Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
God of Thunder is a comic that is about Thor going toe to toe with loving Galactus because gently caress You Galactus. God of Thunder rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yawgmoft posted:

Has anything really ended well so far for Thor since he killed Gorr (and it looks like even that might not be turning out so hot)?

Galactus with All Black, the Necrosword, is only marginally worse then a serial killer of gods with it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kaleidoscope posted:

Asgardians in Broxton kinda ran it's course. It didn't feel like anyone was doing anything with the idea after Siege and they used the best idea early with Bill.

:smith: gently caress. I forgot about Bill. Son of Bill.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Yawgmoft posted:

Has anything really ended well so far for Thor since he killed Gorr (and it looks like even that might not be turning out so hot)? Maleketh is alive and well with god level diplomatic immunity, a war of realms is forming, Jane has cancer, and the hot dark elf is in superjail. I'm pretty sure we're building up to something.

Yep, it's going to lead to a massive team-up of the Thors three, the Lokis three, and the Odins three against the world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

goldenoreos posted:

Yep, it's going to lead to a massive team-up of the Thors three, the Lokis three, and the Odins three against the world.

How are there three Odins? Hell, how are there 2 during modern Thor, Odin is gone, and future Thor is the All-Father with the Thorforce, so it's not like Odin can be around for that. We haven't seen a future Loki either, and I'd honestly be a little surprised if they ever do, because at the moment Marvel seems to be toying with redemption for him, but haven't gone whole hog.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Skwirl posted:

How are there three Odins? Hell, how are there 2 during modern Thor, Odin is gone, and future Thor is the All-Father with the Thorforce, so it's not like Odin can be around for that. We haven't seen a future Loki either, and I'd honestly be a little surprised if they ever do, because at the moment Marvel seems to be toying with redemption for him, but haven't gone whole hog.

I was sort of joking with my post, but I think Aaron has implied that future Loki would make an appearance eventually in his comic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

Has anything really ended well so far for Thor since he killed Gorr (and it looks like even that might not be turning out so hot)? Maleketh is alive and well with god level diplomatic immunity, a war of realms is forming, Jane has cancer, and the hot dark elf is in superjail. I'm pretty sure we're building up to something.

They've gone well for King Thor. He brought back gods, saved Earth, and revived it from being a chunk of dead rock. Modern Thor is having a bit of a poo poo time I guess. Oh well, dude's got a lot of mead I guess, so there's a silver lining.

Kaleidoscope posted:

Asgardians in Broxton kinda ran it's course. It didn't feel like anyone was doing anything with the idea after Siege and they used the best idea early with Bill.

That's true, but I guess I feel like just turning the place into a crater is kind of a bit much to get Asgard to leave. I mean, I guess the ideal time to write them out would've been either immediately post-Siege or immediately post-Fear Itself, so this just feels like wiping the slate clean hurriedly. I'm sure it's going somewhere, I just don't like that one detail of how the story's getting there.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Future Loki has already shown up in the current Loki series. He and Modern Loki don't get along.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Horrible Taste posted:

Future Loki has already shown up in the current Loki series. He and Modern Loki don't get along.

I thought the present Loki ate the previous Loki or something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

coconono posted:

I thought the present Loki ate the previous Loki or something.

But he still thinks he can become a better Loki without a full mindwipe but this Loki is like "NOPE YOU STILL CRAZY EVIL"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did I miss an issue? My understanding is we have current teen Loki, who took over the good Loki's body (from Journey into Mystery) but is trying to be a better Loki than the classic Marvel villain. and we have a resurrected Past Loki, that traveled back in time to gently caress with young Odin (I think) and create the magical sword.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Who trusts the Lie-Smith to forge a sword of truth? Or rather, who should?

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Did I miss an issue? My understanding is we have current teen Loki, who took over the good Loki's body (from Journey into Mystery) but is trying to be a better Loki than the classic Marvel villain. and we have a resurrected Past Loki, that traveled back in time to gently caress with young Odin (I think) and create the magical sword.

You missed #5. "Past" Loki is actually the future version of current Loki from King Thor's timeline.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't know what happened in Original Sin but it didn't hamper Thor #1's quality at all. Ribic is irreplaceable but I love the way Dauterman draws frost giants. This war is going to be crazy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I don't know what happened in Original Sin but it didn't hamper Thor #1's quality at all. Ribic is irreplaceable but I love the way Dauterman draws frost giants. This war is going to be crazy.

Original Sin spoilers
Thor and Loki went to the "10th Realm" to find his sister. His sister turns out to be Angeline. The Angels of the 10th Realm are sworn enemies of the Asgardians and they fight. Loki betrays Thor to join up with the Angels and lead an attack on Asgard. This turns out to be a ruse and it's really the Angels Loki is betraying. Odin returns and everyone is reunited. Thor then goes back to Earth where he engages in the main OS storyline. During the storyline Nick Fury whispers a secret in Thors ear, Thor immediatly drops his hammer on the moon and is unable to pick it up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So after that issue, my bet on new Thor is the younger aspect of the All-Mother. Freya wasn't having any of Odin's poo poo.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I hope not it'd be dumb. "Whosoever holds this hammer, if she be worthy, shall possess the significantly less then her own power of Thor."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's Jane or Roz. An argument could be made for either, and Jane's even in space with the Asgardians right now.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Its either the Anihilblade gained sentience, Toruun the future forgotten daughter of Sif and Thor that I believe is currently stuck in the present, or one of two future grand daughters All Father Thor has that are blonde. Jane is too obvious a choice same with the All-Mother. Also Odin getting all blustery because the womens lib movement finally reached Asgardia is hilarious to read. He had that look of "man this place has gotten SO lame since I've been gone".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Odin seriously never learns a drat thing. "Blah blah blah let's go all hide in asgard and ditch earth for no real reason" "Hey you know Thor is of course going to earth like he always does, maybe he could use some help?" "You are stupid and wrong because I am always right and also a man." The misogyny seems new, but then I don't recall any specific instances of women challenging his tired old schtick.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Misogyny? No, Odin is 100% dick to everyone no matter what.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Misogyny? No, Odin is 100% dick to everyone no matter what.

I don't think anyone is really 100% dick...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I like that they addressed the obvious question right away, ie. never mind Thor, can't any of them pick the loving thing up and the answer is a firm NO, even to Odin. What prevents Volstagg from being worthy, I wonder. Is there a sub-clause etched in saying "*NO FAT DUDES"? And you'd think Fandral would be all right...

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The whisper was "Asgard is full of assholes"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yawgmoft posted:

The whisper was "Asgard is full of assholes"

That's what I'm thinking, joking aside.

Basically the thing about Mjolnor was it was made by Odin and for years it was the weapon no one could wield. I reckon everyone in Asgard had a crack at trying to wield it, but no one could. The only Asgardian who could get past the Worthiness enchantment before Thor did it was Odin himself. And that's largely because he was Odin and he pretty much put in a clause that said he could always do it.
(The only other people who could do it were a group of Asgardain sorcerers called the Enchanters and I think that was because they could just hack the Worthiness enchantment. And I think Bor also did, for the same reason Odin did.)

Given how they talked about the hammer being stubborn and it actively refused to let Odin pick it up, I think the secret Nick Fury revealed has to do with all of Asgard. Like the secret has broken Thor's faith in Asgard, but it has made Mjolnor itself become disgusted with Asgard. (Probably something like "Asgard started every war it's been in.")

If we follow that train of thought, then the new Thor probably has to be a Human, which means it's almost certainly Jane Foster. (Having been given some method of surviving in the Moon's atmosphere by Freya and sent out to help save the world.)

Unless it's Freya herself, but that doesn't really fit in with the message about the hammer turning it's back on Asgard.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Or maybe Mjolnir became sick of always being used and abused by the alpha male bro's of Asgard and decided that it was finally done with men for good.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'll put five down on The Enchantress.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is it supposed to be a mystery? I thought Aaron said it was a new character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Well remember how dragged out Red Hulk's identity was? Wait what do you mean you dont care?!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Aaron just said it's a character already from his run and you're not going to find out their identity for another few issues.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah okay. Turns out it's Loki.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Ah okay. Turns out it's Loki.

What? Where? It's almost certainly not going to be Loki, seeing as he's got his own ongoing already.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

krakagar posted:

What? Where? It's almost certainly not going to be Loki, seeing as he's got his own ongoing already.

Ah yes because no character has ever supported multiple ongoings.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It almost certainly isn't Loki, but it should be. Saying "The new lady Thor is actually his brother Loki" would be guaranteed to kill off a few of the people who got really mad about there being a lady Thor at all, which is clearly a net positive for the world.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I guess revealing the plot of Loki: Agent of Asgard to Thor would be one of the things Nick could've said to make the hammer fall.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

It almost certainly isn't Loki, but it should be. Saying "The new lady Thor is actually his brother Loki" would be guaranteed to kill off a few of the people who got really mad about there being a lady Thor at all, which is clearly a net positive for the world.

Genderqueer Thor would be just as angering to people, if not more, as woman Thor is.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I guess revealing the plot of Loki: Agent of Asgard to Thor would be one of the things Nick could've said to make the hammer fall.

But it doesn't explain why nobody else could. Unless Thor and Mjolnir now have some kind of link where he judges everyone unworthy and it's like "yeah they are all dicks bro". Maybe a bit of Allblack The Necroblade's near sentience rubbed off on it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Whenever I see this thread's title, my mind can't help but add "Mjolnir rages on, Mjolnir rages on!" Just throwing that out there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

But it doesn't explain why nobody else could. Unless Thor and Mjolnir now have some kind of link where he judges everyone unworthy and it's like "yeah they are all dicks bro". Maybe a bit of Allblack The Necroblade's near sentience rubbed off on it.

Didn't Freya flat-out say that the hammer's enchantment has apparently evolved, so not even Odin decides worthiness now, but Mjolnir itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Freya flat-out say that the hammer's enchantment has apparently evolved, so not even Odin decides worthiness now, but Mjolnir itself?

Furry should have whispered into the hammer then. Hell that makes a better action shot, Mjolnir headed to take his head off and with a whisper it freezes mere millimeters away, then falls to the moon dragging Thor with it.

• Locked thread