles

Giles peers over Nate's shoulder as he removes the thunderstone, raising his eyebrows in surprise when he realizes the purpose of it.

"Huh. Looks like someone doesn't want us poking around this damp shithole. Better stay alert."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria's eye twitches just slightly as Nate disarms the trap. muttering "Stupid Kobolds and their stupid traps..." She then focuses on the door, approaching it carefully and as quietly as she can manage, stopping just besides the door, and trying to have a listen while the rest of the group approaches.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Rythin

Rythin looks at the Thunderstone before Nate pockets it. "I think I've used something like that in one of my shows before. Useful when you need to distract people." He joins the rest of the group at the door. "So at what point do we give up eavesdropping and smash this thing down?"

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Erevan

Erevan is hardly what one pictures when one thinks of a paladin. By the time the group reaches the mine, he's clad in his battle gear: a chain cuirass and leggings, a slightly dented iron skullcap, a heavily-scratched wooden shield, and a very plain-looking longsword. With his hands full, he's more than happy to let the others provide the light.

When the group comes upon the chest, he does much the same as Ziria, taking up position next to the door. He doesn't bother listening, preferring to make himself ready for a surprise attack. Kobolds have that habit, after all. While Nate deals with the chest, Erevan scans the chamber, fully prepared to act if any kobolds should appear from behind them or through a secret passage.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

With your ear pressed to the door, you can just make out the sounds of chewing and tearing, alongside some chattering in a language you don't recognize. You can hear furniture being shifted around as well. If not for the strange language, you'd think someone was sitting down to dinner in a mess hall.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria opens her mouth, closes it as she considers Rythin's words, looks at the group at large, and then shrugs.

She takes a step back, and then... knocks on the door with her knuckles twice before she spins and KICKS the door in with all her strength!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The door smashes off its hinges and rockets inward, landing on top of an unsuspecting kobold. Much to your surprise, a thin rope was holding up a bottle of something on the other side of the door, causing it to shatter against the now-freed door. And then burst into flames. The little guy seems very unhappy to be trapped underneath a large flaming slab of wood.

The room is relatively small for what it appears to be, and that's a mess hall for the miners. Several long tables dominate the room, around which are seated 14 very surprised kobolds. Most of them, perhaps 10, are lightly armored, only wielding small knives and rudimentary shortbows tied on with bits of animal leather and ligament. Three of them seem to have worked their way up the ladder enough to have something actually approaching weapons and armor, by which you mean some half-spears and a pair of pants. The last two seem to be, if Elfa's description of kobold sociopolitical makeups was correct, sub-clan warlords. They have actual bits of metal dangling from their hides, and some stolen rusty shortswords.

They look unhappy to see you, and are currently trying to scrabble up from their benches.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

Nate was still puzzling over the Thunderstone (Wonder what else is trapped up ahead?) when Ziria knocked on (and down) the door. "Found one pack," he idly says to himself. "And however many to go," he waits for the more martial of the group to head inside, no use blundering into things before you can think up a quick battleplan (even if the plan is simply "Kill Them First").

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"Well. That worked slightly better than expected."
Rythin leans into the opening and looks at the kobolds, then back to the rest of the party. "I don't suppose it would help to say sorry, would it?"

vvv "I guess not."

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 = 13

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 21, 2013

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

"Whoops! Sorry about that! Let me get that off you!"

Getting that off him apparently involved Ziria dashing forward and kicking the broken, burning door, kobold and all, to rain burning wood and sawdust (and kobold) on the congregation... and clearing the way for the others in her group!

Initiative: 1d20+2: 9

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 21, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Sidnae

"Haha! That's certainly one way to help." She draws her mace. "Ready for some action, Genny?"

"It's been too long, dear friend!" The bear roars and charges in.

Initiative 1d20+2 = 21

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The kobolds are still getting their bearings, and the hail of embers isn't helping their situation any.

Go ahead and roll initiative, but everyone gets a surprise turn to act before the kobolds do!

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

Nate sneaks in. "Well, any attempt at a grand entrance is going to flop after your's," he smiles at Ziria while keeping his eyes on the kobolds, "so let's just get this done and dealt with, shall we?"

Used my Racial Ability of Quick to Fight to roll twice and see what's better: And 14 is what I'm going with.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Sidnae

Sidnae calmly walks up to one of the warlords. "Now, see, if you'd had some kind of well-balanced government, maybe you would have been prepared for an invasion, but alas, you weren't. Perhaps we could help you write some new legislature" - she grabs the befuddled warlord, then throws him backwards onto the ground with a powerful suplex - "in your blood."

"Indeed, with an elected senate, you may have been able to respond to the situation more quickly, my little treats," Genevieve adds on as she rakes one of the grunts' faces off.

Diplomasuplex 1d20+7 = 15
Genevieve MBA 1d20+5 = 16; damage 1d8 = 7

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The small kobold's skull explodes like an overripe grapefruit.

They seem quite open to negotiation.

There are eight mooks, three fighters, and two warlords left.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Dynamis

Dynamis click his heel as if coming to attention. He lifts both hands, pointed toward the strongest surviving kobolds, the warlords if both survived the others' attentions, and out of each palm another semi transparent sphere of force emerges before streaking toward the two kobold.

Each sphere of force ignores any barriers, shuffling fighters, or attempts to evade, before striking true.

"That should help a bit as well."

Initiative (Quick to Act) 2d20k1+2 22

Magic Missile split between two strongest looking kobold 1d4; 1d4 2 and 4 Force damage respectively.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin eyes the blood splatter on the ground. "That was rather mild, Sidnae. Are you feeling alright?" His job of snarking done, he steps forward, holding his staff. After a complicated gesture, a loud crack emanates from the staff and a ripple of air streaks toward one of the kobold fighters.

Chaos Bolt gets a random damage.
Damage type: Thunder
Attack toward kobold fighter: 1d20 + 5 = 9 vs PD
Damage: 1d8 + 4 = 5

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Shakti

Shakti marched forward, brandishing her trident. She moved calm and methodical, like an eerie automaton with her faceplate.

Initiative = 19
Attacking kobold mook = 11
Trident damage on hit = 7

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The room fills with the roaring sound of thunder and the crackle of electricity, shaking the kobolds off their benches and sending them scurrying across the room. When the dust clears the two clanlords are wiping the soot off their hides, but everyone else seems relatively unharmed.

Book says to make monster stats transparent, so here's their to-hit values and HP so you can narrate your own hits/misses:

Clanlords: AC 18, PD 16, MD 12, HP 32, 30
Warriors: AC 18, PD 15, MD 12, HP 22 each left
Mooks: AC 16, PD 14, MD 10, HP 6 (Group: 47 HP left)

Eventually I'll have an initiative table that has everyone defenses on it for our reference, but I'm working on a presentation and can't do it right now.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Erevan

Erevan sighs as Ziria kicks in the door. One of these days, he thinks to himself, a door is going to kick back. Still, for now it seems her impulsiveness has given the party an early advantage, and Erevan doesn't mean to waste it. Identifying the big kobolds in the back as the biggest threats, the paladin simply bypasses their wall of minions by briefly vanishing, then reappearing next to one of them. He raises his sword for a strike, and his arm moves with a sudden burst of inhuman speed - but the creature reacts just as quickly and parries his blow.

Initiative: 19
Move: Use Highblood Teleport to get next to a clanlord (or both, if possible).
Standard: Attack the clanlord with Smite Evil. (Misses. :()

Initiative: 1d20+1 19
Smite vs. Clanlord: 1d20+5 9 1d8+1d12+4 16

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 21, 2013

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

With the poo poo already going down, Nate knew sometimes it was time to charge into the fray, and sometimes you had to hang back. This was a hang back time, but he wasn't going to be a worthless drain on society, oh no! Already his caddy-wires were extended from his armor, sword in hand, harmonica set up. After a quick warm-up tweet, it was time to show these kobolds the world's oldest question - are you crazy enough to mess with a man playing a harmonica? Even if, as Nate Demonstated, he could use sonic waves and strange magic to put the whammy on a clanlord and aid Erevan?

Using the spell Battle Chant on a Clanlord Engaged with Erevan:

Attack Roll (1d20+5 Vs MD of 12): 12 on the nuts
Damage Roll (1d6+4): 6

Erevan gets the nifty Battle Cry effect of NOTHING, sorry my roll didn't qualify for anything!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I believe Comrade Koba still needs to go, if my math is correct.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Alright, I lied, I'm skipping Comrade Koba for now, he can take an extra turn later if he'd like. I'm available now instead of grading papers so gently caress it.

Shockingly, the ill-armed kobolds are the first to their feet and have scattered across the room, lashing at everything nearby, since you're standing between them and the door. Three of them break toward Erevan, blades flashing through the air. Two are driven off, but one manages to find a weak spot in Erevan's armor and make a scratch. A small one, but a scratch nonetheless.

Another three focus on Shakti, trying their damndest to avoid her trident as only one manages to find the slightest gap in her defense.

The last two show a surprising amount of loyalty to the clanlord and draw their bows, firing on Dynamis in retaliation. Both manage to find their marks and score glancing blows, Dynamis is forced to withdraw behind an overturned crate, lest the annoyances turn into... uh, slighly more annoying annoyances.

3x Mook attacks vs. Erevan: 22, 9, 14 for 3 damage!
3x Mook attacks vs. Shakti: 17, 10, 7 for 3 damage!
2x Mook R. attacks vs. Dynamis: 24, 13 for 6 damage!

pre:
Init:
23 Mooks:          AC 16, PD 14, MD 10, HP 6 (Group: 47 HP left)
18 Dynamis:        AC 13, PD 13, MD 15, HP 27 - 14 = 13
15 Shakti:         AC 16, PD 13, MD 14, HP 24
15 Warriors 1/2/3: AC 18, PD 15, MD 12, HP 22/22/22
12 Giles:          AC 14, PD 14, MD 13, HP 27
12 Erevan:         AC 19, PD 12, MD 13, HP 30
10 Rythin:         AC 12, PD 13, MD 11, HP 27
9  Sidnae:         AC 17, PD 12, MD 10, HP 24
5  Nate:           AC 14, PD 12, MD 13, HP 24
5  Clanlords 1/2:  AC 18, PD 16, MD 12, HP 32/24
2  Ziria:          AC 17, PD 14, MD 11, HP 30
I was most of the way through making this table before I remembered you had already rolled your initiative, but normally I'll be the one rolling everyone's at the beginning of battle anyway so :dealwithit:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

(OOC: Sorry, work schedule and time zone issues made me miss the start of combat. Making my turn now, you can decide whether it happens right now or when it's my turn to act on this second round.)

Giles

Giles rushes through the door, the last one to enter the fray. As he spots the kobold archers readying their bows, he curses under his breath and lashes out with his right arm, a silvery bolt of energy darting through the air towards the kobolds.

The bolt hits the creature square in the chest with a sizzling thud, shattering most of its ribs in the process.

Javelin of Faith vs. one of the archer kobolds. 1d20+WIS+Level vs. PD = 23! Natural 20, baby! :dance:

Damage = 8, x2 for crit for a grand total of 16!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I took 6 damage right? why did I lose 14 hit points then?

Dynamis

Dynamis changes tactics as a pair of kobolds retaliate. He turns one hand toward one of the bowmen kobold, and two small spheres of force oozes out of his hand and fire of at one of the ranged kobolds.

Magic Missile split between two strongest looking kobold 2d4 2 Force damage.

Wow Giles did 16 damage to one of the mooks, so that takes out 2 of them, and almost a third. If the two ranged ones were the ones he killed then my Magic Missile would be against the almost dead one.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

(Also taking my turn now, since my sleep schedule is hosed.)

Sidnae

"Oho, Rythin, I'm just getting started."

Sidnae kicks one of the small kobolds into the air, then smashes it with her totem, sending it flying into two other kobolds. The first and second are killed on impact; the third lands safely in Genevieve's mouth, where it's killed with a mighty crunch.

Sidnae's attack: 1d20+5 = 16
Sidnae's damage: 1d10+4 = 13
Genevieve's attack: 1d20+5 = 19
Genevieve's damage: 1d8 = 5

Total of 18 damage to the mooks, killing 3

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

So yeah that's six more mooks dead :toot:.

No narrative because so much grading :effort:

pre:
Init:
23 Mooks:          AC 16, PD 14, MD 10, HP 6 (Group: 12 HP left)
18 Dynamis:        AC 13, PD 13, MD 15, HP 27 - 6 = 21
15 Shakti:         AC 16, PD 13, MD 14, HP 24
Dynamis went so Shakti is up!

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Shakti

Shakti stabs some kobold mooks.

I got work in half an hour I don't feel like prettying that poo poo up. I'm bad at D&D, so bad.

Attack roll: 1d20 + 4 = 21
Damage roll: 1d10 + 4 = 12

gently caress these kobolds theyre fuckin dead

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The kobolds shriek as the last few are cut down by Shakti moving into the archers' ranks. The warriors move in to avenge their fallen comrades; or perhaps just because Shakti is again between them and the door. Two of them manage to land panicked blows.

Three kobold warriors attack Shakti!: 15, 18, 27 for 8 damage!

pre:
Init:
23 Mooks:          AC 16, PD 14, MD 10, HP 6 (Group: 12 HP left)
18 Dynamis:        AC 13, PD 13, MD 15, HP 27 - 6
15 Shakti:         AC 16, PD 13, MD 14, HP 24-8
Giles, Erevan, Rythin, Sidnae, and Nate are up!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Giles

Giles reaches out and releases another bolt of energy towards the closest of the kobold warriors attacking Shakti. The kobold is just repositioning himself for another attack, however, and the bolt passes harmlessly by him into the cave wall beyond.

Javelin of Faith on closest kobold warrior. d20+WIS+Level vs. PD = 13. A miss.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 23, 2013

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sadly, kobolds don't take damage on a miss, making them the clearly superior horde among all the various little green men to be thrown at budding heroes.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Doomsayer posted:

Sadly, kobolds don't take damage on a miss, making them the clearly superior horde among all the various little green men to be thrown at budding heroes.

Didn't know that.

My next character is totally going to be a kobold warrior. :v:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Didn't know that.

My next character is totally going to be a kobold warrior. :v:

Oh you weren't supposed to, that was me revealing their secret ability that really I probably should've mentioned beforehand :v:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Erevan

Erevan fights carefully, slowly shifting himself toward the back of the room so he has a wall at his back and the clanlords in front of him. He deftly parries both their attacks and then, seeing an opening, he lunges. This time, his attack is true: the kobold is caught totally off-guard and takes a vicious slice to shoulder.

Standard: MBA vs. Clanlord 2. (Crits for 12 damage.)

MBA v. Clanlord 2: 1d20+5 25 1d8+4 6

I'm assuming that the Escalation die is still at 0? I can't remember whether it ticks up after a surprise round. Also, where was that attack roll last round? :argh:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin grins, showing his sharp teeth. "This may come as a bit of a shock!" After the lame one-liner, he spins the staff and points it at one of the warrior kobolds. Lightning arcs from the pointed edge of the staff and leaps to the warrior. A strong smell of cooked flesh and ozone fills the air.

Lightning Fork vs Warrior 1's PD: 1d20+4 17
Damage: 3d6+4 17

I'll be honest, that was less than I expected. The entire point of lightning fork is to fork, and this one didn't. Oh well.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 23, 2013

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

Warmed up in the battle, Nate decides to start earning his pay.With a certain long-forgotten tune on his lips, Nate starts playing harmonica, imbuing the music with some strange magics as he got his sword ready. Joining Erevan in his fight against the kobold chief, Nate strikes like ...a man swinging a sword.

Give him a break, he's hitting a kobold chieftain with a sword and playing magical harmonica music, he's too busy to think up an interesting simile.

Playin' a Song of Heroes to give EVERYBODY a +1 attack bonus
Striking the Kobold Chief engaged with Erevan
1d20+4 Melee Attack = 19 (18 (14 nat) + 1)
Damage Roll = 8

So 8 Dam on him, and since I can't tell who's engaged or unengaged, the first one to post MOVE ME! gets the effect of my Battle Cry Move It!, and can either move as free action if unengaged OR make a disengaged check if engaged.

VVV Ziria is getting MOVED!

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 23, 2013

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Seeing how Ziria is the last one to go and isn't engaged... I think I'm gonna take up your offer of MOVE ME! to go assist Shakti with the three warriors

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Speaking of not knowing whether someone is engaged, what do you guys think about me setting up a Roll20 table? Just to use as a kind of active map. I can put the defense table on there, and attach the HP values to the monsters, so you guys can move and deal damage on your own, as well as apply buffs and debuffs. Obviously it wouldn't be the full 4e-style measuring squares and whatnot, but you could move your own tokens around so everyone knows where everyone else is, including the monsters.

It would require more slightly more work for each individual (gotta do that difficult double-digit HP subtraction yourself, or rather tell Roll20 to do it), but I think it would keep battles moving more quickly and saves me a fair amount of headache which results in faster responses from me when I don't have to keep track of everything.

Would everyone be okay with that?

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Sounds fine by me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Yeah, I'm cool with that. I was about to ask you if there was a way to show positions anyway.

• Locked thread