Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who's Clor?

Do you mean... Ragnarok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schneider Heim posted:

Who's Clor?

Do you mean... Ragnarok?

Yeah.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Loki still being on the list after the kiss is hilarious.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Kaleidoscope posted:

Is this really a big deal? It's the same author, it's a woman who clearly has feelings for Thor, it's someone who knows who Dario Agger is...I mean aside from the hair color (which could easily be handwaved away as "the magic of Mjolnir") it's pretty clearly Roz. Is it just that people want it explicitly spelled out? Does it even really matter? The identity seems less relevant than someone new being worthy of Mjolnir, that's pretty much all you *need* to know about their character right now for the story Aaron is telling.

I dunno. I think they have drug it out long enough. Too long actually. It is kinda distracting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's been five issues! I'm loving this slow build.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
As long as it does not take as long as it did for the Red Hulk.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm re-reading JMS' Thor. I like the thought of Asgard in bumfuck USA.

EDIT: Also Loki being a woman was awesome. Shoulda stuck it that way.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 14, 2015

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Last I saw of Ragnarok/Clor, he had the machinery removed from his head, got put in a machine that regenerated his body, and then going and picking up the hammer of an alternate universe's Thor and turning into Thunderstrike.
Comics, everybody!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

As long as it does not take as long as it did for the Red Hulk.

Unlike Red Hulk, these have been actually enjoyable issues, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, according to the May solicits, Aaron's dragging out the identity thing until #8. Which, hey, Odinson and co not knowing, that can last until #16, fine. But 8 issues where you're playing coy, and not allowing yourself to go into real detail in your leading lady because you're trying to do a surprise, is too long.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That makes me positive that it's Jane Foster because they don't have time to characterize anybody else. No amount of red herrings or straight up denials will convince me otherwise, hell if it's not I'm going to chalk it up to a last minute change because people guessed it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's still Roz, dude. Jane's never met Dario.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

OK, according to the May solicits, Aaron's dragging out the identity thing until #8. Which, hey, Odinson and co not knowing, that can last until #16, fine. But 8 issues where you're playing coy, and not allowing yourself to go into real detail in your leading lady because you're trying to do a surprise, is too long.

Yeah, pretty much this.

But I'm going to hold judgment until I've actually read the thing because, you know, we have no idea how it's actually going to play out and also well, it's almost certainly Roz anyway so it's not that big a mystery.

Aaron's bought enough goodwill from me with the rest of his run that I'm not too stressed about this.

My only real complaint about new Thor is that it so far has not reached the levels of Metal that made the previous run so awesome. I mean, there was pretty much no panel of that run that wouldn't have looked epic airbrushed on the side of a van.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Here's the thing. I haven't read any of the prior Aaron run. I jumped on with this new Thor because it sounded neat. I don't have the 'it's probably Roz' stuff to stand in for the background that Aaron's avoiding in order to keep the secret. I don't know who Roz is, so I can't use what I know about her to fill in the gaps. So I basically know that this lady is confused when she talks Ye Olde Fake Englishe, that she puts the hammer back, and doesn't like sexists. That's not a character.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Here's the thing. I haven't read any of the prior Aaron run. I jumped on with this new Thor because it sounded neat. I don't have the 'it's probably Roz' stuff to stand in for the background that Aaron's avoiding in order to keep the secret. I don't know who Roz is, so I can't use what I know about her to fill in the gaps. So I basically know that this lady is confused when she talks Ye Olde Fake Englishe, that she puts the hammer back, and doesn't like sexists. That's not a character.

That is a fair enough assessment of the current run and a totally reasonable attitude to have.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

krakagar posted:

That is a fair enough assessment of the current run and a totally reasonable attitude to have.

Agreed. Obviously we know why they didn't come out and treat this run like it is, a continuation of God of Thunder. It's a lot harder to get people to jump on if you tell them you really should read the previous 25 issues or whatever it is.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm supposed to treat it like a new series. But it makes more sense to me as part 2 of whatever story Aaron wants to tell.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Agreed. Obviously we know why they didn't come out and treat this run like it is, a continuation of God of Thunder. It's a lot harder to get people to jump on if you tell them you really should read the previous 25 issues or whatever it is.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm supposed to treat it like a new series. But it makes more sense to me as part 2 of whatever story Aaron wants to tell.

Yeah. I honestly didn't consider those who might be jumping onboard with this run. I should imagine that its a lot harder to get a hold on than I thought. I wonder if there is a huge portion of new readers who feel that way.

Also, if you are a new reader, is not knowing the new Thor's identity really that big a problem? Why is it so frustrating? Is it just because not knowing is so annoying? Or do you think it detracts from the character. I can certainly see that without knowing that side of the character, we have nothing to ground her, and she's just some kind of confused super-being. Or is more a problem of compression and story telling style? Some people just don't enjoy decompressed stories so much, and it can certainly be hard to get the balance action & progression with longer story arcs.

Personally, I'd like to know more about the person underneath the mask as I think it makes for a more interesting character, but like I said, I'm also happy to see it play out for now, as I trust the writer.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Wanderer posted:

It's still Roz, dude. Jane's never met Dario.

Jane is the only person the chunk of people who have hopped on for a female Thor can name, Roz is a red herring for people that have followed Aaron's entire run. Jane not having meet Dario on camera means bubkiss.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

krakagar posted:

Yeah. I honestly didn't consider those who might be jumping onboard with this run. I should imagine that its a lot harder to get a hold on than I thought. I wonder if there is a huge portion of new readers who feel that way.

Also, if you are a new reader, is not knowing the new Thor's identity really that big a problem? Why is it so frustrating? Is it just because not knowing is so annoying? Or do you think it detracts from the character. I can certainly see that without knowing that side of the character, we have nothing to ground her, and she's just some kind of confused super-being. Or is more a problem of compression and story telling style? Some people just don't enjoy decompressed stories so much, and it can certainly be hard to get the balance action & progression with longer story arcs.

Personally, I'd like to know more about the person underneath the mask as I think it makes for a more interesting character, but like I said, I'm also happy to see it play out for now, as I trust the writer.

It's not frustrating because of not knowing, although by dragging it out, that does become part of it. It's not even that she's not 'grounded', it's that she's basically not able to have ANY relationships or any specificity to her thoughts. She's a placeholder. Like, if the book was about Sif, you'd see her talking to the Warriors Three, maybe mention stuff she did in the past. In order to preserve the mystery, our new Thor has none of that.

I'm not disliking the series, but I think drawing it out more than 3 issues was a bad call, and more than 6 (which is what I assumed he was doing, because tpbs) is aggravating.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

It's not frustrating because of not knowing, although by dragging it out, that does become part of it. It's not even that she's not 'grounded', it's that she's basically not able to have ANY relationships or any specificity to her thoughts. She's a placeholder. Like, if the book was about Sif, you'd see her talking to the Warriors Three, maybe mention stuff she did in the past. In order to preserve the mystery, our new Thor has none of that.

I'm not disliking the series, but I think drawing it out more than 3 issues was a bad call, and more than 6 (which is what I assumed he was doing, because tpbs) is aggravating.

I think there's enough going on in the current story that being a 'placeholder' is not really a problem for me (I'm not really sure what you mean by that). She's still got plenty of stuff to do, it's interesting watching her try and work out what it's like to be Thor, and the Detective Thor stuff is pretty fun. Plus I'm enjoying all the villains reactions to her. So I don't really have the same issues. But, like I said, maybe the fact that I've read the previous run is colouring my experience.

Are you going to keep reading it or are you dropping it?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

New Thor isn't a placeholder nor does her identity really matter. It's more the story being told and the way Aaron has been writing his run.

Yes it's clearly Roz if you've been reading the book since the beginning (which really you should have been because it's a great book) but other than that her identity doesn't matter. What matters is that she's not Odinson and that pisses everybody else off.

From solicits it's not going to be issue 8 until they reveal who she is to every other character in story. It'd be different if the book was solely focusing on how Roz is dealing with being Thor and not showing her face but it's not, it's dealing with how Asgard reacts to it. Odin is obviously going to do dumb poo poo trying to figure out who it is and will get more whiny and make things worse focusing on this.

She's as much a character as present day Odinson was in God of Thunder, in fact she's very much like Young Odinson, brash and quick to punch people while being an introduction to Asgard from a human perspective.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just to derail identity chat:

Loki Agent of Asgard is shaping up to as good as, if not better, than Journey into Mystery. Ewing has knocked it right out of the park these last few issues dealing with SIXIS and JiM fallout.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
For real, if you aren't reading Loki, you are missing out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Old Loki is such a jerk. A yummy jerk.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Just to derail identity chat:

Loki Agent of Asgard is shaping up to as good as, if not better, than Journey into Mystery. Ewing has knocked it right out of the park these last few issues dealing with SIXIS and JiM fallout.

I wouldn't say it's as good as JiM, but it's picking up those dangling threads and doing something immensely satisfying with them. Especially as I kind of assumed this stuff would never be followed up on.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I thought the last issue of Thor was kind of terrible. The art was sucked (what was up with All Mother's hair/headpiece). Odin is acting like a spoiled child and being totally undignified. Yeah. Odin is not used to being defied but he just seemed a bit out of character. I am fine with Lady Thor but the story just isn't doing it for me. I think I might drop the series. (Am I the only one who hates the new logo?)

sporklift fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 20, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Odin's been a stupid, spoiled rear end in a top hat for years now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thor Annual: Old Thor story probably makes more sense if you were reading the prior run (again, this is the problem with the current trend of 'rebooting' books without actually rebooting.). Was still pretty fun, and the naming of the new Adam and Eve was sweet.

Current Thor story was great, as I'd expect from Stevenson. She just about managed a decent deflection of the Lady Thor issue without having to turn it into a 4 paragraph contextualisation of why it's a bad form of address when Odinson got addressed as Prince Thor and Lord Thor a lot, by turning it into more of a "please, my MOTHER is Lady Thor, I'm just Thor" kind of deal. And drinking party with the Warriors Three is always good fun. Might've been nice to throw Sif in, but maybe Aaron's saving that for the main book.

Young Thor story was... kinda disappointing. The art was nice and cartoony, fitting the intended tone, but Punk's pretty new at this writing thing, and it showed. He was aiming for breezy, broad comedy, and the whole thing. came off over-written.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Young Thor story was... kinda disappointing. The art was nice and cartoony, fitting the intended tone, but Punk's pretty new at this writing thing, and it showed. He was aiming for breezy, broad comedy, and the whole thing. came off over-written.

Art was the guy that does Chew. And was awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Punk may be inexperienced and wetting his feet but it was a pleasant and lighthearted story. It was cool. The drink names and the art were great though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was some heavy handed hinting at Roz which makes me think it's less likely to be her now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That was some heavy handed hinting at Roz which makes me think it's less likely to be her now.

I agree, no way that isn't a misdirect. They're probably working together with Thor being the distraction that allows Roz to complete whatever mission she's planned.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Any jobbing c-list heroes we should be throwing into the mix? It must be someone capable of reaching the moon, blue area or no.

Jane's totes gonna buy the farm, isn't she? :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thor going through the same logic as everyone else was pretty funny.

She had to be able to breathe on the moon, so she could only be a God. Wait no, Blue Area, so... but she still had to be able to reach the moon somehow...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm thinking it might be Jane, now, actually. Her using what little time she has left to selflessly help others, and refusing to take the 'easy' way out of her illness sounds like a good measure of worthiness to me. And it lets you do the closing of the story with her either finally passing away, or regular Thor regains the hammer, and as a parting gift, she gets de-cancered.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I'm thinking it might be Jane, now, actually. Her using what little time she has left to selflessly help others, and refusing to take the 'easy' way out of her illness sounds like a good measure of worthiness to me. And it lets you do the closing of the story with her either finally passing away, or regular Thor regains the hammer, and as a parting gift, she gets de-cancered.
Is there a chance it's multiple ladies, a la the animated Batman movie Mystery of the Batwoman? (not actually reading the comic, but still curious to who it is)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Is there a chance it's multiple ladies, a la the animated Batman movie Mystery of the Batwoman? (not actually reading the comic, but still curious to who it is)

It'd be a pretty big cheat, as Aaron's been using thought balloons to show us inside Thor's mind, and she seems pretty clearly one person that's hella confused by some of what she's doing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even though it would be a cheat I guess is could be Valkyrie and the thought bubbles could be from Annabelle Riggs if they wanted to follow up on that dumb thread from Fearless Defenders even though it seems already forgotten in other recent stories. I kind of doubt it though and I really hope not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess absolutely no twist at all and "yep, it's Roz" would actually qualify as a twist today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I guess absolutely no twist at all and "yep, it's Roz" would actually qualify as a twist today.

It did occur to me that the hard sell of "IT'S ROZ YOU GUYS, ODINSON ASKED COULSON AND COULSON COULDN'T FIND HER AND THEN WE CUT TO THOR!" is a double fake-out, making it so obvious that a lot of readers will assume it's a red herring. Except that's a very risky move, considering it relies on a large portion of the readership to have already guessed, and thus they're not going to be surprised anyway.

Also, Coulson has way more important stuff to do in his own book, than help Odinson invade a woman's privacy!

• Locked thread