Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CapnAndy posted:

She was going to have a cameo like Paltrow did, but was incredibly pregnant at the time. That's why Jane Foster gets whisked away to an island.

All the more reason why she should have been in the movie. Thor's :smith: look would have been priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I wish Thor would land by awkwardly letting go of the hammer mid-flight.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I hope he made appropriate vroooooooom noises as he did.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

qntm posted:

I don't see how a shortage of new characters to present on the screen is going to hurt two comic properties with 50 years of pre-existing characters to exploit.

Just to spite Fox any new villain Marvel creates for FF or the X-Men should be made out of clouds of nano-machines.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Or because the invention of Ultron also has Thanos-fuckery involved? Not in the canon comics, I guess, but who cares?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Katee Sackhoff as Wong.

Triple H as Dormammu.

Having just watched Immortals I kind of want to see Tarsem Singh as director for Dr. Strange. But only if Marvel intervenes a lot, Immortals was pretty bad outside of the visuals. But imagine The Fall with Dr. Strange, drat.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about Europe, would be the problem.

You'll eat those words when Captain Germany breaks all the box office records.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

What will happen first, all non-American superhero team movie or female superhero movie? I guess technically we already have the former with Guardians of the Galaxy, but you know what I mean.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"Headless Headhunter" just needs another name added starting with H and I know just the guy who could be him in a movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

No one outside of the US has ever heard of Shazam (or Gomer Pyle for that matter).

German goon here, and if I remember correctly Captain Marvel has only ever been known as Shazam over here. I vaguely remember an old cartoon and some comics and it was all Shazam, all the way.

TwoPair posted:

Easy. Captain Thunder.

This. Come on people, DC has this entire thing going on with Man of Steel and The Dark Knight, calling a Shazam movie "Captain of Thunder" doesn't seem far-fetched.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

People call Shazam the "Captain of Thunder"?

I don't know if they do it officially but I remember somebody in Kingdom Come referring to him as the Captain of Thunder and Lightning and I really liked that. If not that, he's bound to have another tagline/monicker, right?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

What Snyder means is that v is really just half a w and it stands for "with".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

teagone posted:

This looks ok as far as an origin concept execution goes. I could see something similar translate well on screen.

God drat it Jor-El, I realize you're awed by Doomsday's lovely design but that's no reason to slouch.

I'm not familiar with Doomsday in the comics beyond a surface level, does he even speak? He strikes me as vaguely Bane-like in his role, but Bane was supposed to be really intelligent whereas Doomsday seems kind of Hulk-y.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

In that case I absolutely agree with everyone that says Dwayne Johnson would be wasted on the role.

They should get Brock Lesnar instead.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Beating Superman is definitely some difficult odds for Cena to overcome.

But when Cena overcomes Superman he overcomes his self and if I remember my Nietzsche that makes him Superman :psyduck:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

I always feel baffled at people complaining about too many characters in superhero movies without "build-up" when Hollywood has been making done-in-one ensemble-based pictures for a long time. The problem is that the people making superhero movies are no Altman or Soderbergh, not that there should be a big-rear end 3 hour movie about Aquaman before the Justice League movie.

I think those complaints are mainly due to the most successful superhero movie having this build-up, and DC is ostensibly trying to ape that style, only they aren't really. It's a bit frustrating because they seem to want to do DC's The Avengers while doing none of the things that made The Avengers work for so many people in the franchise department.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lobok posted:

The flipside is that Marvel may not have needed to do it the way they did, and WB less so. Building up to the Avengers was part necessity because Marvel Studios started off small before it was part of Disney but also because they wanted to make sure movie-goers were sold on each of the heroes.

There's no reason why Justice League has to tease its arrival as many years in advance. It's Superman plus Batman plus Wonder Woman plus Aquaman plus Lex Luthor. Huge household name characters the public is very familiar with and familiar with seeing together.

There is a reason if DC wants to do it like Marvel did it. The reason is "because Marvel did it like that". I'm not arguing that Marvel's way is the one true way, it's merely vexing that DC seems to try and coopt Marvel's model but then is doing it kind of half-assedly. Of course it could still turn out that they weren't really trying to copy Marvel's formula, but it's not really clear just what it is they are trying to do instead. They are making a big superhero ensemble movie while doing nothing of what made the last big superhero ensemble movie work. That could go either way but I think the question was why people even bother to complain.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Also featuring Aquaman Cyborg.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sion posted:

Zack Snyder loving sucks.

Counterargument: Zack Snyder is loving great. Wooo Wooo Woo, you know it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Thanks, you too bra.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand why they even rebooted it, especially since huge portions of ASM1 were strangely similar to the Sam Raimi Spider-man 1.

It's so that they could claim that this wasn't your parents' slightly older brother's Spider-Man.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Ooooooooooh Yeah it was just awkward to watch. Total car crash tv.

Upgraded.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also if you adapt Maximum Carnage, you have to do it exactly as the comics did. Including an appearance by Night Thrasher ( or whatever his name was) to show how 90s it was, and Carnage must be defeated by the care bear stare.

I want to see a Maximum Carnage movie if only to see how they'd work around not having the rights to half the characters that randomly join Spidey throughout the story. I guess they could just include Not-Spawn a hundred times.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

I hope Falcon is in the new Avengers movie.

Falcon won't be in the new Avengers movie :(

Don't worry, he can be in the West Coast Avengers movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Chaos Hippy posted:

Is she wearing heels? Please tell me she's not wearing heels.

I hope she is wearing heels because heels in a Batman movie always make for such exciting debate.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

She better stab someone with that sword heel.

No wait, she can't. Wrong kind of shoe.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maybe Cap can't pick up the hammer because it's hella heavy? Like, technically he could pick it up because he is worthy but he'll have to take another dose of that supersoldier serum before he has the arms to wield a bigass warhammer.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ufarn posted:

It's not amazing, but the movie is only going to be something like 150 minutes; it should be possible to pick out the good parts, add some yourself, and make it decent.

:stare:

My baby son is going to grow up, move out and graduate while I watch Superman scowl at Batman and vice versa.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

What actually happens is that the avengers realize the Norse gods deduct points from your worth for sobriety. Cue a five-minute scene of Captain America going bar-crawling, before he drunkenly swings Mjolnir around triumpahntly.

More likely there will be a short scene of Captain America quietly crying into his drink because he remembered that he can't get drunk. The cruelest fate.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Hey, at least your dreams will probably come true

Why is Superman so excited? As far as I can tell the only thing the hammer does for Thor is enhancing his strength, enabling him to fly and give him some vague control over lightning? Superman can already do most of those things and then some.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Reynold should do what Thomas Jane does and just make short movies for Youtube.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"I need a GUN, Weasel!"

"Oh what is it?"

"It's a tool for shooting people."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

too many mutants.

That's what she said.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Black was attached to the Doc Savage movie after Iron Man 3 made obscene money, a month ago there were rumours about him directing a Predator remake/sequel. Nothing with Marvel.

I hope the Predator remake/sequel is for Marvel. And it's set in the MCU.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Also, if anyone wants to spoil themselves, here's a pic of Thanos from GotG.
http://imgur.com/dm6isJb

Apparently all of his forehead fell down his face and landed in his chin. Also why are we spoilering this?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ladyboy pancake posted:

so apparently Marvel has officially taken out a trademark on Squirrel Girl so take that as you will.

I guess that settles how Thanos gets beaten in Avengers 3.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Hulk-out thing was due to some other Dark Elvish magic, or did I miss something and they based it off the Aether, too?

Because that'd make sense, now that I think about it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

You know who'd be a great Adam Warlock? Tom Hiddleston, that's who.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said something about a 1000-year war or something. They seem to be implying that the Kree have a Skrull-like rivalry with Xandar.

If they really fought for that long neither side could have tried very hard :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mads Mikkelsen

Yesssss. If not that then surely another character, and I'm looking forward to seeing who it will be because I love me some Mads. At the rate Marvel is going he'll have to be in one of their movies because they make so many that everybody ends up in them eventually. Everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm seriously glad that didn't manifest, and I say that as someone who liked Thor 2. He would have been so wasted on that film. Destro was just the right man for that job.

• Locked thread