Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It's like a wet dream. I want this.

Edit: Jesus I couldn't stop myself. I dropped $50 because I BELIEVE.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Geokinesis posted:

How is it so far?

I'm still setting it up on my laptop because I have toddlers. Once I actually get the chance to delve in I will post a FULL report. Maybe with pictures.

edit: I CAN tell you that when you activate the code on Steam it's called Codename Rickshaw :frog:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SPACE CHICKENS!

That want only death.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Orv posted:

Hah, placing a reactor crashed the game. I'll stream more of it at a later date when I'm not playing like an idiot.

You too? That's what crashed me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Orv posted:

Amusingly it's not actually necessary because power doesn't work right now. Woops!

I found that out too :) Merely for decoration!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright so a couple of things after playing it. It is still in an obvious early alpha. There isn't a lot to go around and yet there's enough depth already to keep me entertained for a few hours. I can see where there is going. Corpses and hunks of ore currently have nowhere to go an just poo poo up your station.

However it is possible, as I just tested and found out, to just material by luring in derelict ships, killing everyone on board, then either stripping them down for parts or adding them to your glorious collective. :black101:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Qwo posted:

I love how directly they're aping Dwarf Fortress while still doing their own thing. It's clear from the RPS interview that the project lead is passionate about DF. So that's promising. I don't play DF for the fortress sim though, so I hope they don't lean too heavily on the game JUST being about building a space station. In games like this, I want a deeply-layered dynamic narrative generator more than anything.

I don't like the squarish aesthetic too much. Can you even build non-square rooms? The asteroids looked especially dumb. I wish they would obscure the voxel tiles with good art, at least. Also, I couldn't tell from the video/screenshots: are there multiple z-levels?

You can build non-square rooms by not using the room tool. So far I haven't non any extra z-levels yet. I hope they come!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ever had moron pirates dock with your mining offshoot? I have too! Let me show you how you, too, can deal with these idiots in three simple steps!

Presto! In just a few, short minutes you'll have a few easy-to-pick-over corpse for your crew to scavenge.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I've been ignoring several derelicts that showed up and sort of clustered together because pirates just LOVED my rear end. I finally broke into all of them and UNLEASHED A PLAGUE OF PARASITES. I have no starbase any more.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:psyduck:

Five minutes into my new station my giant space chicken is eaten by a giant space frog.

Did I mention you can rename... everything? Don't like the name of Generic Airlock P? Rename Airlock Dongs.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Lazermaniac posted:

So, I bought in and played a couple of hours.

First base I got running, the crew dicks around with airlock hatches and vents atmosphere into space.

I started again, and the base went better, they actually cycled through the airlock one by one, and started mining an asteroid. Then a derelict ship showed up and I sent the guy with the highest Security ranking to go check it out. He cycles into the derelict, and gets as far as the room past the airlock, then turns around, cycles back out, and returns to base. For his valiant service I have renamed him to Laurence Fishburne. Then some space chicken messages me and says my base is of a shape offensive to its religion. Naturally I tell it to go gently caress itself, and it boards me right through the life support room. And Lawrence goddamn Fishburne singlehandedly fought off the invasion, then put out the burning O2 scrubbers, and went back to playing his handheld game.

This is some impressive poo poo for the first public alpha.

Yup, I laughed long and hard at this.

Because my 5 star security officer came on a Canadian space bus I named him A Space Canadian. He had 15 pirate kills under his belt before he accidentally spaced himself in a firefight by blowing an airlock door up.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

tehsid posted:

Just a heads up. If anybody wants this and can't get the 20% off, hit me up on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/teh_sid) and if you can paypal, I can gift it to you for $19.99usd rather then $24.99usd.

I'm sure most of you are able to get the discount, but I know some people can't.

Discount?

But I wanted my name in the credits. :negative:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

DeathSandwich posted:

So is there any sort of economy in this game? That was always my favorite part of Dwarf Fortress was early game scrambling to get the smithy going and digging out some iron and flux to try and get some reasonably equipped soldiers before the first forgotten beast or goblin/kobold/beastmen attack. Making sure you have enough beds to house all your people doesn't have as much impact for me if you just magick one up from your generic matter supply, especially compared to dwarf fortress where your woodworker could get so good at making beds that it made your people happier for sleeping in them.

Not yet there isn't. There is just Matter, which is used to construct.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ahhahahahah. I just had a huge cloaked cruiser declare my station shameful to their gods and they were going to kill everyone on board. They happened to dock next to one of my space-suited builders heading back from completing a job so I quickly dismantled one wall of the airlock and sucked all five of the bastards out into space. For an early rear end alpha I'm having a blast with it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chris Remo posted:

Man this thread is the best. I love reading the stories, it's really awesome for us to see after having worked on the game for the last six months.

Hopefully folks stick with it, we'll be pushing plenty of updates and bugfixes.

If this is what the game is like in Alpha 1 I can't wait to see how it develops!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just disassemble derelicts first chance you get. That's the best way of dealing with them.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ahhahahah oh man this game models some personalities so loving well. I just had a space cat show up who was his own best friend and loved to talk about himself. So of course I renamed him in honor of my own cat.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zsinjeh posted:

I want to interface this game with FTL somehow and build my own spaceships and man them with crew from the spacestation and go on roguelike missions to bring back booty :3:

In the devnotes one of the things they want to be able to do is to eventually have you send down away teams to a planet to recover artifacts, mine matter or just have fun.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hotfix 1B posted:

Technicians now prioritize objects with lower condition.
Post-processing is now enabled by default on Linux.
It’s no longer possible to set a beacon for a number of Security duty citizens greater than the number you currently have.
Corpses disappear after 10 minutes of real world time instead of 1 week.
New options in Audio/Video settings menu:

Use OS Mouse Cursor: Use your operating system’s hardware-accelerated mouse cursor, in case you experience cursor lag.
Enable Post Effects: Enable screen post-processing effects for improved visuals.
Fullscreen: Run the game full-screen.

Fixed: Duty counts should only reflect characters who are citizens of your base.
Fixed: Broken refineries can still be used to convert asteroids into matter.
Fixed: Wrong graphic displays for broken Airlock Lockers.
Fixed: Time control hotkeys can trigger unsupported 0.5 game speed.
Fixed: Small seams between wall and floor tile art.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:psyduck: Pirates just docked with a deralict I had built a corridor to but hadn't breached yet. They and the monster instead killed each other.

I also love making individual rooms.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 18, 2013

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Chris Remo, one of the developers, is also a Goon and watches this thread. So, you know, you can just mention that the game is a lot of fun already right here.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What exactly is in this game right now?

Your name.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

:3: My base is coming along quite nicely. We've had the NICEST pirates and raiders so far. They've all gleefully attached themselves in the dumbest possible places where it was quite easy to dismantle a wall and send them into the void.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chris Remo posted:

Haha, I love that you build individual quarters for each citizen. Super good.

It'd be nice if I could assign those quarters because right now it's super creepy that one person will be sleeping and my bartender, who shoulder be serving drink but is lazy, likes to visit each room and just stare until he finds an empty bed to lay down.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It seem that after a while your delightful little idiots lose the last of their brain cells and just go off to space themselves while "fighting the enemy". I've lost five now that have floated to the corner of the map and then died. Their floating corpses bobbing up and down and greeting every passing ship.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My amazing security force of 5 Hand Picked Rambo Space Frogs all loving suffocated chasing a raider space lizard around a rock Benny Hill style. Somehow the Raider how ten seconds more air than they all did and managed to just not make the airlock dock before dying himself. The fucker. I hope it was slow and painful.

I really wish I had recorded the whole thing cause I would have slapped Yakkity Sax on it in a heartbeat and posted that bitch here.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Angela Christine posted:

How does blowing the airlock or blowing a hole anywhere result in depressurizing half your base. You guys aren't using big open rooms and hallways, are you? :psyduck: Star Trek had long open hallways, but that was because they had emergency force fields. Walls and doors are cheap. Many small rooms are safer than fewer large rooms.

I started using airlocks in weird parts of my base because it's because so large. Not just internal -> external either.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I posted a big thread of ideas cribbed from SS13. Can anyone think of anything I missed that would fit in DF-9? I feel like I barely got into what makes SS13's systems interesting for this kind of game.

This is excellent and well written. I really like it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've found that right now the easiest thing to do is to dissemble every derelict you come across. Seriously the only advantage security has over normal dudes is guns and that don't count for poo poo in space anyway.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

bitcoin bastard posted:

1 star botanists will alternate between huffing gasoline and pouring it on the plants.

Or growing dank rear end rainbow weed to sell to the Pub in exchange for yummy cooked food. Cause that's all newbie botanists ever try to do.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I want windows and more ways to make my station pretty.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Still having fun with this. Lost my entire station to a pair of parasites because I was babysitting a security boarding party on a derelict when they did their chestburster routine and ran amok.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
They've messed around with performance too. My 30 citizen base on my latop is no longer grinding along but instead moving smoothly.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TipsyMcStagger posted:

If you un zone areas on new derelicts/etc, do they automatically stop the technicians from traveling over there and repairing poo poo?

The biggest issue I have is putting areas off limits. I would deconstruct the inner airlock then blow out the walls of a few bases and that would then limit people from wanting to go there then I would begin the horrible process of deconstructing areas.

Destroying floors is the most painful thing.

Yes technicians will stop trying to go over there. You can always lock the airlock too.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Don't assign security to crew that aren't brave, even if they have stars in it. They'll never fight.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

canepazzo posted:

Any workaround for technicians refusing to repair oxygen machines? It's frustrating playing basically on a time limit.
I'm actually not having this problem any more. My technicians are competent as hell.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
New update! :woop:

The Awesome Developers posted:

Meteor showers will strike the base from time to time, after a short warning period. A red ring highlights the area that will be impacted. Meteor damage can cause fires and even breaches.
Alarm panels can be built in any room. Activating an alarm causes citizens to evacuate the room.
Weight Benches can be built in Fitness Zones. Citizens will prefer to work out here.
Rooms discovered in derelicts can be claimed and unclaimed. Citizens won't bother to work in unclaimed rooms. Unclaimed rooms left alone long enough will become "dim" and you won't see non-citizens moving around in them.
Raiders can now deploy from shuttles, sometimes posing as immigrants. They'll attempt to enter your base through its airlocks.
Citizens prefer different leisure activities: some will play vidgames more often than working out, some prefer to drink, etc. Citizens express opinions on these activities when chatting.
Citizens now run while in combat and other survival-critical situations.
Matter yield from an asteroid is based on the skill of the miner who mined it.
Object inspector shows when an object was built, who built it, when it was last maintained, and by whom.
Citizen inspector shows a dead citizen's cause of death.
Morale loss when a citizen dies is now based on each citizen's familiarity with and affinity for the deceased. It should now be far less common for entire bases to spiral into depression when a random citizen dies.
Citizen health status line shows if they are starving or suffocating.
< and > keys now cycle selection between rooms in your base.
Added a few new derelict modules.
Technicians can maintain objects in space.
When a citizen is starving and can't reach an available food source, they lie down on the ground and a hint displays.
Citizens remember when rooms are dangerous, and try to find a path around them.
Festive Trees will be planted in Gardens during the month of December.
Steam: Added trading cards, badges, emoticons, profile backgrounds.
Steam: Added Steam Cloud save support for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Saves are OS-agnostic but only cloud sync within a single OS right now. If you absolutely need cross-OS play, manually copying a savegame from one OS to another works.
Fixed: Many AI and pathfinding issues.
Fixed: HUD Matter display can show a decimal number.
Fixed: Characters sometimes don't notice when there's a fire in the room.
Fixed: In large rooms, citizens walk a long way to complete tasks like drinking that tell them, "go someplace random in the same room".
Fixed: Spaceface log UI doesn't show the most recent entry.
Fixed: Space-suited citizens can lock others inside of an airlock during decompression.
Fixed: Technicians chat and maintain doors instead of fixing broken oxygen recyclers.
Fixed: Builders sometimes space themselves when demolishing an exterior wall.
Fixed: Food crates sometimes appear as rocks.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Runs a lot smoother too. I'm getting a steady framerate finally instead of bouncing all over this place.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ballistic Photon posted:

Definitely needs major bug fixes on how airflow and AI are currently stupid as hell. This is the second time where starting a new game, I've built an airlock, a hallway, and a connected life support room with an oxygen recycler. Everything is sealed, things seems good to go, so my dudes board the station, and proceed to start frantically running around for cover. For some strange reason, every room is losing oxygen. I decide that telling my guys to go mine for materials might prevent them from suffocating inside the station, but then the airlock door opens and they all die. As soon as everyone is dead, the airlock doors start pressurizing and the station now has increasing oxygen levels.

Guess I'm going to try making yet another station.

:psyduck: I've made about fifteen stations now, two since this last patch, and have never had this happen to me. Are you doubling up your airlock doors to make sure it's its own room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Those cards are how you know the developers are having fun with this.

• Locked thread