Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Someone just entered my base (which had a bar and everything) and killed all my dudes.

Goddammit.

It's a little barebones but as long as they keep adding stuff it should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I mean, yeah, it's space, there mightn't be z-levels in the actual base but when your dudes are outside they float above it I guess.

However.

With that, I did get one weird bug where some guy decided to go to bed while he was still outside. It was just as well he had enough oxygen or he would've slept forever.

It'd be also be nice to mark areas off limits for maintenance crews etc. so people don't go floating out there to fix poo poo on an explored derelict I'm only going to salvage rather than inhabit. (I don't mind the derelicts, but I just lost a couple of idiots to a space worm that had suddenly invaded it).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

:argh:SPACE WORMS:argh:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

Still no fix for the random crew that float off to a corner of the map to eventually asphyxiate while "shooting at an enemy" or some such. I pretty much write those off as dead, which sucks a lot, but hey--alpha.
Yeah, I've gotten a few of those incidents. Even new arrivals sometimes go "oh wait, enemy, let's go shoot at it while I choke to death". Often when there's no enemy on the map. Sometimes there'll be a human on the derelict but they're marked as a raider or whatever and they'll just stand there - they won't fight or otherwise join the base.

Anyway, obviously those are the sort of quirks you get from early alphas, so I'm pretty cool with the initial release anyway.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Oddly enough, Startopia turned up on Steam a week or so back. Due to its age it seems a bit janky these days.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

No word on whether you can eat space worms after you've zapped them?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well, you can build energy generators be obviously used as another resource (and I mean, "energy" and "matter", that makes sense). And we know food will be a resource, since they're introducing replicators and gardens fairly soon - with the grown stuff being better than the stuff that's reconstituted out of other stuff.

To be honest, describing this as a "Dwarf Fortress"-like is fairly misleading, because that's a pretty specific niche. Describing it in general terms as a "base builder" is more fitting and it seems to be more in line with those old Bullfrog games like Theme Hospital or Dungeon Keeper, or indeed Prison Architect, which gets better with every alpha those guys put out, which I'm hoping will also be the case here.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well at least the death spirals are DF-like.

Arghy posted:

Why cant they make this UI for DF? seriously someone should be linking this to toady so he can add it ingame.
You make it sound so simple.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 21, 2013

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I like the direction, anyway, if they can get all of those features into the next few alpha releases.

I was able to get my latest couple of bases reasonably stable and once that happens to the point where you can have 5-6 guys on security to deal with any raiders and keep the toll to a minimum.

The first base I abandoned (OK, ragequit) after I had about four of my builders sucked out into space while they were dismantling a derelict because I messed up by not dismantling the derelict's airlock first. At least if the builders are in suits they're reasonably safe, but if they go through the airlock and then someone makes a hole in the wall... yeah.

Having learned from that, the second base is pretty stable, with single bed rooms and a bar, a good sized garden and a gym. A few deaths to fires caused by space debris and raiders, but essentially good times city since new people are always turning up. So I'm looking forward to anything that recomplicates matters, so the infirmary update with new ailments like Space Flu and Space Measles but also a way to patch up residents would be good.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Lockback posted:

Wait, you are supposed to have single bedrooms? Is that why my crews always have the morale of suicidal 13 year olds?
I don't think you actually have to (at least at this point) and can just use a dorm, but some people just like to have them as a challenge or because they think it looks better.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Pound_Coin posted:

I don't think I'm going to be able to put any more time into this until medbays/morgues are put in.

So many hallways full of corpses..
The corpses disappear after a while, but the stains never come out :gonk:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

With what's there at the moment, you'll probably be done with it after 3-4 hours. But since the developers are well-known (if perhaps a bit known for putting out buggy games in the game) to me it was like Introversion putting out Prison Architect and I thought it was reasonably safe bet.

Then you get things like Kerbal, which already had a fairly solid core by the time I got in (though I think at the time they'd only had one of the moons and no planets) so even though I'd never heard of Squad you could tell that was going to become something pretty awesome.

I actually did pick up Startopia not that long ago on Steam (only USD7!) but to be honest the interface seems pretty damned janky to me now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well I bought that StarForge one, so... :negative:

Problem seems to be that DF have a couple of other projects going on and this isn't so much of a priority for them. It's just like they thought, OK, this'll be a fun project we can work on in off-time so let's start it and put it on EARLY ACCESS and now they're neglecting it because linear adventure games are more their thing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Oh loving Towns. Well I bought that one as part of a bundle so I wasn't too badly burnt, but holy crap that was awful.

At least StarForge is still being worked on but I'm pretty much over it now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It'd be great if your initial crew didn't decide to just buggerise around outside until they choke to death when there's still an airlock that needs construction.

EDIT: Yeah it seems it's a little more fernickity about the starting build order than I remember. If you don't build the airlock before absolutely anything else that's enclosed they just float around until death claims them.

Anyway now to get into the meat of the update...

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 4, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

OK two guys decide to start brawling the first time they chat and knock each other out. You'd think there'd be some kind of screening before you send colonists out into the depths of space together.

Then the game crashes for some mysterious reason to do with building. (Which is weird, because previous alphas were fairly stable in this regard.)

I try not to be one of those people that complains a lot about dumb poo poo, but drat.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The 6b patch has fixed things quite a bit! I had a couple of false starts as someone brought a parasite in and between that and a raider I called it a wipe.

Oh yeah, and on another false start, someone beat someone else to death and then picked up the corpse and took it to the refinery. :stare:

(Got a couple of hundred matter units out of it!)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

hemophilia posted:

I get the feeling someone who handles money at Doublefine said, "this game we quietly launched and failed to market at all isn't making us money hand over fist, i guess we better wrap this poo poo up so we can move onto the next quirky bullshit project we'll abandon less than a year down the line". and then they fired nearly everyone involved except a skeleton crew to finish killing the project.
Yeah, that's the vibe I'm getting. I doubt they sacked anyone, they just reallocated them to other projects (since they do seem to have a lot of pots on the stove, unlike Squad or Introversion).

And lets face it, while the last Alpha was pretty good, it still needs a fair bit more work.

Anyway, daft.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I seem to be batting 50/50 with EA titles.

KSP and Prison Architect have been great (I'll have to check out Rimworld), as far as Clockwork Empires goes the early signs are promising (of course they've already done Dungeons of Dredmore which is pretty good) - and the dev even pops up in the thread here and is pretty open about what they're up to.

On the other hand, things like Starforge and Cubeworld...

This has been a joke, really, though, I was of the mind that if they kept up development it would be really solid in, maybe 12 months? But now they've said we're pulling the plug! Yay for us! It's gone from the former category to the latter for me PDQ.

Anyway if you want to build stuff, Banished is worth a look at when it's on sale. It's a bit shallow after you play it a while but it looks great, and since the guy's opened up the modding API some progress seems to be being made on those by others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

RVT posted:

Stonehearth is coming along, and posts updates on what is going on at least every Tuesday, pushes out patches 1-2 times a month. They were actually about to go EA on Steam this month, but let their forums talk them out of it since the game is really basic and unfinished still and packed with game destroying bugs.

I think I'm done with EA, but I'll keep hoping Stonehearth doesn't get abandoned like this. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about it on the forums. However, if I could do it over again, I'd have probably just waited until the game was done before buying it. With so many finished games out there, I'm realizing there's no point in buying a half done game early, and praying the devs finish the thing when we've removed most of the incentive for them to do so.
Stonehearth was one of those ones that I thought, hmm, nice concept, be interesting if it actually gets realised. If they're 1) putting regular patches and 2) keeping people informed that's usually a fair sign that they'll at least see it through.

Brutal Legend was odd because the RTS bits don't really get dropped on you until later on. I thought it was quite fun but at a certain point I had trouble caring to see it through.

Psychonauts has some truly weird crap that just works really well. But again, I got stuck at a certain point and was, like, hmm.

I think I see a pattern.

• Locked thread