Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

I've read this three times and I'm still not sure what you mean.

I think he's talking about how Alan Taylor disliked how campy the GOTG teaser was and wasn't happy about having it attached to his movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I used to hate Bay's films but after watching Pain and Gain, I'm 100% convinced that he may be the greatest troll in the history of cinema.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

I believe there's an entire thread over on CineD to that effect.

Here's a link. it's certainly interesting reading.

Yeah, I had read that thread before the film came out and had similar suspicions. P&G was just the confirmation that yes, he knows exactly what he's doing.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

greatn posted:

I haven't seen Catwoman, but it seems like one of those films people say is really bad without ever having seen it. All I know is it certainly deviates from the Batman character.

Berry's catwoman probably isn't as bad as her Storm, right?

I dunno, I'd recommend anyone watch it at least once; it's terrible, but still within the realm of being enjoyably bad.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Isn't there a rumor that BvS was delayed due to Affleck getting injured?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Looks like DC is finally getting serious about a Wonder Woman film.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Regardless of how DOFP does, anyone thinking that Fox would sell the rights back to Marvel is probably going to be sorely disappointed. Fox would rather make a dozen underperforming X-Men films before they let Disney profit off of a single one.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Chaos Hippy posted:

Aren't they supposed to be aliens instead of mutants in this movie? If that's still the case, I wouldn't count on anything.

Also, Michael Bay.

They were, until someone at the studio said "this is stupid" and made them mutants again.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Sion posted:

No, see, I haven't seen it but every single review of it I saw basically said 'there's nothing good in this film at all.' Is it worth givin' a look?

You should absolutely watch it, it's an amazing film. It felt like most of the criticism it got came from people who couldn't accept the idea that Bay is a competent filmmaker who is a lot smarter than people give him credit for. I don't think it would have gotten such a negative reception if it were released under a pseudonym.

"Man, how could you make a film glorifying a real life murder? Michael Bay is a meatheaded jock sociopath, there's no way he could know what satire is!"

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 3, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The Fantastic Four have officially been cast: Miles Teller is Reed, Kate Mara is Sue, Michael B. Jordan is Johnny, and Jamie Bell is Ben.

Can't wait for all the "not racist but" comments about Jordan's casting. I think the most interesting thing about this is that all of the actors are in their 20's.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 20, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Black Widow is finally, finally getting a solo film.

This announcement sure would have been cool if it hadn't come several years after it should have, directly after the announcement of a Wonder Woman film.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Hakkesshu posted:

That cartoon ruled, and I was so goddamn pumped after that last AoA tease. Man, Marvel is wasting that license. Why is there no awesome X-Men cartoon running now? Why is every X-Men video game complete garbage?

Considering how terrible Marvel's cartoons are right now, I wouldn't mind them dragging their feet on an X-Men show until Loeb leaves.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm aware of that. I was speaking in terms of Disney is probably not too keen on wanting to deal with a conflicting superhero film franchise out there using a character they are also using. I know they're doing it right now because both companies have shared the rights to use them, and apparently Whedon REALLY wanted to use them in Avengers, but I'm sure Disney would prefer being able to control the character.

edit: Disney won't really be able to control what Fox does with the character all that much, and it sort of puts them in a strange position of having the two versions being maybe at odds with one another in terms of characterization, powers, etc. If Fox's version is more popular, or if Fox's version ends up portrayed in a really bad way, it's something that could affect the reception of the Disney version of the character and how they choose to go about promoting and using him in the future. Would they want to still use the Disney Quicksilver if they thought that their efforts would do more to promote the rival studios version of the character if he gets prominently featured in future X-films?

Of course, I could just as easily argue incest Quicksilver hasn't hurt the reputation of mainstream Quicksilver.

At this point, I think Disney's biggest problem will be having Aaron Taylor-Johnson constantly get compared negatively to Evan Peters. It'll be really hard for Whedon to top DOFP's usage of Quicksilver, and the images/teasers of ATJ's version aren't exactly inspiring confidence in me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Who is that?

Lupita Nyong'o I think?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The difference between the DOFP Quicksilver photos and the MCU Quicksilver photos is that at the very least, Peters' Quicksilver had some sort of interesting personality and look while ATJ's Quicksilver is just a boring brooding guy in Under Armour.

But then again, I was one of the handful of people who liked DOFP Quicksilver's outfit and was rightfully vindicated when he turned out to be the best part of the film.

quote:

I think it's pretty clear from those set pics that those aren't Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's final looks in the film. They aren't going to have a whole team of people in tightly designed costumes with one dude in mismatched Under Armor standing next to them.

I know, but I think it's indicative of the direction they want to go with the character. Same thing with Scarlet Witch being dressed up as a 90's mall goth.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Didn't see this posted here yet, but Hollywood Reporter has announced that along with Edgar Wright leaving, most of Ant-Man's key crew has left due to a lack of confidence that the film will make the announced release date. Apparently Marvel still doesn't have any replacements lined up and they aren't budging on the July 2015 release date. At this point, I think the film will either be delayed or be released as an X3-level rush job. What a loving trainwreck.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Crosspost from CD: Nikki Finke is claiming that DC is about to get really serious about their film slate, really soon:

Nikki Finke posted:

We know that Warner Bros Pictures is way behind Marvel Studios when it comes to making movies out of its comic book properties. But I have intel on what is coming up at this July’s Comic-Con from the studio. A lot of stuff remains in flux but my sources have so far:

May 2016 – Batman v Superman
July 2016 – Shazam
Xmas 2016 – Sandman
May 2017 – Justice League
July 2017 – Wonder Woman
Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

There had been talk of a Metal Men and Suicide Squad movie for sometime in 2016 but that project fell off the schedule.

Meanwhile, if you were wondering why Batman v Superman was delayed, it wasn’t the script or Ben Affleck or Jesse Eisenberg but with the fact that this pic will act as a launching pad for the Justice League. According to my source, “Like Marvel’s The Avengers, there will be cameos of superheroes for future installments. The cameos will include the already known Cyborg and Flash. Green Lantern [not played by Ryan Reynolds, thank god] may be introduced. And Aquaman will be seen in the Justice League movie. Problem is, Warner Bros Pictures was still negotiating with the actors for those cameos and future roles, meaning major contracts for multiple JL/character films to follow. The studio didn’t want to move forward until they had more of this secure so they held off starting production for a few months. Seemingly simple reason, but the implications are pretty darn huge.”

Some of this sounds too out-there to be true (Shazam and Sandman films by 2016? What?), but it sounds really interesting nonetheless.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

Even though he has the look for Black Adam I think I'd almost prefer him as Shazam. He can totally pull off that big kid smile and optimism and it would add another person of color to the League.

I'm still holding out for Dwayne Johnson as John Stewart.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Oracle posted:

Still doesn't inherently require a whole origin movie. See Grant Morrison. Batman, Superman, and yes Wonder Woman are iconic enough they don't need a detailed intro like say, Guardians of the Galaxy. Wonder Woman was incredibly huge in the 70s, and most people today if you ask 'who is Wonder Woman' will tell you about the star-spangled bathing suit and bullet-reflecting bracelets and invisible jet and magic lasso who is basically girl Superman.

I mean they make freaking underoos for kids of her for jah's sake. This is not some unknown niche property like say, Watchmen was.

DC's major advantage is that most of their characters have built-in recognition. People know who Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Flash are, no explanation needed. Hell, you could probably have the film start off with the JL being an established group and people would still buy it. The only JL characters that would need explaining are Green Lantern and Cyborg (whose backstory could be summed up in 3 sentences, tops.)

I think that using BvS as a way to quickly introduce the formation of the JL is fine, because a JL movie would only need one film's worth of setup at the most. The real reason Marvel had 5 films to set up Avengers was because they were a fledgling studio, and they needed to build up some form of star power and momentum before making a "big film" like Avengers. WB doesn't have that problem.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've never really got the complaints over the the tornado scene. The fact that Pa Kent died in a stupid, completely preventable way due to his refusal to compromise his beliefs is kind of the entire loving point of that scene.

I think that when people say that they hate MOS, what they really mean is that they hate MOS's message and worldview. That's a perfectly fine opinion to have, but I don't think it's the same thing as the film being incompetently made. MOS is a flawed film, but I think it absolutely achieved what it wanted to achieve.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Sarchasm posted:

Young Clark is able to act in a way that both saves Pa Kent's life and also upholds Pa Kent's wish of "don't let on that you're different." But he doesn't, and within the movie there's really no good answer why. The real reason Pa Kent dies is because the script needed some kind of emotional moment to further push Kent into brooding seclusion, and no one on staff knew how to write it better.

He doesn't because Pa Kent specifically tells him not to. Clark having to respect his father's decision to die in the car despite being able to find a way out of it is the pivotal moment of that scene, and central to Clark's character arc. It isn't some coincidence that all three of Clark's father figures die due to their steadfast beliefs of what Clark should be, and that only when all three of them are dead is Clark able to exercise free will and become Superman.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 11, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Sarchasm posted:

But that just raises another problem with the movie, which is that it's a Superman film where Superman doesn't have any agency whatsoever.

I just really didn't like Man of Steel. It was gloomy and self-serious and I still think that too much of the movie happens just because characters need something to push them from one scene to the next. It has a lot of Big Smart Ideas and I respect that, but none of them ever feel earned. The characters just move and act like they're told without ever feeling motivated. You can argue that Kent has a slavish devotion to figures of authority and that it prevents him from acting, but what sets that up? Why does he have such low self-confidence that he'll let his father die rather than act?

Well as I said, the heart of your argument is that you don't like what the film has to say, rather than how it said it. You are absolutely correct that Superman has no agency in his own film (although I'd argue that Clark does not become Superman until he gives himself agency at the end of the film), and I'd say you're also correct that Goyer doesn't really have the finesse to fully execute the ideas the film raises. But the main issue is that Clark not having agency isn't a "problem" caused by incompetence, it's a very intentional choice by the filmmakers, and (IMO) an interesting one at that. I viewed the film as an extended version of the whole Uncle Ben story, where the main character has superpowers but isn't truly a superhero yet until he experiences a certain trauma that fundamentally shapes who he is as a person.

The film is cyclical in nature: Jor-El chooses to die with the rest of Krypton because he believes Clark should be given a new life, free from the corruption that has destroyed Krypton. Clark obviously obliges because he's an infant with no say in the matter. Pa Kent chooses to die in the storm because he believes that Clark should be able to live as a normal human, and that he would rather accept the consequences of his stupid mistake rather than ruin the only semblance of a normal life Clark has. Clark has a lot more agency in this matter, but is forced to respect his father's wishes and let him go. Zod chooses suicide by cop because he believes that Clark should help rebuild Krypton over Earth's ashes, and that with his life's purpose destroyed his only goal is to make Clark miserable out of spite. Clark is forced to oblige by executing him, but the emotional trauma of doing so is what creates Superman. Superman only exists after Clark breaks free from the cycle and has full agency to do what he wants to do, free from the influence of his father figures.

Again, it's not something I expect others to like out of principle, but I thought the arc was generally well handled.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Sarchasm posted:

Not so much that I didn't like the message, just that I don't think the writing conveys that message competently. I really like the ideas behind the film, but I don't think they're set up properly. Too many times I have to ask myself "Why is he doing that?" and too often I don't feel like I have a great answer.

I think we're arguing from positions of idea versus execution. We agree on both points, strangely enough (unless I'm misunderstanding you), we just value them differently. You're an ideas guy, I'm more concerned with how the script executes those ideas. I really like your take on the movie, though.

I agree that the script is by far the weakest link (although I think the plot is generally sound), but there was enough for me to like that I enjoyed the film as a whole. It's why I'm cautiously optimistic about BvS; Snyder is capable when it comes to directing, but he always chooses really terrible scripts. I feel like Chris Terrio is talented enough that he can bring some finesse to the table that Goyer lacked.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Nothing concrete yet, but it sounds like WB wants Chris Terrio to write the Justice League film as well as BvS. I am fully in support of WB's plan to quietly remove Goyer off the franchise.

Re: Ant Man, I have no idea how the gently caress this film is going to be completed on time without being a massive trainwreck. The film is supposed to be in theaters less than a year from now and it doesn't even sound like they've finalized a script, let alone started shooting.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This "WB chickened out" thing is such fanboyish bullshit. Both Marvel and WB were poised to lose money if they opened the same day. If anything, I'd say that Marvel came out of this worse, considering BvS is now set to make more money than Cap 3 by using Cap 2's own release strategy against Marvel.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

JT Smiley posted:

How so? By the time Cap 3 comes out BVS will be long out of theaters with no competition to speak of. Releasing first isn't a guarantee of anything this far out.

The issue isn't what's in theaters in opening weekend, it's what's opening in the weeks afterwards. Cap 3 is much closer to the summer blockbuster season and will have to deal with other tentpole films cutting into the film's performance in the long term. BvS will be the only game in town for roughly a month and won't have to deal with that.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I really really doubt anyone will care about who blinked first next year besides the usual company war fanboys.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
For what it's worth, Seth Rogen says the rumor is bullshit:

He sounds pretty sure about this; I wonder if he's secretly attached to one of the DC projects.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't know who you can cast for Shazam. You'll need someone who can physically match up with the Rock, and that's not easy. I think they'll have to go with an unknown, or redesign the big cheese so he's more like a lean cut guy and not a big dude.

In a perfect world, Shazam would be played by Dwayne Johnson and Black Adam would be played by Dwayne Johnson in a goatee.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

omg chael crash posted:

I don't care if it is or isn't, but it seems like Shazam isn't connected to MoS/BvS?

Actually, I do care.

It sounds like it is, it just won't directly cross over with those films.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The next DC film to be announced is Suicide Squad, directed by David Ayer.

I love David Ayer and I am 100% down for this.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Crosspost from CineD:

2016 - Batman v. Superman
2016 - Suicide Squad
2017 - Wonder Woman
2017 - Justice League
2017 - Lego Batman
2018 - Flash (starring Ezra Miller)
2018 - Aquaman
2019 - Shazam
2019 - Justice League 2
2020 - Cyborg
2020 - Green Lantern

Not sure why they want to make a Cyborg movie, but good for Cyborg fans?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Koalas March posted:

Its literally the same thing. Our target was boys and girls liked it instead but we don't care because sexism so let's cancel this show instead of marketing it to a different audience.

That's not really how television works. When advertisers pay money to show ads during a program, they're looking for a very specific demographic and expecting that demographic to tune in. The network could have said "hey this show is for girls now", but then all the advertisers looking for a male demographic (because guess where the money is!) would finance something else, ad revenue would be lower, the show would fail to make a profit and get canceled anyway.

I personally blame YJ's cancellation on being a moderately pricey animated drama show at a time when there is very little demand for that type of show, and a pretty boring and mediocre animated drama show to boot.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

Bleeding Cool is claiming that the first Wonder Woman movie is a period piece taking place in the 1920s and the second will take place in world war 2. The first will involve the typical origin of a man (who may not be Steve Trevor) discovering the Amazons and will introduce Diana to the world of man. The third movie will feature the modern day Diana in the Justice league.

I feel like this whole thing is a setup for the marketing of the second movie to get double use out of the WW2 acronym

That sounds way too interesting to be real.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
"Fun" is such a useless nebulous term, and it always irritates me to see people act like it's some kind of well-defined adjective. 98% of the time, "fun" just means "I liked this but can't actually elaborate why".

For what it's worth, I've had way more fun watching Inception and Dark Knight than I had watching any Marvel movie.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've said it before but the whole point of that scene is that Pa Kent's death was easily avoidable, and what that says about him and Clark as characters. Complaining about why Pa made a stupid life-threatening decision is like complaining that Schultz's plan in Django Unchained is overly complicated; it's mistaking an intentional character flaw for a half-assed plot.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
For all the complaining MOS gets, its depiction of Smallville as a place full of scared old white people who work in large big box stores feels incredibly realistic and apt to me. Anyone who idolizes small-town Kansas as an idyllic haven of American virtue has clearly never been there.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
At this point, I have to support this film if only because it makes so many pedantic nerds furious.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
loving called it: Michelle Maclaren is directing Wonder Woman.

Really happy to see Maclaren making the transition into film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I was really hoping for Timothy Olyphant as Deadshot, which got me thinking about Walton Goggins as the Joker.

But Will Smith as Captain Boomerang? Seriously? You'd think they would want to save him to play a bigger, more significant character, and not a sneaky, sniveling, C-list supervillain who has regularly been portrayed as a RACIST white Australian. Of all the news, that seems the least likely to happen anyway.

I've heard that Will Smith doesn't like doing sequels/franchises, which would rule him out for playing any major characters.

• Locked thread