Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Shield.

Shield wants to exploit Wakanda and Black Panther isn't going to tolerate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Public interest in the sequels will be hard to gauge against the first movie because it looks like they're throwing all the poo poo they have against the wall.

But I loved Man of Steel, and this Halloween I saw more kids dressed as superman than ever, and that makes me feel happy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And thanks to Guillermo Del Toro it will probably be well liked, but way over budget and a financially unsuccessful.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope he fights that guy that's literally an orangutan with low human intelligence.

Or Clown 9.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

It's not a matter of immunity to his own powers per se. It's more a physics argument.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If Cyke is shooting a beam from his eyes forward with 50 newtons of force, then 50 newtons of force is pushing back against his head/eyes/neck at the same time. Or look at it this way. You have a cannon strapped to your head and it fires. All the energy being used to blast the cannonball out and forward is also being applied to your head in the other direction.

But there's a hole in the back of the cannon to another dimension, the cannonball dimension. All the blast force is going right back to the cannonball dimension.

Aren't Cyclops eyes literally a portal to another dimension?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, as ham handedly as Bryan Singer tried to link being gay and being a mutant, the metaphor simply doesn't hold up beyond the most simple "I was born this way".

The scene in X2 where Ice Man's parents ask him "Have you tried not being a mutant?" is so eyeroll inducing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure that scene was based off either Bryan Singer or Ian Mckellens own coming out.

Yes, it's a realistic scene if someone was coming out as gay. Not so much if you are coming out as "I have the ability to create ice."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

That isn't something which would happen in real life though. Being gay is.

It doesn't matter how far you can or can't stretch the metaphor, it's still a very valid metaphor (not just for being gay). Different people can read different things into it.

And you may think it's an eyerolling line, but it has literally been said by a lot of parents of gay kids.

I know, I've been in the room when it's been said to my best friend. That's why I think it's application to having superpowers is silly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's Sue Richards, obviously. Jack never called her back.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well nothing can stop a man with wings. A man with wings can do anything. ANYTHING!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You have issues of versimillitude in that case however since Sony controls the Spideyverse. After spidey appears ok avengers, they could do things completely incongruous and at odds with the MCU's direction in their own future film, and Marvel is very protective of its continuity.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

The face, yeah maybe. No, she does not look like she can beat up anyone.

She can bulk up as easily as Affleck or Cavill

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's an unfair side by side. There's much more slender designs of Wonder Woman out there and pictures of Gal where she doesn't look like a runway model.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We don't really know Been Affleck's Batman or Bruce Wayne and what they are like at all. And Wonder Woman hasn't been popular in the mainstream since the seventies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe Wonder Woman never actually shows up in the new movie and you spend the whole film waiting for Gadot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Team films are different. Nobody complained about X men for instance by saying you can't possibly have a movie with Wolverine and Rogue and Cyclops and Jean Grey and Storm and Prof X and Toad and Mystique and Magneto and Wildbeast it's just too many characters.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Diane Kruger for Hippolyta

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey, he was great as Biff in Death of a Salesman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just go all out and get James Earl Jones to voice a CG Apocalypse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I feel like Tom Hardy's wacky Bane voice would actually work for Apoc

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
David Duchovny is Star Fox and Gillian Anderson is She-Hulk.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Haha a captain Britain movie would rule. They could pair that with a Moon Knight movie (he is French, non?) to work up to the Eurovengers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dacap posted:

Fair, but Singer had plans for Archangel as far back as X2 so I could see him trying to use the character again now that it's thematically relevant. He was completely pointless in The Last Stand though.

Not completely pointless. He was this guy with a major deformity (wings) and was pressured to get himself "fixed", but by embracing his otherness discovered it was actually a thing of beauty and inspired hope. If anything that was the most Singer-like thing in there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not sure why people are so excited about that Godzilla teaser. I think it looks terrible. More human melodrama with a monster in the background sometimes. Godzilla movies are the best when they're all about the monster and crazy poo poo is happening.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

teagone posted:

This is exactly what I got from the trailer :confused:

Really? All I got is shots of various actors looking scared or forlorn, the military parachuting in with characters the film looks to be centered on taking vaguely about courage and resolve.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah so was Godzilla 98.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

I wonder if this in reaction to Webb saying that neither he or Garfield are signed on for Spider-Man 4 which also has a release date.

Also c'mon Superior Foes film.

And I'm reiterating my earlier statement that we're reaching saturation point.

Wait, they made the same mistake with the exact same franchise two times in a row, both times involving venom?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

You do if you want to change who he is completely and take a steaming dump on all he once represented.

But Bryan Singer did that and he didn't have an origin story in his movie?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They really need to do a superhero animals film with marvel properties from Disney animation like, yesterday. I'd say Pixar but they probably consider licensed content beneath them.

Also a Howard the Duck sequel from George Lucas. No reboots please.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Strontosaurus posted:

There are actually a fair number of superhero animal films, animated or otherwise, already produced (Turbo, G-Force, Underdog, to name a few). With the exception of Bolt, however, these sort of movies do not perform well critically, especially considering how lenient people tend to be toward children's movies. Maybe Disney can make it work but the genre feels particularly creatively bankrupt. They still make fucktons of money, of course, so what do I know.

Yeah but those aren't marvel characters. Does Marvel or Sony own the rights to Spider-Ham?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Incredible Hulk wasn't even all that terrible, just mediocre. I'd probably watch it again, once.

I want a new Howard the Duck but that will never happen. He could replace Squirrel Girl in the great lakes Avengers since she's a mutant so probably belongs with Fox. Or supplement her if Disney has the rights. Beverly should be played by someone who probably can't act, like Kate Upton or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He is not in the suit for action sequences very much at all until near the end of Iron Man 3, so maybe you wouldn't like it, but I think this actually made the movie better and the out of suit action sequences are very inventive and show off the character's ingenuity and improvisation really well.

Check it out. Bonus: It's a christmas movie, so it's a perfect time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What does a Hawkeye solo story even look like? I mean, I know what a green arrow story looks like but Hawkeye in his private life is basically just a mercenary isn't he? Who's his nemesis, Bullseye I imagine?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hawkeye, quick! Bullseye is robbing a Target!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

If only there was a Hawkeye solo series that might answer this question. One that is critically and commercially acclaimed, even.

M.A.S.H?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well Pegg and Wright are a will known and well regarded team, they aren't really separate unrelated things.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
One person having super strength, one having stretching, and one having the combination of force fields and invisibility ain't really generic. Especially that last one, especially combined with the other two. Oh and also a super powerful ill defined baby.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah Sue and Reed have a kid that's like, an alpha level mutant or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boogaleeboo posted:

His super power is omnipotence. He clearly won the genetic lottery with that one.

Is he like Scarlet Witch but with more control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who do you think they'll get to play Don Cheadle? I hope it's Idris Elba.

• Locked thread