Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:psyduck: Pirates just docked with a deralict I had built a corridor to but hadn't breached yet. They and the monster instead killed each other.

I also love making individual rooms.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This looks pretty cool, I got a good giggle out of them rationalising the thoughts and feelings stats as being the person's posts on SpaceBook.

I might have to buy this.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is this currently a better game than Space Colony, a thing available on GoG which has kinda similar aesthetics, or is it just a different kettle of fish entirely?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

jBrereton posted:

Is this currently a better game than Space Colony, a thing available on GoG which has kinda similar aesthetics, or is it just a different kettle of fish entirely?
I very briefly thought you were jpLebreton, as in JP LeBreton, as in the lead designer of this thing. Way to get my hopes up. At least we have Chris Remo here.

I know gently caress all about Space Colony HD though so good luck with your query.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
And here I thought I was the only person that ever played Space Colony.

They do have a weirdly similar vibe. You start out with a small colony of people and you build up a base while having them go out and harvest food/resources. Everyone has a different skillset and some of them have personality clashes (though in that game you just had them endlessly talk out their differences over lunch and everyone would end up liking each other). It's more of an objective style game with a campaign where everything happens in the same order and you always have the same characters with the same starting skills.

I haven't gotten to play Spacebase yet though so I can't directly compare the two.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
This game looks awesome, if anyone streams it please give a heads up so I can make my decision if I should pick it up now :)

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Spent the past few hours of this morning playing this, it shows a lot of promise but I wouldn't recommend jumping in on it right now. I won't be uninstalling it but I expect I won't be playing it again for at least a few months. This is an early early alpha, very few features. You can get a base up and running that can survive on its own but there's not really anything you can do beyond get the oxygen plants running and hope against frequent attacks by raiders.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Danith posted:

This game looks awesome, if anyone streams it please give a heads up so I can make my decision if I should pick it up now :)

The only reasons you should pick it up now is if you think that your purchase will support future development of this game, or if the idea of the game thrills you and you need to scratch that itch. There is absolutely not $20 worth of content here yet.

Warpigeon
Aug 8, 2002
Daddy

Jack Trades posted:

Steam Forums are so loving toxic.
There are always morons complaining about how Early Access games aren't finished products and how they're way overprices for the current amount of content, completely missing the loving point of Early Access game in the first place.

Valve should just add an explanation to each Early Access game's store page in huge flashing red letters.

I've been wanting to make a game just like this for over a decade.

How do I go about telling the developers I am passionate about this game and I want to sperg about it in hopes that they listen to me (and thus make the game better)?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You should probably make an account on their forum and be active, helpful, and polite.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Warpigeon posted:

I've been wanting to make a game just like this for over a decade.

How do I go about telling the developers I am passionate about this game and I want to sperg about it in hopes that they listen to me (and thus make the game better)?

Go to the DF forums, make conversation, not demands and you'll have a good time!

Warpigeon
Aug 8, 2002
Daddy
I suppose it's time to have a very polite good time.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Chris Remo, one of the developers, is also a Goon and watches this thread. So, you know, you can just mention that the game is a lot of fun already right here.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What exactly is in this game right now?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What exactly is in this game right now?

Your name.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Chris Remo, one of the developers, is also a Goon and watches this thread. So, you know, you can just mention that the game is a lot of fun already right here.
this game is a lot of fun, thanks Chris!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

:3: My base is coming along quite nicely. We've had the NICEST pirates and raiders so far. They've all gleefully attached themselves in the dumbest possible places where it was quite easy to dismantle a wall and send them into the void.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:3: My base is coming along quite nicely. We've had the NICEST pirates and raiders so far. They've all gleefully attached themselves in the dumbest possible places where it was quite easy to dismantle a wall and send them into the void.

Haha, I love that you build individual quarters for each citizen. Super good.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chris Remo posted:

Haha, I love that you build individual quarters for each citizen. Super good.

It'd be nice if I could assign those quarters because right now it's super creepy that one person will be sleeping and my bartender, who shoulder be serving drink but is lazy, likes to visit each room and just stare until he finds an empty bed to lay down.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
My biggest complaints so far is that the dismantle/erase drag box doesn't affect floors, and I can't change the angle on the camera to line things up better. It's not essential, but goddamnit, it makes building my pretty princess base that much harder with all these floors floating around. :argh:

Think Techs could also use a higher chance to fix things as well. Decided to expand slowly, with only two Oxygen Converters/Matter Refinery, but 3 Techs that were all 3 star. After about 20-30 minutes everything was in flames and at 0-10%. Occasionally one of them would get lucky and add another 10% on to something, but then it'd be used, and go right back down to 0%. I'm basically forced to put fire extinguishers in every room just in case, because Techs are unable to hold up their weight. They might be better at 8-9 stars, but I can rely on 2-3 star Security/Miners/Builders just fine.

Also slightly better combat AI.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It'd be nice if I could assign those quarters because right now it's super creepy that one person will be sleeping and my bartender, who shoulder be serving drink but is lazy, likes to visit each room and just stare until he finds an empty bed to lay down.

Well, that's included in the list of "Things that will be in the game ( hopefully ) before launch", so I assume it'll make it in.

I'm mainly curious as to where they go. From the sound of things, doctors/med labs, botanists/gardens, food/food needs/cooking, personal belongings/rooms, janitors, power needs, passing laws, research/scientists, planet/other base exploration, and just QoL "dwarf fortress AI" stuff is planned for prelaunch. But where do they go from launch? Will they keep adding new things as it goes? The list of "stuff till launch" seems pretty feature complete, so I'm curious where they go from there.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 18, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

My biggest complaints so far is that the dismantle/erase drag box doesn't affect floors, and I can't change the angle on the camera to line things up better. It's not essential, but goddamnit, it makes building my pretty princess base that much harder. :argh:

You can actually use dismantle on floors, but it's a bit non-intuitive. Essentially, if you click and drag the square ONLY over floor tiles or empty space, it will select the floor for dismantling. However if you get even a single wall or object in that selection, it will ignore all the floor tiles and only designate walls/objects instead.

Also the "erase" button is a bit misleading as well - what it does is erase things you've DESIGNATED - i.e. it cancels construction orders or dismantling orders. It is not used to remove things that have already be built.

I'm hoping camera rotation will be added at some point as well. It bugs me that you can only build things on the West/North walls because it's set up with the assumption that you'll never be able to see the South/East ones.

*edit*

I've been sort of mentally putting together a big "Things I think would be cool to see in game" post for the Double Fine forums, and one of the big elements is to look at some of the more interesting aspects of Spacestation 13 that are distinct from things you'd find in Dwarf Fortress, like command structure, atmospherics, etc.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 18, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, citizens having a greater degree of ownership of certain objects and rooms would go a very long way towards making the game a much more interesting experience. It would also be cool to have more objects for bedrooms so I can build lavish rooms for the people in command. And with that said, I'd like to actually see them take some sort of organizational structure where you have leaders/officers who are of a higher class and demand nicer things. That part isn't in the dev plan but I hope they consider something like that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 19, 2013

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It seem that after a while your delightful little idiots lose the last of their brain cells and just go off to space themselves while "fighting the enemy". I've lost five now that have floated to the corner of the map and then died. Their floating corpses bobbing up and down and greeting every passing ship.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
One thing that would also be nice would be to be able to designate doors when initially planning out rooms. I've had a couple of times when I've queued up a build order, and then had to sit there babysitting them while they build all the walls before putting a door on so they didn't get trapped on the inside.

This is a pretty minor gripe though. Obviously a lot of the content is missing as yet, but the feel of the game is lovely. It looks like they're putting a LOT of effort into the UI, and it shows - I find it very intuitive, and love the way the menus snap in and out. It's almost a pleasure just to navigate around clicking on things.

Is there a way of removing an object once it's built, beyond destroying the floor/wall it's on? I couldn't seem to find one. That would be pretty useful, I find I also have to pepper the walls with fire extinguishers, especially in life support, and my inner sperglord is being driven quietly mad by the fact that one of them is mis-aligned.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

boatiemathmo posted:

One thing that would also be nice would be to be able to designate doors when initially planning out rooms. I've had a couple of times when I've queued up a build order, and then had to sit there babysitting them while they build all the walls before putting a door on so they didn't get trapped on the inside.

This is a pretty minor gripe though. Obviously a lot of the content is missing as yet, but the feel of the game is lovely. It looks like they're putting a LOT of effort into the UI, and it shows - I find it very intuitive, and love the way the menus snap in and out. It's almost a pleasure just to navigate around clicking on things.

Is there a way of removing an object once it's built, beyond destroying the floor/wall it's on? I couldn't seem to find one. That would be pretty useful, I find I also have to pepper the walls with fire extinguishers, especially in life support, and my inner sperglord is being driven quietly mad by the fact that one of them is mis-aligned.

You should be able to single click an object to destroy it (instead of drag-selecting it). Also thanks for the nice words re the UI.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

This does not bode well:

His second to last thought was brilliant though:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Seems like the future desperately needs to invent doctors.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

Seems like the future desperately needs to invent doctors.

It's on the dev plan chart!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It'd be nice if the game actually had people happier when they get individual quarters rather than generic barracks.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Pirates docked to my base, but thankfully it was to an annex to my pub that was not yet finished.

Then more pirated docked...directly to the other pirate's umbilical. Sometimes they float out into space, just to get shot to poo poo.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I thought the DF-9 was reference to Deep Space 9, but Dwarf Fortress is even better.

Downloading know, cannot wait to die horribly in space.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think DF-9 is for Double Fine.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rookersh posted:

Think Techs could also use a higher chance to fix things as well. Decided to expand slowly, with only two Oxygen Converters/Matter Refinery, but 3 Techs that were all 3 star. After about 20-30 minutes everything was in flames and at 0-10%. Occasionally one of them would get lucky and add another 10% on to something, but then it'd be used, and go right back down to 0%. I'm basically forced to put fire extinguishers in every room just in case, because Techs are unable to hold up their weight. They might be better at 8-9 stars, but I can rely on 2-3 star Security/Miners/Builders just fine.

I think this is a bug. In alpha A1, techs wouldn't really do much, now they gleefully toss matches into the oxygen machines. I think my life support room bursts into flames every couple minutes or so, even with a pair of four star techs.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 19, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kris xK posted:

I thought the DF-9 was reference to Deep Space 9, but Dwarf Fortress is even better.

Downloading know, cannot wait to die horribly in space.

It obviously is a reference to Deep Space 9 but there's room for more than one reference!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

boatiemathmo posted:

They need to do it more the theme hospital way.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I had a nice base going. A pub, individual sleeping sleeping quarters with nice rugs and poo poo and dual airlocks for mining operations at either end. There was a derelict nearby when technician Anna Miller decided to go check it out. Her status when I moused over her said 'Fighting an enemy'.

Oh no.

In the derelict there was, of course, a space worm. It, of course, killed poor Anna in the airlock. Now, as soon as I had seen this wretched creature I had sent my security division wreak terrible justice for Anna's untimely death. However, the parasite decided to take up residence in the airlock, meaning I couldn't open the airlock deal with the fiend. So my entire security force is stuck in perpetuity outside this derelict. Additionally, another technician decided to come over to do some routine maintenance and got stuck outside the airlock as well. Eventually I managed to do away with the foul beast by sending a builder over to demolish part of the airlock wall, who then promptly disappeared (either a glitch or the parasite ate him). Here's a screenshot I took of the worm floating about after I spaced him.

gently caress you, worm.

Meanwhile, ANOTHER parasite appeared in my main base. But with my entire security division stuck outside the derelict, there was little I could do but watch as the parasite ran wild around the base, murdering my crew while 4 security officers and a technician slowly suffocated themselves to death waiting outside of an empty, once parasite infected derelict.

Basically this is the best game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kris xK posted:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think DF-9 is for Double Fine.

I'm pretty sure it's d) all of the above.

Warpigeon
Aug 8, 2002
Daddy

Mustard Snobbery posted:

I had a nice base going. A pub, individual sleeping sleeping quarters with nice rugs and poo poo and dual airlocks for mining operations at either end. There was a derelict nearby when technician Anna Miller decided to go check it out. Her status when I moused over her said 'Fighting an enemy'.

Oh no.

Basically this is the best game.

There's nothing more tantalizing than watching something you build get the poo poo knocked out of it by stuff. It's an odd feeling of "gently caress gently caress no" and "it looks really cool as it burns". Also the remorse you feel when a crewman dies.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My amazing security force of 5 Hand Picked Rambo Space Frogs all loving suffocated chasing a raider space lizard around a rock Benny Hill style. Somehow the Raider how ten seconds more air than they all did and managed to just not make the airlock dock before dying himself. The fucker. I hope it was slow and painful.

I really wish I had recorded the whole thing cause I would have slapped Yakkity Sax on it in a heartbeat and posted that bitch here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So I just bought this now, and with some amusement I realized that half of my 'friends who also play Spacebase DF-9' list is made up of actual double-fine employees.

Reason being: I had friended them way back during the Amnesia Fortnight to coop play Brazen's prototype. I still chat sometimes with some of them - I informed them that I managed to sneak a cameo of a Psychonauts character into the Axe Cop tv show that I'm a cleanup artist on too. (The episode hasn't aired so I can't show the screenshot as of yet.)

• Locked thread