Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sperglord Firecock
Feb 20, 2011

THE RUNES NEVER SPOKE OF THIS

Noting a distinct lack of homebrew classes, settings, rules, whatever, for established systems, so I figured I'd make one.

I myself was kinda disgusted with the fact that Monks in 3.5 get a ton of utility, yet are useless, so I made a PUNCHHARD class that borrowed a crapton in terms of "flavor" from Fist of the North Star and "HOT BLOODED" stereotype.

Highlights of the class were its Tension system:

quote:

Tension (Su): Tension is a heightening of the spirit and will to fight caused by extended

time within a fight or battle. A Basirkard must spend their time getting hit or hitting

something within a round in order for their tension to increase. Conceivably, the

Basirkard's teammates or the Basirkard themselves could hit them in order to increase

tension, but this isn't a good idea, and should be punished by DMs. At level 12, the

Basirkard's Tension level extends for 5 more benefits, raising his tension total from 10 to

Tension normally only lasts until the end of combat until later in the class. A Basirkard

may roll a Constitution save in order to extend their tension for an hour after (DC 20), but

this temporarily damages their constitution for 1d4 each time he does it.

Tension could be used as a passive bonus (+1 to BAB every 2 levels of it, +1 to damage every four levels of it). The way that I tracked increase was that each hit on an enemy that wasn't a special move and each hit that was received from an enemy was one point. Moves were things like.....

quote:

Heaven Chariot Kick (Su): At 4th level, a Basirkard may expend 3 Tension Points to

make a leap towards an enemy up to 30 feet away. All opponents on the way may make

Attacks of Opportunity upon the Basirkard as they do so, but the Attacks of Opportunity

do not stop the Basirkard. When the opponent is reached, the Basirkard can do a full

attack upon the opponent, or use other abilities. At 9th level, the Basirkard avoids

Attacks of Opportunity altogether when using this ability.

Another unique feature was the fact that at level 8, it split off between whether you wanted to be more Constitution-based or Dexterity-based, cutting down on MAD, with moves that could only be gotten if you took one path or the other.

I playtested it, and I gotta say, it was straight up fun as hell to play, mostly because it gave me a reason to make massive, "I AM THE HAND OF FATE!" pronouncements and just over-the-top ridiculous manliness throughout the entire game. In terms of balance? I honestly don't know how balanced it in fact is. What I do know is that at higher levels, it does a metric fuckton of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frisk
Dec 27, 2012
IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've got a Gamma World hack set up for fantasy races that I'll upload to google docs and edit into this post that I could use feedback on. Glad to see another homebrew thread!

e: I did a fantasy conversion of classic D&D races and classes in GW format. You roll 2d12 to randomly pick your character. Classes count as your primary stat (giving you 18 in the associated ability) and races are secondary (giving you 16).

Here are the Gamma World Fantasy Classes.
Here are the Gamma World Fantasy Races.

I took most of the stuff out of PHBs and the Essentials line, then tweaked the damage to output slightly higher. Much like Gamma World, some combinations are more dangerous than others. I also wrote in rules for the use of Tactics cards, an ill-fated 4e tie-in set of boosters that allow you to do extra maneuvers in combat. These can be safely skipped without affecting the game too much.

I'm looking for any feedback on this. Like... anything. I know that some classes deliver more damage than others, but I tried to keep them all in range. I had a bitch of a time trying to reduce everything down to a single power. We can discuss this here (I assume) or over in the Gamma World thread if you've got comments, tips, suggestions, criticisms, or put-downs.

Lord Frisk fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2013 around 20:40

Sperglord Firecock
Feb 20, 2011

Oh right, I should probably put down a Googledocs link.

Here.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1YdD...dit?usp=sharing

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

Awesome, a homebrew thread. Anyway, I've been working on this one-page RPG where players are paranormal investigators. I'll probably post it here when I'm done.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I love physics,
in theory.

Egregious Offences posted:

Awesome, a homebrew thread. Anyway, I've been working on this one-page RPG where players are paranormal investigators. I'll probably post it here when I'm done.

That sounds awesome.

I was incredibly disappointed with 3.5's poison system, and even more with Pathfinder for not fixing it. I went ahead and came up with some rules based on a few that I'd found elsewhere, and pieced together a system for crafting custom poisons for a rogue-ninja espionage game I was running for a little while. I don't have time right now, but I'll post them up, ASAP. They were fairly functional, though could have used more playtesting. Probably a few broken combinations in there that I hadn't considered, and what not.

Sperglord Firecock
Feb 20, 2011

I'd really like some feedback on the Basirkard. I'm sure 90% of people will say it is ridiculous OP. But eh.

Loki_XLII
Jan 1, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

I've got a Gamma World hack set up for fantasy races that I'll upload to google docs and edit into this post that I could use feedback on. Glad to see another homebrew thread!

e: I did a fantasy conversion of classic D&D races and classes in GW format. You roll 2d12 to randomly pick your character. Classes count as your primary stat (giving you 18 in the associated ability) and races are secondary (giving you 16).

Here are the Gamma World Fantasy Classes.

I didn't have time to read all of it, but from what I'm seeing, it doesn't look like there's a duration for the Barbarian's Rage. Also, it is really weirding me out that Cleric gets Constitution instead of Wisdom. Or even Charisma. Con just does not seem like an iconic Cleric stat.

Edit: Other than my complaints, I actually really love the concept. I might even try to get my group to use these in one shot sometime. If I do that, I'll give you feedback.

Lord Frisk
Dec 27, 2012
IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Barbarian Rage would last til the end of the encounter.

Clerics getting Con basically boiled down to each class getting one of the main stats, and not having more than two classes share a stat. It's kinda weird, I agree, but it kept things within balance.

E: I also had a hard time justifying Monks as Con based, but that's how it goes.

Lord Frisk fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2013 around 15:47

Loki_XLII
Jan 1, 2013

Actually, I just realized how many classes use Wisdom as a primary. That's kind of weird, I've always thought it was a poorly thought out ability score.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

I think it would be fun to run a weird-rear end high/low fantasy game, that takes place in a world of Magic, but in which humans are people who lack any magical power whatsoever. I'm not sure how I would necessarily rationalize it. If it's just always been that way, I'll have to run a "wretched cave men on the fringes of civilization" dealie, and that kind of sucks.

I'd be halfway tempted to do a "humans are intruders into this world, but have no way of returning home" situation, like The Witcher, only magic mostly just doesn't work for them. Then, depending on circumstances, I can fiddle with the variables. Maybe magic used to work in their reality of origin, but they can't use it here. Maybe a large quantity of humans were summoned here to act as slave labor or something, and we revolted with surprising brutality.

I've toyed with the idea of the humans being part of some modern or near-future expedition project, checking out some kind of weird portal that turned out to be a one-way trip. That way, they would have access to advanced technology in extremely limited quantities. Sorry PC scouting party, we need all the guns to protect the outpost from griffons and lizard people and poo poo. Half of you can have body armor, and all of you can have sweet combat knives. You can all share one satchel charge. Now go check out that distant, pyramid-looking structure that glows under moonlight.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

A friend and I got tired of how martial combat/classes tended to be treated in many pen and paper systems, so we're trying to focus on a game which will make combat encounters fast, deadly, and capable of making the player feel like they're not just clumsily whacking stuff. We're also trying to downplay classes so, in theory, my skillful sword-for-hire could also be anything from a smooth talker to a budding surgeon.

Lots of martial styles, dangerous melee/ranged weapons, and access to "low" magic (inasmuch as most magic would be subtle or relatively small scale)will hopefully make combat encounters more exciting for people. Larger magic spells would require set up, ingredients, and may even be narrative driven, though this won't be too hard to implement if the other stuff is working.

We have a few story ideas floating around at the moment, including one of mine which would be a dark fantasy set against the backdrop of the wars of religion in the 16th century, but the actual gameplay system is a bit more important at the moment. The setting would only affect mechanics by allowing us to play around with the idea of having styles, etc...

At the moment we're trying to find some systems that could work with our ideas since we don't want to spend too much time cooking up mechanics of our own at the moment. No one is even sure they'll be able to make time. Anyone here have some suggestions for possible, preexisting systems to look at in the short term or does anyone think this is too ambitious for just a small side project? I've been hearing Legend of the Five Rings and Burning Wheel have interesting systems for combat and may be good starting points.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

I'm working on a homebrew D&D-alike game system that uses tri-stat but I dunno if this would be the thread to post it in.

On the other hand, I've often thought about adapting the idea to 4e D&D. Particularly since you end up dumping 2-3 of your 6 stats (regardless of class) anyway. And the way some Essentials classes just shoehorned CON into being important beyond putting 12-13 in it was pretty laughable to me.

I kinda want to combine STR and CON, then switch either Intimidate or Heal (both?) so it keys off of that stat instead. Beyond that, it gets trickier.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

GunganRevenge posted:

I'd really like some feedback on the Basirkard. I'm sure 90% of people will say it is ridiculous OP. But eh.

Neat idea, and unarmed fighters could definitely use a bit more bare-chested manliness in D&D.

I'm going to avoid comparing it to spellcasting classes, and instead try and just compare it to other primary combat classes, just to make sure it's apples to apples here.

first, I'm noting that there aren't HD listed, but if I had to guess I'm sure they'd be a d10 or a d12.

They've got full BAB, which I'm not strictly against, but I would say that it shouldn't really be combined with Flurry of Blows. Getting three attacks per round at +20 to hit is really grinding the other classes's faces into the dirt a bit. I'd suggest dropping the flurry of blows abilities and keeping the full BAB. A Basirkard who wants to machine-gun his foes with fists can spend the feats on the TWF tree.

The tension ability is far too vaguely defined. As far as I can tell a Bariskard can just stomp on the ground to raise his tension (that's hitting something after all) and it's generally bad design to suggest that the DM punish a player for using the rules they're given...if you don't want the player to do something, make it against the rules. There's also no rule for how much tension increases when hitting or being hit. I assume one point? Here's an alternate wording that might work better:

"Tension increases by one point every time the Basirkard suffers damage from an opponent's attack and any time the basirkard inflicts damage to an opponent with an unarmed strike. Allies or non-hostile NPCs cannot produce Tension."

Also, getting a bonus to BAB is a big no-no. That should probably just be a morale bonus to attack and damage. I'd also ditch the rule about holding onto tension, it complicates the ability for little reason.

Even the odds is overly complicated and doesn't actually provide a great deal of benefit. I would just give them Mobility as a bonus feat if you want them to be better at avoiding AoOs

Heaven Chariot Kick is definitely overpowered, basically anything that grants the Pounce ability is going to be fairly obscene, especially as low as 4th level. It's actually better than pounce since it doesn't have to be a Charge, apparently lets you move freely through enemy spaces and at 9th level does not provoke AoOs. Definitely would laugh at anyone who tried to get that into my game, especially combined with full BAB and Flurry of Blows.

Insight of Power is completely undefined. What skills would it apply to? Not too concerned about it though, the bonus would probably only be a few points and mostly to skills the character wouldn't be using much if at all. Not a big deal.

Battle Trance and Challenging Stomp are kind of dick moves, targeting allies is always bad form, especially for a melee class which will presumably be shoulder to shoulder with the party's other warriors. The benefits of Battle Trance aren't even that great in return for the risk. There's also no TN on the intelligence check for avoiding attacking allies.

Biteback is also fairly overpowered, especially since you get a point of tension for being hit by the opponent anyway, so it ends up not draining your current tension at all and amounts to the ability to get a free counterattack every single time you're hit. Heaven smashing fist is even more ridiculous. 2 additional attacks on top of bypassing all DR is pretty drat insane, even at the high Tension cost.

Really, the class is really overburdened with abilities. It gets more abilities in the the first 5 levels than most classes get in the first 10. This pattern only continues at higher levels. It seems like the class is trying to contain all possible abilities of a character of this type into one package, forgetting that much of this should be handled by things like skills and feats.

If I wanted to make a class of this sort I would probably take a monk, give it a d10 HD, full BAB. Drop AC bonuses and flurry of blows. Replace it with the Barbarian's Rage ability (rename it as "burning heart" or something) and with an adjustment that makes it so that any round where the character suffers or inflicts damage doesn't count against the rage's duration. Maybe swap out a couple of other minor class features like slow fall.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006
Martian motherfucker! Do you grok it?

EDIT

This might not be the right thread for this - sorry.

Bob Quixote fucked around with this message at Dec 27, 2013 around 17:51

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

I've got a homebrewed dungeon fantasy game using playing cards in place of dice. Mostly just put it together as a bit of a personal experiment, but any feedback would be cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjwmn91pv...eon%20cards.PDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

I've got some 4e Blackguard homebrew build mechanics stuff I wanted to post here (as seen on GitP forums):

[fluff]
This Brash Blackguard represents the "inquisitor" sort of character; people who have worked within the city walls of the wealthiest capitols in the world, oppressing the downtrodden and rooting out sedition, all in the name of law and order. They are paladins who have become morally bankrupt through corruption, avarice, and an addiction to power.

The Deceitful Blackguard is more likely a soldier of faith who has seen the darkest depths of the known world, plombing the caves, dungeons and other strongholds of evildoers. Through these pursuits, they have become jaded, and their sense of idealism has been washed away. They've learned to fight unspeakable horrors with any means available -- indeed, sometimes armed with nothing more than their own wits and cunning -- and with little regard for chivalry. Perhaps they have even been tainted by evil themselves.

[/fluff]

Class skill list:
    Athletics (STR)
    Endurance (CON)
    Stealth (DEX)
    Thievery (DEX)
    Dungeoneering (WIS)
    Perception (WIS)
    Bluff (CHA)
    Intimidate (CHA)
    Streetwise (CHA)

Brash Blackguard:
    You can use CHA in place of STR for attack and damage rolls when you make a melee basic attack with a heavy blade.
    You deal extra damage equal to your CON modifier on melee attacks.
    Brash Challenge: once per round as a minor action you can challenge the closest enemy to you. You grant combat advantage to any challenged enemies, but deal 1[W] extra damage (increasing to 2[W] at level 11 and 3[W] at level 21) on any successful melee attacks against them.

Deceitful Blackguard:
    When you make a basic attack with a light blade, you can use your DEX in place of STR for attack rolls and damage rolls.
    Your weapon attacks deal extra damage equal to your WIS modifier.
    When you hit with a weapon attack against a target granting you combat advantage, the target takes 1[W] extra damage (increasing to 2[W] at level 11 and 3[W] at level 21).
    You gain Shield Finesse as a bonus feat.