Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Rythin

Rythin sighs, and shakes his head. "Of course not. Is it too much to hope there's some good dwarven ale at this bar?" He orders a beer and sits back to watch the others in the caravan. As nice as they seemed, he wasn't going to trust them immediately. He'd been betrayed before.

Ashdraanol (Conflicted): One 4
Caincakah (Positive): One :siren:6:siren:, one :siren:5:siren:
Arcanist (Negative): One 3

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin saunters over, pulling up a seat next to Erevan. "Ziria, there's no need to go looking for trouble. We're guards, it'll find us."

He looks over to the other elf. "Elfa, was it? So nice to meet you. I'm Rythin, and any friend of Erevan's that buys me beer is a friend of mine."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin's tail twitched. "Oh, so it's kobolds?" If he were a dog, you would see his ears prick up. "Well, why didn't you say so? I'm always ready to exterminate some vermin. Consider me in." Rythin drained the last of his beer and smiled. It wasn't a nice smile.

Probably because of all of the pointed teeth.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 19, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"I'm mostly cold-blooded, drat it. Someone light those torches before I freeze to death."

The strange black tattoo on Rythin's scales twitches and starts to stir slightly, probably reacting to the change in mood.

I forgot to roll for my familiar's extra abilites, so here they are.

Poisonous (default) - once a battle, add 5 ongoing poison to an engaged enemy that I hit
Counter-Bite - 1d4 to the first enemy that hits me with a melee attack each battle
Alert - +2 to Wisdom skill checks

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"Oh, we're doing that light thing now? Ah, what the hell. I'll join in the fun." Rythin performs a small complicated-looking gesture with his left hand and varied lights start appearing at random intervals.

It's the dancing lights spell. Random light globes within 5 to 30 feet every few seconds that last for about five seconds before dying out. Should we just go with it dying out the same time as the other light spell, or at a dramatic moment?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin looks at the Thunderstone before Nate pockets it. "I think I've used something like that in one of my shows before. Useful when you need to distract people." He joins the rest of the group at the door. "So at what point do we give up eavesdropping and smash this thing down?"

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"Well. That worked slightly better than expected."
Rythin leans into the opening and looks at the kobolds, then back to the rest of the party. "I don't suppose it would help to say sorry, would it?"

vvv "I guess not."

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 = 13

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 21, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin eyes the blood splatter on the ground. "That was rather mild, Sidnae. Are you feeling alright?" His job of snarking done, he steps forward, holding his staff. After a complicated gesture, a loud crack emanates from the staff and a ripple of air streaks toward one of the kobold fighters.

Chaos Bolt gets a random damage.
Damage type: Thunder
Attack toward kobold fighter: 1d20 + 5 = 9 vs PD
Damage: 1d8 + 4 = 5

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin grins, showing his sharp teeth. "This may come as a bit of a shock!" After the lame one-liner, he spins the staff and points it at one of the warrior kobolds. Lightning arcs from the pointed edge of the staff and leaps to the warrior. A strong smell of cooked flesh and ozone fills the air.

Lightning Fork vs Warrior 1's PD: 1d20+4 17
Damage: 3d6+4 17

I'll be honest, that was less than I expected. The entire point of lightning fork is to fork, and this one didn't. Oh well.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 23, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Yeah, I'm cool with that. I was about to ask you if there was a way to show positions anyway.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin enters through the open doorway. "That went by quickly. I can't even remember the last half of the fight." He looks around the room, and moves over to peer behind the half-wall - cautiously, because those kobolds probably trapped everything in this place.

Lightning Fork Recharge: 1d20 = 16 (Just enough to recharge my spell. Cool.)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin walks over when the door is kicked down. As soon as Shakti says "Barrels", he immediately turns around and walks the other way, fully expecting another trap. "I'll wait by the wall for the boom, if that's okay with you."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Not much shocks Rythin. Having performed shows in the greatest of cities, he'd seen all kinds of things. The kind of people that frequent a street magic show aren't exactly the face of the nobility. A talking animal rates maybe a 4 or 5 on the scale of different. Hell, he's a walking, talking dragonic that can use magic. There's not much that can surprise him short of a visit from the gods. "Ah, the 'hide-a-weasel-in-a-barrel-and-wait-for-someone-to-open-it' trap. drat kobolds. I do wish they'd come up with a surprise now and then. The talking is a nice touch, though. Shows they care."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"Help? What do you need more help for? You've got me, Ziria, and all the others here. I think we can handle a few lizards." Rythin laughs. "And as for whatever that weasel saw, I'm sure that none of us are scared of the dark."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin thinks for a bit. "Why don't we send out the weasel? It said it was hiding from the kobolds because they wanted to eat it. I bet they wouldn't pass up another shot at getting a bite to eat."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"Dynamis and I should probably hang back or turn off our lights. It might be rather obvious if there were flashing lights every now and then." Rythin frowns. "Although, we could distract them somehow. Possibly with a meal."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

I meant if we were going to sneak closer for a better look.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

After carefully climbing up the ladder, Rythin took in the scene. He whispers, "There's no way this isn't a trap, is there."

I don't have a sneaking background, so whatever.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Ah, what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

Rythin walks out into the firelight. "Hey, I'm your replacement. Go get some sleep, you look like you need it. How long have you been here, anyway? Nevermind, I don't actually care. Just get outta here."

Trying to convince them I'm their replacement using Conman background (+5).

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin narrows his eyes and answers in the same draconic language. <Of course I trust these humans. They're like pets. After you house-break them, they more or less follow you around doing what you want.> Rythin glances back at Sidnae. "Sidnae, they said they were being attacked by the darkness that weasel told us about. They want our help."

Rythin turns back to the kobolds. <We were looking for the darkness in the first place, not you. Where are your clan leaders? I need to speak with them.>

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin looks at the injured kobolds. He shakes his head. "...<I won't hurt you. I can't guarantee you'll be safe or have access to food soon, but you won't have anything to worry about from me or my friends. We'll do our best to get rid of the dark one. Could one of you show us the way?>"

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"<Alright. Don't get into trouble while we're down there, okay? I'll be back when we kill whatever that thing is.>" Rythin heads out to the rest of the party.

"Yeah, so there's about twelve kobolds holed up in there. They're weak, injured, and I told them we wouldn't hurt them. Let's go, that darkness the weasel talked about is that way." He points toward the dark area the kobold pointed to. "They said it would be small and narrow, so how about we have Ziria or Erevan go first?"

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin laughs. "Came with the scales. Nah, I learned a bastardized form that mixed kobold and draconinc just enough that it's understandable. Needed it for a show."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin is trying very hard to suppress a gag reflex. When you can breathe fire, vomit can become rather flammable. "Ziria, I'm not taking that bet. Urgh..."

Rythin picks his way over to join his friends. "I've decided. We're going to destroy the Darkness, even if only so I can justify having to come down here. Either way, I'm up for some petty vandalism if anyone else is."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"I don't know... I kinda like how the world is right now. We don't need some idiot who thinks they're the avatar of Caincakah or something messing the place up." Rythin shakes his head and mutters, "I hate religion."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin drops all pretenses of being friendly. "You're going to experience a large amount of pain in your future." A small shockwave ripples out from Rythin, and he is suddenly surrounded by mystical crackling energy, swirling and spinning. "And when I say future, I mean right now."

Using the Gather Power Sorcerer ability to generate the effects. When used in battle I get extra effects - +2 to a breath attack, double damage, and a random benefit to me. If it's a problem I can pretend what I just did was only the effects and ignore the bonuses from this one (I just thought it would be cool).

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 5, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

The aura of power and magic around Rythin is pulsating and fluctuating faster than before. "I will break you!" he snarls, and unleashes a blast of sleet and hail. Unfortunately, his anger is making the magic wild and uncontrollable and it blasts past the man-thing, missing him completely.

Standard: Breath of the White (1d20+7 = 8)

What happened to the dice? Anyway, that was a breath weapon so each turn I roll a d20. I can use Breath of the White again on a 16+. It's a daily, though, so I'm out of it after this battle.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Breath of the White recharge: failure

Rythin quickly got himself under control - the chaotic nature of his magic made losing control extremely dangerous. Next time, the magic might go out of control even more...

The aura of magic quickly returned around Rythin. He laughs, "Try your best!"

Using standard action to Gather Power again.

Gather Power bonus: 1 damage to nearby staggered enemies (nothing useful, unless the guy is staggered)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

You can take that back, really. I've discussed things with Doomsayer and there's a plan. Possibly involving relationship dice.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin's eyes... or rather, eye, opens. He seems almost grateful to be alive. For about half a second, until the pain kicks in. "Ow, god drat that hurts." He slowly stands up, the magical power flaring up around him again. "Thanks, Z. I got this from here." He winces in pain and stares at the monster. The intimidating effect of the pair of slit eyes staring at you is kinda diminished when one is a bloody mess.

"You've got something of mine. That's fine, you can have it. But I do want something in return." Rythin's eyes gleam with a feral glint. "I want you dead." He slams the butt of his spear on the ground, and a blast of chill strikes out at the thing in front of him. After the attack, Rythin drops to his knees, nearly spent. "That hurts. That hurts quite a bit." Rythin looks around. "A little help here?"

HP: 1/27
Recoveries: 8/8

Standard Action - Breath of the White attack: 1d20 + 9 = 11
Breath of the White damage: 3d6 + 4 = 12 cold damage
Because I gathered power, the damage isn't halved on the miss (it's really halved, then doubled). Why do the dice hate me so much?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin somehow pulls himself to his feet and staggers over to the creature. "I told I wanted you dead, you son of a bitch." He carefully lines up his spear and drives it through the remnants of the creature's eye, piercing the brain. "An eye for an eye. And now all you can see is the dark."

Rythin turns and walks over to Ziria, the nearest of the group. "When I fall over in about three seconds, can you make sure I don't hurt myself?" He then proceeds to collapse, probably from blood loss.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin manages to lift his head and growl, "<Oh shut up. We're fine.>" At some point during the trek back he'd been able to stand up again, though he's still weak. He's barely able to walk with help, let alone by himself, so it's a good thing he has Ziria to support him. "<Whatever it is is gone.>"

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin tries to laugh. "I'm not sure if those people are up for a peace settlement, but I'll pass on the rest of the message." He switches languages to speak with the kobolds. "<The Darkness is gone, and we will keep our word. You will not be harmed. However, if you attack the townsfolk, we cannot guarantee your safety. If you are willing, we might be able to get peace talks going.>"

Rythin's tail droops. "Ugh, I have a splitting headache. I'm not in the mood for this."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin sees Erevan reach for his sword. He reaches out and grabs Erevan's arm. "Don't be an idiot. We're in no condition to fight now. I'm as angry as you are, but we can't win this." Rythin is angry, true, but more for the lost gold than anything. There's no way he's getting paid now.

If the kobolds are still following us, assume Rythin tells them to get the gently caress back. Otherwise, I've got no backgrounds that might help.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"Ah, but the carts might hold the gold we were promised. And the other townspeople too, I guess."

Rythin grins. "The townspeople would also probably have the materials for an eyepatch. I want a well made one."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

By this point, Rythin has torn a strip of some material to service as an eye patch. Well, it's really more of a bandage than an eye patch, but what are you going to do while on the ride to catch some kidnappers? The dragon tattoo is swirling around the injury, rather agitated.

Rythin turns to Dynamis. "What spells do you have for today? We'll want to take out as many of them as possible without getting caught."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

"I'll join Nate. Missing an eye will make it somewhat difficult to fight well." Rythin shrugs. "I do my best work when I'm not up close and personal anyway."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Turns out I have to use recoveries because I was staggered/bloodied. Three of them, to be exact. I am at 21 health and 5 recoveries left.

Rythin sighs. "Trust Sidnae to just jump right in." He looks to Nate. "Shall we be off? We have some soldiers to sneak up on."

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 19, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Doomsayer posted:

You kind of were, just not parallel. That's why you needed to be stealthy, in order to set up an ambush you had to sneak past them in order to set up at the cliff.

Huh. So we're right behind them, in the V?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

From what I can tell, the plan, when we thought we were parallel to them but on top of the cliff, was that after Erevan and Ziria blew up the cliff, half of us would sneak behind them and the other half would charge from the front. Obviously, that's not what's going to happen.

• Locked thread