Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
And considering that Wolverine is a moneymaker for Fox, I would say they would have to be in some serious financial ruin to even consider the thought of selling off Wolverine/X-Men. Like blowing all their money on even more hookers and blow then they usually do, buying a billian dollars worth of stocks for betamax, responding to every Nigerian prince e-mail they receive in their spam folder and then, maybe after all of that....maybe they might sell Wolverine. So in other words, never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lurdiak posted:

Is there no "out" in the contract with Fox? You'd think Marvel would have been smarter than to effectively sign over the movie rights to their biggest franchise (at the time) in perpetuity.

They were near bankrupt at the time and there were no successful comic movies without Batman in them at the time, and even then the last one was B&R. They had no idea that X-Men would start a trend going strong for nearly 15 years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From the couple of bits of the fight scene we see it looks like Sebastian Stan has bulked up like a motherfucker.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

When is Wolverine going to join the Avengers? It's not the Avengers without Wolverine.

He's coming in right after Spider-Man and Luke Cage.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

At least Marvel actually has the rights to Luke Cage, so they might introduce him as a side-character in some movie.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Senor Candle posted:

Well, Marvel has the rights to Luke Cage and there's that persistent rumour that Sony will let Spider-Man show up in the MCU, so I'm sure it will be any day now! :downs:

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Paul Rudd and Rashida Jones are close to signing up for Ant Man.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=89038

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

lomzus posted:

What's interesting is that this is saying he'll be Pym, not Lang. Having Janet in the movie backs that up, so I'm wondering how much the movie has changed from what we originally thought it would be.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, it's too bad Marvel doesn't have the F4 rights, because then they should cast Rob Lowe as Reed Richards, Amy Poehler as Sue Storm, Aziz Ansari as Johnny and Nick Offerman as The Thing, and then do an Ant Man/GotG crossover.

Aubrey Plaza can play, I don't know, Lucia Von Bardas or something.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

lomzus posted:

I am liking this development. Rashida Jones is great. I liked the pair in I Love You Man.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

lomzus posted:

Jesus loving Christ. This is like the movie that you dream about and when you wake up you're disappointed to remember that it isn't real.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have not seen a single thing I do not like in this thread today. Everything in Cap 2 makes me excited, and Rashida Jones as Wasp would be awesome.

I think BP would make a better joint hero, like have him show up in Avengers 2 or Cap 3, and play a major part in it. Something I wish the studios weren't was so timid with filling the films with characters. I can understand them not wanting to cast a big name actor to play Carol Danvers or Luke Cage or whomever, but when you think about the casting, save RDJ, Sam Jackson and Scarlett Johannson, everyone has been a minor actor, mostly doing tv work, and in the case of Chris Hemsworth, had not really appeared in a single major film until Thor.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Dacap posted:

What's interesting is that this is saying he'll be Pym, not Lang. Having Janet in the movie backs that up, so I'm wondering how much the movie has changed from what we originally thought it would be.

Depends on wether or not he can hit a woman.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Depends on wether or not he can hit a woman.
Can we nip this in the butt, and just not talk about this like it is or even should be that defining a thing for Hank Pym.

twistedmentat posted:

I have not seen a single thing I do not like in this thread today. Everything in Cap 2 makes me excited, and Rashida Jones as Wasp would be awesome.

I think BP would make a better joint hero, like have him show up in Avengers 2 or Cap 3, and play a major part in it. Something I wish the studios weren't was so timid with filling the films with characters. I can understand them not wanting to cast a big name actor to play Carol Danvers or Luke Cage or whomever, but when you think about the casting, save RDJ, Sam Jackson and Scarlett Johannson, everyone has been a minor actor, mostly doing tv work, and in the case of Chris Hemsworth, had not really appeared in a single major film until Thor.
Hemsworth was in Star Trek, not for long, but his bit is what got people to take notice of him.

Chris Evans has had a pretty solid film career which included already being a superhero. Mark Ruffalo and Edward Norton are huge names as are Stanley Tucci, Terrence Howard, Anthony Hopkins, Jeff Bridges, Natalie Portman, and you know... most of the people in these movies. I'd say the exact opposite of what you're saying is true; Marvel has tended towards more well known entities for their films.

Anyway, I'd really like Danvers, Black Panther, or Luke to get their own standalone movies. It's nice that Marvel films do have heroines and heroes of color, but it would be nicer for them to headline their own films.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 25, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can we nip this in the butt, and just not talk about this like it is or even should be that defining a thing for Hank Pym.

If Hank Pym really is the hero of Ant-man, you better get used to people talking about that poo poo because holy god will some people have something to say about a wifebeater being portrayed as a good guy on the silver screen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lurdiak posted:

If Hank Pym really is the hero of Ant-man, you better get used to people talking about that poo poo because holy god will some people have something to say about a wifebeater being portrayed as a good guy on the silver screen.

Eh, Marvel's marketing department has a perfect leg to stand on. "Oh sure 616-Ant Man and 1610-Ant Man hit their wives, but 199999-Ant Man has never done that. The character you're seeing on screen is brand new guys!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lurdiak posted:

The CineD thread will be glorious

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
If it isn't included in the 'text' of the film, it isn't a factor :eng101:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kellsterik posted:

If it isn't included in the 'text' of the film, it isn't a factor :eng101:

Until someone tries to search "Hank Pym Beats Ultron" into google and it auto-completes to "Beats his wife". No, really, go ahead and try it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They'll just turn it into a running gag in the movie, you know play it like a romantic situational comedy mishap. He's opening wine and "bam!", he'll point at something as she's walking up behind him and "Pow!", he'll fist pump when he cracks pym particles and she'll walk into it "Blammo!"

The only cure to Hank Pym not being able to stop hitting his wife is for Hank Pym to not be able to not hit his wife.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SirDan3k posted:

They'll just turn it into a running gag in the movie, you know play it like a romantic situational comedy mishap. He's opening wine and "bam!", he'll point at something as she's walking up behind him and "Pow!", he'll fist pump when he cracks pym particles and she'll walk into it "Blammo!"

The only cure to Hank Pym not being able to stop hitting his wife is for Hank Pym to not be able to not hit his wife.

I think what I want them to do is have Janet punch Hank. Just haul back and deck him, drop him like a sack of old potatoes. If they play him as a bit of a whiny pacifist it wouldn't be hard to justify, and it'd be an amusing twist.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that people will bitch no matter what they do so they might as well try and make it interesting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I think what I want them to do is have Janet punch Hank. Just haul back and deck him, drop him like a sack of old potatoes. If they play him as a bit of a whiny pacifist it wouldn't be hard to justify, and it'd be an amusing twist.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that people will bitch no matter what they do so they might as well try and make it interesting.

No, because then people will only talk about how "Aha, it's referencing how he hit her in comics". The only winning move is not to play talk about it at all. Sure, people will find out about Pym's sordid past the minute Google auto-completes "Ant-Man beats..." but Iron Man's an ex-alcoholic in comics, the movies never once had an plot about it (well, aside from that time that he got smashed in Iron Man 2), and people love Iron Man now!

It's the same problem comic writers constantly have with the character. Nobody needs to worry about fixing Ant-Man. They just need to write a good Ant-Man story and the rest will fall into place.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They will not have domestic abuse in the Ant Man movie, there's absolutely no way. What would anyone stand to gain from it?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Antman has turned into a one note character centered on domestic abuse in the mind of comic spergs, same with Wonder Woman and pants.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Hakkesshu posted:

They will not have domestic abuse in the Ant Man movie, there's absolutely no way. What would anyone stand to gain from it?

Yeah this is obvious. If Iron Man can't be an alcoholic then Pym isn't going to be an abuser.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Hank Pym hitting Jan is the comic book equivalent of some boring video game nerd explaining that Super Mario 2 was ACTUALLY a Japanese game with different sprites. Just a pointless irritating factoid that someone found on a "10 SHOCKING things you didn't know about superheroes" clickbait listicle.

Actually, it's even worse than that because at least the video game thing might have some context attached. Anyone who gives a poo poo about that scene in the comics would never be able to tell you anything about how or why or when it happened.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cap 2 looks really good although the trailer was really light on the Winter Soldier. I really hope he's not just some loving silent antagonist who shows up for fight scenes and has zero development, like Lady Deathstrike in X-Men 2.

There will presumably be later teasers/full trailers which focus more on the Winter Soldier plot. I hope so, anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Hank Pym hitting Jan is the comic book equivalent of some boring video game nerd explaining that Super Mario 2 was ACTUALLY a Japanese game with different sprites. Just a pointless irritating factoid that someone found on a "10 SHOCKING things you didn't know about superheroes" clickbait listicle.

I'm almost certain there was a Cracked list to this effect a few years ago. Hank hitting Jan was on it.

Of course, if Jim Shooter is to be believed, he wasn't even meant to punch her.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Cap 2 looks really good although the trailer was really light on the Winter Soldier. I really hope he's not just some loving silent antagonist who shows up for fight scenes and has zero development, like Lady Deathstrike in X-Men 2.

There will presumably be later teasers/full trailers which focus more on the Winter Soldier plot. I hope so, anyway.

His name is on the movie, so I suspect he'll be a big part of it. They're probably trying not to show too much of him in a futile attempt to obfuscate the "twist".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

irlZaphod posted:

I'm sure there will probably be a trailer a month from release that is all Winter Soldier.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

You folks better hope they never go the Ultimates route with Pym. That version sent his ants against her.

Dexo posted:

The CineD thread will be glorious

But not nearly as glorious as a Black Panther thread. That one is going to be the CD equivalent of the end of days.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Falcon translated surprisingly well to the screen, Winter Soldier himself much less so.

Waterhaul posted:

Redford seems to be sleeping his way through this in the same way that Hopkins slept through Thor.
Redford 100% took this role so he could ham it up as a Comic book villain but they obviously can't show those scenes in the trailer.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

DynamicSloth posted:

Falcon translated surprisingly well to the screen, Winter Soldier himself much less so.

To be fair, I think Winter Soldier actually translated extremely well to the screen. The problem is that Winter Soldier has always looked pretty goony.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

He reminded me entirely too much of Protoman from Mega Man 3.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thor 2 clip. Thor attempts to pilot something, Loki is backseat piloting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jWR-fu_74k

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

DynamicSloth posted:

I think Falcon is going to be a real highlight. He has that same swooshability that makes the Spiderman films feel kinetic.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Actually yeah, the brief shot of Falcon looked really rad. His design looks great. I liked Steve's Super Soldier uniform, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Evans looks like he got a better wig too.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Actually, it's even worse than that because at least the video game thing might have some context attached. Anyone who gives a poo poo about that scene in the comics would never be able to tell you anything about how or why or when it happened.
What's worse is that the person who wrote the article probably only knows about it because Mark Millar had to drag it up and exaggerate it into something it never was in Ultimates.

It's not Pym's sordid past. It's a stupid character moment from decades ago. Lots of heroes have appeared in dumb and embarrassing stories, and as mentioned, this isn't even what Shooter intended. There is also a new generation kids who have grown up with a Pym who is a great character, a pacifist, and someone who is really different than other heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Timeless Appeal posted:

What's worse is that the person who wrote the article probably only knows about it because Mark Millar had to drag it up and exaggerate it into something it never was in Ultimates.

As poo poo as Millar is, he's but one of a large fraternity of writers who have decided that THEY are the ones to finally address the wife beating once and for all!

It was so endemic Dan Slott made him the best scientist ever double pinky promise just to give him another character trait.

• Locked thread