Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I don't see it in your details, but Joseph Gordon Levit is going to be in Sin City 2. I can't look up details at work, but if Looper is any indication, he should be playing young Hartigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Could he not do something similar with electromagnetic radiation? I'm not a physicist (of course, neither are most comic book writers) so I've no idea what the maximum extent of Magneto's powers are meant to be. I mean, sometimes he just controls metal and others he can control the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

I guess it depends on the ambition of the writer; I think Morrison made some allusions about that (he did the same thing with Triumph and Electric Blue Superman in JLA).

There's a book "The Physics of Superheroes" that goes into the details of how things would work in the real world if someone had superpowers. There's a whole chapter dedicated to how Magneto and Electro could use their powers similarly and goes into greater detail about how Magneto's powers allow him to fly and lift people and things that are not metal.

It's getting kind of derail-y here so if anyone's interested, I can copy it into Chat after I get home.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Billy Idle posted:

I absolutely love that book. The only error I've found in it is when the author concludes that Cyclops's power is impossible because the recoil force of his optic blasts would blow his head off his shoulders. It's as if James Kakalios never even considered the possibility that the recoil force would be directed back through the dimensional portals in his eyes and into the non-Einsteinan universe from which the optic blast originates. :rolleyes:

Oh, well, yeah, of course, if you're going to bring the dimensional portals into this, but that was more of Yaco theory anyway, and I never subscribed to that line of thinking and I doubt that Kakalios did either. :colbert:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

McSpanky posted:

I thought he was immune to his own powers since he can close his eyes without his eyelids popping like champagne corks and/or his own skull exploding (plus those fun scenes where Cyke and Havok have to fistfight because they harmlessly absorb each others' blasts), you mean that explanation wasn't comic-booky enough and they had to bullshit something harder?

It's not a matter of immunity to his own powers per se. It's more a physics argument.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If Cyke is shooting a beam from his eyes forward with 50 newtons of force, then 50 newtons of force is pushing back against his head/eyes/neck at the same time. Or look at it this way. You have a cannon strapped to your head and it fires. All the energy being used to blast the cannonball out and forward is also being applied to your head in the other direction.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

This is brilliant on the part of WB.

Stick with me here, as this goes a little crazy.

Wonder Woman is essentially the WB/DC property that could realistically pull off the female solo superhero movie. (OK, there was Catwoman, barely. As far as I know, the character was named Catwoman and that's where all the similarities end).

Anyway, even in these early stages, it seems pretty clear that the Sperfriends movie is going to come out well in advance of any Marvel solo female movie and so it's going to be the first movie to feature a major female character. Marvel's pretty good about having female characters in the films, but in no way have they shown someone on the familiarity level as WW.

Here's why it's brilliant: If it fails, it will probably be blamed on the Wonder Woman parts. Whether that's because those parts will be less fleshed out, the actress isn't very good, or the portrayal is weak, who can say. It doesn't matter, because she'll be blamed. Even if she's the best part of the movie, she'll be the scapegoat. "Boys don't care about WW." "Fanboys don't make up enough of the movie going population to make up for it." "Women don't make up enough in action movie/super hero ticket sales." "We did the exact same thing we did for male super hero movies and it didn't work when we added a woman, that must be the problem." If it fails, they get to blame the woman, and turn around and say "Well, we gave people a female superhero, and they voted with their money, and they told us they don't want female superhero movies, so we won't make any more. Don't bother asking again." They get to blame the movie going public for their bomb and they get to act frustrated and huffy when someone asks about a solo WW movie.

If it succeeds, now they get to triumphantly shout about how they were the first to have a blockbuster movie featuring a female lead, and aren't they progressive and hey, Marvel sure hasn't done that. "We decided to listen to our fans and give them something that they wanted for so long. And it was great. Everyone loved it." And then they can...still not do a solo WW movie, because the risk is too great. "But hey, if you want to see WW on the big screen again just go see Superfriends 2."

Now that being said, I might be interested in a solo WW movie myself, if they treat it much like the Thor movies. Here you have this character who comes from a far away land, who has been running around with characters from myth and legend. They are transported to the modern world where they comically interact with things they are unfamiliar with, and meet the love interest that sets their heart all a flutter. Blah blah *powerful villain* blah blah * prove yourself worthy *blah blah* happy ending. I would enjoy the hell out of a gender swapped/mythology swapped Thor, written to the same level. That would have my rear end in a seat opening weekend.

Waterhaul posted:

Hi, I'm Wonder Woman and I'm from this island and can punch people really hard and don't like whomever the bad guy is.
You forgot the part where she has an inherent distrust of men.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

I thought you were going to say "if it succeeds they'll have done the first great superheroine role and if it fails, they'll have properly poisoned the well for Marvel's possible introduction of Carol Danvers."

Originally I meant to add that. Specifically "poisoning the well" for other super heroines. But I don't know if that would really be true.

Marvel and WB are both taking different approaches to how they do super hero movies. One (so far) hasn't really seemed to influence how the other has actually executed their end product. WB clearly saw that Marvel had huge success with the Avengers movie, but seems to be taking away the wrong lesson. Rather than copying the Marvel "Universe Building" method, they seem to be opting for the "Cram every property into a single movie".

So at this point, even if WB torpedoed a solo WW movie, I think Marvel is strong enough and been doing well enough that they wouldn't give a poo poo about how badly DC hosed it up. Look at Green Lantern. The three word description for non-comic people is Magic Space Cops. The closest Marvel property is probably GOTG (Avengers in Space), and the general failure of GL isn't slowing the GOTG train down any.

Really, GOTG is pretty close to the way WB is doing their Superfriends movie. An ensamble cast and a wacky premise, featuring characters that 90% of the general population has never heard of. Really, it's an even bigger risk in that regard, because most people could probably name characters in Superfriends and even know some of their stories. I read comics and I can tell you approximately gently caress all about any of the characters in GOTG.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the best news for Marvel re: Carol. DC's gone and put themselves at the front of the line for First Superheroine and everybody's going to be eyeing them super-close. Pass or fail, Marvel's going to be able to look at what critics had to say about Wonder Woman and make an effort to not make the same mistakes. Even better, unless DC just totally knocks it out of the park people probably aren't going to be looking as closely at Marvel because it's just the second effort which takes pressure off them. If DC fails that's best of all, because the bar will be set crazy low letting Marvel just leap right over it pretty easily and come out looking fantastic for it.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on Marvel doing a solo female hero movie. They don't (and shouldn't) give two shits about how WB runs their business.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Does he have his powers back again? Or are you talking about adult Franklin from the future that has a pet Galactus?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I could almost, almost, almost see it if the Avengers are huddled together in a meeting room or something, going over the files, mission review or whatever, and they start talking about how the next big threat is the Mandarin. Tony pipes up with "The Mandarin wasn't even real. He was a figurehead meant to spook governments into behaving. He was an actor hired by a mad scientist to play a roll of foreign terrorist. I took him down using all my super Iron Man toys and blew up the real criminal mastermind behind it all. It was on TV. That's the magic picture box, Cap. He's no threat and he never was."

*Ultron roars onto the screen* "RAWR! The Mandarin lives! I am his vassal! I will destroy all of humanity! RAWR! Mandarin!"

*Iron Man blinks a few times* "OK, guess I got it wrong."

Unless that happens, this is just really oddly specific fanboy speculation.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

You know, with all the big names, and talent, and the fact that it has Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman in it, this film is doing a very impressive job of not registering on my Give-a-gently caress-ometer.

Is this the wrong reaction? Should I actually have more faith in WB/DC to bring me 2 hours of entertainment for my $12? Not banking on a "good" movie, but just the ability to make me say "Yes, I would not write a letter to WB asking for my money back." Am I the issue here? Granted, we've not seen screenshot one, the final draft hasn't been written (probably) much less leaked, but all I can manage is a half hearted "meh" at the very idea.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

drat, I gotta say I'm really getting hyped up for GotG. The makeup and costumes looks really solid, the story looks like it will be fun, and it's pretty obvious that they are building huge into the infinity gems with Thor 2, Cap/Avengers, and now GOTG.

Though I think casting Vin Diesel as Groot is a bit of a waste/gimmicky. I mean, it's kind of like casting Tom Cruise as Godzilla - it's a guy in a rubber monster suit. There's no face to emote, really, and even if there is, it's probably going to be CGI. He may do the voice work, but it will probably all be in post anyway, even if it's not just "I am Groot". Yes, Vin can certainly hold his own in an action movie, but in this context, essentially puppeteer, does he bring anything to the table that a stuntman couldn't?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Mary Jane would have looked like Ayn Rand

Thanks, now I just pictured Ayn Rand in those ridiculous Mary Jane poses from a few years ago.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Isn't ASM2 supposed to be three loosely tied together short chapters, each of which could almost be self contained? Like here's Peter doing his recap from ASM. All caught up? Cool. Here's Rhino to mess things up. Spidey defeats him, he swings into his house and has to act like not Spider-man in front of Aunt May. Repeat for Electro and Goblin with peppered appearances by Gwen, Harry, Norman, and maybe MJ to move the "Oscorp is evil" plot line along.

Cause I didn't get the impression at any point from any previews, trailers or plot leaks that the villains were even really aware of each other, much less working together (OK, Norman is Goblin and behind everything, but I'm still seeing single file villains rather than a super team-up).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Or its tied in by they are all made by Oscorp.

mind the walrus posted:

Footage of Electro in what appeared to be after his initial Times Square encounter with Spidey tells me that he works with Norman and/or Harry, and by extension Oscorp.

Right, that's what I'm expecting from the plot. But the impression I'm getting isn't that ASM2 is Spiderman vs Rhino & Electro & Goblin, but three separate but related stories.

And if that's the case, I think that is perhaps the better way to do it. Imagine taking the average superhero movie and condensing it down into more or less a pure distilled form.

Instead of trying to shoehorn three villains into one 2 hour movie, split a 2 hour movie into three smaller movies. Focus on the action, the quips, the stunts, the fighting. Sure, weave the overall plot threads into it (Oscorp is making super villains by blending people, technology and animals) and the ever present Peter Parker's highschool drama. But make the bigger picture better by focusing on the smaller pictures that built it. And make that smaller picture the best it can be. Focus, focus, focus. If Rhyno is beaten in act 1, don't bring him back in act 3. Show that he was an Oscorp creation, but let his part end there. Electro is a separate threat. Sure, he was created by Oscorp and may be working for them still, but focus on him for his part of the movie. Acknowledge that the other things happened (Rhino went on a rampage) but close that chapter and move on, if only a little bit. Same with Goblin for what I assume is the third act. Don't bring Electro to Goblin's fight.

Now, if at the end of the movie, any of the villains are still alive, and you want to show the three of them in neighboring prison cells, that's great (if a little cliche).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Just wait; any day now they'll announce that Ben Affleck will also be playing the Mandarin.

Yeah, but he'll be playing the Mandarin in the Superman/Batman movie.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I heard is in Archer and Woodhouse's voices. Gives a new dynamic to it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Awesome, I can't wait. I don't know why, but I'm way more excited for GotG than I have been for the past few Marvel movies.

If you're anything like me, then it might be because GOTG is something different. It's weird, most people on the street have no idea what it's about or who the characters are. Hell, I think your average comic reader probably doesn't (I don't). If someone told you X-men meets Star Wars, but in a good way, that might be close. Really, that's probably the best case scenario.

But it's not Batman (of which we've had 9 live action films) Superman (6), X-men (6-ish) Avengers (9 counting all solo films) or Spider-man (4). It's a long shot using an obscure reference book. It's something no one has ever seen before, and while the plot will likely follow a familiar path, it should be unique.

And if it works? Sky's the limit. Dr. Strange? Sure. Deadpool? (If he ever gets out of limbo) Almost a given. Wonder Woman? If DC can remove head from rear end.

Grem posted:

Citizen Kane was boring as gently caress and if Thor showed up and started whipping his hammer and hair around it would of been a much better movie.

Setting: Interior - An ornately decorated bed chamber. Lying on the bed, his life slowly ebbing away is Odin, King of Asgard

As Odin is lying there, he is seen gazing into an orb filled with vapor of many colors. As the camera zooms in, the vapor fades away and is replaced with a blurry image of a vast cityscape. His focus is entirely on this image, becoming clearer and clearer as the seconds pass. Suddenly his strength fails him and he falls back into his pillows. His arm, still clutching the orb falls to his side, over the edge of the bed.

ODIN (whispering): "Mjolnir..."

The orb falls to the ground, and shatters upon the floor, releasing a rainbow of sparkling mist that quickly evaporates to nothing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Actually, with Iron Man, aren't you in a unique position? I mean, yes, RDJ as Tony Stark is a huge part of Iron Man's success in film.

But, (and this would be stupid, but hear me out) what if "Tony" is in the armor the whole movie? You don't need to see Tony Stark. You already assume he's in the armor, flying around, shooting bad guys. you want Tony Stark in movies, there's 3 that are all about him. If you made a movie that was entirely action oriented, it may not make sense for him to ever be out of the armor, and a big enough cast would make seeing Tony incidental. Even if IM is working with Ant Man in a science lab, have him armored up, doing science stuff.

Then, all Marvel has to worry about is casting a good enough sound alike, and they're done, without having to pay RDJ levels of money, only a stunt man and voice actor.

Stupid, but with creative enough writing, completely possible. poo poo, you could even play up some angle where Tony feels especially vulnerable outside of his armor lately (making GBS threads on the end of IM3 and making Hawkeye and Black Widow stand out even more as "normals", but if you're already making GBS threads on things by removing RDJ...).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

I wish they had made Sue black too. Not because of any mixed race siblings/parentage hysteria or confusion but because just having the one black guy does feel like tokenism. Would have been a little bit more adventurous to have a romance between a white guy and a black woman, too. But whatever, I think Mara is a good choice as she can definitely sell intelligence and Jordan will no doubt kill it as the Torch.

Also echoing the "Ok, but what about Doom?" comments. Actually, is it Doom this time around? Has that been confirmed or are they doing another villain(s) instead?

If they really want to shake things up, they should have the romance be between Reed and Johnny. That would get jaws flapping.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

my guess was that Gramosians are some kind of odd non-anthropoid, possibly-inanimate critters and Quill accidentally manhandled one somehow, mistaking it for a rock or something. Thus "manipulation" being a literal "picked up and moved".

That's the way I took it. Hell I googled Gramosian thinking they were some kind of android race. They're just some throw away space race that doesn't get much play in the MU according to Wiki.

---------------------------

Moving from Rape to Racism, I'm willing to bet we'll get a scene in FF where Reed is eyeballing Sue from a distance, and Johnny walks up to him with a

"Hey man, why are you staring at my sister?"
I'm not staring at your sister! I'm checking out that hot white chick!"
"Yeah. That's my sister."
*Wah-Wah*

The best case scenario would be if no one mentions it at all.

What will happen instead is the only person who brings it up will be Doom, so he's not only a mass murdering fuckhead with delusions of grandeur, but he's also racist.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm gonna call it: there's no way Gwen Stacy is dying in this movie.

(I'm not basing this on anything other than the fact that it would be too obvious)

I'm pretty sure they were going to kill her off in this movie, but that was also back when the script had called for an MJ character to sort of replace her, and would make sense in a planned trilogy setup (Second chapter is horrible for heroes a la ESB). But as far as I know the MJ plot line was either shrunk or dropped entirely from this script. Now that this looks to be at least a 4 movie arc, I think they are pushing that death until movie three at least.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The moment where Doc Ock showed up and said "Help, I'm actually Peter and Doc Ock is in my body?" That's not so much connecting the dots as having a picture shown to you.

Yeah, but put it in perspective. Osama Bin Laden shows up at your door and tries to convince you that he's actually been brain swapped with your son/husband.

Granted, they live in a world where brain swapping is something that happens, but still...

cptn_dr posted:

What the gently caress is going on in Spiderman these days?
Something so bizarrely wonderful...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

They'll probably have some flashbacks and stuff to help out, though.

While this is probably what they'll do, I'll say that's enough. poo poo, since this is Cap's solo outing, we can throw in how not being able to save Bucky has been eating at him for years actually months, since I think for him it's been pretty short between Bucky "dying", the end of CA1, waking up in 2012, and the events of Avengers. That's still a pretty fresh wound for Steve.

I mean really, pretty much everyone who posts here is a big enough fan of comics to assume that this was going to happen as soon as Cap didn't save the guy from falling. "Oh. Right there. Winter Soldier in the Cap sequel."

For your average Joe, a flashback should be enough to remind them.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Pyronic posted:

im a little excited for this ABC special, but drat I just want more Agents of SHIELD.

Unless this is sarcasm, these are words I have never seen posted in these forums, in this order.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Star Wars and Marvel merging universes would be bomb as hell and you can't convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Well, now I want to see Galactus vs The Death Star, so thanks for that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

teagone posted:

Also, Cavill apparently bulked up naturally under guidance of Mark Twight — an insane alpine climber who founded Gym Jones — and completely bought into Twight's/Gym Jones' functional fitness philosophy so he stayed pretty huge even after Man of Steel was done filming

Waitaminute. There is a successful chain of...anything, that has a name that sounds exactly like Jim Jones? I mean, really? OK, yeah, this happened about 4 years before I was even born, but drat. Did no body run this past any kind of marketing person?

For anyone unfamilair with the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

Ninja - Holy poo poo, I don't know if this is supposed to be tongue in cheek, or the reporter/writer is just an unfortunate victim of coincidence, but this headline

quote:

At Mark Twight’s Gym Jones, clients pick their poison

Double Ninja - Yeah, it's on purpose.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

See, my problem with it was that it always felt to me like the movie wanted us to take that scene seriously and legitimately believe Peter was being cool, not that he was a total dork. He was a total dork, but that didn't seem like the intention.

Still a drat funny scene.

No, I think it worked as intended.

In the comics and the movie, the symbiote makes Spider-Man stronger and tougher and meaner.

However, in the comics (IIRC) it makes Peter more confident, he doesn't focus on his miserable luck, and he goes on with a more positive outlook to his life. Or perhaps to put it better, he's freer. He's a Peter that can put his past behind him, or at least isn't haunted by it at every turn. Sure, he goes a little nuts, but them's the breaks.

Sam Rami hated the idea of being forced to shoehorn in Venom/symbiote into his movie. So what does he do? Instead of the symbiote having a generally positive effect on Peter, it turns him into a goofy douche. Instead of amplifying his confidence, it amplifies his "dark side". But the dark side of movie Peter is apparently some nerd's revenge fantasy. "I'll get a kickin' rad haircut, a new outfit, and embarrass my ex-girlfriend. That'll show them." He's still a dork, but now he's a dork who thinks he's cool.

I don't know how much credit I'm giving Rami for writing it like that, but it seems like a nice cherry on the Middle Finger to Sony sundae that was SM3.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

This is going to be a million loving times worse than X3. I can already taste it

The wort part is that this will likely make money hand over fist. Meaning that this meandering behemoth of a franchise is going to go down kicking and screaming but only after a long, slow trudge to get there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I just saw Cap2 yesterday, thought it was really great.

Post Credits Are they hinting that the stone in Loki's staff is one of the infinity gems? Meaning that he was in possession of two of them at one time?

If I'm not mistaken we've seen the following:
Red - Power - AKA Aether From Thor 2, currently in the possession of the collector
Blue - Mind - The Gem in Loki's Staff
Purple - Space - The Tesseract from Cap 1 and Avengers

That leaves three, Soul, Reality and Time. I'm am so stupidly excited for movies that barely exist on paper.

Ninja: Oh look, the conversation covered this while typing

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that Guardians will be them trying to find gem 4.

That's a big yes. Feige confirmed that the next stone was going to be unveiled in GOtG

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

If they get this wrong, it would be kind of horrible and cheesy, like Austin Powers played straight.

They could do something like that though, have Doom basically be Reed's lab partner in the 60s, then suddenly in the modern era he's Doctor Doom, ruler of Latveria.

I have to disagree, unless you're going to cram the disfiguring accident into the space ship launch thing. So Doom and Richards are working together, Doom is jealous that this project has Reed's name all over it, (:doom: even though he's the lesser scientist :doom:). Doom sabotages the launch, but his sabotage causes his scarring. Doom blames Reed (even though it's really Doom's fault, typical) and runs off for the next 20-50 years building his suit/empire/powerbase.

That's still a long rear end time for Doom to have opportunity to take over the world unopposed. Maybe you could argue that he was biding his time, that he figured out that Reed was blown forward in time and not blown up, and then he gets his revenge and world domination all in one move.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I am so Mr Afleck that I ever doubted you.

I don't know if this is typed how you meant it, but I'd like to think that "Mr. Afleck" has just become longhand for "sorry"

EDIT: OK, you fixed it, but I'm keeping my interpretation.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

We don't, but a Joker card has been used as a calling card for the joker before. What other DC characters use a playing card, other than the Royal Flush Gang? What other card could it be that would have significance in any way? If it was a Queen of Hearts, would that mean anything?

It being a joker card is just kind of the most likely scenario.

Well, if we're reaching, a Queen of Hearts could be pointing to Alice in Wonderland, which points to (in descending order) Mad Hatter, Humpty Dumpty, Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum, and the Carpenter.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Somewhat related, I really hope the Flash TV series goes full retard and has Gorilla Grodd as a recurring villain.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

e X posted:

Honestly, that isn't a bad idea. If you see Captain America as a WWII movie with superheroes (at least the first part) and Thor as a fantasy movie with superheroes, a horror movie with superheroes isn't a bad idea at all.

That's a really good way of looking at it, and kind of illustrates (for me) the difference between the good comic movies and the not so good.

Cap 2 is a spy movie, that deals with comic book characters
X-men movies, are comic book movies (Haven't seen DOFP)

The Amazing Spider-Man movies, are sci-fi movies with comic book characters
Man of Steel, is a comic book movie

And that's not even saying that the "comic book" movies are bad, they just have different focus. If you took Cap out of TWS and replaced him with James Bond, very little would have changed and you'd still have a good movie. If you took away the comic book elements of Man of Steel and just had it be about invading aliens with super strength, but we're saved by the good one, it would lose a lot.

Unrelated, I had a question about Amazing Spider-man 2 as I finally had a chance to see it this past weekend. For the past two movies and probably the last 12 years, Peter has been trying to find out what happened to his parents. In this movie, we find out that they have been (falsely) branded as traitors by the US government. Isn't that kind of thing public knowledge? I mean, sure, Aunt May might have been able to hide the fact that FBI agents came to the house looking for Richard and Mary, but wouldn't a google search show that these two people disappeared, after betraying their government? I can understand wanting to know the whole story and the truth, but wouldn't that have been one of the first things he found out about?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

prefect posted:

"Captain Thunder" makes me think of "Thunderlips, the Ultimate Male".

"Captain Thunder" makes me think of knock off Mountain Dew

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Dexo posted:

Man This movie is going to be great. Pity it's going to bomb at the Box Office.

If you really want to prevent that, buy two tickets. Hell, you can even watch it a second time or more.

Vote with your dollars. It's all studios understand. Vote Early. Vote Often.

Which of course has the double edge of "I'm probably going to go see this horrible train wreck of B/S:DOJ just for kicks" encouraging that lousy kind of production.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Back when everybody had Simon Pegg figured for the lead I could see it becoming a running gag where he was always accidentally hitting Jan and it being funny.

It's horrible, but I want to see it now. And every time, someone walks in just at the wrong moment.

Janet and Hank are sparring, someone walks in and distracts Janet, letting him get in an easy shot. The person only sees the defenseless hit and rushes to Janet's side. "It's OK", she pleads. "He didn't mean it."

Hank and Janet celebrate some scientific milestone with drinks. They decide to really celebrate and break out the champagne. Being a bit tipsy, the cork is not discharged safely and pops Janet right in the eye. The next day she walks in where ever, with big sunglasses. When confronted about her shiner, she tells the truth. "It was an accident. We got a little drunk and he slipped is all."

Hank is off facing down the big boss and Janet, needing something to distract her from thinking about how her husband is in mortal danger, starts cleaning the lab. She gets called away by a phone call mid clean by a concerned friend, worried about all the "accidents" that keep happening. Suddenly, a bruised and bloodied (but victorious) Ant Man comes through the door. "Oh my God! Hank! No!" Janet screams and races to embrace her husband, dropping the phone. There's a crash, as she trips over a stray mop and tumbles head first into a doorknob. The concerned friend, hearing this, races over to help Janet. Janet answers the door, with a bruised and swollen face. When asked what happened, she simply replies that "It's totally my fault. I forgot to put the mop away."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Goddammit, that's why The Rock was in talks with DC/Warner.

He's not going to play Black Adam, they're going to gussy him up like Vin Diesel as Groot.

He's going to be Doomsday.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

sleepingbuddha posted:

The Rock as Doomsday would be an utter waste of Dwayne Johnson.

Ben Affleck as Batman would be an utter waste of Batman. (maybe. What do I know)

Are you saying that DC is suddenly capable of making decisions that aren't bizarre?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I know you mean motion capture, but the idea of doing some of the more trippy parts of Infinity Gauntlet in stop motion just sounds magical.

When he activates the Reality Gem, have the movie go claymation for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

His drive to be Spider-Man in the Amazing films is to live up to, continue his father's legacy rather than guilt of avenging Uncle Ben.

How did I miss that?!

The Rami movies has Spider-man all hung up on Ben's death (understandably) and that's what sets him on his path. But we got Ben "Great Responsibility" Parker overload. We were flooded with it. Every movie had to tie back to Ben dying over and over again because Peter just can't move on.

The Webb movies still have Ben die (and Gwen, too) but he focuses on his father more than anything else. And in a way, it's almost insulting to the memory of Ben. Yes, losing his birth parents was a horrible, traumatic thing, but Ben is the one that set him on the hero path. Now it's Richard Parker all day, every day.

Opopanax posted:

And then Peter runs off and Richard turns to the camera, smiles and winks, while holding up a Duracell battery.

Or a Sony microwave or whatever. Gotta get those product placements in somehow.

• Locked thread