Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Thor. God. Hero. Fighter. Avenger. Film Star.

There's been a lot of talk about God of Thunder but no thread until now so read on below for all your :black101: needs.

THE CURRENT

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER
Jason Aaron, Esad Ribic, Ron Garney, Dead White.

The main Thor series on stands at the moment the book follows Thor, his companions and everything metal. Focusing on the God aspect rather than the Superhero aspect the book embraces the "goofy" aspects of the character and molds it into everything you've ever wanted to see painted on the side of a van. The first arc "God Butcher" is available in trade and follows Thor as he teams up with multiple versions of himself to stop a God serial killer bent on destroying the universe. Aaron has a knack for written "badass and violent" characters and is amply helped by a stellar art team. Some preview images below with as little spoilers as possible.

Here's a preview video where Aaron pitches the book and issues are available at your local store or digitally.

THE CANCELLED

If you're looking for some more Asgardian action of a different flavour why not try out Journey Into Mystery?

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #646-#655.
Kathryn Immonen, Valerio Schiti, Jordie Bellaire

The above run for Journey into Mystery was a fun series doomed from the start. Following Sif as she tries to find her place in the world the book was a fun, colourful and violent trek through the Norse world. Overall it's a self contained series which hardly anybody read which was gorgeous to look at and a nice comparison to the ultra-metal of Thor. Available at your local funny book store and digitally.

Some preview images below from the baddass thread:

THE FUTURE

LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD
Al Ewing, Lee Garbett

Capitalizing on the Marvel film popularity next year will see Loki looking familiarly like his movie-counterpart and travelling the universe fighting "bad guys" but obviously for own means. It's just been announced so who knows how it will go but more Thor books can't be a bad thing.

THE PAST

There are hundreds of Thor comics. Feel like recommending or discussing some, well then post away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Im excited for Loki to get his own title, as much as as I will miss kid Loki, tearing it up in Young Avengers. Is it weird that they arent running it as JiM?

What I really want is JiM to relauch following Volstagg as he battles the 9 worlds politics with girth based feats of wonder. Challanging senators to drinking contests and so on.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Is it wrong to want Fat Cobra to be involved in this 9 Worlds Congress to have another large dude assist Volstagg on his filibusters and such?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Having enjoyed the first trade a few months back, I was very happy get hold of the second and final trade of Thor, The Mighty Avenger on Comixology the other day. Though having read it, it's just all the sadder that such a wonderful little series only ran for so few issues, it's so genuinely *lovely* in every way, one of the most endearingly Marvel titles I've ever read.

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013
Its a bloody great time to be a Thor fan, Aaron seems to be setting up something cool with old Thor and I cant wait to see what it is.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows any hidden gems in Thor back issues? I've read most of the big Thor stories and was wondering about the less talked about stuff.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
What's the general consensus on Straczynski's run on Thor? Worth checking out? Or should I start with God of Thunder?

Speaking of God of Thunder, what's the deal with Hardcover only? Really don't want to pay extra and I can't find a comic shop with #1.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

aroundtheback posted:

Its a bloody great time to be a Thor fan, Aaron seems to be setting up something cool with old Thor and I cant wait to see what it is.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows any hidden gems in Thor back issues? I've read most of the big Thor stories and was wondering about the less talked about stuff.

387-389 is a great three parter where Thor defends an alien planet from the Celestials. 160 he defends Ego against Galactus. 411-412 has probably the best Thor/Juggernaut throw down, despite the first appearance of the New Warriors getting in the way.

I like some good sci-if Thor. The latest issue of Infinity scratched that itch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fly McCool posted:

What's the general consensus on Straczynski's run on Thor? Worth checking out? Or should I start with God of Thunder?

Speaking of God of Thunder, what's the deal with Hardcover only? Really don't want to pay extra and I can't find a comic shop with #1.

I like his Thor run a lot. It has great art and a tight, coherent story that unfortunately doesn't have a good ending. God of Thunder is better, but you can start with either, since they both function as "reboots" of sorts. Story threads in JMS' run reach up all the way through every other Thor series that came out until God of Thunder. GoT just said gently caress it and essentially started anew with the most metal story in the world.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I do think Broxton in general was one of the smartest moves anyone's made in Marvel in recent years. So many people have gotten a lot out of the contrast between it and Asgard, whether it's for humor or something epic like Bill, Son of Bills.

That scene in the Prince of Power miniseries where they've organized a canned food drive for the Asgardians after the Siege crossover still stands out to me.

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

387-389 is a great three parter where Thor defends an alien planet from the Celestials. 160 he defends Ego against Galactus. 411-412 has probably the best Thor/Juggernaut throw down, despite the first appearance of the New Warriors getting in the way.

Cheers I'll track them down and give them a read.

To add about Straczynski's Thor, its 1st trade is what really got me into comics and serves as a great intro to the new status-quo for Thor but it ends on a whimper and I think its best just to start with Thor GoT because it is really really good and not really continuity heavy anyway.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

No mention of Walt Simonson's run? By gods, how shameful! It is as definitive run as they go, a perfect mix of mythological and sci-fi imagery and stories, building on the proud legacy of Jack Kirby and inspiring every single Thor author to this day. Hella :black101: and features an awesome cast to push away the lacking charisma of Thor himself, including fan-favorite space horse Beta-Ray Bill. Collected in a god-sized omnibus.

I would never recommend the run of Straczynski and Coipel to anyone, because it is a whole lot of issues with nothing happening, sad gods being sad and bullshit drama in a typical JMS fashion. Hunt down Matt Fraction's one-shots from that period instead.

I don't understand why people made a martyr of Thor the Mighty Avenger, romance comics became cool of a sudden? It was an alright departure from the norm, though, and the streamlined designs by Chris Samnee are very pretty.

Loki mini-series by Roberto Rodi (if I remember his name correctly) and Essad Ribic is closer to the mythological roots than the Kirby-fashioned Marvel Asgard, and plays on the cyclical nature of the original stories. Has gorgeous full-painted art.

If you want to jump into Kieron Gillen's stuff with Kid Loki (DO IT), don't miss his run on the main Thor title that had set the stage for Journey Into Mystery, especially the last story arc about Hela and Tyr. Collected in the Ultimate Collection TPB.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm actually reading through Simonson's run now, and it's funny, because I'm not very familiar with that era of Marvel comics, so it's interesting to see how much things have changed, and yet you can tell that it's getting more and more modern. The thing that mainly sticks out is that each issue has like four concurrent storylines that switch almost at random.

It's good, though. Loved all the Beta Ray Bill stuff.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

fatherboxx posted:

I don't understand why people made a martyr of Thor the Mighty Avenger, romance comics became cool of a sudden? It was an alright departure from the norm, though, and the streamlined designs by Chris Samnee are very pretty.
Because it, like Spider- Man Loves Mary Jane, is an excellently written book with great art and a plot interesting to people outside the usual FLCS crowd.

So yes, romance comics are loving awesome so long as they're written that well. It's a martyr because of how unique a good fun ALL AGES comic is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

While I accept that Dan Jurgen's run meandered a bit and was a product of the late 90's in Marvel (I still liked the Reigning storyarc and thought it had some fantastic ideas. Magni forever.) I will ALWAYS recomend to people his Thor v Thanos/Mangog arc (from Thor #19-25) as one of the most awesome super hero fights ever.

I'll also recommend Mike Oeming's Thor run during Avenger's Dissembled that ran from Thor 69-75. It's a fantastic story.

If we can step outside of Thor briefly, Oeming's Beta Ray Bill series is really good (as was Kieron Gillen's BRB stories.) and nearly anything with Hercules on the cover is pure gold.

Also
"The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Thor Discussion Thread - You were the Lightning in that Rain!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bombadilillo posted:

Im excited for Loki to get his own title, as much as as I will miss kid Loki, tearing it up in Young Avengers. Is it weird that they arent running it as JiM?

What I really want is JiM to relauch following Volstagg as he battles the 9 worlds politics with girth based feats of wonder. Challanging senators to drinking contests and so on.

Loki is probably the most popular Marvel Movie character outside of Tony Stark (and the one with the largest appeal to potential new comics readers, especially women). Given the lackluster sales of the previous run of Journey into Mystery, it's not that surprising that they want Loki's name on the masthead.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Skwirl posted:

Loki is probably the most popular Marvel Movie character outside of Tony Stark (and the one with the largest appeal to potential new comics readers, especially women). Given the lackluster sales of the previous run of Journey into Mystery, it's not that surprising that they want Loki's name on the masthead.

Don't forget his mad dancing skills.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Picked up Thor: Crown of fools. Which was a fun little read, and the reprint made me want to break out my Simonson Omnibus (a must have).

Does anybody know if thats a one-off or a mini or what? I cant find info anywhere on it. Also Volstagg was was too thin :colbert: unacceptable.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

If you want to jump into Kieron Gillen's stuff with Kid Loki (DO IT), don't miss his run on the main Thor title that had set the stage for Journey Into Mystery, especially the last story arc about Hela and Tyr. Collected in the Ultimate Collection TPB.

Speaking of which, I'm interested in the whole Kid Loki story arc or whatever it is. If I want to read the whole thing from the beginning, where do I start and what should I read? Is it all contained in the TPB you mentioned?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Third Murderer posted:

Speaking of which, I'm interested in the whole Kid Loki story arc or whatever it is. If I want to read the whole thing from the beginning, where do I start and what should I read? Is it all contained in the TPB you mentioned?

Gillen's "Kid Loki" Journey into Mystery is amazing. It's JiM 622-645 with some tie-ins. I think that Ultimate Collection thing was just mentioning the Gillen Thor arc.

From Wikipedia, the TPBs are:
Fear Itself: Journey into Mystery collects #622-626, Thor Spotlight, and Fear Itself Spotlight, 136 pages, September 2012, ISBN 978-0785148418
Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout collects #626.1, 627-631, 136 pages, October 2012, ISBN 978-0785152620
Journey into Mystery: Terrorism Myth collects #632-636, 120 pages, October 2012, ISBN 978-0785161066
Journey into Mystery/New Mutants: Exiled collects #637-638, Exiled #1, and New Mutants #42-43, 120 pages, November 2012, ISBN 978-0785165408
Journey into Mystery: The Manchester Gods collects #639-641 and The Mighty Thor Annual #1, 120 pages, December 2012, ISBN 978-0785161073
The Mighty Thor/Journey into Mystery: Everything Burns collects #642-645 and The Mighty Thor #18-22, 216 pages, January 2013, ISBN 978-0785161684

They really, really obviously need to do a Kid Loki by Kieron Gillen omnibus.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

onefish posted:

Gillen's "Kid Loki" Journey into Mystery is amazing. It's JiM 622-645 with some tie-ins. I think that Ultimate Collection thing was just mentioning the Gillen Thor arc.

From Wikipedia, the TPBs are:
Fear Itself: Journey into Mystery collects #622-626, Thor Spotlight, and Fear Itself Spotlight, 136 pages, September 2012, ISBN 978-0785148418
Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout collects #626.1, 627-631, 136 pages, October 2012, ISBN 978-0785152620
Journey into Mystery: Terrorism Myth collects #632-636, 120 pages, October 2012, ISBN 978-0785161066
Journey into Mystery/New Mutants: Exiled collects #637-638, Exiled #1, and New Mutants #42-43, 120 pages, November 2012, ISBN 978-0785165408
Journey into Mystery: The Manchester Gods collects #639-641 and The Mighty Thor Annual #1, 120 pages, December 2012, ISBN 978-0785161073
The Mighty Thor/Journey into Mystery: Everything Burns collects #642-645 and The Mighty Thor #18-22, 216 pages, January 2013, ISBN 978-0785161684

They really, really obviously need to do a Kid Loki by Kieron Gillen omnibus.

Welp, time to spend a bunch of money. Thanks!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Third Murderer posted:

Welp, time to spend a bunch of money. Thanks!

You and me both. Except that I (like an idiot sometimes) prefer to have my trades in Hardcover (and OSHC when applicable), which means I'll likely be paying out the rear end for the first volume. Related to that, any idea what a actual reasonable price would be for getting that first Hardcover (I know I'll be paying more than the original MSRP)?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Let there be Skurge! Thor 362
Sorry about so many but they are all needed

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RIP Oggy. You were awesome.

Everyone should read Thor: God of Thunder because its awesome.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hopefully people are still reading Thor and its awesomeness. Even if the last page reminds me of the Magic: The Gathering card Tacklemaggot. I love this whole D&D arc. :black101:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Hopefully people are still reading Thor and its awesomeness. Even if the last page reminds me of the Magic: The Gathering card Tacklemaggot. I love this whole D&D arc. :black101:

I had flashbacks to the tequilla worm in Poltergiest 1 or 2.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bombadilillo posted:

RIP Oggy. You were awesome.

Everyone should read Thor: God of Thunder because its awesome.

I agree. The issues making up the first trade is up on Marvel Unlimited for those on the fence. I bought that trade anyway, the 2nd then all the issues to current. Then subbed.

Thor dropping the hammer on fools is awesome.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
With all the praise being heaped on God of Thunder I was a little skeptical of it living up to the hype. Needless to say Thor busting in on the space shark alone had me grinning like a fool.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Avynte posted:

With all the praise being heaped on God of Thunder I was a little skeptical of it living up to the hype. Needless to say Thor busting in on the space shark alone had me grinning like a fool.

Thor hitting other Thor with a space shwrk and the sound effect beeing SHARKATHOOOOOM definitely made my day!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I really like the current arc, but I kind of groaned at the end of the latest issue. I mean, the second they said someone's a traitor, I immediately thought in my head, "Thor's the traitor and doesn't realize it". It just seemed predictable to me, was it the same for anyone else?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

TwoPair posted:

I really like the current arc, but I kind of groaned at the end of the latest issue. I mean, the second they said someone's a traitor, I immediately thought in my head, "Thor's the traitor and doesn't realize it". It just seemed predictable to me, was it the same for anyone else?

I just read the issue today and had the same reaction. I also thought it was hosed up he crushed the trolls head with no evidence or certainty, I figured he knew something the reader didn't but nope, accidentally crushed this trolls head.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

My eyes are on the High Elf, just because it seems so obvious. Because of that I'll be more satisfied if your guess is correct.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like a Loki Omnibus would have beena slam dunk if they had released it around Thor 2's release date. Put in his first appearance, his mini series where he beats Thor, and a bunch of the JiM appearances. Maybe all of them.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

WickedHate posted:

My eyes are on the High Elf, just because it seems so obvious. Because of that I'll be more satisfied if your guess is correct.

The last issue ended with the reveal that Thor was the traitor. :/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Little Mac posted:

The last issue ended with the reveal that Thor was the traitor. :/

Weird. Last issue I read was them surrounded by frost giants. I can't believe I skipped one on accident.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I haven't read many Thor comics, but I liked Thor and the Warriors Four, which starred Beta Ray Bill, the Pet Avengers, and Power Pack. It was a fun all-ages story with nice, clean art by Gurihiru.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Schneider Heim posted:

I haven't read many Thor comics, but I liked Thor and the Warriors Four, which starred Beta Ray Bill, the Pet Avengers, and Power Pack. It was a fun all-ages story with nice, clean art by Gurihiru.

That was great, especially the adorable baby Beta Ray Bill, who I want Marvel to make a plushie of.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up Thor God of Thunder off comixology on a whim the other day. I'm currently on issue 12 and holy poo poo this is pretty much everything I wanted out of a book about Thor. I don't know anything about the character except he's a big guy who can hit things with a hammer and has had some goofy rear end adventures in the past. Is there more like this after I catch up?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Len posted:

I picked up Thor God of Thunder off comixology on a whim the other day. I'm currently on issue 12 and holy poo poo this is pretty much everything I wanted out of a book about Thor. I don't know anything about the character except he's a big guy who can hit things with a hammer and has had some goofy rear end adventures in the past. Is there more like this after I catch up?

Get the Simonson Omnibus.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did Marvel ever do one of those DVD compliations for Thor like they did for Avengers and Spider-Man? Trying to find information on them now just returns me a bunch of DVDs for the movies, and I'd like to burn through a couple decades of back issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did Marvel ever do one of those DVD compliations for Thor like they did for Avengers and Spider-Man? Trying to find information on them now just returns me a bunch of DVDs for the movies, and I'd like to burn through a couple decades of back issues.

No. You'd be better off getting a subscription to Marvel Unlimited. A ton of Thor comics are up on the service. I'll assume some are missing but it's hard to tell which because the organization is terrible. Still, it's really comprehensive, particularly for earlier stuff. Here's a link to Ego the Living Planet's first appearance.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/11460/thor_1966_132

• Locked thread