Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

"We're doing another X-Men movie, look at all the characters, there's time travel, it's the past and future X-Men, you know these guys" is not bad work for the first trailer to get across.

Hell, I know Fan Bingbing is likely in there just so China knows she's in the movie, but that alone gives me a bit more hope for this one than X-Men 3. At least she kind of looks like Blink, and the guy playing Bishop has the important visual cues down too. It shows a basic level of craft and care that Ratner's film didn't have. Also amused that Charles' level of idealism is apparently inversely proportional to how much hair he has.

Still nothing as purely indicative of character as the elevator beat from the Cap trailer though. That made me grin like a doofus, much like the bullies exchange with Tucci in the first one, it's so perfectly in line with who Steve is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hemsworth and Evans understand that for their characters to work, they need to commit fully. RDJ, SLJ, even Scarlett can wink at the camera, roll their eyes a little and it fits, Thor and Cap need to be totally earnest. Not stick-in-the-muds, they can be funny, but the fish-out-of-water humour needs to be played sincere, and the honourable nature can't be tongue-in-cheek. In some ways, they're the hardest roles, because you've got to play the pure hero without seeming like a parody.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Of all the callbacks to the previous movies (and the Chris Evans cameo is awesome) I think my favourite might actually be that Kat Dennings' character still can't pronounce Mjolnir.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I think I heard maybe two words he said because the whole theater was busy flipping out.

He was also clearly having a ball.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Affleck as Batman for the common man. Jeans, T-shirt with a bat on it, dishtowel cape!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

He's wearing hand-me-downs from the Thomas Jane Punisher movie with a cape.

I actually really liked Man of Steel, and I'm cautiously optimistic for Batman vs Superman or whatever the gently caress they'll call it, but everything announced makes it sound so desperate.

That would be because it is desperate. The desperate cry of a Warner Bros who thought all the discussion of Avengers and JLA movie franchises was just bar talk, the sort of thing you say you'll totally do one day while nursing the night's 3rd pitcher. Then Disney/Marvel totally did it and ruined everything!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

Maaaan I would have been down for that. Who is old man Bruce Wayne, then?

Clint Eastwood.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dana Delaney best Lois. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

It wasn't THAT bad. The helmet just didn't quite work. The rest of the outfit was fine.

Yeah, I'm shocked at how many people like the awkward WW2 costume better. The best he looked in those scenes was the prison rescue sequence with the bomber jacker over the stage costume.

ninja edit: OK, looking back over pictures, instead of my memory, the WW2 one isn't as bad as I remember, but the shoulder pads still bug me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I just want to see him fight THE WALL

Is Spidey weak to the chokeslam?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I think that got retconned away as using the iron in red blood cells to deprive parts of the brain of oxygen. Then someone realized that meant he could kill nearly anyone, or lobotomize even Professor Xavier at will, and someone got a no-prise for figuring out how little iron is in the bloodstream/entire human body in reference to him. After that he suddenly lost the ability to effect blood-flow more than very slightly.

If you're curious it's roughly 2.5 grams in the blood, and 1g in the rest of the body. For reference that 2.5g of iron in your blood is roughly the same mass as a penny.

Then you get the situation from X2... and the comically large syringe Rebecca Romijn pulls out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strontosaurus posted:

"Have you tried not being a mutant?" is my favorite line from any of those movies. It's obviously a joke.

Yeah, the absurdity of asking Bobby that is the whole point of the joke. It's highlighting the absurdity of asking a gay kid the same thing.

It's not my favourite line though. That would be about a third of McKellan's lines, where he just dips into the camp a superhero movie needs sometimes.
:v: "We love what you've done with your hair."
:rolleyes:"You homo sapiens and your guns..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting that they're going with the Ultimate style looks for Electro and Rhino, but Osborn's still on the glider, instead of the green Hulk/demon hybrid he was in those books.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

ASM Goblin is iconic; nobody cares about what the Rhino looks like, or the goofy looking ASM Electro either.

So iconic that if you asked anyone on the street, they'd tell you he looks like Willem Dafoe in a Kamen Rider outfit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Okay Singer, you better get Cyclops for an Apocalypse movie. Also Cable.

Leave Cyke dead. Have Marsden play Cable. No-one says a thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

Let's get Jackman to play Cyclops too. That way people might give a drat about him.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Cyclops, Lena Headey as Emma Frost, Charles Dance can be Apocalypse. All New, All Lannister X-Men.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

I feel like Tom Hardy's wacky Bane voice would actually work for Apoc

It kind of already sounds like Apocalypse in the 90's cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

No one is ever going to make a loving Captain Britain movie come on guys

They could make a miniseries on Netflix!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

He was an Iron-Man villain when Marvel had the publishing rights. Put that movie cross over in your brain and love it.

*Godzilla stops stomping, cocks his head to one side at a strange sound... "Ride The Wind" by Poison blares from an aircraft carrier as Iron Man does a loop*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

All I really want from a new Godzilla movie is Godzilla as an unstoppable force of nature, a living castigation not for man's technology but for the use of it. All our efforts to attack this beast, to defend our homes, they are nothing but rain upon its skin.

And then two tiny Japanese women show up and BOOM here's Mothra to save the day! Mothra, protector of humanity! Mothra, kind of like a big insect Jesus! Mothra!

Ultraman or GTFO. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Real age doesn't matter on screen. Paul Rudd looks like, 32.

The real answer is that Pegg isn't 'leading man material' in the US. His looks are going to pigeonhole him as a supporting player. He can be the wacky sidekick to Chris Pine or Tom Cruise, but I don't see any big studio getting behind him to anchor a tentpole picture.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NienNunb posted:

It doesn't hurt that Guardians is a genuinely awesome comic book right now.

Is Bendis still writing... HOLY poo poo, Francesco Francavilla is drawing it?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sion posted:

I don't. I hope it is like a really big, really long episode of Doctor Who but with a raccoon.

Star Lord takes his helmet off to reveal he was really Peter Capaldi the whole time! :aaa:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

At the end he still says I am Iron Man not I am Tony Stark. He will still be a superhero but on his terms not out of guilt.

I could see him having been trying to sit out for a bit, until Ultron appears, if only to set up a "Comback Tour" protocol gag.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I like how Rocket Raccoon is all "Yea i'm a raccoon so what?" And Batista is really stretching his range, shirtless muscle guy with weird skin!

And Groot's all "Didn't I kill you recently?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

No, just his knees. Not that it matters, since the Turtles haven't paid their dues so he won't put them over., even though he's just in it for the money.

Um... he wasn't talking about Nash.

:smith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

:thejoke:

Though my memory of Avery is about equally Uncle Phil and Rhodey from the 90's Iron Man cartoon.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 5, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, having the Greek pantheon be Kryptonian isn't 'simplifying' Wonder Woman's origin. It's making her into Supergirl.

The Marvel stuff works better as an interlaced universe because that notion was already in place with the JLA and such when Stan, Steve, Jack and co created the Marvel characters. They knew Thor might show up in a Fantastic Four issue or two, and that Spider-Man might see the X-Men on TV. Whereas the DCU is a hodge-podge of concepts that were never originally conceived of as co-existing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe it might help if we kind of get on the same page here, before we continue the conversation.

What exactly do you mean by the campy pro-fem, pro-queer subtext? (I'm not saying that one doesn't exist, I'd just like the point expanded on a little.)
Like I understood from interviews that George Clooney and Chris Dowd were just told that Batman and Robin are gay and they just ran with that. Is that what you mean?

...If Robin had been played by Chris O'Dowd, that would've been a very different movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

The subtext is a gay couple and their lib fem friend fights against cartoonishly distorted :biotruths: that are victims of society literally forcing away their individuality (If Poison Ivy is the movie's caricature of what MRA's think women are and Bane a caricature of 'men can't help themselves they're just monstrous children and women shouldn't tempt them', then Woodrue is a caricature that is simultaneously a white bearded patriarch and the sort of nerds that complain about being incel because of those devious womyn) and Mister Freeze, who takes the ideas of the husband as sole provider and protector to ridiculous extremes because Batman and Robin is about ridiculous extremes.

The entire arc with Robin and Ivy, to cut out a discreet chunk, is Robin trying to show his partner that he's not a child while struggling through the sexual confusion of a man in his early twenties.

Speaking of Woodrue, can we both marvel that Jason Woodrue was in a movie before Wonder Woman or Hal Jordan... and admit that John Glover is the best thing in B&R?

Glover is 100% aware of the OTT nature of the piece and chews that greenhouse set to crumbs to play up to it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually kind of enjoy Thurman and Arnold too. Thurman more so once you get the faux-Mae West thing she's going for.

My biggest issue with the movie is act 3 (the whole frozen city thing) is dull as dishwater. It's visually uninteresting, badly paced, barely acted... I'm also not a huge fan of the bike race, but at least that's colourful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McSpanky posted:

This is also perfectly acceptable.

Affleck could probably pull it off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They probably reported about Douglas playing Pym... Now that would've been after Marvel and Disney announced it themselves, but still! :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

RDJ's career was on an upswing when he was cast as Iron Man. If it wasn't Iron Man it was going to be something else that got him back in the spotlight.

Oh he'd be doing fine, but he'd probably be in the quirky character actor niche that he'd been occupying in stuff like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and A Scanner Darkly, maybe eventually getting back into prestige pictures like his earlier work. I'm not sure he'd be one of, if not THE, biggest movie star in the world as he is now without Iron Man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Honestly, I kind of feel like it was the other way around.

Robert Downey Junior made Marvel Studios' career.

It's mutually benefitial. He's such perfect casting that it took a movie that was a risky proposition and turned it from a likely minor hit, into the launch pad for a franchise, and that same smash hit turned him into a megastar.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

There's basically two possible punchlines to this, that I can think of. One is Trevor falling asleep again, like he does in the movie when Stark's interrogating him. The other is something like a jailbreak happening and him slipping back into 'character'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

If they're going to do Depp as Dr. Strange, then just bring in the rest of the Pirates cast to round it out. Geoffrey Rush as Baron Mordo, Kiera Knightley as Clea, and Bill Nighy as Shuma-Gorath. Wong will be also be played by Depp as he is 1/16th Chinese.

Orlando Bloom as a Mindless One.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ulrich would work. So would Vincent Kartheiser as he's weird enough naturally.

Kartheiser just looks... sleazy. Like every time I see him. He was kind of pleasantly scruffy in Angel, but when I saw him in the first season of Mad Men it was a bit distracting how he looked even greasier in a suit and clean-shaven.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Pretty brave of them to change it so he shoots webbing out of his rear end but I applaud the dedication to making him real spider like.

They're also promoting responsibility to the kids by having Spidey get a part time job cleaning windows. Strong brand awareness, too, with the Spider-shammy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Hmmm, Prowler cameo maybe?

Given they've already got two spin-offs in development... Be careful what you wish for.

• Locked thread