Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Eh! Frank posted:

Gonna have to flat-out disagree with you on this. The opening Nightcrawler scene is still amazing, the only thing even remotely terrible in the CGI is possibly his tail.

Yeah sorry. I meant to say the Nightcrawler tail CGI is really, really bad. Both the tail iteself and when he throws dudes around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't remember the Nightcrawler sequence looking bad at all...that Doc Ock train fight definitely looks animated as hell during part of it, though. It's still a pretty great sequence (aside from the fact that there's no elevated train in Manhattan).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah sorry. I meant to say the Nightcrawler tail CGI is really, really bad. Both the tail iteself and when he throws dudes around.
Yeah, that's chancy stuff. But that inky smoke-cloud that he disappears in and out of is perfect.

GraphX-Man
Apr 1, 2007

I thought the mansion invasion and Nightcrawler sequence in X2 were boring -- in LARGE part due to John Ottman's score/overuse of opera background chorus. There was a major disconnect between the visuals and the soundtrack. I preferred the Kamen score in X-Men and think it holds up.

Ottman's scoring DOFP. :bang:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I kind was with this

Billy Idle posted:

I'm not gonna lie, that trailer made me feel pretty hyped, but unless the entire film is composed of random scenes of tragedy overlaid with portentous music and a masterful Patrick Stewart voice-over, I'll probably be disappointed.

Then i read this

Billy Idle posted:

edit: And it's a loving travesty that there's going to be no Cyclops in this movie. gently caress Twentieth Century Fox for whatever bug they have up their rear end about that guy.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
If they don't use Cyclops for so long can Marvel just take him back? Or it is an all encompassing thing that there's no way they can't lose anyone if they fall under the X-Men?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Cyclops doesn't have a lot going for him if they can't use mutants or the X-Men.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Kellsterik posted:

Cyclops doesn't have a lot going for him if they can't use mutants or the X-Men.

The children of Magneto apparently get a free pass, I don't see why Cyke can't.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It's a bundle, Marvel doesn't have the rights to every mutant who hasn't been in a movie yet. I think they (and most other superhero media) have to be careful about how they use the word mutant. Quicksilver and Wanda are different because they are much more strongly associated with the Avengers.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

So then I guess the next question is who owns Namor? I feel like I don't see him much in comics anymore due to his weird rights issues.

Also, I'd really like to see Marvel F with Fox by having the robot Human Torch appear in more things besides just a cameo in Captain America.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Namor is with the Fantastic Four rights.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Diabetic posted:

So then I guess the next question is who owns Namor? I feel like I don't see him much in comics anymore due to his weird rights issues.

Also, I'd really like to see Marvel F with Fox by having the robot Human Torch appear in more things besides just a cameo in Captain America.

Fox has FF and X-Men, so it's definitely them. If that weren't the case I could see an argument that he should go with X-Men, but since he's shifted towards X-Men since the rights were sold I think it'd go with FF. Otherwise Marvel could just shift everyone into the Avengers now and take the movie rights back.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I kind was with this

Then i read this

It still blows my mind that they completely ditched arguably one of the most iconic characters on the team. Then again, there is very little about X-Men 3 that isn't ridiculous.

Except for the score. Holy hell did it have a great soundtrack that it totally didn't deserve.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Cyclops for sure out or are they saving him for some big twist? Singer seems to like him, or at least Marsden, wouldn't surprise me if they pulled something like the Colossus reveal in Whedon's run

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Opopanax posted:

Is Cyclops for sure out or are they saving him for some big twist? Singer seems to like him, or at least Marsden, wouldn't surprise me if they pulled something like the Colossus reveal in Whedon's run

I'd bet on a surprise reveal in the rectified timeline at the end.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Namor is with the Fantastic Four rights.

Actually, Universal has the rights according to Kevin Feige.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

"We're doing another X-Men movie, look at all the characters, there's time travel, it's the past and future X-Men, you know these guys" is not bad work for the first trailer to get across.

Hell, I know Fan Bingbing is likely in there just so China knows she's in the movie, but that alone gives me a bit more hope for this one than X-Men 3. At least she kind of looks like Blink, and the guy playing Bishop has the important visual cues down too. It shows a basic level of craft and care that Ratner's film didn't have. Also amused that Charles' level of idealism is apparently inversely proportional to how much hair he has.

Still nothing as purely indicative of character as the elevator beat from the Cap trailer though. That made me grin like a doofus, much like the bullies exchange with Tucci in the first one, it's so perfectly in line with who Steve is.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Opopanax posted:

Marsden said he's not attached.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Horrible Taste posted:

Actually, Universal has the rights according to Kevin Feige.

Universal? What's the last superhero movie they put out? Cowboys & Aliens?

E: That DOFP trailer isn't doing it for me. The mopey music combined with aimless action doesn't work unless there's the sense that something can be lost, and that isn't really the case in a time travel story. Plus "I need you to hope again" is the worst trailer ending since the Green Lantern oath.

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 30, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

GraphX-Man posted:

I thought the mansion invasion and Nightcrawler sequence in X2 were boring -- in LARGE part due to John Ottman's score/overuse of opera background chorus. There was a major disconnect between the visuals and the soundtrack.
Are you seriously smack-talking Dies Irae and/or its suitability for use when bad poo poo is going down? Because I will Internet fight you.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Diabetic posted:

What? He was in Fraction's X-Men, then was a big player in AvX and is now in New Avengers. He's appearing in comics very regularly right now.

e: How did Universal get the FF rights?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fox has the FF rights. Universal just has the rights to Namor.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Here's the details about Namor:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/08/23/namor-the-sub-mariner-remains-at-universal-rights-have-not-reverted-to-marvel/

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Thor: The Dark World is better than the current reigning champs; Iron Man 3 and Thor.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Thor: The Dark World is better than the current reigning champs; Iron Man 3 and Thor.

Reigning champs of what? Sloppy screenwriting and disappointing execution?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, you!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

What are you like, honestly!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seriously though, are you referring to those as the reigning champs of superhero movies, Marvel movies, or just Marvel Studios movies? Whichever it is I disagree, but I'm just curious.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Those were the two marvel studio movies I enjoyed most.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fair enough. A lot of people like those two but I had big problems with both.

My two picks would be Iron Man and Captain America.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's interesting because if I had to pick one of these films as sloppy screenwriting and disappointing execution. Well, it would be Iron Man 2 hands down, but a distant second would be Captain America, which I think is a really fantastic film until it actually starts moving anywhere and then I just can barely sit through it until it picks up at the ending.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

That's interesting because if I had to pick one of these films as sloppy screenwriting and disappointing execution. Well, it would be Iron Man 2 hands down,

At least everyone can agree on that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Don't say that, someone will always dislodge themselves from whatever sticky membrane they hide in to come and prove you wrong.

I will say, regardless of how people end up feeling about Thor: The Dark World, it does have two of the best jokes in any of these films so far and is refreshingly deft with how it incorporates the whole 'conjoined Frankenstein universe' thing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

This is still bizarre. Only way I can make sense of it is to think someone was sniffing glue and lost it in a poker match.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm going to see Thor: The Dark World tonight and I'm quite looking forward to it. I probably prefer Iron Man 1 over 3, I just felt 3 meandered a little too much in the middle. Captain America just felt very rushed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

At least everyone can agree on that.

Iron Man 2 is quite possibly the best of the Phase 1 movies. I think Iron Man 3 edges it out, but 2 has some of the best scenes in the MCU as a whole.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think I might be one of the few who thought Incredible Hulk was the best of the current Marvel films (Iron Man 1 a close second). Thor was my least favourite, followed by Iron Man 2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Incredible Hulk gets incredibly (ha) underrated. I think it suffers a lot from not getting the same level of callbacks that the rest of phase 1 gets. There no Nick Fury cameo, the RDJ cameo is precredits (meaning there's no "proper" post-credit marvel scene), none of the supporting cast comes back in future movies, and they had to recast the main character when Avengers came around.

All that leads Incredible Hulk to feel rather....orphaned in the grand scheme of the marvel cinematic universe.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Don't say that, someone will always dislodge themselves from whatever sticky membrane they hide in to come and prove you wrong.

jivjov posted:

Iron Man 2 is quite possibly the best of the Phase 1 movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And of course it's Jivjov.

I think Incredible Hulk gets overlooked because it's a whiplash remake of a far better film to adhere to the throbbing marketing entity that is the MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE. Which is a shame because Tim Roth at the campus should have been the go to for how Cap did poo poo in his own movie.

• Locked thread