Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Reminder: Michael Bay named Megan Fox's character in Transformers after himself.

AnonSpore posted:

I've only ever seen a short clip of Catwoman (which I think was posted in this thread) and that was enough for a lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

zoux posted:

Can you imagine being a 13 year old Marvel comic books/superhero fan in this era? Id've lost my poo poo.

Since they'd have basically grown up with it, wouldn't it basically seem like the norm? Don't get me wrong, it'd be very cool, but I think the (presumably older) people in this thread are more amazed by it because we can remember a time when there weren't concurrent X-Men, Avengers, and Spiderman film franchises.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

I'm sure Strucker will be disposed of quickly in the opening like Batroc, it's not Age of Anachronistic Villain Doing Hammy Accent Work.

On the other hand, the Winter Soldier wasn't exactly the focus of Captain America 2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

He totally was when you realize that they're not really talking about Bucky in the title.

That idea works (assuming you know / look up an obscure reference), but titles set expectations and I think people might have expected more of a focus on Bucky than the movie ended up having.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I liked Thor 2 a lot. It had a sense of fun and adventure, and the final fight sequence was actually interesting rather than just a punch-a-thon (which some of the other MCU movies have had issues with).

Solaris Knight posted:

Man, the MCU continues to astound me, mostly that there hasn't been a agreed upon bad one yet

The Incredible Hulk wasn't especially fantastic either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There wasn't really any two-fisted salutes in TWS or AoS. I'm conflicted about that, because it's hilariously goofy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I can't think of anything as as long-running as the MCU that hasn't had retcons on that kind of level though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cap's costume at the start of TWS is my favourite of the movie ones so far, but I recognise they're going to change it each time for toys and stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

He doesn't really use it too much though, its in what, the ship section and after that he's wearing civilian clothes for most of the movie.

He's wearing it in the elevator as well, and when he's on the bike just afterwards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

None of the previous X-films have grossed even $500m worldwide, so DOFP's reported $250m budget is actually a pretty big risk.

It's not that much higher than X3's budget.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They've already recast the Hulk once within the MCU as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Also are we all forgetting what happened with Rhodie?

And the Hulk.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I don't care what anyone says Batman/Superman will most certainly make a billion goddamn dollars no matter how lovely it is because its Batman and Superman in one film.

WB isn't trying to do world building they're trying to make a Billion goddamn dollars.

Yeah, but it's meant to be the start of a franchise and making a mint on the first film is no good if it gets terrible word of mouth and poisons the well for followups for a while. Superman Returns and Batman and Robin both made money, but here we are.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

greatn posted:

Les Mis, Prestige, X2, and I wanna say he almost certainly is in some other good films I just can't think of them right now.

Erskineville Kings.

He's also a successful stage / musical actor too, which is where he first made any waves outside of Australia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There are only so many designs you can do for a bat-themed car. No matter what it's going to resemble something that exists in Batman's history because Batman has had a whole loving lot of cars.
Well yeah, you're working within a well-established universe, seeking complete originality is impossible and probably undesirable (same goes for costumes).

I'd still like to see more low-flying Batmobiles.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Race Realists posted:

Dare I ask: Is it really that hard to like something, but not be an obnoxious piece of poo poo about it?
Most of the people who liked Nolan Batman films aren't in the vocal minority of obnoxious shitheads.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

d00gZ posted:

I guess I just wish Marvel would embrace the fact that you don't have to be grim and gritty to have higher artistic aspirations than "well, that was fun!" That said, I haven't seen Winter Soldier yet, and I hear it does a great deal towards that goal.
Yeah, I think it does a pretty good job of that. It's as political as any of the Batman films (but with better politics), and isn't much more serious than the other Marvel films.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There's a typo in the picture, and it actually means that Ted Kord will be in the film.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

zoux posted:

Cryptic crew tweets involving playing cards definitely says "Joker" to me.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

In this continuity, all the characters are established, right? So we don't have to get Bats/Joker origin stories? This could well end up a six hour movie.

I think they've strongly implied Bats is a veteran hero at this point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The card is just a distraction, it's what it's lodged in that matters.

Plastic Man confirmed for BvS.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

If I can say anything about DoFP it's that Fox clearly has the stronger hand in the whole Quicksilver debacle. There's no loving way that the Kick-rear end guy will be able to top this.

On that note, the reaction to Quicksilver pre-release versus post-release has pretty interesting to watch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jackman being a lot taller than Wolverine (nominally) is makes the Fastball look a bit sillier too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Premeditated Toast posted:

I'm confused, wouldn't the movie give a potential bump to comic sales, therefor still being a good thing for Marvel, or is this a weird reverse case of cutting off the nose to spite the face?

Movies don't really give much of a bump to comic sales, and comic profits are tiny compared to the movie business.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

XboxPants posted:

If that rumor is true, it's probably not that Marvel is trying to create a shortage of characters, and more that Marvel wouldn't want some cool new character to debut in X-Men and get really popular and start showing up all throughout their lines, Iron Man, Captain America, space stuff, crossover events, only to then not be able to actually use him in any movies. Like, especially villains. Think Dr Doom or Galactus. There's a really cool Thor vs Galactus story in the comics right now but they'll never be able to do that on the films.

In that case couldn't they just not do crossovers with any new material?

Anyway, it feels like movies don't tend to go for more recent material to begin with (The Winter Soldier being a big exception, although I've probably forgotten others).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I should have known I was overgeneralising.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

qntm posted:

"Children of the Atom", right?
Yeah, which (in universe) is why the nuke tests in the mid 40s lead to a bunch of teenagers and young adults with powers in the mid 60s.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maria Hill definitely knows about Coulson.

E: Given Coulson's currently the nominal director of SHIELD in the MCU his existence can't be a secret for that much longer.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 20, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

They're just feeding the blogs that follow this sort of thing EXACTLY what they want.
It's pretty much what has been happening for Avengers 2 as well, except people aren't really worried about that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I'd imagine that most people who saw The Avengers had completely forgetten about Hawkeye's small part in Thor.
Especially when Hawkeye is a non-character for most of The Avengers anyway.

The Avengers was great, but you only need to look at X-Men or the Fellowship of the Ring or any film where a team is assembled through a series of vignettes to know that it's not the only way to do it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

With Justice League, your bringing in god-like aliens, mythical and magical cultures, the results of unrelated scientific accidents, and those who are simply really well trained vigilantes all to the mix. There is no overarching theme to easily sum up why these people do what they do and why they do it together.
They're heroes, and they're working together to do something they all believe in but couldn't do alone. It's a basic idea that has been used since at least the Illiad and the story of the Argonauts.

Sarchasm posted:

The setting makes the "why" less important. Elves can walk on snow because they're elves and elves are magical. You show a guy doing the same thing in Manhattan and you need to take a second and explain why.
Sure, but it doesn't inherently require a whole movie. It's why you have "getting the team together" sequences in films like Ocean's Eleven or Seven Samurai, and why most of the Avengers got a bit of a warm-up fight early on in the movie (because they correctly assumed that people wouldn't have seen all of the previous MCU films).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Unmature posted:

Also I don't think Wonder Woman is as iconic these days as people think. As an eight year old who Wonder Woman is. Even if they know, they won't tell you her origin or defining personality traits.
I don't either. Batman and Superman, sure, but the rest of the JLA (to varying extents) is definitely not stuff they can afford to think the audience is familiar with.

Marvel didn't even have that when they started the MCU.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Is this where people say Sucker Punch was a feminist film? Because if we're going to say stupid poo poo about Zach Snyder movies, we might as well go whole hog.

I think he genuinely intended it to be that, and failed utterly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

It's been a couple years since I watched it, but even that seems generous. I'm not sure Sucker Punch is coherent enough to have anything so lofty as "intent" attributed to it.

This interview was done shortly after release.

quote:

Would you say the film is a critique on sexist geek culture?

It is, absolutely. I find it interesting, in a lot of ways, that this movie – of all the movies I’ve made – has been universally hated by fanboys, which I find really interesting. It’s like a fanboy indictment, in some ways. They can’t have fun with the geek culture sexual hang ups.

I thought it was basically you commenting on those attendants at Comic-Con who shout, “You’re hot!” at beautiful cast members.

Yeah! 100%. They don’t know how to be around it. It’s funny because someone asked me about why I dressed the girls like that and I said, “Do you not get the metaphor there? The girls are in a brothel performing for men in the dark. In the fantasy sequences, the men in the dark are us. The men in the dark are basically me: dorky sci-fi kids.”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I mean - there's a whole lot of Whedon in Avengers. I'm sure that there were a ton of plot requirements, but it's got his stylistic fingerprints all over it.

Shane Black's influence is really obvious in Iron Man 3 as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No one suggesting Brad Bird for A3? Shameful.

He should have been tied up with Star Wars instead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

It's been this way with almost every movie since The Avengers.

Avengers: Thanos mid credits scene, shwarama post credits scene.
Thor 2: Collector mid credits scene, Natalie Portman kiss post credits scene.
Cap 2: Twins mid credits scene, Bucky post credits scene.

They seem to be following the same formula where the mid credits scene sets up a future movie in a different series, post credits scene is either something fun related only to this movie or something to set up a sequel in this specific series (i.e. more self contained).

I think Iron Man 3 is the only post Avengers movie to break from this.

The shwarama scene was also only in some versions, because of when they filmed it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

I'm pretty sure he was just rejecting the notion that Sarah Michelle Gellar hates Joss Whedon, not that she's an active poster on a Something Awful sub-forum.

Just to toss my opinion into this morning's discussion, Joss Whedon keeps a stable of actors that follow him from project to project and I don't think he could inspire that kind of loyalty if he was a shrieking tantrum monster.

It's possible for directors to change too. David O Russell got into a literal fight with George Clooney and called Lily Tomlin a oval office on set while cameras were rolling, but has now settled down and has a set of regular actors.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

qntm posted:

Wherever there is danger, he'll be there.

DANGERMOUSE
SUMMER 2016

They are actually making a new TV series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Does anyone else agree that Nebula was one of the highlights of Guardians of the Galaxy?

Yeah, she was good, especially in contrast to the other villains.

• Locked thread