Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Some moron miner set the asteroid refinery on fire and the station burned down while builders and miners kept on mining around the fire. :saddowns:

How do I clean up all these dead bodies all over the station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Some moron miner set the asteroid refinery on fire and the station burned down while builders and miners kept on mining around the fire. :saddowns:

How do I clean up all these dead bodies all over the station?

You don't! At least not for an alpha or two.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

ModeSix posted:

How do you get the discount? Does it automagically figure it out from your Steam library or did you buy it somewhere else?

I have Psychonauts in my steam library, and haven't done anything else that should warrant a discount, so I suppose it's enough to have bought a Double-Fine game through Steam.

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

ModeSix posted:

How do you get the discount? Does it automagically figure it out from your Steam library or did you buy it somewhere else?

I have most of the DF games, it's listing as $25 for me. Not sure what's going on, or if it's judging by method obtained (retail, humble bundles, etc).

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

MegaGatts posted:

I played DF a lot, I'm going to play this because it's kinda like DF but in space and space is really rad. I'm pretty sure most DF players have a similar train of thought.

Yup, this is true for me too. I love Dwarf Fortress but I am always looking for more types of these kind of games. Clockwork Empires, Rimworld, Maia, Prison Architect, and now this, the genre has gotten a fantastic amount of great stuff recently. Although most have more to do with games like Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital or Evil Genius than Dwarf Fortress. (Which personally was my problem with Gnomoria, it plays like a sane man's Dwarf Fortress but I am already a crazy person who can understand how to play Dwarf Fortress so it doesn't do anything for me.)

Anyway this looks pretty rad!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My mechanic seems to destroy equipment 3/4 of the time, and repair things 1/4 of the time. He just broke one of the oxygen dealies. He is 3* too, and the best mechanic I have.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Cool, they've already put out a hotfix patch:

quote:

WASD keys now pan the camera in Inspect Mode.
Fixed: Construct Mode drag commands cause framerate hitches on Linux systems.
Fixed: Asteroids are invisible when starting a new base with cutaway view enabled.
Fixed: Placing a Fusion Reactor crashes the game.
Fixed: Rugs sort in front of people.
Fixed: Various crashes based on our top crash reports. (Note: to disable automated crash reporting, set “crash_reporting” to false in bootconfig.cfg in the game’s save directory.)
Soundtrack: Reduced file size by converting WAV files to FLAC lossless codec.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

My mechanic seems to destroy equipment 3/4 of the time, and repair things 1/4 of the time. He just broke one of the oxygen dealies. He is 3* too, and the best mechanic I have.

Yeah that could stand to be tuned a bit. Even a 4 star tech only repairs things about 60% of the time.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Well that answers my question about whether or not they would bugfix releases in between larger updates.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Any idea how to run this in a window in OSX?

Orv
May 4, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Any idea how to run this in a window in OSX?

What's the equivalent of My Docs on OSX? Presumably either in there or in the game folder itself is a file called bootconfig.cfg that you can open with a text editor and change launchfullscreen to false.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Man I wish I hadn't just given Star Citizen more of my money, otherwise I would pick this up in a second.

Looks like it will be a great combination of SS13, Prison Architect, and Dwarf Fortress.

Is the alpha version released so far frustrating to play with obnoxious bugs or is it perfectly fine for this stage of the build?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Super fun little buggy alpha so far, but I'm a little concerned with how they handle derelicts. Having big chunks of terrain appear out of nowhere and just kind float there is kind of annoying, especially since there isn't a good way to deal with tearing stuff down. So far I've had one station get attacked by a pirate ship twice it's size (btw, if everyone dies, the game keeps going), and another get mysteriously surrounded by six identical derelicts. Also, I lost two crew cause they weren't smart enough to figure out how to tear apart a spaceroom from the outside... It'd be cool if there was a more sandboxy mode, where'd you get attacked by ships, but they wouldn't become part of the space terrain, or if you could demolish things with explosives, so getting rid of ships and stuff is more convenient than having your builders tear it down bit by bit.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 16, 2013

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Dunite posted:

Man I wish I hadn't just given Star Citizen more of my money, otherwise I would pick this up in a second.

Looks like it will be a great combination of SS13, Prison Architect, and Dwarf Fortress.

Is the alpha version released so far frustrating to play with obnoxious bugs or is it perfectly fine for this stage of the build?

It has been fairly playable for me so far, just a bit sparse. There isn't much to do once you get your initial base built, though that's because it is still early. Fusion reactors, which don't currently do anything crashed the game when you built them, but that has already been patched so they are at least actively fixing bugs. If you're on the fence I would wait for a major update or two, but it does seem promising.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Valen posted:

It has been fairly playable for me so far, just a bit sparse. There isn't much to do once you get your initial base built, though that's because it is still early. Fusion reactors, which don't currently do anything crashed the game when you built them, but that has already been patched so they are at least actively fixing bugs. If you're on the fence I would wait for a major update or two, but it does seem promising.

Only reason I would hold off is for lack of funds.
I love Prison Architect but I have a hard time finding the time to sit down and work on it for a bit.
Played SS13 for a while before drifting off and thoroughly enjoyed it so I would like to see if or how much this will emulate that game.
It is encouraging to see that even this early no game breaking bugs are ruining the release.
Hope they can keep up the momentum and really get the game going.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I definitely want to pick this up, but I think a lot of people will probably be better served by waiting for a phase or to before they pick it up. The game will still be there a couple months down the road.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dunite posted:

Only reason I would hold off is for lack of funds.

There definitely isn't $20 worth of content here yet. It's a neat tech demo but you can see all the game has to offer in about an hour. It's fun though, if they streamline the UI a bit it should be really fun once they add content and fix bugs.

I saw a couple irritating bugs. If your airlock is heavily trafficked, the AI will get confused and people will come in from outside before other people have finished a cycle. This causes the people in the airlock to freak out and put their suits back on, then go back outside. If they are carrying something like rock, they will drop it on the floor and forget about it. The rocks will never be touched again. Also, if you try to demolish said rocks the demolisher will endlessly work away until you save and load the game.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 16, 2013

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

So do characters in the game show any personality at all? Basically I am curious if there is any emergent gameplay. Gnomoria is fun but without any emergent stuff happening I eventually get bored and quit playing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Orv posted:

What's the equivalent of My Docs on OSX? Presumably either in there or in the game folder itself is a file called bootconfig.cfg that you can open with a text editor and change launchfullscreen to false.

Confirm, thanks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

rabidsquid posted:

So do characters in the game show any personality at all? Basically I am curious if there is any emergent gameplay. Gnomoria is fun but without any emergent stuff happening I eventually get bored and quit playing.
They all have various likes and dislikes and form friendships based on that and gossip about people, then if someone dies or whatever that makes their friends sad. And so on. So yeah the plan is to have all sorts of emergent stuff based on the particularities of various characters.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

the plan is to have all sorts of emergent stuff

I get what you're saying, but this kind of thing always sounds silly. "Barry, make that video go viral!" Still, as one of the many people who've failed to overcome DF's unfriendliness, this game has got me interested.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
So, I bought in and played a couple of hours.

First base I got running, the crew dicks around with airlock hatches and vents atmosphere into space.

I started again, and the base went better, they actually cycled through the airlock one by one, and started mining an asteroid. Then a derelict ship showed up and I sent the guy with the highest Security ranking to go check it out. He cycles into the derelict, and gets as far as the room past the airlock, then turns around, cycles back out, and returns to base. For his valiant service I have renamed him to Laurence Fishburne. Then some space chicken messages me and says my base is of a shape offensive to its religion. Naturally I tell it to go gently caress itself, and it boards me right through the life support room. And Lawrence goddamn Fishburne singlehandedly fought off the invasion, then put out the burning O2 scrubbers, and went back to playing his handheld game.

This is some impressive poo poo for the first public alpha.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Someone just entered my base (which had a bar and everything) and killed all my dudes.

Goddammit.

It's a little barebones but as long as they keep adding stuff it should be good.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My entire security team of six crack commandos just got trapped in an airless doorway and died, mere inches from a fully oxygenated atmosphere.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Lazermaniac posted:

First base I got running, the crew dicks around with airlock hatches and vents atmosphere into space.

I started again, and the base went better, they actually cycled through the airlock one by one, and started mining an asteroid. Then a derelict ship showed up and I sent the guy with the highest Security ranking to go check it out. He cycles into the derelict, and gets as far as the room past the airlock, then turns around, cycles back out, and returns to base. For his valiant service I have renamed him to Laurence Fishburne. Then some space chicken messages me and says my base is of a shape offensive to its religion. Naturally I tell it to go gently caress itself, and it boards me right through the life support room. And Lawrence goddamn Fishburne singlehandedly fought off the invasion, then put out the burning O2 scrubbers, and went back to playing his handheld game.

Yup, I laughed long and hard at this.

Because my 5 star security officer came on a Canadian space bus I named him A Space Canadian. He had 15 pirate kills under his belt before he accidentally spaced himself in a firefight by blowing an airlock door up.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

My entire security team of six crack commandos just got trapped in an airless doorway and died, mere inches from a fully oxygenated atmosphere.

One of my guys did this after single-handedly fending off an invasion. The guy was smart enough to find a choke point but not open the door right in front of him.

Edit: he did it single-handedly because his co-workers were too busy playing on their space 3DS' and getting drunk at the bar :downs:

Valen fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 16, 2013

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

:xcom:

Wait, no it's not.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Just a heads up. If anybody wants this and can't get the 20% off, hit me up on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/teh_sid) and if you can paypal, I can gift it to you for $19.99usd rather then $24.99usd.

I'm sure most of you are able to get the discount, but I know some people can't.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

tehsid posted:

Just a heads up. If anybody wants this and can't get the 20% off, hit me up on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/teh_sid) and if you can paypal, I can gift it to you for $19.99usd rather then $24.99usd.

I'm sure most of you are able to get the discount, but I know some people can't.

Discount?

But I wanted my name in the credits. :negative:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Although I could never get the hang of playing it myself, reading LPs of Dwarf Fortress is incredibly entertaining, largely because of the 600 different types of beards, and variety of hilarious bugs and unintended shenanigans. You're herding around a city full of Dwarves, of course they will do unexpected and crazy things sometimes, that is people being people, and it's made for some incredibly amusing stories. I'm very excited at the prospect of a Dwarf Fortress in space, that I can actually play myself.

Eponymous posted:

I get what you're saying, but this kind of thing always sounds silly. "Barry, make that video go viral!"

Just wanted to point out that this is not at all the same thing. It's more akin to saying "Barry, go make a video with these generic special effects, then keep updating it with better compositing and effects!" They have the basics in there, and they will have to do a lot more work to get it there, but it's certainly not out of their hands in any way, as it would be with making a video go viral.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

Everything is called Space-noun. Spacebeds. Spacerugs.

Magnets.

Incase the artificial gravity shuts off, your bed won't fling you into the air.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SlayVus posted:

Magnets.

Incase the artificial gravity shuts off, your bed won't fling you into the air.

Wouldn't it be easier to just bolt the furniture down? Bolts cost less than powerful magnets.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
In this case the bed IS bolted down, and you're probably wearing magnetic bracelets and anklets to keep you semi-attached to the bed in case the ArG goes AWOL. Or flexible straps, or whatever.

Just bought and tried out the game and while I like it, well, the AI, especially for combat, could use some work. One of my workers was infected with a parasite, and after my security officer gunned the thing down, she then proceeded to go on a laser-scorched berserk murder spree across the nearby derelicts - looks to me the 'shoot an enemy' task didn't get wiped off her worklist when the bug died, so she started systematically seeking out more enemies. This only ended after a raider gunned her down while she was chilling in her spacesuit, waiting for the airlock to cycle - she never responded to the raider appearing, just floated there until she was full of photons. My guess is, she had locked onto an enemy in a different derelict and the living raider in the airlock with her prevented the lock form cycling, leaving her stuck in her suit.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Drake_263 posted:

In this case the bed IS bolted down, and you're probably wearing magnetic bracelets and anklets to keep you semi-attached to the bed in case the ArG goes AWOL. Or flexible straps, or whatever.

Just bought and tried out the game and while I like it, well, the AI, especially for combat, could use some work. One of my workers was infected with a parasite, and after my security officer gunned the thing down, she then proceeded to go on a laser-scorched berserk murder spree across the nearby derelicts - looks to me the 'shoot an enemy' task didn't get wiped off her worklist when the bug died, so she started systematically seeking out more enemies. This only ended after a raider gunned her down while she was chilling in her spacesuit, waiting for the airlock to cycle - she never responded to the raider appearing, just floated there until she was full of photons. My guess is, she had locked onto an enemy in a different derelict and the living raider in the airlock with her prevented the lock form cycling, leaving her stuck in her suit.

This sounds more like a delightful feature than a bug. :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lazermaniac posted:

Now i'm going to be severely disappointed if one of the end-game derelicts isn't something straight out of "Event Horizon".

Or at the very least there aren't any mod tools. Since the ship was basically just something out of Warhammer 40K anyways. :v:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I player around with it for about an hour last night and for an alpha I it's not only looking great, but has also some stuff in it I thought would be added last (spacemen BFFs/enemies, likes/dislikes etc.).

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Could not have been more perfect if i had named her myself.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'll probably get as soon they fix the whole dudes clipping through the base while in space bug.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the panacea posted:

I player around with it for about an hour last night and for an alpha I it's not only looking great, but has also some stuff in it I thought would be added last (spacemen BFFs/enemies, likes/dislikes etc.).

Nah, that kinda stuff I can see them having to work in from the start if they want to work it in at all, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DrManiac posted:

I'll probably get as soon they fix the whole dudes clipping through the base while in space bug.

The thing where they just kinda fly through things? I assume that's less a bug and more lack of a higher/lower levels right now.

• Locked thread