Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SlayVus posted:

Magnets.

Incase the artificial gravity shuts off, your bed won't fling you into the air.

Wouldn't it be easier to just bolt the furniture down? Bolts cost less than powerful magnets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

the panacea posted:

I player around with it for about an hour last night and for an alpha I it's not only looking great, but has also some stuff in it I thought would be added last (spacemen BFFs/enemies, likes/dislikes etc.).

Personalities give the game personality. One of the problems/disappointments with Gnomoria is that the gnomes have no personality. Make your gnomes live in a miserable squalor and the only consequence is that they spend a little more time sleeping and a little less time working.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Seems like the future desperately needs to invent doctors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Party Plane Jones posted:

The game is pretty interesting but they really should have dialed the derelicts down a bit. I played for like half an hour and had half a dozen sitting in space outside my station and one docked.

They probably will, once there are more other things going on. They don't want the alpha players telling everyone that this is a game where nothing at all happens.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Underwhelmed posted:

My spacemans seriously need some airlock safety training. Goddamn, the worm that burst out of my bartender never got a chance to kill any of my crew because most of them got sucked out an airlock while in various states of undress on their way to fight said worm. Then a bunch of religious zealots showed up, docked with the room the worm was in, and when they opened fire on the one single security guy that got through and eluded death by open airlock, blew a hole in the wall and depressurized half the station killing themselves, the worm, and the survivor.

How does blowing the airlock or blowing a hole anywhere result in depressurizing half your base. You guys aren't using big open rooms and hallways, are you? :psyduck: Star Trek had long open hallways, but that was because they had emergency force fields. Walls and doors are cheap. Many small rooms are safer than fewer large rooms.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Deadly Hume posted:

No word on whether you can eat space worms after you've zapped them?

You can, but there's a 95% chance that anyone who eats space worm meat gets infected with an alien parasite.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Matter doesn't worry me too much. In star trek the replicators are able to synthesize almost anything, and they never worry about having the right balance of source materials so it seems they are able to transform one element to another on the fly. Then they made few things like trilithium and latinum that couldn't be synthesized for reasons, storywise just to have some scarce resources to drive conflict in the otherwise post-scarcity society.

Some dwarf fortress players will examine dozens or even hundreds of sites to find the "perfect" site with all the ingredients for steel and whatever else they want. That may be realistic, a dwarf civilization wouldn't just plop down new towns wherever, but it isn't much fun.

I guess rare elements could be alright if they were optional. Like your power plants can burn matter, but if you have Compound X they'll suffer less wear and tear or produce more power per plant. Maybe Alloy Z is impervious to small arms fire, so if you have it you can line your exterior walls with Allow Z and your security guys will stop depressurizing your base -- or if you don't have enough for that you might just line critical areas like the bar. Space Pesticide that is particularly lethal to parasites or space worms, but relatively harmless to most sapient species.

If you have rare materials then you need trade. It doesn't need to be super complicated like DF, something relatively simple like FTL's trade interface would be fine. Then if you have lots of Compound X but no Alloy Z, a passing trader might be willing to make a swap.

Rare resources could make conflict more sensible. A passing ship might be in desperate need of Space Pesticide, and if refuse to trade away your scant supply then they attack your station. As it is it seems a little silly when your base gets attacked. Guys, there is plenty of asteroid for everyone, just go get some for yourselves and nobody has to die.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fishstick posted:

Having multiple bartenders helps a lot too, so you've always got enough servers covered to make proper food/serve drinks. If your single bartender is spending time sleeping, anyone wanting food during that time is gonna go to the replicator and complain about it. Just like in real life, having a steady supply of alcohol to serve to sad people fixes everything.

I wish there was some form of entertainment other than alcohol. Come on, there must be some teetotalers in space.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alaan posted:

The AI is definitely my biggest hurdle to the game right now. Builders love to commit suicide by deconstructing rooms they are in without a suit.

Lock the door to the room first. Then they are forced to do it from outside.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You need to keep your technicians in your base. If you explore derelicts and raider ships at all, you have to do it slowly enough that your deconstruction crew never leaves more than a couple rooms exposed at a time. Otherwise your technicians will spend all their time floating very slowly over to a derelict, repair a single oxygen recycler or door or something, and then slowly float home. They can easily spend more than half their time travelling to repair things you don't care about, while your core base goes to hell.

I've noticed that they tend to keep everything repaired to about the same level. So for a while everything will be 60-70% or so, old stuff and new stuff alike. If they start getting overworked everything will be 40-50%, then 20-30%. Soon followed by everything being on fire. So I've taken to looking at random objects periodically, and if a couple are below 50% it is a signal that the techs are overworked, and I need to add another tech or deconstruct some of their workload.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do the decorative items do anything at all yet, or are they just a waste of resources? Plants, rugs, screens, etc? It seems like people should prefer a decorated home to a barren one, but that might not be implemented yet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HiKaizer posted:

Don't get raided by pirates. Last night it was causing my game to crash.

Yeah, apparently combat is causing crashes for lots of people. They are supposed to be pushing out a fix today.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/246090/discussions/0/630800443070259711/

quote:

We are working to fix this issue right now. There will be a hotpatch sometime today.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alpha 3b seems pretty good.

I played for a few hours and there are noticeably fewer derelicts and dockers turning up. I was in a zone with low magnetic interference and low danger though, so it might still be bad in high danger zones. As it was they were few enough that they were actually a useful source of rooms/materials rather than a burden.

The new meteor showers aren't too annoying except right at the beginning. I did lose a young base when a meteor shower hit a room where the fire extinguisher hadn't been built yet, and all 6 residents burned to death trying to stomp out the fire with their feet. That was dumb, but it didn't feel unfair. With fire extinguishers and danger alarms in every room meteor showers are manageable as long as you are paying attention.

I don't know if I got lucky or if they tweaked the AI, but I didn't lose a single miner due to running out of oxygen! :woop: Yes, they stop mining and head for the base early enough that they don't die in the airlocks all the time.

Since the technicians aren't wasting all their time flying back and forth to derelicts, it is easier to keep your base functional.

The new fitness zones are easy enough to build and maintain. They don't tell you how big to make the room, but weight bench is the same size as a space bed.

Just a couple new bugs, nothing terrible though. In unfinished rooms the floor and wall textures are black, which looks weird. When you hit "K" some of the exterior walls shrink and some don't. Once I had a meteor score a direct hit on a hydroponics unit, reducing its condition to destroyed. It sat there and sparked and the technicians refused to fix it, but was still able to grow plants.

Overall 3b seems much smoother than earlier builds.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, I've never had that happen either. If it happens again can you take a screenshot?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

canepazzo posted:

All/most of my stations eventually fail when I build a big enough room to serve as dormitory, as one of the other rooms/corridors eventually loses enough oxygen that people get trapped in it; this is one of the most frustrating parts as the people keep running towards the door and tumbling back - I assume this is due to atmosphere difference between rooms?.

This was with an oxygen capacity of 9/18, so it seems that oxygen also can cover a maximum surface - how can you tell how much surface you are able to handle? Other than building 20-25 oxygen creators right from the start.

Speaking of dormitories - do you need separate rooms or will one big room do? Do you need one bed each, will colonists claim them, or will people rotate? I never was able to get to that point due to the oxygen issue.

I haven't figured out what makes them freak out with oxygen either. Keeping the base compact seems to help. I don't use hallways at all anymore, every room simply opens into at least two other rooms.

They don't need individual rooms, and in fact at this point are unable to claim rooms as personal space. One bed for every 2 or 3 residents is easily enough to keep anyone from napping on the floor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spacebase has steam trading cards now. :swoon: They are pretty valuable at the moment.

Nailed it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alaan posted:

So when someone gets infected by parasites and you don't know it, is there any way to stop basically everyone in your station from dying yet? I tried the new patch, was going fine despite meteors every five minutes, then my base just started keeling over from parasites in rapid succession.

Is each parasite killing many guys, or are you getting many parasites?

If each parasite is killing many people, maybe you need more security dudes? Usually each parasite only kills 2 dudes for me, including the one it bursts out of. Note: Security officers need to be brave to fight. A very brave guy with 2 points in security is more useful than a non-brave guy with 3 points.

If you happened to get many parasites in a short period of time I think that was probably just the RNG loving you over. I don't think parasites can infect new people in your base, just some immigrants arrive with them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IAmTheRad posted:

Okay, how do you get Happiness up?

Get your bar, fresh food, exercise room, and plenty of beds all built. Then wait for new people to immigrate because the sad sacks that built all that poo poo will never be happy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Corridors are the devil.

If you must have corridors, make them pretty blue corridors that just happen to have oxygen recyclers in them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tech tree blueprints at least give you a reason to explore the derelicts. As it is now you might find a friendly dude, and it can be an okay source of matter, but mostly ignoring derelicts is a solid strategy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Always use 3 doors wide, always 2 entries of those, always locked open.

Solves that problem.

Yeah, there is no downside to having most of your doors locked open most of the time. If you get boarders, meteors, fires or other hazards that could breach an exterior wall it only takes a moment to close the doors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I've decided to make all my corridors dingy Refinery spaces because the regular corridor looks too clean for me.

Also I'm hoping they add windows soon.

Why would they need windows? Every room already has skylights. :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IAmTheRad posted:

No windows. Windows are structural weaknesses.

Unlike the "metal" walls which are easily pierced by small arms, and destroyed by fire. I believe the walls maybe be made of aluminum foil.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What if the way stations were connected? 1 tile wide hallways that lead to an airlock. People walk faster than they float. Oxygen could be a problem though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rasmussen posted:

Now if only I could disable the meteor showers. They are the most un-fun mechanic I can think of. It's so tedious blocking doors and firing alarms every couple minutes.

Meteor swarms are related to matter density, so you get a lot fewer of them if you pick a low density location. But that means there is less to mine, you have to rely on cannibalizing ships and derelicts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dogstile posted:

Raiders aren't my problem, its the really annoying oxygen mechanic. They should probably make it a bit more solid for now and gently caress with it later. Right now I still have problems with oxygen moving around my base, despite building it around a massive core of oxygen recyclers.

Have you tried opening all your doors? It helps some, and prevents people being trapped in low oxygen areas by air pressure blow back.

The other thing that can help is having every room adjacent to an oxygen room.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nemo2342 posted:

Ok, so I did in fact build a little way station (smelter, airlock, O2), but it didn't really help much. Yes, the miners did get air when they went to refine matter, but they would still decide to come back to base for food/rest while dangerously low on O2. The station also caused several other problems 1) raiders would try to attack it 2) new arrivals would spawn at it 3) the constant stream of techs going to service stuff caused people to die at the main airlocks.

Speaking of which, things got really nasty at my base once I went over 90 people. Even with multiple airlocks, people kept suffocating due to the large number of miners/technicians/builders constantly going into space.

No problem. Just build one airlock for each miner/builder/tech and you'll be fine. :iamafag:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

YourAverageJoe posted:

That's perfectly reasonable, except that's not the best indication of which is the right way for a stove to face, in its design. Before, I'd just rely on the "it takes up this wall" tile.

Four stoves on the edge of a cliff . . . Once they start using one, delete the other three.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

teethgrinder posted:

I can't imagine them thinking that's a good idea. I would assume that it would work much like oxygen.

That is the joke. With oxygen rooms not directly adjacent to a life support room sometimes become partial vacuum for no reason. You can have enough oxygen producers for twice the size of your population, and still have rooms with low oxygen. Especially if you have any 1 tile wide hallways.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Slayer1597 posted:

Is this game any good?, I am eyeing it up on steam. But having a hard time making decision.

I lovely building games usually, micromanaging my people and whatnot. Alot of the negative reviews on steam sound like they were written some time ago.

Basically looking for an updated review.

Updates come approximately monthly. Each time one drops I play for 2-10 hours, then wait for the next update. There isn't much meat on the bones yet, but the bones are good.

You can build a little base. There are some mid term goals with developing your entertainment sector to help keep people happy. (No tantrum spirals, but they work faster and make fewer mistakes when they are happy.) There are some random encounters where things show up, but they are pretty shallow. Once you get to 40 people you've seen all there is to see, and from then on you'll just be building out more copies of rooms you already have. Eventually you run out of asteroids to mine, and need to recycle derelicts to harvest matter -- which is easy, but kind of annoying. There is no real end game content yet.

It has a lot of personality. The various silly races are kind of fun to watch. Space chickens! Each resident has a sort of facebook/twitter thing where they record their moods and experiences. It isn't all that important mechanically (except for finding folks infected with alien parasites) but it does give individuals a lot more personality than you get in Banished or Gnomeria.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nemo2342 posted:

That being said, I did get a couple hours worth of fun out of building stuff and micromanaging my people before I stopped. My base just got too large for me to deal with some of the other bugs.

When the next patch comes out I'll probably get a few more hours worth of entertainment out of it, depending on if I start a new base or try to save my current one.

I always start a new base from scratch. I think the beginning where you are rushing to get established is the best part.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KittyEmpress posted:

Okay then game. Okay.

I sure miss Bob. Hey, look, new table! I thought we were too low on matter to build more tables?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jamizzy99 posted:

Not sure I'm a big fan of the art style but the concept seems amazing.

Space Chickens.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I dunno, is it that crazy/unrealistic? I don't want spaceboots mcgee lugging giant chunks of dirty rock and ore through my nice clean airlock every 20 minutes. I don't see why the loading/unloading operations of a refinery would require being enclosed in the station.

I can see two arguments here: the one you've made, in that it's too easy/effortless. What if there were some bit of supply chain management on the output end? Like okay, you can have it outside, but it now outputs a stack of materials that needs to be stored somewhere, which means one of your spacepeople now needs to work as a hauler bringing the output to its designated storage. I think I could live with that.

The other argument is where we suppose the refinery operates the same way they do in modernity where combustion plays some part, thus the refinery needs some supply of oxygen to operate and must be part of the space station proper. I would counter by proposing that the refinery get resupplied with air tanks or whatever when the technician comes around to do upkeep.

Ultimately it's going to depend on what the devs think about free-standing external structures. Given the existence of the starter crate and derelicts I think it's possible they'll at least let us keep refineries outside with some modest changes.

You've seen the power generators, right? Wicked red rooms? Eventually rooms will need power. Running conduit to free standing platforms might be possible, or maybe you could build a platform with a refinery and a generator. But it probably won't stay as easy as it is now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm guessing Parasites might be able to be captured and researched somehow, which would be pretty awesome.

Tame them and force them to do mining duty.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Confirming I built floors under my turrets and they powered up. (I was all excited to share the neat thing I found, and everybody already knows.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tony Montana posted:

As in 12 bucks? I paid like 14 bucks for Broforce and that's one of the greatest games ever written.

But it does sound like it's pretty flaky at the moment.. more frustrating than reliably fun.

edit: does it go on special frequently? 12 bucks is less than I'll pay for lunch tomorrow..

I have fun with it, and don't regret joining early access roulette with this one. I love base/town building games, and this scratches that itch. It has a lot of charm and personality, which is good. The UI is a little clunky and changes a bit with each update as new things are added, but it is usable and much more intuitive than dwarf fortress. Personally I've got over 30 hours total out of it.

Like most early access games it has no endgame. Eventually you have researched all there is to research, you 80+ reasonably happy dudes and nothing left to do but build more of the same. You turn it off and wait a month or two for the next update. I find I get more out of it if I start from scratch each update, if you just add the new features to your existing base you'll run through the new stuff faster. Sometimes the new stuff can be apocalyptic to an old base though, this update added power requirements and tantrums and since morale wasn't that important before a bunch of guys were already very unhappy. Power didn't seem to be a problem, so I built a brig first. Then whatever grace period runs out and everything goes offline. My base went from 60 guys to 4 miserable sadsacks before they got the first power reactor online to start up some oxygen generators. Even then that was only enough to power about 1/4 of my old sprawling base. Then everything started failing from lack of maintenance because all the technicians were dead. Starting over was really the only option.

Like most things on steam it goes on sale at least a couple times a year. If 12 bux is a big part of your entertainment budget, hold off and wait for the game to be more . . . just more. If watching goofy aliens live and die sounds like fun and 12 bux is nothing to you, then go ahead and take the plunge.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

One of the very angry guys in my brig had a happy thought that there were "plenty of people to talk to on this base". A full brig is a happy brig?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Build more turrets? Every room bigger than an airlock or 4X3 single occupant residence gets a turret. Most big rooms get 2 or 3 turrets. Build the turrets first, they require 3X2 free space to place, but once they are in place they don't block other construction on the floor. Note: Turrets can go on the 2 walls where nothing else can be placed. It is fiddly getting them to lock on, but it works. If you position your turrets facing doorways they will help protect adjacent rooms as well, somehow they can shoot through doorways.

It takes at least two turrets to kill a raider. Raiders can easily disable turrets, but while they are doing that they aren't shooting dudes. Even with a 3 raider boarding party I rarely lose more than 1 or 2 guys. (Plenty of wounded, but usually only 1 or 2 deaths).

If your builders are good you may not need to fight the ones that attach to your base at all. Disconnect the new hallway, and then tear down a single wall of their airlock if they have one, and they are trapped in their ship. Eventually they will just float away like derelicts. Killbots are a pain in the rear end, but their ships often don't have an airlock at all, so if you sever the umbilical hallway they are trapped on their ship. They don't need oxygen, but they won't attempt to spacewalk either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lockback posted:

Hmm,something else I did was set my security to lethal, so I just killed raiders instead of trying to capture them. Does the lethality affect how effective they are?

I've tried both, and I seem to get fewer casualties on my side if I set phasers to kill.

Tame raiders are nothing great anyway. I captured two of the green guys so far, and each had only 1 or 2 points in the security skill and didn't even like the duty. :what: I ended up making them a doctor and a botanist.

• Locked thread