Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
At the base of the Dragonclaw mountain...
It has been several days since the earliest of your groups began to gather at the base of the mountain, at the telepathic summons of a seemingly-benevolent creature of unknown history and terrifying demeanor. Obviously hailing from the brain-devouring race of flayers to those of you knowledgeable about such things, there is at best a loose and tenuous trust in the promise he has made to you and your kin at the moment. However, as is ever the case, when hope is all but lost in a people’s hearts, even the most unthinkable sources of newly minted hopes are desperately grabbed at and treasured by even the wisest of races.

The creature – calling himself Professor Kraken – has mostly kept to himself for the past few days, engaging in conversation when approached, but not specifically seeking out frequent interactions with you or your people. It’s hard to tell, given his alien physique and presumably different array of emotions, but you have gotten the sense that he is giving you space so that you’ll feel at least a little more comfortable. He has explained his history to you, though, at least on some level: he has mentioned that he was born into a race of unrepentantly evil beings, who have spent countless generations subjugating, exterminating, and otherwise ruining the day of what they consider to be ‘lesser’ races, which is essentially everyone. However, he is not like them: not by some unbelievable fluke of genetics, or because he had a pure heart, but because of a curse. Many years ago, he adorned his head with an enchanted circlet which he believed would enhance his already-significant telepathic prowess, only to find that it had been cleverly designed to twist the heart and mind of whosoever placed it upon their head. As a result, his soul was purified, and his mind eased of the dark and contemptuous thoughts that once plagued it. He is wracked with guilt not only for the crimes he has committed in his former life, but also the crimes of his forefathers: for his species possesses the memory of its ancestors, and he can remember clearly the atrocities committed by a hundred generations of his brood as if they were done by his own hand.

This guilt, he explained, is why he has beckoned you to this location. As you are all aware, the apparent end of your world has come. He does not know why the forces of Istishia, the king of water elementals, have declared war upon your lands, but he does not believe the onslaught is one that can be survived. Many of the heroes of your respective people have fought and died in an effort to stem the literal tide of water elementals rising from the depths, and the terrible curses they are laying upon your world: but they have not succeeded. Rather than adding his body to the rather sizable pile beginning to accumulate at the bottom of your ever-rising oceans and seas, he has decided on a different course of action: for the last year he has been journeying to the remaining bastions of civilization scattered about your world, and making an offer to those survivors who would give him an audience: if you are willing, he will send you to a new world, safe from the plagues of war and saltwater that are enveloping your lands.

In all, five groups including your own have answered his call, and have been gathering at the base of the mountain for the past few days. They are a strange and variable lot, numbering some creatures that you recognize, at least somewhat, and many strange beings that you know essentially nothing about. Not counting yourself, each of your entourages contains about twenty souls, which as you well know is very likely insufficient to build a new home in a new land. Together, however, it is conceivable that you might be able to survive, and – if you are lucky – perhaps even thrive. You have great concerns about your ability to coexist with these other races, either due to not really understanding them, or perhaps because you believe you understand them all too well. Circumstances have handed you a dangerous gamble, it seems, but there appears to be no other option: at least for the moment, until you get a better handle on the risks and opportunities of whatever new home you are to be given, your life might very well depend on the kindness and cooperation of this assortment of strangers.

Your options...
You have been lost in thought on the myriad of issues that you know are going to confront your people in the coming weeks and months: so much so that you scarcely noticed Professor Kraken emerging from his cave at the base of the mountain, and motioning your respective leaders to gather around him. Eventually, he catches your attention telepathically, ‘saying’ directly into your mind, “You, who are the leaders of your people. Come and gather before me, if you will. You have much to discuss, for when the sun sets this evening, you and your kin will be departing.”

He continues, explaining, “As I have mentioned, my people have scoured the many planes of existence for countless generations, generally in their efforts to find and enslave new races to serve them. Although I will never be able to wipe those great evils from my mind, some good may come of that knowledge: for it has given me the information I need to be able to send you to a world that should be able to accommodate your preferences and needs. The choice you will need to make – your first as the apparent leaders of this new community, it would seem – is which world.” Apologetically, he states, “Unfortunately, you are not the first group of survivors to take me up on my offer. In fact, you are the thirty-second collection of tribes that I will be sending to a new land. Unfortunately, this means that most of the...um, I guess you would call them ‘good’ choices for a new home have already been taken. Don’t worry, though! There’s plenty of choices remaining. They have their flaws, though. I’m sorry, let me explain.”

Frostrime, the eternal glacier.

Telepathically relaying words and images into your respective minds, the Professor begins, explaining, “First up on the list of options is Frostrime, the eternal glacier, located on the coast of the Bitter Sea. Now, I know what you’re thinking – literally, actually – but hear me out. Although this is a harsh land of ice, glaciers, snow and tundra, it is not without its charm. It is isolated, and contains relatively few natural predators. I do not believe there are any other races that have laid claim to this land...admittedly, perhaps for obvious reasons...but if you were able to overcome its natural hazards, it should be able to afford you a relatively calm and peaceful existence. Plus, it’s summer there right now! Which is definitely a plus.”

Belatedly, he added, “that said, there have always been rumors of terrible and ancient beasts sleeping beneath the ice. I’m pretty sure they’re just stories, though.”

Deathknell, the burning waste.

Moving on to the second item on his list, the Professor continues, “Formerly known as the Cradle of Life, this place actually gets a fairly bad reputation. It does get very hot during the day, and rather cold at night, but that’s only outdoors! There are plenty of nice caves in this area, some of which contain water, and there are also a number of rivers crisscrossing the land. This area isn’t terrible for wildlife, either: although admittedly it is mostly scorpions, crocodiles, and the like. Still, I think most of that is edible?”

As with the last choice, he delivered some bad news with the good, explaining, “This area did used to be pretty heavily populated, but most of the previous inhabitants were taken by my people. There are likely a lot of ruins buried beneath the sands to this day, just waiting to be explored. And I’m sure you’ll have some neighbors in the area, although they might have left the desert itself. Which reminds me: as a result of the great tragedies that occurred in this land, there might be a nominal amount of restless spirits that rise from their graves on an irregular nightly basis.”

Shrugging his shoulders, he added, “It’s not perfect, I know. But as with the last option it is rather secluded. And there definitely wouldn’t be any water elementals in the area. So that’s a plus, right?”

Hesperus, the black forest.

After a brief pause, he continues with the next option on the list, explaining, “This might be a bit more up your alley, if the previous two locations didn’t catch your interest. Hesperus is a forest teeming with life! Comprising a significant portion of the surrounding peninsula, there are innumerable groves and caves within which you could begin to build a new home, or perhaps you could even build something atop the trees themselves. Natural predators abound in this area, which might be a bit of a problem, but if you’re willing to take that risk there is a life of plenty just waiting to be nurtured in this location.”

Giving this location’s prime features a few moments to sink in, he then belatedly adds, “You should know, though: this area gets its name from its rather grim history. A terrible war was fought here, pitting brother against brother and family against family for several generations. The surviving clans fled the area: which means you’ll probably have some neighbors somewhere nearby, in a bordering land. You'll also have some neighbors beneath you, though, is the thing: a terrible curse was laid upon one of the surviving clans, turning them into some kind of half-spider beast. They crept into the caves of the forest, sinking ever deeper underground with each passing generation.”

After providing some suitable imagery, he explained, “The area used to be a demilitarized zone, essentially. The surviving clans agreed to keep it uninhabited by either of their races, to ensure a sufficient buffer between them such that they could avoid further hostilities. If they’re still around, I don’t know how well they would take to outsiders laying claim to the area. But if you keep a low profile you might go unnoticed.”

Banshee’s Rock, the jungle fortress.

Moving on rather excitedly to the next location, Professor Kraken states, “If isolationism is a bit more your thing, you needn’t look much further than Banshee’s Rock. Hidden in the middle of the ocean, several dozen leagues away from the nearest continent, the dense vegetation covering much of the island has kept would-be settlers at bay for hundreds of years.”

Predictably, he continued, “the rocky outcroppings of its shores have a history of being used as coves and hidden bases for raiders and pirates that have been excised from the continental community, though. Not exactly the friendliest neighbors in the world, generally. Problematically, the continental area nearest your little island is inhabited mostly by minotaurs, who have a pretty terrible attitude on the best of days, even before adopting a life of piracy.”

“On the bright side”, he belatedly added, “I’m pretty sure the whole ‘Banshee’s Rock’ thing is just a name spread by pirates to prevent people from visiting. So you probably won’t have to deal with a resident banshee. Probably. This area does see some pretty powerful seasonal weather, though. Hurricanes and all that. I guess the wailing of a gale-force wind might be where it derives its name, now that I think about it.”

Mt. Thunderlizard, and the crags of appeasement.

Finally catching his rhythm as a public speaker, Professor Kraken moves on to the next option: a beautiful series of mountains and hills, as well as a rather large canyon at its base. “Mt. Thunderlizard, as it is known, would be a wonderful area to build a new home. The mountain is home to all variety of saurian creatures, and is said to have once been the home of an ancient dragon! Blue of scale, and a rather clever engineer, as I recall. I’m sure he’s moved on by now, though.”

Continuing, he adds, “Although the area has a number of sources of fresh water, and likely even some ruins of ancient settlements that you might be able to fix up into a nice hamlet, you should know: your neighbors wouldn’t be the friendliest. There is a rather...I don’t mean to be rude, but the right word is probably ‘cult-like’ society bordering the mountain, comprised of lycanthropes.”

“They’re pretty well-organized, and not the sort of people I’d want to borrow a cup of sugar from, even if I really had a need for a cup of sugar.” Shrugging, he suggested, “They stay away from the mountains for the most part though, instead inhabiting the valleys in the surrounding area. They do come up to the mountain once every few years to present a sacrifice to the titan who lives in the crags of appeasement, though.”

“You probably don’t want to let him know that you’ve moved in either, really.” he suggested.

The Forsaken Plains of the Darklands.

Dismissively waving one hand through the air, the Professor explained, “This is another one of those areas that has a very foreboding name. A lot of strange things happen in this area: ancient stone monuments randomly levitate, and sometimes move themselves about the area, for example. Occasionally, eerie lights will streak throughout the sky, and the next morning you’ll find yourself waking up in the body of the person you were sleeping beside. That normally wears off after a few days, though. Various arcane and divine magic also has a bit of trouble functioning reliably here, presumably for related reasons.”

Laughing glibly, he suggested, “If you were looking for a home unlikely to be invaded by powerful wizards or terrifying extra-planar races, this would definitely be it! There’s lots of viable farmland, so long as you don’t mind the occasional levitating monument soaring over the area and blocking the sunlight of your crops. It’s really quite rare for them to fall from the sky, though, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Don’t stand underneath them, though, obviously.”

Completing the review of the area, he added, “As to the local population, there aren’t any permanent settlements that I know of, so I don’t think you’d need to worry about encroaching on anybody’s territory. There are, however – well, not quite ‘hordes’, per se – but a nomadic culture of barbarians that roam the area, generally following herds of the indigenous cockatrice. They’re troll barbarians, if that matters.”

Belatedly, he added, “Oh, also: the area gets six months of light, followed by six months of darkness at a time. Something to do with the positioning of the moons, I think. I guess that might make farming a bit harder? I find it pretty relaxing at night, though, personally.”

Behemoth’s Basin, the endless swamps.

“Surrounded on all sides by desolate and lifeless mountains, I think this area used to be a pretty lively valley. For whatever reason, it’s got some drainage issues these days, and is really exceptionally waterlogged. There’s plenty of usable land, don’t get me wrong: it just dots the landscapes in tiny little islands a few hundred or thousand feet apart from one another. All in all, Behemoth’s Basin has a lot to offer to the right colonists.”

Hesitantly, he continued, “There are some risks to this area, though. I am not sure where they came from, but strange constructs roam the swamps from time to time. As far as I know they tend to avoid living creatures, merely observing from a distance, but something about that unnerves me. The area also has a bit of a sahuagin problem, who themselves have been devotees of a supposedly resident dragon for generations. I’ve never seen the dragon, though. It might just be a story they tell themselves, a rich little piece of cultural history, perhaps?”

Rid, the deepest dark.

With emphasis this time around, he stated, “I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this one for you folks, but it’s got its merits, I suppose. Rid is a land utterly devoid of sunlight, located a few miles underground at best. It isn’t exactly pitch black down there, due to some natural lighting from various fungus and crystalline growths that dot the landscape, but it is pretty barren. Water is a rarity, and I’m not sure how you would put together any serious agricultural efforts, but if you were interested in a little adventure, this would be your go-to location. There are several other cultures somewhere within the tunnels connecting the underground realm, although most of them are pretty...well, let’s just say they’re isolationist. The area is also full of more than a few undesirable local pests.”

Your move.
After a noticeable pause, he states, “And that concludes the options available to you. I would recommend that you take some time to discuss amongst yourselves, and consider your personal strengths and weaknesses, as well as that of your people. Each of these locations could prove to be a suitable home, so long as you are well-prepared to inhabit the area. I imagine the first few weeks will be hardest, but I’m confident you lot have it in you. As mentioned, you have until the setting of the sun to make your decision, so I’ll leave you to that.”

With that, the Professor returns back into the confines of his cave, and the five of you are left with many options to consider and many risks to be weighed. None of the locations presented to you have appeared to be paradise, which was unfortunate, but you weren’t really expecting a miracle, you suppose. Your first task will be getting to know your fellow leaders, and beginning to understand who they are and what they can do, and similarly what their people can do. Without adequate planning, you fear this enterprise will be doomed to failure, and you desperately hope you remember to consider all the important variables before coming to a decision.

Which reminds you...just how will this decision be made? Professor Kraken appears to have suggested that all of you should be going to a single location. There are five tribes, and five leaders. Perhaps there are five votes to be cast? Or will you attempt to intimidate your fellows into following your preferred path? Or perhaps trick them into it? The choices you make today could very well shape the course of your relationship with these other races for the foreseeable future. You hope you will choose wisely.

pre:
Now would be a good time to formally introduce yourselves to your fellow leaders.
You will collectively need to come to a decision as to which location should become your new home.
If you are so inclined, you can also consult your people to get their input as to what they want and don’t want.
As you begin to contemplate your introduction to your follows, a telepathic message rings out in your mind, and you recognize it as the Professor. “Oh, I almost forgot! I have a bit of a cache of treasure that I found in this old mountain, here. You are welcome to take a few things to help you on your way. You might want to consider which would be most useful depending on where you want to live, but they all seem pretty versatile.”

pre:
You may take up to 12,000gp from the following hoard:
1,000gp:  Dowsing syrup
2,000gp:  Iron spike of safe passage
2,400gp:  Sovereign glue
2,700gp:  Stone of alarm
3,000gp:  Cauldron of brewing
3,000gp:  Rope of climbing
4,400gp:  Wind-caller compass
5,000gp:  Bone razor
5,000gp:  Box of stubborn nails (x50)
5,000gp:  Immovable rod
5,000gp:  Mallet of building
5,400gp:  Eversmoking bottle
7,000gp:  Instant bridge
7,200gp:  Folding boat
8,700gp:  Scholar’s ring

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Within the upper tunnels of the Dragonclaw mountain...
Last to speak, but loudest by far, the voice of the apparent 'king' of the orcs reverberates throughout the mountain tunnel in which you have been holding your congress. The tension is palpable in the air as he finishes his statement, and the three other leaders look hesitantly between the orc and the dryad, unsure as to how the spirit of the woods will react to the claim that your potential forest home should be logged as a first priority.

Although not particularly surprising, your first meeting with your future allies does not appear be going well. With the exception of the diplomatic fetchling, none have even bothered to introduce themselves to the group, leading at least one of you to wonder whether that is an intentional slight, or merely an oversight given the abundance of information thrust upon you and the serious matters to consider.

Still, it hasn't been a total disaster to your eyes and ears. Although not done in the most cooperative or logical of manners, each leader has expressed a series of preferences for your future homeland, and while there does not appear to be unity among you as of yet, it does seem that you can all agree that neither the desert nor the cavernous underground are frontrunners in the selection process. Rather, it appears as if the jungle island of Banshee's Rock and Mt. Thunderlizard are preferred, with the black forest Hesperus and the endless swamps of Behemoth's Basin being seriously considered as well.

pre:
Apparent votes:
			Sk	Dr	Or	Fe	Un	#
Frostrime		X	-	-	-	-	1
Deathknell		-	-	-	-	-	0
Hesperus		-	X	X	-	-	2
Banshee's Rock		X	X	-	X	X	4
Mt. Thunderlizard	-	X	-	X	X	3
The Forsaken Plains	X	-	-	-	-	1
Behemoth's Basin	-	X	-	X	-	2
Rid			-	-	-	-	-	0
As your conversation with your fellow leaders moves into its second hour (if counting the time spent listening to the options presented by the Professor), it occurs to you that relatively few opinions have been expressed on the treasure hoard that is available to your group. Sensing that this might be an opportunity to commit the group to a decision favorable to your interests before the others have enough time to focus on the matter, you begin to consider in greater detail just what it is you desire most from the cache, and how best to convince the others of its value.

pre:
Please make a d100 roll, and indicate your preferred treasure from the cache.
There are still several hours left before Professor Kraken's deadline, but you have no doubt that you will grow weary of this discussion long before the setting of the sun. After taking stock of the initial opinions of each of your fellow leaders, you find yourself focused anew on the matter of making a decision with regards to your planar destination. There appears to be majority preference for Banshee's Rock, but not unanimous approval. As leaders, it is your task to decide whether to proceed with this choice, or to change your votes to a more preferable alternative.

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 21, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
pre:

Achievement unlocked!:  Homesteading.
You have collectively selected a new home, without any violence or corruption in the electoral process!
Benefit:  Following your example, for the next week your people are unlikely to resort to infighting.
Sunset, at the base of the Dragonclaw mountain...
The back-and-forth debate of the tribal leaders had been going on for several hours, until ultimately the leader of the fetchlings, Zoka, stepped up. Where the others had merely been expressing their opinions and concerns, his suggestion of a ranking system enabled real progress to be made, and in short order the previously endless debate was drawn down to an apparent choice of the jungle island of Banshee’s Rock.

While there was still some discussion to be had on the subject of the magical aides to be taken from the Professor’s offered hoard, that discussion was momentarily put off such that your respective tribes could be informed of the decision, and given the few hours remaining until sunset to prepare themselves. Their reaction to your decision has been as follows…

pre:
Community status:
The skeletons are pleased with the potential solitude offered by the isolated island.
The dryads are pleased that your home will have ready access to a living forest.
The orcs are excited to meet the pirates, and hunt game in the jungle.
The fetchlings are hopeful that the jungle will be similar to their original forest home.
The unicorns are pleased that they will have a large forested area to claim and guard.

The tribes are not currently expressing any negative emotions.
You appear to have made a choice acceptable to everyone.
When informed of your destination, Professor Kraken is likewise visually pleased, and exclaims, “Well, that’s impressive. Most of the groups that I’ve transplanted have taken literally up to the last minute to come to a conclusion as to where they wanted to go. You folks are at least a few hours ahead of schedule! I have to admit I am a little surprised that such a …diverse… group was able to come to an agreement so readily.” He obviously moves his gaze from the orcs to the dryads, and then to the unicorns and back to the skeletons, before clapping his hands together in apparent appreciation of your efforts. “Hopefully this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship, huh?”, he says, clapping Zoka on the back.

With your primary decision made, he proclaims to the group at large, “All right, folks, time to saddle up! Or suit up. Or whatever it is you have to do to get ready to move, I guess!” With a wave of his hand, a rippling portal of energy shimmers into existence at the base of the mountain, about twenty feet in diameter. Although hazy, on the other side you can vaguely see the outline of a rocky ledge, significant vines and overgrowth, and in the distance what appears to be an ocean or sea. By all appearances, and logical deduction, it is clearly some part of Banshee’s Rock.

The Professor explains, “I’ll come with you folks, and stay for the first night or so. That should give you plenty of time to figure out which of these bountiful treasures you want to keep. I really won’t be able to stay for long though, as there are still people in this land that need my help, so hopefully you’re able to figure out what you want quickly!” With that, he gestures in a deep bow and a wave of his hand that the time to depart has come, and your caravans begin to depart through the planar gate to their new homeland. Whether one-by-one, two-by-two, or wagon-by-wagon, they step through without incident, and the first day of your new life is finally about to begin...

Setting foot upon Banshee’s Rock...

Stepping through the portal is an uneasy feeling for each of you. Although you have been given every reason to trust the Professor, some part of your mind still clings to the rational and sane deduction that trusting a mind flayer is one of, if not the worst decision you could possibly make in life. Still, what other choice did you have?

The ride through the planar gate is intense, to say the least, and certainly a unique experience that you do not wish to replicate again in the near future. It felt as if you were being deconstructed, only to be thrust through the portal at overwhelming speeds, with powerful gravitational forces pulling at you in a dozen directions at once. You ‘land’ on the other side of the shimmering gate, and like many of your fellows find yourself weak-kneed and a little sick to your stomach or with a powerful headache. Although the leaders, heroes that they are, manage to avoid throwing up, many of the orcs and a few of the unicorns are not as lucky, and their recent dinner is quickly expelled all over the ground of your new home.

After a few awkward minutes of cleaning up and pulling yourselves together, you find yourself vindicated in the choice you have made to trust the Professor. You have found yourselves at a rocky ledge, overlooking what appears to be a massive bay in one direction, with the jungle all about you, and the barely-visible hints of a taller hilly or mountainous region in the distance in the direction opposite the bay. It is clearly not the best campsite in the world, given that you have recently moved in and could be surrounded by any number of unknown predators, and your only escape route appears to be a hundred-foot drop to the jagged rocks in the bay beneath you. Still, the air is fresh, and for the first time in as long as you can remember the endless storms of your homeland have subsided, giving way to the calming clamor of waves against rocks and the call of gulls in the air. It’s been a very long time since you have heard the call of such a bird, and the sound of it fills you with something resembling hope for the future. Looking at the faces of your respective tribes, it is clear to you that they are thinking along the same lines.

As the minutes pass, the reality of your situation begins to set in. Although not an ideal place to live, the area in which you have landed is an excellent survey point. A few areas of interest present themselves readily, including a tiny island about half a mile out from the bay that you are overlooking, sandy beaches a few miles to what you believe to be to the west (a supposition based purely on the rising sun), and a seemingly endless expanse of jungle in every other direction. Although you have some supplies, it occurs to you that finding a source of fresh water is likely to be an important priority, and similarly you will need to figure out in the very short-term whether this is a location that you wish to begin to settle, or if you would prefer to explore the area a bit and find a location with features more amenable to your tastes.

Although you were warned of the possibility of pirates, at present there do not appear to be any ships visible in the bay or in the surrounding waters. As the last of your comrades step through the gate, the massive shimmering portal winks away. Given that you can’t see any ships in the distance, you are hopeful that nobody saw you enter the area. It is possible that someone in the elevated rocky area that you can see a ways away from here might have had a vantage point that would have made a massive blue-and-white gateway relatively easy to spot, but given that it was only open for twenty minutes at best you are at least moderately comfortable assuming that your migration has gone undetected for now.

With the rising sun comes a thousand new hopes and dreams, and your people are looking to you for answers and guidance, as always. They have the following questions of you:

pre:
Community inquiries:
All:  Should we set up camp here?
All:  Is this area safe?
Skeletons:  What do you want us to do?
Dryads:  The trees should be planted, but we shouldn’t uproot them again.  Where should we do this?
Orcs:  Where are the pirates?  Also, we’re kind of hungry.
Fetchlings:  This rocky outcropping makes us feel exposed.  It isn’t wise to remain in the open for long, is it?
Unicorns:  We are not yet attuned to the forest.  We wish to do this as soon as possible.  A proper glade must be found to conduct the ritual.
Professor Kraken looks to the group of people with newfound hope in their eyes, and seems to be wistfully taking in the situation. Approaching the group of leaders, he tells you, “If you wanted to explore the area a bit, I’d be happy to watch over your flock while you do so. You lot are likely to have a fair deal on your plate for the next few days, so let me know if there’s anything I can help with.”

Overall, your options appear to have widened considerably. You have a vast and unexplored new land at your fingertips, filled with countless opportunities and likely more than a few dangers. It occurs to you, looking at the remnants of your respective civilizations, just how precious each and every one of their lives has just become.

As leaders, you must now decide what priorities should be pursued by your community, and which tasks should be taken on by the leaders themselves. The sun is rising on the first day in your new home, and you must decide what to do with your time.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
At the survey point of the bay...
Professor Kraken confirms telepathically to the leaders, "oh my yes, dreadful storms maraud through this area once or twice a year. Incredibly dangerous stuff, you really don't want to get caught up in one. As I understand it you can normally tell they are coming a few days in advance, but that doesn't leave much time to uproot your life - no pun intended - if you have settled directly in its path." He provides a mental image to each of you of the potential danger, at that point.

He continues, "there is, of course, various powerful magic that could establish a safe zone around your home in the long-term, but you would need to either develop the skill to invoke such effects, or find an enchanted device to do the work for you. The wind-caller compass that I have in my stock can reduce the strength of local wind effects by a small degree, but only for about twelve hours per day. The effect it can produce also only covers a relatively small area, which would be suitable to guarding the entrance to a cave or something similar, but hardly enough to extend a safe zone over an entire encampment, let alone a burgeoning city." He shrugged apologetically, adding, "an orb of storms is what you really want, I suppose, but I haven't the faintest clue where you could find one of those."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
The Professor responds to Zoka's query with a shrug, apparently not knowing one way or the other. "As I think I may have mentioned, most of my knowledge of this area is second-hand, drawn from the genetic memory of my ancestors. I've never actually visited the island personally before. There aren't any recollections of volcanic activity in that pool of knowledge, but my people aren't exactly weekend mountain climbers, so the mountainous parts aren't an area that would have been surveyed in great detail." Apologetically, he shrugs again, and adds, "Being able to shift from plane to plane at will tends to cause my people to take a bit less notice of natural hazards, I'm afraid."

pre:
Visible from the survey point is an area of escalating hills and low-elevation mountains to what you believe to be the north.
They are about two or three miles away, and would require non-trivial climbing skill to ascend to the higher areas.
Some of the peaks are well above the jungle canopy, however, so would provide a much better vantage point than your current location.

There also seems to be a similar mountainous area due east, although its escalation is significantly more shear.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Health and Fitness Update, Week 1!
It has been about half an hour since you first set foot upon Banshee's Rock. After the initial turbulence of the planar transition wears off, both you and your tribal comrades have had a chance to take stock of your new surroundings, and for the most part everyone seems rather pleased. The fetchlings and dryads are acclimating well, as the area brings back fond memories of their forest homes, which they had been missing dearly in the recent weeks and months. The orcs are somewhat disappointed at the immediate lack of pirates, but appear to be coping with that letdown reasonably well, focusing on more important tasks such as assembling tents and collecting dry brush for firewood. The unicorns are the most sullen, owing to their inability to make use of their teleportation ability, as they have not yet attuned themselves to the surrounding forested area. Significant effort will need to be invested to attune each unicorn to the forest, and they know it may take some time before this task can be accomplished: they accept this reality, but do not like it very much. They don't feel 'whole' with such an integral component of their persona inaccessible. Although they readily admit they've felt this way for several weeks since leaving the forest, so it's not really a new thing.

It's hard to tell how the skeletons are feeling.

pre:
While you consider your options from this point forward, please keep in mind how you are currently feeling:

Hit Points
Szandra:     35 / 35 HP
Zoka:        21 / 21 HP
Skullguy:    25 / 25 HP
Uru'vi:      41 / 41 HP
Sieversii:   41 / 41 HP

Morale
Skeletons:   100% (highly resistant to morale penalties)
Fetchlings:   71%
Orcs:         69%
Unicorns:     62%
Dryads:       74%
pre:
The map has also been updated for the inclusion of hexes.
Each side of each hex is 1 mile in length, and it is a 1.5-mile journey from one side to another of any given hex.

With regard to traveling, the following data is relevant:
Trackless jungle enables you to move at 1/4 movement.
If you end up building (or finding) roads and trails, this can be improved to 3/4 movement.

Base overland movement for a 30' land speed creature is 24 miles per day (being 8 hours of walking).
Given the jungle penalty, this will enable you to travel at about 6 miles per day, or 4 hexes.

However, the area of each hex is just under 3 square miles.
It should take you about 4d6 hours to explore any given hex.
Doing so will enable you to make a relevant skill check (Perception, Survival, Knowledge(nature), etc.) to find points of interest.

Waador fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 23, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Your respective tribes seem to generally approve of the idea of setting up a temporary encampment somewhere less visible than the cliff face upon which you are currently situated. They don't want to expend significant resources to fortify a location until you can confirm whether it should be a permanent settlement, but they think they can make do with the tents and other resources they have to create a relatively comfortable area to rest.

Events:
The dryads are confident that with a little help from the fetchlings that they should be able to effectively camouflage the tents and other signs of life, using their ability to cause plants to entangle large areas to effectively close the jungle canopy, preventing anything from spotting you from the nearby mountains overlooking your general area. Sieversii and Zoka have been asked for permission for the two groups to work together to accomplish this goal, once a suitable encampment location is found.

The orcs are of the opinion that erecting a fence will be an important thing to do at the temporary encampment. They are asking their king, Skullguy, for permission to chop down "a few" trees in order to create the posts that will be necessary to build a proper fence. This will be very important in order to properly rein in the hundred chickens, twenty cows, ten goats, ten pigs, and four oxen that you have brought with you from the Old World. If you do not have a proper containment area, several orcs will need to stay on guard and tend to the livestock at all times to ensure they do not wander off.

The orcs have also offered to build a similar pen for the livestock of the dryads, who have brought with them an additional twenty cows, twenty oxen, and twenty sheep. Larry, the orc with the gluten allergy, has made this offer this to a dryad, who has passed along the request to Sieversii.

The skeletons believe excavation of the land and construction to be unwise at this juncture, and have interjected into the conversation to point out that they have no need for sleep or rest, and so could easily tend to the entire collection of livestock until a suitable location is found. One of the skeletons has noticed that the animals appear to be unsettled by the skeletal beings, generally keeping away from them and huddling together when one of their kind ventures near. He has informed Szandra of this, and has posited that a ring of skeletons facing inwards could be 'constructed' to pen in the livestock rather easily.

pre:
At present you appear to have decided on two things, being:
 - A temporary camp should be set up somewhere; and
 - The tribal leaders should explore the nearby area, with the specific direction not yet determined.

If you could confirm the direction and the plan for the camp those tasks will proceed accordingly.

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 25, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Base Camp Zero?
After a bit of initial confusion among the orcs surrounding the order to set up their tents, only to need to take them down again when it was decided that a camp in a less exposed area made more sense, the collection of tribes began to arrange itself in a sensible manner and began the trek throughout the unknown and foreboding jungle. With its leaders forming the vanguard, and Professor Kraken protecting the rear flank from any unexpected assault, the hundred-odd souls and like amount of livestock slowly picked their way down from the survey point, and into the deeper heart of the jungle.

Slowly progressing through the area, with the fear of the unknown lending itself to an arguably healthy degree of paranoia among all parties involved, your troupe has been able to take note of several potential hazards in the immediate vicinity. It has been confirmed that a large and unknown species of snake appears to make its home in the trees of this area, with a single specimen having been spotted while you were on the move. It is unclear as to whether or not it is poisonous, but it did not seem to be particularly aggressive, although it did make threatening noises when various members of your entourage ventured too near. Of particular concern was the fact that it had three heads.

Additionally, as you continued to make your way deeper into the jungle, it became clear that the area was literally teeming with insect life (which came as no surprise to essentially everyone). Although most of the vermin appeared to be benign, one species has proven moderately aggressive and somewhat frustrating: about the size of a skeletal finger, with a needle-like protrusion extending from its head. Several members of the fetchling and orc tribes have been harassed by these creatures during the first hour of your journey, as it eagerly and swiftly approached them, implanted its needle-nose into their skin, and extracted a negligible amount of blood. The assault has left a few individuals with minor itchy rashes on their shoulders and forearms, but they appear otherwise unharmed.

Unsurprisingly, this species of insect has shown little interest in assailing the dryads and skeletons. However, curiously, they have also shown essentially no interest in the unicorns, giving them an extremely wide birth. This was first noticed by one of the younger fetchlings, who fled in terror from a group of three of the insects who were about to descend upon him, only to find himself beneath the legs of one of the unicorns, and the three hungry-looking creatures buzzing angrily about a dozen feet away. After observing this phenomena for about ten minutes, the young fetchling has concluded that for some reason this particular species of insect will not approach the unicorns at all, and that there is an apparent ‘safe zone’ around each unicorn. He has informed his tribe of this, and in short order the fetchlings have all taken refuge around the caravan of unicorns. Very quickly thereafter, the orcs have begun to innocently mingle about the fetchlings as well, also partaking of the apparent safety offered by the magical beasts. It begins to get very crowded very quickly when the orcs also begin shuffling in their miscellaneous livestock into the general vicinity of the unicorn procession.

It is unclear exactly why this is happening, but both the orcs and fetchlings have taken it as a sign that the unicorns can protect them from the various unpleasant aspects of the wild in this area, and they are quite thankful for the boon (which they have taken upon themselves to enjoy).

pre:
A protective measure from a natural hazard has been identified by the fetchling tribe!
If they are so willing, the unicorns are able to shield surrounding individuals from ravenous insects.
Due to the large number of creatures with blood, this currently slows your movement speed, however.
Continued travel in this manner will result in a reduction to your speed down to one-half mile per hour.

“The U Formation”:
The fetchlings are appreciative of this idea (no morale penalty while traveling through insects).
The orcs are appreciative of this idea (no morale penalty while traveling through insects).
The unicorns are annoyed with this idea, due to the crowding, and the smell.
(-1 morale penalty per day traveled in this arrangement, after today).
After five hours of wading through the jungle, your persistence has paid off, and a reasonably appropriate location for a base camp has been found! Although your journey has so far not yet revealed anything that would qualify as a river, you have stumbled upon a natural stream that is carving its way through the jungle, predictably making its way to the coast.

The jungle canopy is somewhat sparse here, and the rising sun is now approaching what you believe to be its zenith, shining clearly overhead. It is beginning to get quite humid, but your people are rather glad to have found a source of water. They are looking to you for permission to set up an encampment around this area. The dryads would also like permission to close the canopy with entangling magic, to create various shaded areas from the sun for the livestock. The orcs are beginning to discuss how to best build a fence.

pre:
Points of Interest
Your journey through the jungle has revealed the following additional matters:
   1.   The feathers of what is apparently a very large bird were detected about a mile ago.
        A knowledge (nature) check is required to gain further information.
        A survival check is required to track the beast, if you are so inclined.

2.   While you were following the coast, a cave entrance was visible, jutting out from the rocks.
        The entrance was approximately thirty feet below a sheer cliff, ten feet wide and four feet long.
        It was a sixty foot drop from the cliff to the waters below.
        A difficult climb check will be required to safely reach the cave entrance.
        You could not see or hear anything within.

3.   Along the cliffs, you spotted a clearing several miles to the east.
        It appeared to have a significantly large number of dead trees, seemingly snapped in half.
        It was difficult to gauge what had happened from the distance, but this seemed unusual.
        Closer investigation of the area is needed to gain further information.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Base Camp Zero?
The ritual sacrifice of the chicken is super effective.
...?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Base Camp Zero.
The expert opinion of the dryad leader on all matters related to trees is taken in by various members of the tribes within a close enough distance to overhear your conversation, and there seems to be a general consensus that a home in the canopy would be unwise if it could all come crashing down.

A particularly loud orc (who is, surprisingly, not King Skullguy), chimes into the conversation, suggesting, "Why don't we build shelters underground? A little rainwater and wind can't hurt you if you're ten feet deep with five feet of stone between you and it. A few good tunnels is all that we'd need to ride out a storm anywhere. We could keep our stuff in there as well, so that it would stay dry." Many of the orcs nod in agreement to this sagely wisdom. To everyone's surprise, he follows up his advice with something astoundingly 'better', proclaiming, "Or why don't we just declare these 'hurricane' storms to be evil according to our laws? That way the unicorns will be able to protect us from them. That's how it works." Several of the orcs nod in agreement. A few fetchlings raise their eyebrows and look amongst each other, smirking, but not saying anything.

pre:
The following apparent actions will be executed in my next post (in about 24h), unless otherwise requested:
1.  The leaders are following the stream inland, exploring the area for a more suitable permanent home site.
2.  The dryads are going to weave shut the canopy over the temporary encampment, securing the area from sight.
3.  The orcs are going to set up camp in the stream area, and will do whatever it takes to build a fence.
4.  The skeletons are going to watch over the livestock, and generally serve as sentries.
5.  Various people are likely to do a little bit of fishing.
6.  Pretty much everyone is going to set up their own camp area as they see fit.

Any additional orders to execute while you are away should be noted before the next update.
While you are away exploring, you will be unable to issue or amend any actions that are in the process of execution.

As a heads-up, in order to speed the exploration process I will likely make relevant knowledge and other rolls for you.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Exploring: Following the stream inland.

pre:
Exploration duration: 17 hours
Perception rolls...
24 – Uru’vi
17 – Sieversii
17 – Zoka
12 – Szandra
11 – Skullguy

The efforts of your respective tribes were well underway by the time you set out into the wild unknown of the jungle, and within the span of the hour it took you to reach more elevated ground while following the stream, as you idly looked back to where you believed the encampment to be, it appeared to be all but invisible. The efforts of the dryads to weave shut the canopy was clearly quite effective, and among the leaders a collective sigh of relief was felt to know that, at least for the moment and while at their most vulnerable, your people were likely safe from detection. And in the hands of Professor Kraken, they were likely safe from harm as well.

Traversing through the jungle proves to be a tolerable proposition in this area, and for several hours you follow the stream through the land as it twists and turns, snaking up to higher elevations inch by inch. As time goes by, it becomes clear that you are working your way closer and closer towards the mountains that were originally to the north of you when you arrived on the island earlier in the day, at the survey point overlooking the bay. More tangibly, as you move closer towards the mountains, your elevation also continues to rise, and in due time you find yourself in an area of rocky outcroppings and cliff faces, which stand in stark contrast to the thick and unrelenting jungle through which you have waded.

It is approaching evening by the time that your progress is ultimately impeded, as the cliff faces become too cumbersome to safely ascend with footfalls alone. Although these mountains could be passed, given that the area near the stream appears to contain reasonable amounts of workable natural handholds and footholds, it would be dangerous to do so in the dark, and will also require some small skill at the art of rock climbing. A logical question is also posed as to how to safely transport a unicorn up a cliff. Your current position affords you a much better vantage point of the surrounding area, however, and there are many sights to be seen.

Eyeing the stream as a frame of reference, as it cuts in and out of sight throughout the jungle, it becomes clear to you that to the west there are several miles of raw and apparently untamed jungle. To the southwest you see the beginnings of a peninsula that appears to extend farther into the ocean, although the setting sun makes it difficult to see as far as you would like in that direction. More critically, to the north, southeast, and northwest are mountains as far as the eye can see. From your current vantage point you have a better sense of where the coast of the island lies, being visibly to the south and west. Although there is the risk that there is another coast immediately beyond the mountains to the north, it is just as likely that the area beyond would be sheltered from winds to a reasonable degree, and that somewhere beyond the mountains might lie a suitable location for a more permanent encampment for your respective peoples.

You believe that it might be possible for your small group to scale the mountain, unicorn-hooves notwithstanding, but it would be a difficult proposition indeed to safely traverse these cliffs with the full entourage back at the encampment, and certainly impossible to do so with the wide variety of livestock at your disposal. It would perhaps be possible to navigate around the mountains, although as far as you can see they do not appear to part in any discernable fashion. A higher elevation might afford a better vantage to discern that, but in your current position it remains a mystery how many days or weeks travel might be required to achieve such a feat.

As it begins to grow dark, you are left with a decision: do you make your way back to your tribes in order to report your findings, or will you continue to explore further inland in some manner? Shelter for the evening will likely be easily obtained, as the keen eyes of Sieversii and Zoka have detected a handful of small alcoves and at least one apparent cave entrance within climbing distance that could be used to keep you out of sight and away from the chill of the night.

Uru’vi, for her own part, also notices the alcoves and caves. However, she finds herself distracted by something else: a barely-audible, monotone droning that seems to be hanging in the air. The others do not appear to hear it, perhaps because it is outside the range of frequencies their lesser ears can detect, or perhaps for some other reason. You hadn’t noticed it as you were traversing through the jungle, and really hadn’t even picked up on it as you began to make your way ever so slightly into the mountainous region, but now, in the silence of the night and within the peace and quiet of no longer moving at an arduous pace, it is impossible to miss. Your knowledge of the natural world suggests that there is a slight chance that it might just be due to the pressure change as you followed the stream inland and upwards, or perhaps the same pressure change that comes with moving from one world to another plane entirely. But why, then, would you be the only person who could hear it? And why does it unnerve you ever so slightly? These questions gnaw at the back of your mind, and no clear answers present themselves.

Uru’vi’s thoughts also continue to wander back to the strange insects that the tribes happened upon much earlier in the day, who (thankfully) appear to have lessened in presence as they traveled further inland. It seemed obvious that the vermin were reacting to the natural shell of protection that all unicorns created, which among other things served to ward away creatures of evil bent, and that did not bode well at all. There were certainly ways to shield the various members of the entourage of the other races from harm from the insects, but they were not particularly palatable. It was well known among unicorns that clothing hewn from the sheared mane of a unicorn (or, in a pinch, the sheared fur of their tails) retained small traces of the protective qualities of the creatures themselves, albeit only for a few months at a time. It could absolutely protect the other tribes, but it would come at a cost that the unicorns would likely not appreciate: being sheared for garments was degrading, and not having a mane or a plush tail was simply not stylish. In a race of people with relatively few options for garments and preening, these were big deals, and it would be a significant concession to provide such a thing every two or three months as the magic in the previous season’s garments began to wane. There would also be concerns with sharing this information at all, as it had historically been something that unicorns never mentioned to other races, for fear of this becoming one of an already concerning number of reasons to hunt the majestic creatures.

Waador fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 6, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
In the mountainous foothills...
The conversation between Zoka, Szandra, and Skullguy appears to be gravitating towards a shared opinion: namely, that the evening would best be spent hidden in a nearby cave, out of sight and hopefully out of mind of anything that might prove particularly hostile towards the group of intrepid explorers. Although Sieversii and Uru'vi have not yet offered their input into the plan, it seems likely that a three-to-two vote will have the group heading in that general path. At least, that is the logical explanation that occurs to the three conversationalists with regard to why their dryad and unicorn companions have fallen silent on the matter.

Sieversii...
Among dryads, the call of the natural world is a pervasive thing, permeating every aspect of the awareness of any given specimen of the species. Like sight and sound for a humanoid, or the keen and supernatural senses of other creatures, the song of the forest (or, in this case, the jungle) swirls around Sieversii like a tangible, observable thing. While you were traveling through the jungle, it had been business as usual: although common plants are not particularly intelligent, they are quite communicative when given the chance, and much information had been gathered during the journey. You learned during your trek that the last major storm did indeed wreak havoc upon the area through which you have traveled, and that it is generally a seasonal occurrence, confirming your fears that the area in which you have landed would be a dangerous proposition at best for a settlement. You have also endured a great curiosity from many of the older plants - mostly, the trees - with regard to your nature, and that of your traveling companions. Their specific commentary has led you to believe that fey creatures such as dryads and unicorns are a new experience for the plants in this area, and they have expressed a general approval of your 'leaf-scent'.

The vegetation consensus received from the surrounding area, as you slowly progress into the mountain foothills, however, is confusing. Although sparse, some trees and a fair deal of shrubbery cling to the low hills and rocky walls of the area, and they are all but ignoring your presence. This is unusual in and of itself, as plants - being stationary creatures - are remarkably social when someone comes to 'visit' them, and they often excitedly greet a newcomer of any race or species before realizing the creature can't hear or understand them. However, of deeper concern is what they are saying: absolutely nothing. Although these plants appear perfectly healthy in all observable respects, it is as if they are and are not there, simultaneously. Rare indeed is it for so many plants to be so silent, and it is an experience that you have never, ever witnessed.

It is only belatedly that you realize your companions have been discussing something. Likely something entirely unimportant, in contrast.

Uru'vi...
As your group continues to press further into the mountainous foothills bordering the jungle, the unsettling droning that was once only on the periphery of your hearing begins to magnify in intensity, until it is all but impossible to ignore. Whatever it is, you surmise that you are nearing closer to its source, for it has ceased to be a barely discerned 'buzz' and is now a much clearer sound: amidst a background noise of difficult to describe static, every thirty to forty seconds there is a clear bass-pitched hum which seems to issue forth from everywhere and nowhere, as if a hundred voices were singing in unison. Deep voices, at that. The sound grows in a second from hardly noticeable to as loud as a clarion call, and then fades as quickly as it came, reverting back only to the white noise seemingly permeating this area. Without fail, within the next minute the process repeats, over and over and over again.

It is only belatedly, amidst the recurrence of this hypnotic sound, that you realize your companions have been discussing something. Likely something entirely unimportant, in contrast.

Waador fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 12, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Uru'vi's scouring of the area with an evil-detecting gaze does not reveal anything out of the ordinary. Entirely not to her surprise, Szandra is lit up like a plague-green and nightmare-purple holiday tree, but other than that the area remains essentially devoid of the tangible presence of evil. It is possible that whatever is happening here is not innately wrong, or that the foul source of the sound is merely removed a bit further than the range at which her sight can detect such things.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Muttering her incantation, Szandra's vision slowly shifts into the arcane spectrum, and she is quickly assailed by a number of surprising sights. Within the sixty-foot cone afforded by the cantrip, it becomes clear that essentially all of the plants in this sparse and rocky area are infused with some form of apparent magical essence, although it does not appear to correspond to any school the skeleton is familiar with. Looking back to the jungle threshold which the group has recently crossed, the effect - whatever it is - does not appear to spread into the life-filled area.

Each plant appears to be radiating an aura that shares some of the telltale traits of a conjuration spell, but is obviously not of that particular school: its color is all wrong, for one thing. This particular effect is best described as something of a hybrid between what you know should be the hues of a conjuration spell and a transmutation effect. Such a color would normally be seen on the fringes of an object that had been laced with two separate spells of the appropriate schools, where the effects intersected, but that is not the case in this particular instance: rather than a solid green for the transmutation school, and a solid orange for the conjuration school, with a faint line of tan brown at the point of convergence between the two effects, the plants are suffused with a tan-hued energy throughout: something that should essentially be impossible to achieve. More strangely, while a magical aura normally pulses and flickers, like the embers of a fire, it is as if these plants have been painted over with their aura, which is dull and steady. Whatever this effect is, it is unusual to say the least.

A few moments pass, and as Szandra continues to focus her attention on the spell, a second curiosity emerges: amid the rocky walls of the area, the faded outline of a previously invisible arcane mark catches her eye, just barely at the range of her spell effect: a curiously shaped symbol not entirely dissimilar to an eye. Its iris appears to contain a few symbols illegible from your current distance, and would likely require closer inspection to read given the diminutive size of the marking.

Finally, and only for the briefest of moments, a wave of energy washes out the entirety of everything else you are seeing in this area. The meager aura of the arcane mark is overwhelmed entirely, and the strange dull auras of the plants in the nearby area fade to a barely visible state as an omnidirectional pulse of blue energy - the obvious sign of an abjuration - rises from the ground upon which you are standing, ascending in forked tendrils to a height of twenty or perhaps thirty feet. Reflecting on the sight, it strikes you as reminiscent of the visual effect of chain lightning, though obviously only in appearance rather than in effect. It appears to have occurred everywhere around you for at least sixty feet in the direction you were facing at the time, and sure enough, after another minute passes it happens again. Exactly what is happening here is...questionable, though with a bit of time to study it you might be able to make some sense of the matter.

pre:
A spellcraft or knowledge (arcana) roll may reveal further information.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
pre:
Spellcraft rolls...
19 – Szandra
Szandra's initial observations of the various effects permeating the area do not reveal any concrete evidence or afford any justified conclusions one way or another. A few minutes of observing the plants in the surrounding area continues to support her initial suspicions, in that the effect impacting the vegetation appears to be some kind of hybrid school of magic, combining elements of both the transmutation and conjuration schools. The solidity of the aura remains somewhat confounding, however, preventing her from solving for its effects through the measurement of its arcane derivative. The distraction presented by the every-minute-or-so blue-shift of the area as the apparently powerful abjuration effect seeps out of the ground and into the air complicates a detailed analysis even further.

At present, the other members of your entourage remain in the area, though you have only just requested they heed your words and retreat from the unknown auras of this place. As a result, little has changed from your preliminary observations of the area and its behavior.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Backing away. Ever so quickly.
pre:
Spellcraft rolls...
24 – Szandra
Heeding the timeless wisdom of a skeleton, Uru'vi trots outside of the apparent area of effect of whatever spell, curse, or similar horrible abomination of magic is occurring in the immediate vicinity. In doing so, the unicorn is treated to the small blessing of a clear and obvious reduction in the intensity and frequency of the headache-inducing sound that had been plaguing her awareness. Whatever the cause of the effect had been, it appears to have ceased - at least for now.

With Szandra and Sieversii in tow, and Skullguy and Zoka looking on in confusion, a curious thing happens before the all-seeing eyes of Szandra: from her revised vantage point, the repeated bursts of abjurative energy fade away entirely, and cease to writhe forth from the ground like so many blue tentacles. Your current location no longer affords you the range necessary to observe the minute arcane mark you had previously detected, and the plants still within your range continue to contain a dull and difficult-to-understand tan-brown aura, but these lesser effects presently do not occupy your mind as much as the hole in the scene left by the missing abjuration.

Meditating upon the matter for several minutes, the arcane knowledge suffusing (and, in truth, powering) Szandra's mind pulls a few facts together, although in context they make little sense. There appears to have been an obvious cause-and-effect between the abjuration energies that were exploding all around them, and the presence of the group of five explorers. Moreover, it is a well-known piece of trivia among magi that, if one abjuration spell is active within some distance of another, the magical fields will interfere with each other and create visible energy fluctuations. However, normally such effects require three elements: two abjuration effects bordering each other, a proximity of 10 feet or less, and a continuous proximity of at least 24 hours. And even when exposed to such things, the normal result is only a barely-visible fluctuation, not mystical chain lightning pluming from sky to ground and back again.

By Szandra's estimation, it was clear that at least one abjuration effect had been introduced into the area: the natural aura of protection exuded by the unicorn herself, which could not be tempered even by the creature herself. It was possible, if inexplicable, that this effect was causing a reaction to something else in the area. But her arcane vision did not reveal any source of abjuration within sight either on the ground or in the air surrounding the area, so by all logic there was nothing that the unicorn's aura should have interacted with to generate such abjurative friction. And, certainly, they hadn't been in the area for over a day, so any reaction at all should have been impossible, let alone one with the strength of what had been observed. Still, the effects observed were mildly consistent with some of the defined rules of magic of which the skeleton was aware, so warranted some additional consideration.

A concerning thought occurred to Szandra in this moment: between the casually observed and utterly impossible 'hybrid' of the conjuration and transmutation schools present within the plants in the area, and the completely inexplicable timing and strength of the reaction of the abjuration, it was possible that the laws of magic in this new plane were different from those which she had studied and mastered in her homeland. If that were the case, the ramifications could be...significant. If difficult to foresee.

Waador fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 13, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
There is, in fact, no evidence to suggest that anybody or anything has been eaten by chupacabras within the general vicinity.
Yet.

Waador fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 13, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
pre:
Knowledge: arcana rolls...
15 - Szandra
12 - Skullguy
Szandra...
You are quite pleased with yourself, having convinced the orc to investigate the potentially ruinous symbol, while you safely observe from afar. As you continue to think upon the issues at hand, and reflect on the activity you have observed thus far, a few things stick out in your mind as not making a whole lot of sense about this situation. First and foremost is the lack of an apparent abjuration for the unicorn's own warding to have interacted with. Secondly, and equally oddly, is the manner in which the reaction occurred: it essentially boiled out of the ground, and seeped into the air above you, and it did so much faster than known interactions between abjurations should have allowed.

You are fairly learned in the ways of magic, but the specifics of this situation are beyond your current knowledge base. However, you know enough to know when you are out of your depth: so you avoid making wild suppositions on the matter, and instead go back to the basics, which you are certain you do understand (assuming the laws of magic function as you know them, at least). You observed this reaction through the use of a simple cantrip to detect magical effects. The limits of that spell, as you well know, enable it to penetrate barriers, inclusive of up to one foot of stone, one inch of metal, a thin sheet of lead, or up to three feet of wood and dirt. You can clearly observe the ground from your position slightly removed from the area you believe to be potentially dangerous, and it is clear that there is no abjuration magic radiating from the ground. As a result, it is markedly strange that the ground would be the apparent source of an abjurant reaction, when it isn't suffused with that magic in any noticeable fashion.

Your conclusion, as less-than-helpful as it may be, is simple: at least two abjurations were obviously interacting with each other. One is accounted for, in the unicorn. The other is not accounted for, but does not appear to be coming from the general area, as there is no apparent source of such magic in the sky, the ground, or the general surface vicinity of the mountainous foothills within your sight. This seems to suggest that, somehow, the unicorn's warding was reaching - and interacting with - something in the general area. However, this makes no sense, as the unicorn's abjuration should be limited to line of effect, which is an even more stringent limitation than the barrier-penetrating gaze currently afforded to you by your divining eyes.

pre:
21 - Intelligence
 3 - Wisdom
As you consider the matter further, you come to the realization that the unicorn could perhaps be convinced to slowly move about the area, and utilized as a makeshift compass in order to determine the boundaries or approximate location of the source of the abjuration that she was previously generating a reaction against. It does not occur to you that she might not appreciate what an honor it would be to play such a useful role in such an experiment.

Skullguy...
You think to yourself, "Whatever, these guys are terrified of a little 'arcane mark'?" Whatever that is. (Spellcraft 6) It's time to man up, and show them why orcs are the best and how they have a lot to learn about living life to the fullest, including a night course on not being a coward. You march straight up to the symbol and stare it right in the eye, essentially daring it to do something to you. Because that's how leadership works.

In so doing, you notice something that Szandra perhaps missed, or neglected to mention: a multitude of strange characters contained within the iris of the symbol. Unsurprisingly, they are in a language you do not understand, given that you only speak orc, goblin, and the common tongue of a different planet.

pre:
17 - Intelligence
12 - Wisdom
The symbols are arranged and colored in a conspicuous pattern, however: in two columns of three symbols each, with the smallest on the top left, and the largest on the bottom right. It feels as if the way they are written is meant to convey intensity, perhaps when spoken aloud? The first symbol is red. The second symbol is orange. The third symbol is yellow. The fourth symbol is green. The fifth symbol is blue. The sixth symbol is indigo. They are all present within a deep violet iris, within the otherwise barren rock upon which the hexagonal eye is inscribed. This seems obviously important to you, although exactly why or how is a bit of a mystery.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Although it is unclear where this is a case of great fortune, or terrible misfortune, as Skullguy slings not one, not two, but three spells into the eye that taunts him with its mysteries...

Nothing happens.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Szandra...
pre:
Spellcraft rolls...
18 - Szandra

Wisdom rolls...
 2 - Szandra
Several minutes pass as Szandra readies the divination within her mind, during which time the night air begins to grow chill, and the final remnants of dusk fade away into deepest night. When the spell is readied, she approaches the arcane mark that Skullguy had been assailing with magic, and is able to determine the meaning of the symbols: they were, in fact, not another language (per se), but the symbols representative of particular spells. She finds it particularly amusing, or perhaps concerning, that Skullguy interpreted this to be 'weird writing', rather than the common symbols for what are several widely known spells. Perhaps he is a self-taught magic user, though. Or unable to read? Specifically, the symbols represent what you know to be the following incantations:
pre:
1.  Shatter.                 4.  Break.
2.   Wall of stone.          5.   Symbol of sealing.
3.    Sleep.                 6.    Dazzling blade.

The symbols are arranged within the iris as follows, in the colors and sizes previously denoted:
 1    4
  2    5
   3    6
Although your divination has enabled you to discern the names of these several spells, your immediate recollection of their specific mechanics is limited only to the weaker ones, up to and including the third sphere of power. This leaves a bit of information to be desired on the nature of both the wall of stone and symbol of sealing spells referred to in the rock. Furthermore, it remains unclear as to why the symbols have been hidden in minute detail on an invisible arcane mark in the middle of nowhere. Is it a recipe? Or perhaps the combination to an arcane lock? If the latter, you know you don't have the power to cast many of these spells, which would make this a rather annoying discovery. It could, frankly, just be the symbol of a cult or order, as Skullguy has suggested, which would similarly make it entirely irrelevant and more than a little disappointing.

Zoka...
pre:
Perception rolls...
20 - Zoka
The sun has fully set now, and your eyes begin to adjust to the spectrum of your darkvision. The area remains doused in a limited bit of light, from the stars and pale red moon of this new home of yours, however. Your natural resistance to cold has enabled you to shrug off, and in truth barely even feel the biting chill of the night's air, though you wonder how the others among your group will fare without a campfire. Except the skeleton, you suppose. You observe the area vigilantly, scanning your surroundings for threats, movement, or anything even remotely suspicious. Soon enough, the quiet of the night gives way to a sense of security, however, and you find yourself observing the jungle canopy for birds and other wildlife. You find that you are unable to recognize the calls of the birds that you hear emanating from the jungle, though most of them sound rather harmless - or, at least, of a size that should be harmless. Which is comforting, mostly.

As you take in your surroundings with your ears, you find your eyes wandering to the sky, and you notice how strangely cloudless the night's air is. It is then that you see it - or, at least, think that you see it. Detectable only by the occlusion of light that it caused, a massive form quickly flitted across the surface of the moon. The size of a house, at least. No sound accompanied it, and it vanished as quickly as it came. Was it even there? You question yourself quickly on the matter, though you are sure of yourself, and surer still that it was no cloud. Something massive soars the skies this night, of that you are certain. Something massive, and quiet as a stalking tiger.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
To his surprise, King Skullguy does not appear to recall any information relevant to this situation.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Sieversii...
The attunement of the dryad to the language of the natural world proves invaluable during her investigation of the strange plant-based phenomenon. Moving about the area, the first interesting thing she notes is that the jungle from which they emerged is not entirely clean of the effect: specifically, a few smaller plants on the fringes where the jungle meets the rocky foothills appear to exhibit the same traits as those plants within the foothills, although most specimens have long since been obscured from sight by vegetation that has grown outwards from deeper within the jungle. That overgrowth appears to have served to mask the strange aura of the effected plants from line of sight, as well. More strangely, following the lines of effected plants on the jungle's edge, Sieversii notes that it appears to be an all-or-nothing occurrence: no plant is partially effected by the strange malady, but either overtaken completely or spared entirely, seemingly at random.

Wandering deeper into the mountainous foothills, albeit still well within line of sight and the range of a direct charge-to-aid from her companions should trouble arise, Sieversii discovers two additional oddities: at a certain point, the plants in the foothills again begin to teem with the sound of life, perhaps two hundred paces from the jungle fringe. More curiously - and concerningly - however, is something that the dryad almost overlooked, but caught on a second pass with her keen eyes and focused observations of the area: a small insect that appears to be akin to the aphid species the dryad was familiar with from her homeland. The creature appears to have attached itself to a silent plant, and is just...frozen there. It is clearly not dead, in the sense that it is not rotting, or undergoing any dessication. However, it is also clearly not alive, in that it is not breathing, moving, or even responding to the stimulus that should be afforded it by the slight breeze in the area. By all appearances, the insect bit into the sap of the plant, and shortly thereafter it appears to have succumbed to this strange state of being.

Surveying the area in painstaking detail, the dryad ultimately convinces herself that the area of effect of...whatever...is happening here is a radius of somewhere between one-hundred and one-hundred-and-fifty feet, with the exact range difficult to discern given the lack of dense vegetation to gauge boundaries. It appears to be centered close to the arcane mark that the group has previously detected, though not necessarily directly on top of the marking as much as 'nearby'. Again, unfortunately, exact derivation of the point of origin becomes difficult without sufficient plants to mark the edges of the effect.

These findings leave the dryad to wonder, are these plants truly fake? Perhaps the ones in the foothills are, but the ones on the fringe of the jungle are identical to those living, breathing plants nearby: although they possess the strange trait of silence. The insect, too, is curious, and leaves the dryad to wonder if this might be might be some sort of communicable disease, transferable between plants and insects. Which is a terrifying thought, albeit an unproven one.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 22, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Skullguy spends a few moments looking over the plants in the general vicinity, and does not take note of any signs that the plants would not be edible. They appear to be healthy-looking, and are clearly getting enough sunshine. As the plants in this area are new to you, it is difficult to say with any degree of certainty whether they are safe to eat, which is a little bit different from 'edible', but they do not appear to have any of the tell-tale signs of highly poisonous plants. Such as little berries with skulls on them. (Some of these ones have little berries with no informative symbols on them, though.)

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
The tribal leaders look on in varying degrees of concern, interest, and horror as King Skullguy announces - and then proceeds to act upon - his intent to consume the plants in the general vicinity.

pre:
If you are so inclined, some of you may act as this begins to happen:
Sieversii - Initiative 30: Sagely advice!
One standard and one move action before Skullguy eats a plant.  (He's reaching for it.)

Uru'vi    - Initiative 19:
One standard or one move action before Skullguy eats a plant.  (It's in his hands.)

Skullguy  - Initiative 13:
Eating some seriously delicious plants.

Szandra   - Initiative 13:
One standard or one move action as Skullguy is eating a plant.  (It's in his mouth.)

Zoka      - Initiative 7: Letting natural selection take its course!
One standard or one move action after this has all gone down.

You don't have to act, but you have the option.
I will post an update by this time tomorrow Thursday night because I tried to fly and it was awful on Wednesday night.

Waador fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 28, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Everyone...
As his fellow tribal leaders look on with a mixture of concern, amusement, and interest in their faces, King Skullguy bravely tears several plants from the ground with his bare hands. Sieversii and Zoka offer some words of wisdom and encouragement, respectively, as Skullguy bites off a chunk of what appears to be a perfectly healthy and delicious-looking leafy green shrub growing out of a crack in the side of the outcroppings of rock that accentuate the area.

To everyone's relief, the orc does not fall dead after the first bite, appearing to enjoy the meal in all relevant ways.

King Skullguy...
When you first bite into the plant, it is like tasting the essence of cuisine itself. Impeccably fresh, whatever plant you have started to eat sets your taste buds on fire with delight. As you bite through the leaf and into the stem, you appreciate in great detail that it is minty, and sugary, and thick and gooey and amazing in all the right ways. A part of you wishes that you had never tasted such a thing, for the fear that you may never experience such extravagance again in your lifetime. Your first bite goes down smoothly and readily, and it is only belatedly, after a few more mouthfuls of this wonder-plant, that you begin to notice the tingling at the back of your throat.

You pause for a moment to consider the significance of this feeling, only to be distracted by a more pressing matter: a burning sensation in your stomach. The feeling quickly grows from a dull ache to something that can best be described as 'What you think it would feel like if you ate a handful of fire ants after insulting their queen. Possibly through the use of magic to convey the insult with a great degree of accuracy and seriousness. Such as a speak with vermin spell, somehow augmented with true strike, but for insults instead of arrows.'

At this juncture, you are torn internally: probably literally, but in this sense figuratively. On one hand, this is the most delicious thing you have ever tasted. But, on the other, it really, really hurts. You're pretty sure this might kill you if you keep eating it. But you would die happy, reveling in the exquisite taste. So there's that.

Everyone...
The other shoe drops quickly enough. Skullguy barely finishes half of the first plant that he tears from the ground before he begins to cough and wheeze, as if something went down the wrong hole. Or maybe the plant was just surprisingly spicy, like some kind of secret jungle jalapeno upon which you could form the basis of a great trading empire, as well as reams and reams of societal customs and security measures to guard the secret of its origins. He doesn't stop coughing, though. So it probably isn't that sort-of-good thing as much as it is a dangerous thing.

pre:
Skullguy:    24 / 25 HP
  King Skullguy does not feel particularly well.
  He is currently taking 1 point of damage per round, as his throat and stomach throb in pain.

Perception rolls...
21 - Sieversii
20 - Uru'vi
12 - Zoka
11 - Szandra
Sieversii...
Carefully observing the orc as he bites into the plants, the dryad notices a peculiar thing: as he bites into the stem of the plant, tears it open and begins to suck the sap down his gullet, you catch a glimpse of what is inside. In keeping with your expectations, the sap was clearly thick and gooey. However, it shimmered like silver when you first saw it, although as he chewed and swallowed it appeared to turn transparent, only to glint like silver again just as it disappeared down his throat. That is, as far as your expertise in the area of plants informs you, not normal.

Uru'vi...
Although you were not particularly watching the beastly orc as he executed his absurd plan to solve the potentially dangerous mystery of the area by eating some of the evidence, your keen sense of smell couldn't help but detect the strangest of sensations as he bit into the meal: as if every scent in all the world had been exposed to the air for the briefest of moments, before fading away again. And then it returned in overwhelming glory, as he chewed his meal and took another bite. And then again, in a powerful burst of a billion scents at once, each merging together like a beautiful work of unseen art in the air around you, only to fade away again as the orc began to cough and wheeze and - by all apperances - generally began to die.

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 29, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
While Sieversii begins to collect deadwood for a natural solution to the problem, Uru'vi trots up to the orc and graces him with the touch of her horn: and its powerful healing abilities. As her horn begins to glow and briefly douses the area in a bright white light, Uru'vi finds it very surprising that the obviously strong dose of magic that she just infused into the orc appears to have had no effect. Quite knowledgeable about her own capabilities, the unicorn is certain that the neutralization effect should have cancelled out even the most powerful of toxins, which leads her to believe that whatever is plaguing the orc is not a poisonous substance.

Meanwhile, King Skullguy doesn't appear to appreciate the distinction between poisons, acids, and everything in between. His stomach continues to ache with pain and the coughing worsens, making it difficult for him to speak as his throat continues to tingle and his tongue begins to go a bit numb.

pre:
Uru'vi has used neutralize poison on King Skullguy to no effect.
As a result, Uru'vi is certain that whatever King Skullguy has eaten, it is not a poisonous substance.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
pre:
Zoka's stomach punch strikes true on a 27 to hit.
The surgical precision of his strike deals 11 subdual damage to King Skullguy.
Leaping to his comrade's aid with not even the slightest concern to his own personal safety, the heroic Zoka delivers an incredibly strong punch to King Skullguy's stomach. Although he cries out in pain, this proves to be rather beneficial to Skullguy, who was already in the process of coughing and wheezing up his insides before the additional force of the blow helped things along. In a loud (and disgusting) moment, as Zoka's strike collapses his stomach inward (and upward, if you happened to be watching from the inside) Skullguy's choking escalates to projectile vomiting, and remains in that state for a few seconds.

The aftermath of this situation is - predictably - awful. The air is foul with whatever happened to be in Skullguy's stomach, which apart from the plants he just ate also seems to include some partially digested chicken, and a few things impossible to discern in their gross, gooey state. Remarkably, after his stomach contents have been emptied, Skullguy appears to feel perfectly fine: the tingling in his throat has gone away, his tongue is no longer numb, and the throbbing pain that was previously dominating his stomach has now faded to a mild discomfort.

pre:
Perception checks...
30 - Sieversii
30 - Uru'vi
26 - Zoka
11 - Szandra
 4 - Skullguy
Sieversii, Uru'vi, and Zoka...
The same thing catches each of your eyes, essentially in unison. Although you were trying not to look at it, given how disgusting it is, something was moving in the spray of vomit that Skullguy just provided to the area. Droplets of a strange, silvery liquid appear to be coalescing within the vomit, and moving towards each other, slowly but surely. It is a fascinating sight, not only for the fact that this strange material is moving of its own accord, but also that it appears to be fading in and out of view: one moment, it is shimmering like pure silver, and the next it is entirely transparent, and barely visible at all.

In no time at all, the strange substance is well underway in a process of pulling itself 'together' into a tiny ball, which is just kind of ...cradled... in the rest of the vomit. However, for reasons unknown, it suddenly begins to steam and sizzle, evaporating before your very eyes. In less than a second, there is nothing remaining of this strange substance, which you can only conclude must be associated with Skullguy's violent reaction to his meal.

pre:
   Skullguy:    23 / 25 HP (actual)
   Skullguy:    12 / 25 HP (subdual)
   King Skullguy feels much better!
   Whatever had taken hold of him is no longer causing ongoing damage.

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 1, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
With King Skullguy's life no longer in any apparent danger, Zoka and Sieversii begin to discuss the merits of a camp in the jungle for the evening, relative to one in a cave. Before the conversation is taken far enough into one direction or another for the group to reach a consensus, however, the most adorable thing happens: a purple-furred, hand-sized kitten startlingly leaps through the air, seemingly coming from atop one of the rocky ledges in the area. He (or she) rolls and tumbles through the air, completing an impressive forty-foot leap, and landing in the general vicinity of Skullguy, Zoka, and Uru'vi.

Apparently, your presence has attracted the curiosity of a local inhabitant. It sniffs Uru'vi's front-left hoof tentatively, before looking up at the unicorn with wide, innocent eyes, letting out an adorable "mew?", and rolling over to expose its belly.

It is at this time that you notice it has some kind of strange deformity behind its neck: two tiny protrusions about one-quarter the length of its paws. And also, apparently, six legs.

pre:
Knowledge rolls...
23 - Skullguy
18 - Szandra

Wisdom rolls...
6 - Szandra
4 - Skullguy
Szandra and Skullguy...
You immediately recognize the creature as a very young displacer beast. It's pretty cute, and you both entertain - at least for a moment - the idea of claiming it as a pet. You know that one day it will grow to be big and strong and would make an excellent battle companion, if you can somehow tame it.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inspecting the mewcomer...
Giving the cat-like creature a thorough assessment with her extremely discerning nose, Uru'vi detects traces of somewhere around seven other creatures that it has clearly spent a fair deal of time in close proximity with. Each scent is relatively similar, but distinct enough to very likely be a different creature: perhaps indicating a litter or pack.

pre:
Ration appreciation:  -15%
Meanwhile, Skullguy offers the little creature some of his rations, which the kitten inquisitively sniffs before dismissing entirely. Furrowing its brow and scrunching up its nose, it appears decidedly displeased with the offering.

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 6, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
As King Skullguy and Uru'vi get into a heated conversation about politics, the palm-sized kitten begins to inspect this new and exciting gift from his apparent orcish benefactor. The beast is clearly intelligent, and quite agile, using the suction-cup suckers on its ...deformed shoulder tentacle things... to unstopper the vial.

pre:
Potion appreciation:  96%
Although it is unclear whether he is an orcish savant or merely an orc, Skullguy appears to have hit the nail on the head on this one. As he begins his tirade about how a king becomes a king, the little kitten quickly and happily laps up the potion, growing visibly in size (if only a little) as the potion's magic imbues it with great fortitude. Emboldened by this new feeling of power, the beast leaps with its powerful hind legs several feet into the air...and safely perches itself atop King Skullguy's shoulder, nudging his neck playfully with its head. You appear to have made a friend.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Sieversii begins to search for an appropriate tree to use as a refuge for the evening, and comes up with no real 'close' options. The jungle gives way to hills and rocky ledges rather suddenly in the nearby area, and it is only a bit further in that the barely-there alcoves in the rock walls give way to what one could technically define as a cave. However, Sieversii knows that at least some of her defensive capabilities - such as her ability to manipulate plants into an entangling mess - have an exceptional range of about six hundred and forty feet, so even at a distance she would be able to partially assist any cave-dwellers if something were to go awry.

After exploring a number of trees to assess their visibility, the dryad identifies an area that has a good line of sight to the cave in the distance, approximately six hundred feet away (when measured at ground level). The view around the cave entrance is partially concealed by a rock overhang and series of hills that might make it possible for a creature to sneak into the area unnoticed from the vantage point in the tree, but with careful attention paid to the area that risk could likely be mitigated.

pre:
Distance from trees to cave:  604 feet
Tree height:  95 feet
Visibility of cave from trees:  57%
Meanwhile, the displacer kitten attaches one of its suction-cup tentacles to the back of Skullguy's head, and playfully uses that to swing from his left shoulder to his right forearm, crawling up it excitedly. It is largely unclear if the creature recognizes Skullguy as a friend, or as some kind of mobile cat tree. Maybe a little bit of both.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zoka, Uru'vi, and Szandra...
As the group debates the proper course of action with varying degrees of acidity in their tone, Skullguy decides to lead by example and begins to march into the cave that had been proposed as one possible location in which to rest. Several hundred feet from the tree line, Skullguy scrambles over rocks and shrubbery with barely a care in the world, with his new 'friend' still climbing about him in a relatively inquisitive way. As the orc ascends the ten-foot slope of rock that leads into the cave entrance and disappears from the view of those who remained behind, one can't help but wonder whether the orc tribe is aware just how wise their leader is, and how lucky they are to have him.

Inside a cave...
Skullguy...
You step foot into the cave and promptly lay down your bedroll. The entrance to the cave is relatively unexciting, and the limits of your darkvision do not reveal any apparent dangers. Your kitten friend, likewise, appears to be rather calm and collected with the change of scenery. As you infuse yourself with the power of your hex, and pull the covers of your bedroll up to keep you warm during your nap, your last thoughts are of the kitten perched atop your stomach, affectionately kneading its claws in your clothing.

Literally inside a tree.
Sieversii...
While inside, you note that the interior of the tree is more than wide enough to house your form, and provides ample vantage points to oversee the general area throughout the course of the night. You are confident that you will be safe inside the tree from all but the most perceptive of assailants, although you can't necessarily say the same for the other members of the group. Still, your entangling abilities are far more reliable in the overgrowth of the jungle, and would require significantly more creativity to function effectively near the cave, and a fair deal of luck within the cave, so from your perspective staying as near to the jungle as possible remains the obviously superior choice from a defensive perspective. The others do have a point about angry jungle cats, though, so perhaps there is merit to everybody's opinion.

pre:
Those other than Skullguy may wish to be clear as to what they are doing while he takes his nap.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 9, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 1...
Inside a cave...
King Skullguy...
The power of your hex courses through your body, quickly inducing you to a state of deep sleep. You awaken after what feels to have been hours - perhaps even days. Your throat is parched, your muscles ache, and an intense pain throbs in the back of your head. You begin to wonder what has gone awry with your hex, but quickly realize you might have a more pressing concern: you are just now noticing that you appear to have been awakened by an armored boot, which is callously pressing down on your stomach. As your wits return to you after being so rudely awakened, your gaze instinctively follows the boot upwards, revealing a mountain of a man standing atop you, covered in plate mail from head to toe. His armor is seemingly crafted out of the hide of a red dragon (or perhaps some similar scaled beast), and at his back is a strange 'wheel' comprised entirely of blades without hilts, each twice your height in their length, as if they were made for some kind of giant.

His humanoid frame seems like it should be incapable of bearing the weight of such a burden, but he appears to be carrying the load of the heavy armor and what appears to be more than a dozen giant-sized greatswords without any difficulty whatsoever. His eyes burn with tiny points of silver fire from beneath a mask that otherwise obscures his actual features, replacing them with that of a horse's head. A strangely shaped fist-sized gem rests in the center of his helmet, and an insignia that you have not seen before is inscribed upon the shoulder of his armor: a flaming longsword atop a checkerboard pattern of red and silver. In a thunderous voice that booms throughout the cave and echoes in your mind several times, he bellows at you, "Who are you to come to this place, little green creature? You are no ally of the knight or the tower, by your markings or by your thoughts. Yet you are seemingly no enemy either, by the same. Declare yourself."

You are left wondering - rather pressingly - just what the gently caress this is.

This person or creature is currently restricting your movement with a thousand-pound boot atop your chest, but you might be able to wrest yourself from his one-footed grapple if you tried.

The group is having a healthy discussion about possibly leaving Skullguy behind - an admittedly reasonable discussion - when more than a few things go wrong at more or less the same moment. In the general vicinity of where that invisible arcane mark was, there is suddenly a bright flash of yellow light, which draws your attention either at that point or the moment shortly thereafter when it is followed by a thunderclap. A crystalline thing which Szandra recognizes as bearing on each of its hundreds of facets the yellow 'sleep' symbol previously identified as being inscribed in the arcane mark - about the size of a fist, has oozed out of the rocks in that area and floats silently in midair, glowing (and crackling) with an obvious arcane energy, and emitting a steady if slightly pulsing yellow light.

It hovers in place where it appeared, about two hundred feet from your location closer towards the forest line where you've been having your conversation, seeming a little ominous but not taking any immediately hostile actions towards you. It is unclear exactly what has caused this to happen, as none of you were providing stimuli to the area at the time.

pre:
Perception rolls...
33 - Sieversii
20 - Uru'vi
19 - Zoka
17 - Szandra

vs. Stealth roll...
28 - Murderbeast
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the dryad is able to see the forest for the trees. In this case, the trees being the distracting thunderclap-inducing glowing crystalline entity, and the forest being a separate and imminent problem in a stance that seems set to execute a pounce from about one hundred feet away, northwards and pointed pretty much directly at Uru'vi. It doesn't take a genius to recognize this creature as the apparent parent (or perhaps just a relative) of Skullguy's recently adopted pet.

pre:
Surprise round:  Sieversii gets to act.
Battle map coming after you decide what you want to do.
  The displacer beast is 100' to your northwest in the jungle growth.
    It is poised to pounce, in about two or three seconds by your assessment.
  The crystalline entity is 200' to your east in the mountainous foothills.
    It is unclear what objective or action this creature is about to take.

Initiative rolls thereafter are...
26 - Crystalline Entity
13 - Murderbeast
12 - Sieversii
10 - Zoka
 9 - Uru'vi
 7 - Szandra

Skullguy - do whatever you want whenever you want.

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 12, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 1 (continued)...
Murderbeast...
pre:
Reflex save...
13 - Murderbeast
Sieversii's cat-like reflexes enable her to react almost instantaneously to the danger of the situation, protecting Uru'vi and the rest of the group - rather ironically - from a cat-like creature with apparently less developed reflexes. Approximately one hundred feet to your northwest, with a dismissive wave of her hand, a veritable cloud of vegetation begins to seal over and obscure an area approximately eighty feet wide. Zoka, Szandra, and Uru'vi, who had previously not even been aware of this threat, are now alerted to it rather handily as it looses an angered roar that echoes as it bounces against the rock walls of the mountainous foothills.

Barely visible in the dim light of the moon and stars, the creature is clearly being restrained by at least a dozen vines that have quickly wrapped around its six legs, the tentacles upon its back, and around its neck and torso as well. The beast writhes and squirms as cats are wont to do when trapped, trying to wrench itself free from these unjust bonds:

pre:
Strength check...
19 - Murderbeast (move action)
The corded muscles of the creature's limbs are in full effect at this moment, and you find yourselves wondering at the raw power required to literally snap clearly healthy vines in half, which is exactly what the creature is doing. Within only a few moments, the vines that had been entangling the beast and keeping it contained are shredded to tatters, and only a few moments thereafter the creature leaps through the air as it looses another terrifying roar.

pre:
Jump check...
28 - Murderbeast
The beast dashes twenty feet forward from the entangled area, getting a running start before using its powerful hind legs to execute an immensely powerful-looking leap. It is now mid-air, in the process of executing that leap, and what appears to be about seven hundred pounds of muscle and teeth is on collision course with Uru'vi.

pre:
Murderbeast, standard action:
  - 20' movement, transitioning into a long jump.
  - Jump check succeeds, enabling 40' of total movement this round.
  - Remaining distance to party is 60', northwest from your location.
  - This thing is in mid-air and hurtling at blinding speed toward Uru'vi.
Crystalline entity...
Meanwhile, the crystalline entity appears to have been watching the spectacle. As the entangling magic initially subdues the dangerous jungle-cat, those still paying attention to this smaller curiosity would note that it merely hovered in mid-air, perhaps getting its bearings or awaiting some sort of command. After the roar of the jungle-cat echoed throughout the area, however, it began to react, gliding surprisingly quickly through the area and moving about one-hundred and twenty feet closer towards both the party and the displacer beast.

pre:
Crystalline entity, standard and move actions:
  - 60' movement towards the party, twice.
  - Remaining distance to party is 80', east from your location.
As it approaches, you find yourselves at the limits of the range of its pale yellow glow, which washes over the area in a manner not dissimilar to the light of a candle. The light flickers and plays on the shadows of the jungle behind you, adding an undeniable tension to the scene unfolding at the moment, although not causing any particular harm in and of itself.

Skullguy...
The armored behemoth laughs heartily at your defiance, and takes his foot off of your stomach, resting it instead on the ground near your head. As his laugh fades away, he continues the conversation, "Royalty, are you? How unexpected! Truly I was not expecting to receive such a noble guest as a king of orcs!" He laughs again, and you can't entirely tell if he is being serious or sarcastic. His tone shifts to a lower note at this point, as he continues, "Perhaps you can breathe easier now, with my foot off of your chest, King Skullguy of the ...Skullguys, is it? Creative naming scheme you've got there. I am... Nightfall Remnant, to answer your question of my own name." You're pretty sure he's being sarcastic now, but he continues nonetheless, "Forgive me, I should not be so rude. I didn't even recognize your racial profile. It has been a long time since I have even seen an orc, I suppose. No, not since the massacre in the ravine, if I recall correctly. It is good to see one of your kind still breathing."

He shrugs at this point, and in so doing his armor and the dozen blades at his back creak and jingle in a hundred different places, before he continues, "I suppose you are welcome to sleep in this cave if you desire it, if that is all you have come for. I had assumed, perhaps naively, that you had come in search of more than that. Do you...normally just put yourself to sleep through the use of magic? I suppose you are an orc, so maybe that's normal?"

He seems to be legitimately curious as to why you would do that, but otherwise isn't making any hostile movements. You are no longer restrained by his thousand-pound leg at this point, either.

pre:
You're up:  Sieversii, Zoka, Uru'vi and Szandra.

Sieversii:  Keep in mind that wild empathy specifically does work on magical beasts.
You just take a -4 penalty on the check.

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 16, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 1 (continued)...
pre:
On critical hits, LordKoth is correct.  Specifically:
 - Your original damage dice (in this case 2d8 gore) is doubled to 4d8 on a x2 modifier;
 - Any flat bonuses (in this case +8) are doubled to +16 on a x2 modifier; and
 - Any die bonuses (such as +1d6 for a flaming weapon) would not be impacted by a critical.
It is a tense moment, as Zoka, Szandra and Sieversii's eyes flit back and forth quickly between the airborne beast made of claws, teeth and spear-like tentacles on its back, and Uru'vi, who is directly in its flight path. A horrible scene plays out in each of their minds, with the end result of this monstrous creature's leap readily apparent:

Perhaps distracted by this horrible future that is rapidly approaching them, neither Sieversi nor Zoka immediately act. It is, instead, Uru'vi herself who bucks the shackles of a future yet to be written, choosing to meet her fate head-on in a clash of wills, horns, teeth, claws, hooves, tentacles, and whatever else fate may have in store. Rearing back on her hind legs, the unicorn kicks forth in a spirited charge directly aimed (quite literally) at the face of danger.

In the span of the blink of an eye, the unicorn breaches the remaining distance between herself and the airborne jungle cat, taking advantage of its reduced ability to maneuver or defend itself while in mid-leap to sneak past the creature's guard and surprise it with a bone-shattering strike. A sickening crunch is heard by Zoka and Sieversii, moments before a horrible, snarling wail echoes from the remaining portions of the creature's face.
pre:
Uru'vi has struck the displacer beast with a critical hit, dealing 41 points of damage.
The displacer beast is clearly severely wounded, but is still alive.
The displacer beast flails violently, but is effectively bound to the unicorn by her horn at this moment. For those looking on from afar, Zoka, Szandra and Sieversii see a terrifying sight: Uru'vi's horn has pierced directly through the creature's head, and its tip is sticking out of an exit wound at the back of the creature's skull. Blood is spraying everywhere at the moment, and torrents of the crimson rain are essentially painting the unicorn's head and mane. The displacer beast appears to still be alive, but given the wounds it has suffered is very likely to be not long for this world. It is obvious to the three onlookers, however, that in its final breaths it is likely to try and take as many pieces of Uru'vi with it to the grave as it can.

pre:
You're up:  Sieversii, Zoka, and Szandra.
Inside a cave...
Skullguy's unexpected conversation continues inside the cave, in a relatively pleasant tone and format (at least as compared to how it started). The hulking armored form replies after Skullguy's all-over-the-place statements, "As strange as it sounds, it would seem we have things in common, you and I. My homeland was ripped asunder as well, once upon a time. Although our problems were a little more ...difficult to predict... than something so simple as floodwaters, I suppose. Still, I too know the pain of migrating to new and dangerous lands." He laughs at this point, looking himself up and down as if inspecting his armor, before continuing, "I suppose my story doesn't matter any longer, though. I've certainly had enough of it, at least. So, your tribe of orcs is moving into the area, is it? And what did you say about a unicorn? I wasn't aware those were native to this place. I don't think unicorns can swim. Or at least, I don't think they typically do - for several dozen leagues - for no apparent reason. How very strange."

At this point, Skullguy's other comment finally appears to register, and the armored form stops, stares for a few moments, and then asks, "Wait ...did you just suggest that an infant displacer beast owes you money? For a potion you fed it? That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard."

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 20, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
In a single fluid motion that is reminiscent of poetry in both its grace and its nature, Sieversii readies and levels her longbow in the blink of an eye, effortlessly drawing and firing a wooden arrow cleanly through the air, zipping between Uru'vi's raised hooves and striking the beleaguered displacer beast in its chest. It is unclear to the onlookers whether the dryad is such a skilled shot with a bow that firing into a melee is barely a challenge, or if the dryad simply didn't care about the risk of possibly striking her comrade-in-arms: certainly, her face doesn't give way to any readable emotions on the matter.

Arguing with results, however, is a fairly difficult thing: the would-be foe now has a unicorn's horn rammed through its skull, presumably impairing much of its higher brain function, and an arrow somewhere close to where you imagine its heart would be. The beast is writhing in pain and howling a death scream that is echoing throughout the jungle canopy, but seems to still have a little bit of life left in it.

Taking nary a moment to enjoy the success of her shot, the dryad begins to listen to the sounds of the plants in the area, beseeching them silently in the language of the forest (and jungle, apparently) to offer insight on the presence of other potential predators nearby. In response to her call, the jungle responds: "Six feet with claws? Safe. ... ... Unnatural light, beware. ... ... Unseen for an age." A strange response, to say the least.

Meanwhile, Zoka immerses himself into the welcoming embrace of the shadowed canopy of the jungle, putting a few allies between himself and the ominous crystal floating in the air to the east of the group.

pre:
Sieversii has struck the displacer beast with an arrow, dealing 2 points of damage.
The displacer beast is clearly severely wounded, but is still alive.

Szandra, you're up!

Waador fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 29, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 2...
Writhing in agony, the horn-impaled jungle beast roars in defiance, lashing out violently with its claws, teeth, and the tentacles adorning its back. With much of its higher brain function impaired (presumably as a result of a unicorn horn skewering said brain - which leaves some of you to question the fabled healing properties of a unicorn's horn), many of the hits go wide, with one tentacle lashing at a nearby rock, and the bite grasping only thin air. In its last desperate strike, however, the other tentacle strikes deep into Uru'vi's side, tearing open a concerning-looking gash about twelve inches in length. Blood immediately begins to spurt everywhere, looking as if a major artery has been injured, and soon both the unicorn and the jungle beast are coated in a fresh layer of blood, mixing that of the two creatures in a disgusting margarita made from the blood of magical beasts.

pre:
Displacer beast:
  Full-round action:   Full attack
    Tentacle 1 (29) <<<Hit! Critical Threat!>>>
    Tentacle 1 (20) <<<Critical Hit!>>>
    Tentacle 2 (16) <<<Miss!>>>
    Bite (14) <<<Miss!>>>
  Damage:
    Tentacle 1 <<<18 bludgeoning damage!>>>
  Hit points:
    Uru'vi:      23 / 41 HP
Meanwhile, Zoka slips deeper into the shadows of the jungle canopy, hiding himself from the view of other potential threats. In contrast to this, Szandra rushes forth, heading to the northeast and placing herself into a position ostensibly defending Uru'vi from a surprise attack by the crystalline entity, as she is directly in the path of the two creatures and under no cover whatsoever. Almost immediately, the crystalline entity appears to take note of Szandra, rocketing towards her position at a rather impressive speed of flight. As it begins to head towards the skeleton, the faint light it was emitting strengthens to a far more visible glow, radiating at least twenty feet in every direction from its core (although somewhat occluded by local flora and rock formations). The crystalline entity emits a pulse of sound at this point, which Szandra recognizes as a strangely musical variant of an incantation to a 'deep slumber' spell. Predictably, the enchantment has no sway over the profound immunities of the skeletal mage.

Despite the effects of the spell rolling off of her without any impact whatsoever, Szandra notices something strange: an unusual condensation appears to be building in the air around her, and is collecting in beads on her exposed clothing and bones. A similar sensation is easily noticed on the nearby rocks, as well as the leaves and branches of several of the plants to her immediate back. The area effected is clearly grossly proportional to the strange aura being emitted by the crystalline entity - although it doesn't appear to be causing any harm...

pre:
Crystalline entity:
   Move action:      60' movement from S-12 to N-5.
   Free action:      Unknown aura is activated.
   Standard action:  Sleep spell-like ability vs. Szandra (no effect)

Szandra reaction: Spellcraft (18), identifies the spell-like ability but not the aura.
   Szandra reaction: Perception (23, detects strange condensation.

Inside a cave...
The dialogue between Skullguy and the strange, heavily-armored, heavily-armed humanoid entity continues, with the being responding to Skullguy's latest statement with a laugh. "Well, I can't fault you for your economic sense, I suppose. Though you might need a bit of luck collecting on that debt. I don't see him, but he might not be intelligent enough for that: I know that doesn't make much sense, but it's kind of complicated. I'm sure he or she is fine, though." The creature leans back against the wall of the cave at this point, in a manner that Skullguy notes as oddly silent for a creature carrying half a dozen greatswords and a hundred pounds of armor, and it continues, "Anyway, sorry, I'm confused. You...migrated here? With a unicorn, a skeleton, a dryad, and an...elf-thing? No idea what an elf is, but that sounds like an unlikely assortment of comrades no matter how you slice it." He pauses, seemingly considering for a moment, before continuing, "I don't suppose your skeleton is made of silver? Or some other similar precious metal?"

Finally he responds to Skullguy's targeted question, saying, "As to whether there are more of me here, honestly I have no clue. The Priesthood sent me to this island to secure...something that was deemed to be ours, I suppose. I failed in that task, at least partially. That was a long time ago, though. I have no idea what might have happened in the intervening time period." He shrugs, continuing, "Like I said, it's complicated. It's funny that you found it, but if you aren't here for a specific purpose I would highly advise you not to play with that rune lock. Wandering into the test it has been coded for would be astoundingly dangerous if you didn't know the trick to it. In fact, that's what got me killed." He shrugs again, letting that one hang in the air for a few moments of awkward silence. Then he drops another bombshell, suggesting, "Although, come to think of it, it is activated when you cast a sleep spell. I wonder if your head-shotting yourself in this cave is within the range of its divination?"

Waador fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 31, 2013

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
As with her initial charge, the enraged unicorn navigates past the primary defenses of the displacer beast through an instinctual use of her keen sense of smell, rendering the shimmering visual illusion that would otherwise protect it from harm to something not much more than a decorative accent to its fur coat. While the beast continues to thrash wildly, keeping Uru'vi's horns from finding any real purchase, the already-embedded horn digs its way deeper into the creature's skull, using its own thrashing against it to cause an almost unbelievable amount of internal hemorrhaging.

Giving a final, disgusting death rattle, the creature begins to succumb to its wounds, collapsing limply onto Uru'vi and shuddering. The creature is clearly dying, though has not been claimed by the grave just yet. It is, however, clearly no longer a threat.

pre:
Uru'vi:
  Full-round action:   Full attack
    Gore   (22)        <<<Hit!>>>
    Hoof 1 (14)        <<<Miss!>>>
    Hoof 2 ( 8)        <<<Miss!>>>
  Damage:
    Gore               <<<9 bludgeoning damage!>>>
  Hit points:
    Uru'vi:            23 / 41 HP
    Displacer Beast:   52 damage taken!  Defeated!
Meanwhile, Szandra skirts cautiously around the area threatened by the crystalline entity whose attention she has attracted. It is obvious to her that the light being cast by the creature is occluded by several large objects, such as rocks, and the dense vegetation, creating a few 'safe zones' around what otherwise appears to be an aura that it is effecting upon the area. The areas where the light isn't touching appear to be unassailed by whatever strange condensation the aura is seemingly generating or otherwise encouraging.

pre:
Zoka and Sieversii, you're up!
Inside a cave...
Skullguy attempts to stand up and collect his belongings, intent on leaving the cave. Almost immediately, he finds that his movements are sluggish, and that his muscles aren't responding in a manner that he has come to expect. In response, the armored man appears to laugh, explaining, "I'm afraid it's not that simple, friend. You're still asleep, actually. Not really sure there's anything either of us can do about that."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside a cave...
The 'dream ghost' takes the bait, responding in a relatively friendly manner and with an empathizing shrug, "Anything in particular you want to know, o' glorious leader? I've never exactly been an expert at anything but combat, but if you're newly migrated here I might be able to give you some useful information. As for what I want in exchange, well, it'd be nice to know a bit more about what you can do for me before tasking you with anything important to a dead man. Assuming there are such things, anyway." He laughs again, and then looks down at himself, as if considering for the first time in a while what exactly it might be that a dead man might want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside a cave...
The armored figure responds with a mild degree of interest, suggesting, "I'll start with the important questions, I guess. If you want to start building a civilization, you're going to need to be very careful about it. Massive hurricanes move through this place once in a while, tearing apart the coastlines and interior island pretty regularly. There's a natural valley nearby that might have the right positioning and geographical features - namely, big mountains on every side - that could shield you from the brunt of the storms, but I doubt even that would render you completely safe from the worst storms that sometimes ravage this place. Basically, your people had better be particularly good at architecture if you want to live here. And don't get me wrong, but I've never heard great things about the orcish education system. Living underground would be a lot safer, is all I'm saying." He shrugs, ostensibly trying to be helpful but obviously not seeing the logic to building a civilization on an island regularly ravaged by natural disaster.

He continues, "As for treasure, I might know a few things about that subject. As I said, the Priesthood sent me here to secure something valuable to my order. It was stored in a vault...of sorts, anyway. If you were willing to help me recover that object, I am sure you would find ample reward in the other treasures stored therein. I would certainly no longer have any use for the material wealth, anyway." He's obviously holding a few things back - particularly the 'where' and the 'how' - but he seems sincere enough, as he responds to your other questions, "As to pirates, not a clue. Same goes for how long I've been dead. A few hundred years at least, I assume. It's been, uh, a long time since I stopped counting the days, anyway." Winking one of the burning silver points of fire that pass for eyes behind his massive steel mask, he asks, "so, where do we start, o' witch king of the orcs?"

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 2, 2014

• Locked thread