Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wasn't there talk for a while of rebooting Daredevil? Anything going on with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'll probably get crucified for this (and ordinarily would never suggest it), but Tim Burton seems like a pretty good choice to direct Dr. Strange. Just leave Johnny Depp out of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dacap posted:

Marvel just announced that Vincent D'Onofrio is Kingpin in the Netflix Daredevil

I had to look him up because I always get him confused with Adam Baldwin. Yesterday I learned why.

When I was a kid, I saw a movie called My Bodyguard with Chris Makepeace, Matt Dillon and a guy who I thought looked an awful lot like Animal Mother from Full Metal Jacket (which D'Onofrio kinda sorta does).

When I looked up film credits on IMDB, I saw D'Onofrio was in FMJ and always just assumed it was the same dude all these years. Same with "the bug" in MIB. Here's why I thought they were the same guy:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5029/14065865074_456497c385_m.jpg

http://trendspig.com/static/045094c8e0b372ac79fb3aa6a43032aa.jpg

It's all indicative of nothing really and has nothing to do with comic books, but it's weird that until yesterday I never recognized D'Onofrio in FMJ and always thought he played Animal Mother and not Private Pyle. Here's why:

http://whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/vincent.jpg

Come to think of it, looking at that image, stick a cigar in his mouth and a white suit on him and he'll be an awesome Kingpin.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

That really is inspired casting.

Has anyone else been cast? I always though Damon would have made a better Matt Murdock. I know we're not getting Damon in a Netflix series of course but perhaps someone like him. I can't think of anyone.

Fake edit:

Charlie Cox.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...r=Entertainment

Hm. I've only seen him in Boardwalk Empire so I have no idea. As much as the Daredevil movie got wrong (Affleck, Garner, script, certain stunts) it got a lot right (Michael Clarke Duncan, Colin Farrell, John Favreau, radar effects, some of the fights). I hope they can build on that because if you just pick and choose carefully from what Miller and Bendis did and ground the loving movie a bit, there's a great film/series in there somewhere.

Looking forward to this. Any chance they can squeeze The Punisher into it or is that caught up in licensing?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

He's based on the Ultimate version, who was white

Gaz-L posted:

We got white Nick Fury, though? He just had two eyes and was played by Tommy Lee Jones and had a different rank and name.

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait what the gently caress? Kingpin is always white. Isn't michael clarke duncan the only black version of kingpin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingpin_(comics)

Pretty sure Fried Chicken was making a joke right there, guys.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Thomas Jane has continued to state he will gladly play the Punisher in any media.

I hear a lot of people say this but I can never, ever take him seriously because I only learned of him from Boogie Nights and Deep Blue Sea, particularly the former. Every loving time I see him in anything I just think of this goofball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGp-4NP76MM

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 12, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

No, I'm pretty sure he was dead serious

OK, Fair enough. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Anyway, Ving Rhames should be Kingpin.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

The concept of a Shazam superhero movie is awesome and I would totally watch it.

Totally agree.

TwoPair posted:

That said... Shazam is a loving dumb name and if they're legit going to do a movie about the guy they have got to figure out a better name.

Totally disagree. Shazam is the perfect title for it. It's iconic, everyone knows what it means and I really doubt any Gomer Pyle connection is an issue. Like you said, you can't do Captain Marvel so what the gently caress else do you call it? gently caress, you could even put a cameo/one liner from an army private as a callback/homage if you wantd to.

What DC is doing with their films is weird (probably because they haven't had the commercial success that Marvel has aside from Batman) but if they pull off the connectivity between them all like Marvel has done it'd be really great to get a big screen version of Kingdom Come one day. poo poo. Even an animated version would be OK by me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I just think it's dumb to have the character yell his own name to transform and have thought so since the New 52 started.

"SHAZAM" is not his name. It's an acronym for the name of six gods.

volumecontrol posted:

This will never happen. Like never. Like even in an alternate universe where DC takes the Marvel route, starts their own studio, and stops needing the WB machine to make things go. This seems to be the pipe dream movie of nerds everywhere (hell, including myself), but a movie that requires 10+ years of comic knowledge where 75% of the leads are septuagenarians is not exactly a bank-buster, and therefore would never be greenlit.

I could see an animated version of it happening like DKR, Bartman: Year One, Planet Hulk, All Star Supserman, etc. Bout you're probably right about a live action Kingdom Come being a pipe dream.

volumecontrol posted:

This will never happen. Like never. Like even in an alternate universe where DC takes the Marvel route, starts their own studio, and stops needing the WB machine to make things go. This seems to be the pipe dream movie of nerds everywhere (hell, including myself), but a movie that requires 10+ years of comic knowledge where 75% of the leads are septuagenarians is not exactly a bank-buster, and therefore would never be greenlit.

That's not a bad idea either. I wonder if they should ham it up with talking tigers and evil worm scientists or try and play it straight.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Shazam is one of those ideas, like Runaways, that is so easy to translate into a movie that maybe the reason they don't exist is that no one wants to be known as the person who hosed up a sure thing.

I mean come on, a 12 year old who can turn into a Superhero at the shout of a super duper iconic word is the easiest thing in the world to write, it's a loving slam dunk.

Except, again, how do you play it? I guess the smart thing to do with it is script it as an adolescent wish fulfillment fantasy (like you said) through the eyes of a child (Billy Batson) and aim it at kids a bit more, but what about all the other weird stuff in that comic?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

He is called Shazam now.

Well I'll be damned. :eng99:

I am :corsair: and still picture the character riding around in an RV hooking up with Isis and poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't see how Batman is going to fit into the Man of Steel universe they've set up at all really. Skipping the backstory is a good idea but it feels...rushed or something. For the record, I loved MOS, even though I'm not a big Superman fan, and I loved the Nolan Batman trilogy and love Batman but I never thought the two characters fit together, in the same vein and for the same reasons as Thor always bothered me in The Avengers.

I wish someone would just film TDKR and get it the gently caress over with. The animated version they did was really good and the timing right now, what with the popularity of superhero films, the political climate, global tensions and overall paranoia couldn't be better. Plus everyone know that book by now and has achieved classic status. Maybe that's they're going to try and do with Superman v Batman, since Man of Steel establishes Kal-El cooperating with the government, but I think a more Marvel approach; with maybe a Batman reboot covering the first two books of TDKR and then a tie in with Superman in MOS 3 would work better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I found out Cap 2 doesn't come out until September

What? Or do you mean on DVD/Netflix, etc?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

There is a reason if DC wants to do it like Marvel did it. The reason is "because Marvel did it like that".

Everyone's ignoring that more movies equals more money. I'd assume that's another reason to handle it that way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

None of these things you list are intrinsic to setting up a character or their relationship to each other, which is actually one of the major benefits of the movies prior to Avengers.

What we need setup in the JLA for each character is Who They Are and What Their Motives are, not What Their Powers Are, and it's very strange to compare that to films that had a planned 10-hours-of-movie arc. Hell, in Fellowship, you don't really understand much about Boromir, Gimli, Legolas, or even Aragorn.

Exactly this and very well put. Forgetting the money motive for doing the origin films, like others have said you need to establish motivation and backstory for why these characters assemble in the first place. That was a big part of why Avengers actually worked. It has nothing to do with their powers.

edit:

Wasn't there talk of a Plastic Man movie for a while? Whatever happened to that? Because I think it could be pretty fun if you handled like The Mask and got the right actor and writers for it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 11, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

None of the movies established why they would get together other than them simply being Good Guys.

Yes they did. (?!)

Lobok posted:

The movies showed how they might come together, in the form of SHIELD, but nothing about that needs a half-dozen movies to explain or setup and it wasn't even necessary anyway to have someone corral them instead of having them find each other or meet by happenstance.

Maybe it didn't require all those films, sure, but they DID show how it all connects (Mjolnir, the Cosmic Cube, Stark's technology, etc.) You can't just say "the movies didn't tell us why they unite except for SHIELD" when SHIELD (and the larger enemy, Loki) was the loving reason. The Marvel films absolutely established that. Even Incredible Hulk tied it in with the super serum that Captain America took.

Having them meet "by happenstance" makes no sense at all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think the actress playing May is incredibly underused and Ben was pretty good as well. So loving glad they didn't feel it was required to say "WITH GREAT POWER BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH"

That was a pretty decent post you made but you've seriously never heard of Sally Field before?

This looks rather cool but I'm not sure how you'd get it to make sense in context of the film unless Osbourne just went out and bought a Halloween mask somewhere and for some reason.

Actually, that makes perfect sense and probably would have worked. Just have the rest of the costume/glider be the military stuff and have Defoe say "oh, poo poo. I can't be seen riding this around and wearing this stuff" and then he just buys a cheap mask second hand or has an old Halloween costume laying around.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 15, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Or you know, you run with the whole African mask thing from a later scene and just put it in earlier in the movie that Norman's a weirdo who likes scary faces a little too much.

I'd forgotten about that. That's even better. Just make more tribal looking and have it be something he pulls off his wall.

edit: How are they doing Ultron without Hank Pym? Just substituting Stark as the creator?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 16, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The hulk dogs were one of the few things about that movie I liked.

*hides*

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I saw it on CNN and was surprised no one's posted it here yet but here's the Affleck Batsuit they revealed at ComicCon.

http://www.slashfilm.com/ben-affleck-batsuit/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

I too look forward to Snyder making Dark Knight Returns suck, more. That book does not hold up like people think it does.

Can you elaborate? I think it holds up great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

When was the last time you read it? I picked up a TPB back up a month ago while replacing stuff lost in a fire and it's just dull stock Miller to me. Transformative for the time it was released but the fight is the only thing that actually stands out anymore and I'm not sure if that's just nostalgia or not.

I watched the animated version not too long ago and thought the central themes held up really well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shindragon posted:

So should be the thread change be to American isn't Ready for a Black Dr. Strange?

I'd answer this if I could parse this sentence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Since I want a new Hulk movie more than anything, so you think the success of guardians could open up possibilities for Planet Hulk or something like that? I'm still in a quandary as to why Marvel won't commit to another Hulk picture, given that Ruffalo stole the show in Avengers. Is it just that the first two didn't make all that much money?

Putting Hulk in space would breathe a little new life into the "Hulk runs amok on earth/military chases him" format that that every other treatment of the character has done and that has definitely grown a bit stale.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Origin stories tend to be the best superhero movies though.

I was about to chime in with the same thought. Batman Begins, Superman and Iron Man immediately sprung to mind but the more I thought about it maybe that's not true when you consider Daredevil and Fantastic Four. Then there's the origin films that people are divided on, some of which I really liked (Man of Steel, ASM, Blade) and some I didn't (Thor, Captain America, Punisher, Spiderman, Hulk) so I don't think it's as cut and dried as "origin stories or better" and "origin stories suck" as much it is the storytelling.

Iron Man and Batman Begins are probably the best of the bunch but I'm not sure how much of that is due to origins being better or just that happened to be really well done.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

jivjov posted:

Eh, that's kinda hit or miss. Take something like Spiderman where the whole "Uncle Ben gets shot, great power/responsibility" or Superman "escaped child of a doomed planet raised in Kansas" origin stories are part of the cultural zeitgeist, and yeah an origin story movie is gonna feel overdone.

But Doctor Strange? My only knowledge of Strange's origin comes from posts on this very forum. There's a way to balance it though. Tell an origin without making the whole movie ABOUT the origin.

This. Iron Man needed an origin story because he was sort of a b-list hero. Batman didn't need one but they did it in such an original and modern way that they made it fresh somehow. I'd argue the same about Man of Steel but I know that movie gets a bad rap.

Dr. Strange seems like a good fit for an origin story to me. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Tim Burton (at one time) would have been the perfect director for it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

edit: n/m

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I still think the best plot for an Avengers movie is to have them all trying bring in the Hulk.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So not much mention in the thread of the new Sin City movie. Anyone seen it? I liked the first one but I'm not hearing good things about this one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

redbackground posted:

The AV Club C- review told me everything I needed to know--highly diminished returns, nothing new brought to the table, and more bad CG.

I read that review too. I'm OK with more of the same personally. Re-reading the graphic novels a while ago and they've aged horribly. Although I still really appreciate the art and think it was Miller's peak, the stories get pretty redundant (whores, blood, torture, corruption, fighting, guns, more whores, etc.)

Ronin might make a decent film. I think it's underrated in the Miller pantheon but I haven't read it in a while.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Did you guys really even like the first one that much? I'm big into comic books and I thought it was loving terrible.

I enjoyed quite a bit, yes. Still do. The style was really fun to look at and a lot of the performances were very good, particularly Mickey Rourke's. I liked 300 also so I don't know. Maybe I just like eye candy to an extent. Smoking weed helps in this regard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

There were actually 2 Hulk video games in the PS2 generation, and surprise surprise the one that makes you play as Banner sometimes is dumb, whereas Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is the best game ever (you smash buses and skateboard down the street on them, play this game)

This. This guy right here knows what's up. That game owned loving bones.

theflyingorc posted:

Both of these are correct opinions, actually.

I think the dichotomy between Bruce Banner and Hulk is pretty interesting, but that doesn't mean that it makes for a good action film.

Agreed. It's classic Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with a dash of Frankenstein and maybe Godzilla thrown in. The thing that always irks me about Hulk is how easy he is to write but how so may writers gently caress it up. The TV show actually nailed a good bit of it.

I think that's also the down side too though. Every writer goes out of their way to avoid the cliches I mentioned and winds up spiraling into something boring. The character of Banner is hardly the problem. Avengers showed as much. So did TIH.

edit:

Slugworth posted:

As in, a giant green CGI monster can't be the star of a movie.

http://cdn.thewire.com/media/img/upload/wire/2014/05/19/shrek1/lead_large.jpg

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140523235651/godzilla/images/7/7b/Legendary_Godzilla.png

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 27, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Marvel Hulk would be 1000 times more interesting if they treated him like an unstoppable force of rage/monster that may or may not be beneficial to humanity the way Godzilla is treated.

This too. That would be the best Hulk film. Just a straight up monster movie where nobody knows what the gently caress's going on, even believes it when they see it on CNN and no one can take him down. The more they shoot at him, the more he wrecks poo poo and the stronger he gets.

Before you know it, everyone is watching TV wondering what the gently caress this giant green thing is as everyone is advised to stay inside and seek shelter.

ninja edit: Then they call in The Avengers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Read this as "Ray Stevens" and was incredibly, incredible confused.

I think you meant "excited".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Goyer's issue was this was his first real directorial effort with a franchise star who knew he held all the cards.

I'm not sure Marvel is in a hurry to hire Snipes. He was good in the Blade movies but 90% of the time his acting was him standing around being stoic.

If they do bring Blade back I'd rather they play up his weird backstory. The fact that he's a 100 year old British black half-vampire who was raised in a bordello.

He's pretty good most of the time I think. Jungle Fever and White Men Can't Jump were pretty good and (it's been a while since I've seen the Blade films) he seemed pretty good in those too.

Googling his filmography though, there's an awful lot of poo poo so maybe he's overrated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Thomas Jane is much like Ryan Reynolds in that he really likes a character with an extreme amount of passion and keeps trying to star in that role, but is a bad loving actor and not fit for it at all.

This. I can't take him seriously in the role because I always think of that dork he played in Boogie Nights.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I finally got around to seeing Iron Man 3 and is it me or is it clearly the weakest of the bunch? I know IM2 catches a lot of poo poo but this one was way worse. I didn't even finish it and turned if off once I got the little bullied kid.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Devo posted:

My kids were 4 and 7 and I was mainly worried about the 4 year old since she can get nightmares. I also generally don't want them seeing guys holding guns to other guys' heads.

Don't listen to these assholes. 4 is way too young to watch IM3, let alone loving Robocop.

Plus, IM3 sucked, so that's another reason for them not to watch it.

edit. Both Thor movies sucked too.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 4, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Planet Limbaugh and World War Limbaugh are comics I really want to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Rush-Revere-B...rds=rush+revere

greatn posted:

Slatterly will get you nowhere.

:golfclap:

MooselanderII posted:

These same people predicted that DOFP would be a god awful train wreck and have now decided that Iron Man 3 was the worst Marvel film.

Iron Man 3 sucked pretty bad. I'll get into my reasons for hating it when I have more time. It's not the worst Marvel film but it'd definitely the worst of the trilogy.

Slugworth posted:

I, uh... Yeah.... I mean, I don't think I posted about it, and the first trailer made it clear how monumentally wrong I was, but I totally thought 'this might be Marvel's first big flop in awhile' when I first heard about it.

I thought it'd tank pretty hard myself. It looked so god damned goofy. It still does. I'll see it eventually since I've heard so many great things about it but count me as one of the people who said "no loving way will this work."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

They've already made the perfect Fantastic Four movie. It was called The Incredibles.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy though. Girls don't buy superhero toys and boys don't buy fairytale stuff. So they don't make stuff for them or market it to them. So they don't have anything to buy/know there IS anything to buy. So they don't buy it. So the suits hear that girls don't buy superhero toys...

Same thing that leads to no video games being made with female protagonists. They 'sell less' so they get lower marketing pushes and budges, so they sell less, so they get lower marketing....

I think there's some truth to this. I was about to post something similar but you did it better than I would have.

To be fair, I also think it's hard to blame executives for this sort of thing. I mean, the majority of superhero comic book readers, video game players and action movie ticket buyers ARE young males. This transcends comics and video games too. Think of sports cars, beer, football, boxing and MMA, sports talk radio...stuff like giant fighting robots and monster movies.

I don't think the success of a game like Tomb Raider was the result of tapping into a previously undiscovered demographic and that the protagonist was female. Probably the percentage of people who bought that game that were male was roughly the same ratio as any other popular game.

Similarly, I don't think the failure of movies like Les Miserables, Chicago and Sweeney Todd to attract huge male audiences has much to do at all with marketing and more to do with the fact that, by and large, when it's movie night, men want to go see "X-Men 6" then go home and watch the fight while women want to see "Rent 2" and then go for sushi.

I'm not sure I worded those two paragraphs very well and they sound horribly misogynist but that's not what I meant to do.

TL/DR: Most people that are interested in superhero comic books are men/boys/man-children (like me). Most people interested in musicals and romantic comedies are women. I don't think that's because of marketing, but marketing perpetuates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

The reason you thought that sounded horribly sexist is because it is, and so are you if you really think that

OK. Fair enough. Except I was attempting to address the nature of marketing and getting into the chicken and egg thing of "do more men read comic books because boys like 'fights in tights' or do more boys like superhero comics because those things are marketed at them?"

Is it fair to say that more men enjoy football, fight sports and video games than women do? How do I address the demographic reality without sounding like a dick? All the marketing in the world is not going to make my wife or my mother want to watch a PPV boxing event, Pacific Rim or RoboCop any more than she already doesn't. All the marketing in the world isn't going to make want to watch 'Dancing With Stars" or 'Sex in the City" any more than I already don't.

I seriously didn't mean to sound as "sexist" as I already admitted to (thanks for taking it easy on me) and I am far from a sexist. I don't think it's sexist or misogynist to point out that, often, men and women have very different tastes in things, seek entertainment in different genres and care about different stuff. Am I making this up? Did I invent it?

I was just seriously wondering how much effect marketing has on the issue, admitted that I worded it poorly, cited the well written post that addressed it pretty well and wondering which came first.

Then you came in and zinged with a one liner calling me a sexist without addressing any specifics. And you don't know me at all.

• Locked thread