Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Comparing this movie to the Avengers, and it is interesting...

Okay, in GOTG, the team start off INCREDIBLY flawed, spend a good portion of the movie at each others throats and making terrible, selfish decisions before teaming up when it becomes clear that things have gotten out of hand. And while it is heavy handed with the whole POWER OF FRIENDSHIP stuff, up to and including how the main conflict is resolved, it feels satisfying and natural.

Disclaimer, I really liked the Avengers. That said, they are supposed heroes who act really bitchy to each other (With the notable exception of the Stark-Banner bromance) for no real reason, and were basically tricked into ultimately teaming up. I still like the movie but GOTG really shows how cynical it kinda is.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, apparently (GOTG) the infinity gem was the power gem, according to some artbook?

I am disappointed that the gem that they ended up guarding wasn't actually the galaxy gem, if we go by color

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Deadpool posted:

There is no gem by that name. The gems are Mind, Soul, Time, Space, Power, and Reality.

oh. must have got space and galaxy mixed up. i feel dumb.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JediTalentAgent posted:

One thing that really struck me in the movie is how well the Knowhere defeats really felt absolutely crushing for the main characters: Drowned, suffocated, frozen, beaten, robbed, captured, etc., but ultimately ended up uniting them.

It sort of made me think of it as a counterpoint to the scene in Avengers where they blow up the forest, for some reason.

Actually, the counterpoint scene is the entire Helicarrier fight. And they still mope around until Nick Fury has to lie to them to do anything about the aliens stomping New York into a mud hole.

I mean, I still like the Avengers, but seeing GOTG kinda underlines and bolds how needlessly terrible they were to each other, except for Tony and Bruce.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Tony TASED Bruce.

But the Avengers being huge dicks to each other and fighting is part of why they're the Avengers and not the Justice League.

When was that? I just remember them being Science Bros.

It would be nice if they didn't chase the Spacedad plot thread and make the sequel Gamora centric.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hey a bunch of new posts in the Movies thread! I wonder what everyone is talking abo :stonklol:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want the Rock to be Captain Marvel because I want to see him remake Big but with superpowers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I like to read about horribly troubled productions so it gave us that :kiddo:

So do I! Is there a particular place where we could read about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

How did superman come to team up with a guy named Sinestro?

You got something against left handed people?

Now Atrocitus? That is an unfortunate name.

• Locked thread