Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

Does Black Panther have any enemies who are worth a drat? Even Klaw's kinda lovely.

I guess there's M'Baku the Man-Ape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Hank Pym hitting Jan is the comic book equivalent of some boring video game nerd explaining that Super Mario 2 was ACTUALLY a Japanese game with different sprites. Just a pointless irritating factoid that someone found on a "10 SHOCKING things you didn't know about superheroes" clickbait listicle.

I'm almost certain there was a Cracked list to this effect a few years ago. Hank hitting Jan was on it.

Of course, if Jim Shooter is to be believed, he wasn't even meant to punch her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

As poo poo as Millar is, he's but one of a large fraternity of writers who have decided that THEY are the ones to finally address the wife beating once and for all!

I think Chuck Austen's version was worse than what Millar wrote (if you can believe that).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

Chuck Austen wrote something worse than X is probably the most easily believable narrative in comics.

I've been told that he wrote Exiles better than Chris Claremont.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They can't call him Quicksilver in the Avengers movie either, right? I think I've read that before.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was on this other forum where this one dude deperately wants Sarah Michelle Gellar to play Carol Danvers, I guess because of the whole Whedon connection. I'm not sure if it'd work.

Personally, I'd be pretty keen if it was the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel and they were played by Gina Torres. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really wanted to go and see it on Saturday but my dad and my brother both wanted to stay home and watch the rugby, so I had nobody to go with and ended up staying at home. :smith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

I was going to say "Yeah, why would you want to add blades to the danger" but then I remembered the Spider-Man musical already had a Silver Samurai/Stryfe-looking villain called Swiss Miss.

When you mentioned "blades" I instantly thought, "So, it's Wolverine on ice now, is it?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I just got back from Thor 2 and I thought it was a lot of fun.

I'm aware that there'll be a follow-up episode of SHIELD which will focus on the jet pilots who were sent into Vanaheim and I'm really hoping that one of them will be Carol Danvers. That might be an interesting way to do it. Or maybe even Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch.

For added fun, on the drive home, I was trying to explain to my dadthat Marvel Studios can't make films featuring Marvel's most popular characters when he was asking whether Spider-Man would be in the next Avengers movie.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 10, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I can guarantee that this won't be the case. Why would she be part of the British royal air force?

The same reason Emil Blonsky was in the Royal Marines, I imagine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess they could just as easily say, "Those were SHIELD planes, not the RAF," or something like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

If there's going to be any Captain Marvelness, we won't see any hints until GoG, as there are Kree in it in the form of Ronan.

Can they use the Kree? They're not tied up with the FF film rights or anything, are they? I understand Ronan is going to be one of Thanos's minions in GOTG.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Monaghan posted:

Well that doesn't seem like a good sign. Christ I really want a proper big screen version of dr. doom and I am pretty confident that marvel studios could do him justice.

I was saying to my dad on the way home from the cinema last night, it's a real shame that Marvel Studios can't use either of their two biggest villains from the comics (Doom and Magneto, and also Galactus insofar as he's a villain) in their films.

I guess there's other options; Kang (played by Frank Langella basically reprising his Skeletor performance) could stand in for Doom, for example, and they could potentially use, say, Dormammu as a Galactus stand-in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

team overhead smash posted:

With the Infinity Gauntlet you could beat every single cosmic entity in the MU simultaneously (and in fact Thanos did that in infinity Gauntlet).

With one exception, I think; the Living Tribunal was able cancel their power and prevent them from being used in unison. :spergin:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, they could totally adapt the old Alan Moore/Alan Davis Captain Britain stuff in some way (it'd be pretty entertaining if there's an episode of SHIELD referencing the British Prime Minister James Jaspers or something small like that), while using parts of Claremont's original plan for "Mutant Massacre" and "Fall Of the Mutants" (instead of the Marauders and the Adversary, he wanted to use the Fury, but Moore objected and he had to change his plans). They could just call it "Fall of the Avengers" or something.

Probably too obscure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been entertaining the idea that Affleck Batman and Cavill Superman could be kinda like Loki and Thor in The Dark World, respectively. That might be an interesting way to do it, but I'm not completely convinced Batman is even allowed to be anything other than dour/brooding/I AM THE NIGHT all the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Matthew Fox should play Strange, like Jack from Lost except with magic powers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If he was a bit younger, I reckon Frank Langella could probably pull off full-on comic book Doom.

Edit: Additionally, here's an article I found which looks at a possible Easter egg from Thor 2.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 13, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had seen a message board post by a Whedon fanboy insisting that Sarah Michelle Gellar could and should play Captain Marvel. I didn't really buy it. I've now encountered another suggestion: Anna Torv.

I'm actually watching Fringe at the moment. I'm not really sure. Maybe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

How far are you in it?

I'm only halfway through the second season at the moment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Magneto's too powerful for his own good. He can do anything as long as he remembers to say he's doing it magnetically. Like, I'm pretty sure he used to be able to control people mentally and say it was because of his "animal magnetism" or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I think that got retconned away as using the iron in red blood cells to deprive parts of the brain of oxygen. Then someone realized that meant he could kill nearly anyone, or lobotomize even Professor Xavier at will, and someone got a no-prise for figuring out how little iron is in the bloodstream/entire human body in reference to him. After that he suddenly lost the ability to effect blood-flow more than very slightly.

True.

Could he not do something similar with electromagnetic radiation? I'm not a physicist (of course, neither are most comic book writers) so I've no idea what the maximum extent of Magneto's powers are meant to be. I mean, sometimes he just controls metal and others he can control the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

I guess it depends on the ambition of the writer; I think Morrison made some allusions about that (he did the same thing with Triumph and Electric Blue Superman in JLA).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Cyclops just had super-strong neck muscles?

Of course, I'd heard about how his optic blasts were actually punches from the punch dimension, but I'd assumed it was all a big joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Explaining Rogue's Danvers powers works better without Danvers. Ms. Marvel had energy powers, so you're left explaining that Rogue absorbed someone's powers so hard that she took them permanently, but some were left out for some reason.

I think she only had strength, speed and flight when Rogue absorbed her powers. Unless I'm mistaken, Carol didn't get energy powers until she became Binary.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dacap posted:

Edit: looking closer, it appears to actually be quadrupedal. I'm fine with the idea of a mech suit for Rhino like in Ultimate, it's probably the best choice to adapt the character to film but I'm a little disappointed at the way it's set up here. Without having the open face it'll just feel like he's fighting a robot, it's the same reason I wasn't a fan of how Silver Samurai was done in The Wolverine.

Didn't he once have a Mecha-Rhino suit he used to fight the Hulk in 616 continuity as well?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dacap posted:

I think they're likely doing a combo of the classic and Ultimate where he still has the iconic glider and bombs, but he actually transforms into the goblin and doesn't just wear a mask.

They should use Stan Lee's original idea (an actual goblin released from an ancient Egyptian sarcophagus).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been on a Fringe binge for the last couple of months. I'm about a third of the way through season five.

I think if they're ever going to include the Vision in an Avengers movie, they should totally get Michael Cerveris to play him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Codependent Poster posted:

Okay Singer, you better get Cyclops for an Apocalypse movie. Also Cable.

They could adapt the Alan Davis storyline where Cyclops merges with Apocalypse at the end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Frank Langella too old to play Apocalypse?

I mean, sure he needs to play Kang and Doctor Doom first, but I'm sure he could do Apocalypse as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timeless Appeal posted:

Masters of Evil featuring Duchovny as the Swordsman and Anderson as Madame Masque.

Zemo and the Enchantress.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Marvel wanted to make a Captain Britain movie (not likely, I'll grant) would they be able to use Psylocke?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mostly I'd like to see it because I think Jared Harris could play Mad Jim Jaspers.

I guess someone like Benedict Cumberbatch could play Captain British. I seems like he'd have the prerequisite stiff upper lippedness.

Perhaps they could get away with having Psylocke in the movie but never calling her Psylocke? She was only ever Betsy or Elizabeth in the original Captain Britain comics, as I recall.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Only if he's not too busy playing James Bond.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Are you saying Idris Elba as James Bond as Captain Britain is wrong?

No, I'm not. Didn't mean it to come off that way and I'm sorry if it did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

More or less that. Because that's something that should be in the minds and hearts of every boy and girl in the world.

Ah, I see now. Yes, that would be most entertaining.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'm inclined to assume they could use her if she's only called Betsy Braddock, because as far as I'm aware she wasn't called Psylocke until Claremont decided to the put her in the X-Men. She still had purple hair before that, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax posted:

X-Foce just makes sense. I mean sooner or later someone at Fox needs to realize they own pretty much as many characters and teams as Marvel Studios itself, right?

Ron Perlman for Cable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waterhaul posted:

Fox hired a new producer the other day to work on the whole shared universe for Fantastic Four and X-Men thing so it's still chugging along.

I think they've also appointed Mark Millar as the main creative consultant, haven't they?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked The Incredible Hulk a lot more than I expected to; it was the only Phase One movie I hadn't seen at that point and I didn't really expect great things from it, but it was a fun action movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like SuperShadow if SuperShadow was obsessed with Marvel films instead of Star Wars.

• Locked thread