Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Ahaha, this even has the sort of blaise guitar noodling of Dwarf Fortress for a soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Streaming here for who knows how long.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hah, placing a reactor crashed the game. I'll stream more of it at a later date when I'm not playing like an idiot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You too? That's what crashed me.

Amusingly it's not actually necessary because power doesn't work right now. Woops!

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 15, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
So uh, couple things.

A: Seems people don't care if another person is in the tile.

B: The guy who they're talking about fondly? Is the corpse at their feet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Len posted:

Am I missing something or is there no way to pan the camera? My arrow keys aren't doing it nor is moving the mouse to the edge of the screen.

Right-click hold.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

What happens with my building materials when all the nearby asteroids get mined out? Do more come floating along, or do I have to trade or salvage or something?

At the moment either nothing, or you strip apart derelicts. That's pretty much where the game ends currently, unless I just didn't wait long enough for more to show up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
People love management sims, and people love DF because it's insane and has all these mostly coincidental occurrences and stories as a result of being completely batshit. A better controlling and better looking management sim with the same capacity for crazy stories as DF is something a lot of people want. Whether any of the four trillion offshoots that have sprung in the last couple years manage to deliver anything as ridiculous is I suppose a matter for the not-so-distant future.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 16, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I've been ignoring several derelicts that showed up and sort of clustered together because pirates just LOVED my rear end. I finally broke into all of them and UNLEASHED A PLAGUE OF PARASITES. I have no starbase any more.

They just wanted some booty!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zoinker posted:

Ahh, the FTL methodology. If it isn't already in, I hope they add in the ability to manually open/close airlocks so the players can turn their starbases into the convoluted deathtraps they're obviously meant to be.

This really looks promising, and at 20 bucks (with the Psychonauts discount) I'm really tempted to buy it. How good is the music? Is it worth throwing down the extra $4?

Doors are manually lockable and can be forced open as well. The music is fairly generic space ambiance currently, I'd hold off.

Police Automaton posted:

Well not bad but to call itself the Dwarf Fortress of space or whatever? Not that dwarf fortress is playable or even that much fun, but this game feels more like one of these iPad games that you play for a bit, not really like a Dwarf Fortress or even Space Station 13. Might make it more marketable though. It's sad that goons always go "WOAH MUST BUY MUST BUY MUST BUY" at basically every indie or small studio title, it makes it more difficult to part the quality from the noise.

It's a quite early alpha, and pretty much everyone playing has said that. It's got some promise, especially if the can implement even 70% of their desired features list, but after tooling around with it for a while more I'd definitely urge people to hold off for the time being.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Some moron miner set the asteroid refinery on fire and the station burned down while builders and miners kept on mining around the fire. :saddowns:

How do I clean up all these dead bodies all over the station?

You don't! At least not for an alpha or two.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

My mechanic seems to destroy equipment 3/4 of the time, and repair things 1/4 of the time. He just broke one of the oxygen dealies. He is 3* too, and the best mechanic I have.

Yeah that could stand to be tuned a bit. Even a 4 star tech only repairs things about 60% of the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Any idea how to run this in a window in OSX?

What's the equivalent of My Docs on OSX? Presumably either in there or in the game folder itself is a file called bootconfig.cfg that you can open with a text editor and change launchfullscreen to false.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No you see Early Access is the devil.

Orv
May 4, 2011

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Is this worth a purchase in its current state or should i give it a few months?

My recommendation would be grab a Double Fine game (Psychonauts if you haven't played it) during the upcoming Fall sale and then grab DF-9 when it gets a little further on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

YourAverageJoe posted:

And you're trying to make it sound like a bad thing. :allears:

It's not a DF-alike without tantrum spirals. :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's really unfortunate how long this is taking, because as much as Rimworld and Prison Architect are better games, I like the style of Spacebase so much.

And Hume is correct, Spacebase is probably something the two devs work on for a little while each day or a couple times week. Additionally, given that all the other released Fortnight games were at some point picked up by a larger entity, Costume Quest and Stacking by THQ, and Trenched by Microsoft, they probably don't have the resources necessary to develop a full-fledged adventure game and three others.

Still kinda lovely.

E: Actually I was mistaken, Hack and Slash is also being done entirely in-house, so who knows. Though that isn't exactly on full blast either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

pnumoman posted:

So what exactly did they promise in the beginning, when people were literally throwing money at them? I mean, this early access bullshit is a dumb way to spend your money no matter what, but I want to know if there's some real justification for this gnashing of teeth.

http://web.archive.org/web/20131018054131/http://spacebasedf9.com/devplans

"Nothing on this list is carved in stone, and we can't promise any date or when it might go in game."

Doesn't make it less lovely. Especially when a lot of stuff on that list that isn't in could be done with very little effort.

• Locked thread