Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hakkesshu posted:

Here's a good look at Ronan

He looks like he didn't have a spoon for his Snack Pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

an overdue owl posted:

He looks stocky to you?

Man, I wish I was this stocky...

loving Marvel though, always pulling their punches.

THEY SHOULD HAVE GONE STOCKIER!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Senor Candle posted:

The X-Men/Wolverine films are produced by 20th Century Fox, not Marvel.

So you're saying Marvel doesn't/didn't get any money for the X-Men/Wolverine movies?

Well now it makes sense that Len Wein wouldn't get a cut.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dacap posted:

So nobody's really mentioned T.I. being cast in Ant-Man because John Slattery returning kinda dominated the story. They haven't said who he's playing but considering Slattery was 70's era Howard Stark in Iron Man 2 I'm wondering if he might be a young Nick Fury? He's 33 and Jackson is 65 so he's within the range to play him at that time.

Wasn't Wood Harris cast too? He should be a young Nick Fury.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

zoux posted:

Hmmm this seems like a good idea.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but yes, yes it does.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

zoux posted:

I guess you've never heard the Tale of the Making of Blade Three.

Naw, I love that story and the YTMND of it is the best thing.

Here are the facts though: David Goyer sucks and Wesley Snipes owns.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean besides it would be Superman placing his will on the world instead of them doing it themselves? Once he does that he will soon be wearing the Super-pope hat.

I'd be down with that.

Who doesn't want a Space Pope?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Deadpool posted:

Well you see Marvel has failed because they didn't make a movie with a female lead because... well because. Let's forget the fact they greenlit two television series with female leads. But that doesn't count for some reason.

It's incredibly lame that they've made a bajillion movies starring white, male protagonists. With two more on the way!

And you're being pretty generous to Agents of SHIELD by not counting Coulson as its lead.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Deadpool posted:

I'm talking about Agent Carter and Jessica Jones.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the Netflix shows.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

JT Smiley posted:

A bunch of idiots to who? Marvel studios has been consistently killing it year after year. I don't think they're too worried about a few people saying mean words about them on the internet.

No one's saying they're not making a lot of money. That's obvious. The fact that they have a huge platform, a huge selection of characters to choose from and a proven audience and they're still not doing a movie with a female lead is really lame. And they especially look like a bunch of idiots when they give dumb answers to why they're not doing it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Waterhaul posted:

The Marvel have a plan excuse is also dumb

I agree with your whole post, but especially this. The "Marvel has a plan" excuse doesn't hold water. I don't care that they have stuff planned out until 2028 or whatever, it just proves that they've always been gun-shy about a movie starring a woman or a person of colour.

Like, weren't there rumbling of a Black Panther movie coming out post-Avengers 2? Instead all we're hearing about the white-as-hell lineup of possible Dr. Strange actors.

EDIT: Obviously Fox and Sony and the WB deserve to take hits on this too, but when Marvel has the exact right conditions to actually do something about the problem--and when Feige talks a load of poo poo about it--it becomes especially egregious for them.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I didn't like the movie, but Costner talking to little Clark about what the whole bus thing was one of the best, most human parts of the films.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

He and Carl Reiner still hang out most nights. Which is adorable.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's funny that the first three points could basically have been used to sell him on Suicide Squad.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

fatherboxx posted:

With Sons of Anarchy and Justified ending there is going to be a minor vacuum in the "quality contemporary action macho show" slot, in which Punisher would fit right in.

Let the people who do Banshee make it and I'd watch it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Having now two Rocky films with no Adrian, is no Rocky film(s) at all.

One more and we get Adrian's Revenge

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, gently caress that. I want movie Spidey to act like 60s Spidey and call the Avengers a bunch of choades and clown on them.

Stark already did this.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Y Tu Batman Tambien

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Boogaleeboo posted:

Why should I care about that, it's words on a page. Everything they actually release is generic as poo poo. Why do I care about a pedigree that to date has produced nothing in this particular film? All that speaks to is potential. There's a possibility those people could produce something amazing, but what we've seen so far isn't. From the "Not Interstellar, no really" trailer to these pictures it's kind of blah. Maybe there's an amazing movie coming, but they've certainly yet to show anything amazing.

Well there's your problem. The trailer was actually really good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's just that the Fantastic Four rights also tie up a shitload of cool concepts that could fit into a million films, so if all I'm going to get out of this is "A nice way to spend 2 hours", I'd rather it fail miserably and open those ideas up to the company that'll make nine films a year rather than company that'll make one every few years. At least that way I'll get more generically entertaining films on balance.

Okay, fair enough. I mean this is insane to me, but fair enough.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dacap posted:

That's right, it seemed they were going for the all teenage team this time but while Munn is by no means old she can't pass for a teenager. James MacAvoy is the same age and he's the elder of the team.

Speaking of, is Channing Tatum in the next one? I know he's doing the solo Gambit movie, but are they putting him in this one first?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I'm pretty psyched for the Suicide Squad and at the same time I'm pretty sure Jared Leto will gently caress it up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That's all true. I'm not really worried about his interpretation of the Joker, I just don't really like Leto and I think a David Ayer Suicide Squad sounds amazing without even being any Joker. So, yeah, hopefully there isn't much of him anyway.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Semper Fudge posted:

Grimdark or whimsical fun, make good movies it doesn't loving matter. My point is that Green Lantern trying to be exactly like Marvels brand of adventurous fun didn't keep it from being one of the shittiest superhero movies of the last decade.

And really why anyone would want every superhero movie on the market to have the same tone is beyond me.

Exactly, let them do their own thing. I don't want them all to be like Marvel movies. Besides, they only work like half the time anyway. Let FF, and X-Men and the DC movies do whatever they want.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Which was good. So they at least picked the right stuff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

zoux posted:

Here's something we can all enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9sEkdJrIRM

Ruffalo is a very "aw shucks" kinda charming.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Old Man Pants posted:

Suicide squad is going to be a nughtmare with the introduction of multiple new actors playing new characters

All movies that aren't Castaway or My Dinner With Andre are disasters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Whizbang posted:

Marvel has been setting up Civil War for years. DC is just barfing up all their characters at once and desperately hoping people buy into it.

Yes, we definitely need a Captain Boomerang standalone movie to truly understand the character.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Waterhaul posted:

Civil War currently (and only currently) has Cap, Bucky, Crossbones,Falcon, War Machine, Iron Man, Scarlet Witch, Fury, Baron Zemo, Maria Hill, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow and i'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting. I'd presume Vision will be in it too in some form.

Probably Winter Soldier too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ed Brubaker was in Winter Soldier. I think he was one of the dudes working on wiping Winter Soldier's mind.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Also... red is red. Like, if the shade of red hair on your superhero movie character is that important then maybe take a step back.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

Sam Rockwell is so loving good in it.

This is true of lots of bad movies.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly, if your movie sucks, just throw in Sam Rockwell.

It's a pretty good way to get eyes on it eventually.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Pretty much my thoughts on the film. It's a real bummer to see the more interesting takes on Iron Man and Cap from their individual movies be completely abandoned in the Avengers movies.

I really liked Paul Bettany, so I found Vision pretty cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

jsoh posted:

Did they really not do the Thor line

Don't think so. I don't remember it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

mind the walrus posted:

God-loving-dammit I've noticed Whedon loves to do this with the characters that aren't his "project" in a particular story, and his writing of Cap--barring a few moments--was one of my least favorite parts of the first Avengers movie. How bad is it? Give it to me straight.

well, there's a terrible running joke involving him. He's written as well as he was in Avengers 1--not very.

He has a couple good scenes, I guess, but it's almost like a completely different character from Cap 1 and 2. For the few seconds he's on screen with Anthony Mackie their natural charisma and repartee from Winter Soldier kinda shines through but it's really just a tease.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gaz-L posted:

I thought he came off as well, Cap in an Avengers story? It's not like he suddenly turns into Ultimate Cap and rants about cheese-eating surrrender-monkies or anything

He's very much the Cap from the Avengers movie. I just don't like that one. I really like the one from his solo movies, so it really sticks out for me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

McSpanky posted:

It would have been wonderful if everyone in Asgard spoke in faux Shakespearean style but switched to modern vernacular on Earth with absolutely no explanation or internal commentary whatsoever.

Well now I want Heimdall talking about a 40-degree day.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Waterhaul posted:

Age of Ultron: Nick Fury never retired, he's just been doing the same old same old and shows up with an eye batch lurking in the shadows saying how he knows the bad guys exact plan and knows everything and alludes to A BIG BAD GUY COMING, later on when poo poo hits the fans he appears with a helicarrier and SHIELD army from... somewhere???... this is never really expanded on. Captain America is all gently caress yeah here's SHIELD to save the day. He restarts the Avengers Initiative with Fury and just...decides to continue doing what they were doing pre-Avengers 1 for some reason. He'll pick up on finding his best friend at some point.

It's super weird the way they treat the events of Winter Soldier--which, up until AoU had probably the biggest effect on the MCU--within the movie. There's Falcon just kinda brushing aside Winter Soldier's ending setup in one line. There's Fury being basically back and active after going Ronin or whatever at the end of WS. There's that lame "This is what SHIELD's supposed to be" line, referencing and kinda undermining WS in general. Just very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For all the (nominal) interconnectedness of the MCU, the film works best as a straight-up sequel to Avengers.

It's very much what it says on the tin: a sequel to the Avengers. Which isn't really an issue if you enjoyed the first movie.

• Locked thread