Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Get the Simonson Omnibus.

I'll second this if it has the introduction of Beta Ray Bill. He's a character who manages to out-metal the titular Viking god. That takes some doing— even moreso now— but he still manages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ManiacClown posted:

I'll second this if it has the introduction of Beta Ray Bill. He's a character who manages to out-metal the titular Viking god. That takes some doing— even moreso now— but he still manages.

It's literally every Simonson issue. He's there.

I want that so much.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
How is no one talking about this new Thor issue? Ribic just hit another one out of the park.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It was simply perfect. Thor's "girlfriend" is the goddest thing of all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zachack posted:

No. You'd be better off getting a subscription to Marvel Unlimited. A ton of Thor comics are up on the service. I'll assume some are missing but it's hard to tell which because the organization is terrible. Still, it's really comprehensive, particularly for earlier stuff. Here's a link to Ego the Living Planet's first appearance.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/11460/thor_1966_132

Legit great story. If you like Thor in space, or just enjoy Jack Kirby's art, it's a must read. The ending is kind of rushed in one of those infamous times when Jack has to wrap his story up after bombarding us with the fantastic, pacing be damned.

Also check out the 160-169 for some more greatness involving what happens when a planet devourer meets a living planet, and a two issue smackdown between Thor and Him (Adam Warlock when he had muscles).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MORE SWINE FLESH AND BIRD EMBRYOS!

Breakfast has never been more :black101:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

MORE SWINE FLESH AND BIRD EMBRYOS!

Breakfast has never been more :black101:

BRING ME ALL OF THE SWINE FLESH AND BIRD EMBRYOS YOU HAVE

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Best Thor issue yet, no? Can't wait to have all these full-page Ribic masterworks in an oversized hardcover one day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That got super loving silly in the middle. Then immediately made my jaw drop in awe. I love this comic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Best Thor issue yet, no? Can't wait to have all these full-page Ribic masterworks in an oversized hardcover one day.

No Hardcover. They have to come on the side of vans :colbert:

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013
How has Aaron made both the villains so far just absolutely hate able? Its masterful just how much I want Thor to beat them, do all of Aaron's other works feature bad guys this evil?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I really did just want him to go all "Nope gently caress your summons. God of Thunder." and just start wailing on dudes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

aroundtheback posted:

How has Aaron made both the villains so far just absolutely hate able? Its masterful just how much I want Thor to beat them, do all of Aaron's other works feature bad guys this evil?

These guys are nothing compared to the Hellfire kids in terms of hateability.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thor Face:

hidden for those that don't want part of the plot spoilt.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That's hilarious. What the hell do they think is going to happen if he fails to comply, that a cop's just going to walk up to him and tell him to move on/try to arrest him? Yeah, good luck with that one, guys.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
looking forward to the Thor/She Hulk crossover arc.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Roxxon guy is mustache twirling cartoonishly evil and I love it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

coconono posted:

The Roxxon guy is mustache twirling cartoonishly evil and I love it.

He is literally a Captain Planet villain and I am loving this whole Thor-as-Captain Midgard arc.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Well that was a bad rear end issue.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The :black101: never stops flowing in Thor: God of Thunder.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The :black101: never stops flowing in Thor: God of Thunder.

You're drat right. Jason Aaron writes metal-as-gently caress comics like nobody's business. In something like Spider-Man or Captain America, "All-Black the Necrosword" would be laugh-inducingly out of place. In Thor? It's right where it belongs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, on August there's going to be a huge hardcover of the first arc. Up to issue 11. I'm loving getting it no doubt, but I'm a bit pissed off that issue 12 isn't included, it's the perfect epilogue.

Also this week's issue was amazing.

wait, poo poo, it might be ending maybe?? the trade for this arc comes out on july after the last issue of the arc's out, and then there's nothing on August besides the new hardcover.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 22, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
God I'm so hype to see the Annihilablade vs. Galactus.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It's been a while since the last two pages of a comic made me go "no waaaay... AWW YEAH". Well, at least two weeks? But hot drat am I psyched for the next issue of Thor: Cosmic Shitdestroyer.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I have the desperate hope that future ghost rider shows up in the galactus fight so we can hit maximum must be immortalized on the side of a van.

Plus his Ghost Rider run was boss.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I know people talk about Bendis playing the long game, what with his whole Skrull Invasion poo poo. And Hickman just goes for the long game from the beginning.

But Aaron plays the medium game, where he introduces awesome poo poo, and then has it actually pay off instead of whimper into the night. The entire god butcher arc leading to an awesome showdown between Thor and Galactus? The silly mini where Wolverine shot a phoenix bullet at a Planet Doom and now the villain of that story is in a major event?

The dude plans well. I can't wait to see what he jumps onto next.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

I have the desperate hope that future ghost rider shows up in the galactus fight so we can hit maximum must be immortalized on the side of a van.

Plus his Ghost Rider run was boss.

Ghost Rider would end it in seconds.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't normally care much about covers, but god drat, today's Thor? I'm gonna need a six foot tall version of it, airbrushed on velvet, thanks in advance. And make the lightning glow, please.

And as far as badass moments go, how about All-Black the All-Father: The God of Butchers: The Necro-Thor: Eater of World Eaters? That page should have had an AR thing that triggers a guitar solo so blistering it melts your phone. The ending of the issue mighta been a bit cheesy, but gently caress you if you don't like happy endings and Old Thor bringing the world back to life.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Today in Thor: Galactus: Butcher of Worlds. :black101: That is all.

Edit: Also it was cool of Thor to give Broxton/Little Asgard his whole drat palace. There needs to be a spin off book that's essentially like Cheers where Thor is bartending one of the thousands of bars in his house with a regular cast of characters including Broxton residents and Warriors Three.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 2, 2014

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jiro posted:

Today in Thor: Galactus: Butcher of Worlds. :black101: That is all.

I came here to post that same thing :black101:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There ought to be a scene or something in another book in a couple of years where somebody living in Thor's old place found the wine cellar and used it to open The Greatest Bar Ever.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Thor continues to be my favorite book. Galactus just starting laughing at the end was the best. And I so want to see Roxxon vs. Malekith.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm pretty new to Thor, and I'd like to know what other people think of Roz? I like her, but Jane Foster sounds really cool for a non-combatant love interest.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
OK I really love the Thor comics (especially beta ray bill) but do any of you guys know why they're so bad at hair colour? Thor is supposed to have red hair drat it and Sif is famous for her golden locks. Just a little niggle but it really irks me.

Bazooka Tooth
Nov 18, 2004
Rockin it, rockin it, clippership rockin it be the little guinea pig dig?

rock rock posted:

OK I really love the Thor comics (especially beta ray bill) but do any of you guys know why they're so bad at hair colour? Thor is supposed to have red hair drat it and Sif is famous for her golden locks. Just a little niggle but it really irks me.

Because Marvel Thor is blonde. The end.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Bazooka Tooth posted:

Because Marvel Thor is blonde. The end.

Truth. If they're bad at hair color, it's intentional by now because they've had it wrong for 50 years.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
If I remember correctly, Loki duped Sif and turned her hair black.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think this is the first arc of GoT I just didn't like that much solely based on the end. Because yeah, I know that every comic doesn't have to have a perfect little happy ending, but the whole thing just has such a feeling of defeat. Agger/the Minotaur gets off scot-free while still being a smug shitlord, Broxton is destroyed, and the Asgardians get effectively chased off Earth. Sure, Thor gives the displaced Broxton residents his castle, Roz gets to sock Agger in the jaw, and King Thor saved/basically rebirthed the Earth in the far-flung future, but the whole ending just left me wondering "So this is it?", looking for some page I missed where I was supposed to feel good about the day being saved. Maybe I'm bitter just because I really liked Broxton as a setting. This little rural town being the home of a massive floating island of Norse gods is really just a nice backdrop, even if not that many Thor stories take place there (I mean, it's not his Gotham City or anything). I'm sure Aaron or other writers might do stories revisiting Thor's Castle/"Little Asgard" and its residents but it just won't be the same to me.

Also while the Butcher of Worlds sounds badass, I'm concerned that such a thing could easily turn into a rehash of the God Butcher arc and/or this one. Just King Thor throwing down with All-Black the Galactus. Like, it'd be cool, but it'd be stuff we've seen.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I trust Aaron to do something cool with the Butcher of Worlds and it'll probably be an arc or two from now so it won't feel immediately stale.

Asgardians in Broxton kinda ran it's course. It didn't feel like anyone was doing anything with the idea after Siege and they used the best idea early with Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Has anything really ended well so far for Thor since he killed Gorr (and it looks like even that might not be turning out so hot)? Maleketh is alive and well with god level diplomatic immunity, a war of realms is forming, Jane has cancer, and the hot dark elf is in superjail. I'm pretty sure we're building up to something.

• Locked thread