Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Ah okay. Turns out it's Loki.

What? Where? It's almost certainly not going to be Loki, seeing as he's got his own ongoing already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

OK, according to the May solicits, Aaron's dragging out the identity thing until #8. Which, hey, Odinson and co not knowing, that can last until #16, fine. But 8 issues where you're playing coy, and not allowing yourself to go into real detail in your leading lady because you're trying to do a surprise, is too long.

Yeah, pretty much this.

But I'm going to hold judgment until I've actually read the thing because, you know, we have no idea how it's actually going to play out and also well, it's almost certainly Roz anyway so it's not that big a mystery.

Aaron's bought enough goodwill from me with the rest of his run that I'm not too stressed about this.

My only real complaint about new Thor is that it so far has not reached the levels of Metal that made the previous run so awesome. I mean, there was pretty much no panel of that run that wouldn't have looked epic airbrushed on the side of a van.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Here's the thing. I haven't read any of the prior Aaron run. I jumped on with this new Thor because it sounded neat. I don't have the 'it's probably Roz' stuff to stand in for the background that Aaron's avoiding in order to keep the secret. I don't know who Roz is, so I can't use what I know about her to fill in the gaps. So I basically know that this lady is confused when she talks Ye Olde Fake Englishe, that she puts the hammer back, and doesn't like sexists. That's not a character.

That is a fair enough assessment of the current run and a totally reasonable attitude to have.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Agreed. Obviously we know why they didn't come out and treat this run like it is, a continuation of God of Thunder. It's a lot harder to get people to jump on if you tell them you really should read the previous 25 issues or whatever it is.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm supposed to treat it like a new series. But it makes more sense to me as part 2 of whatever story Aaron wants to tell.

Yeah. I honestly didn't consider those who might be jumping onboard with this run. I should imagine that its a lot harder to get a hold on than I thought. I wonder if there is a huge portion of new readers who feel that way.

Also, if you are a new reader, is not knowing the new Thor's identity really that big a problem? Why is it so frustrating? Is it just because not knowing is so annoying? Or do you think it detracts from the character. I can certainly see that without knowing that side of the character, we have nothing to ground her, and she's just some kind of confused super-being. Or is more a problem of compression and story telling style? Some people just don't enjoy decompressed stories so much, and it can certainly be hard to get the balance action & progression with longer story arcs.

Personally, I'd like to know more about the person underneath the mask as I think it makes for a more interesting character, but like I said, I'm also happy to see it play out for now, as I trust the writer.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

It's not frustrating because of not knowing, although by dragging it out, that does become part of it. It's not even that she's not 'grounded', it's that she's basically not able to have ANY relationships or any specificity to her thoughts. She's a placeholder. Like, if the book was about Sif, you'd see her talking to the Warriors Three, maybe mention stuff she did in the past. In order to preserve the mystery, our new Thor has none of that.

I'm not disliking the series, but I think drawing it out more than 3 issues was a bad call, and more than 6 (which is what I assumed he was doing, because tpbs) is aggravating.

I think there's enough going on in the current story that being a 'placeholder' is not really a problem for me (I'm not really sure what you mean by that). She's still got plenty of stuff to do, it's interesting watching her try and work out what it's like to be Thor, and the Detective Thor stuff is pretty fun. Plus I'm enjoying all the villains reactions to her. So I don't really have the same issues. But, like I said, maybe the fact that I've read the previous run is colouring my experience.

Are you going to keep reading it or are you dropping it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Just to derail identity chat:

Loki Agent of Asgard is shaping up to as good as, if not better, than Journey into Mystery. Ewing has knocked it right out of the park these last few issues dealing with SIXIS and JiM fallout.

I wouldn't say it's as good as JiM, but it's picking up those dangling threads and doing something immensely satisfying with them. Especially as I kind of assumed this stuff would never be followed up on.

• Locked thread