Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kinmik posted:

:stare: I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that's how you get goblins.

Luckily, there are no goblins in Finland; only gnomes.

or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Good place to store boards and other woodworking materials I think. I am gonna build some shelves so I can store them up there. And hey I can look down into the workshop:

I'm no expert, but since your bottom chord is spliced, you may want to find alternate storage for anything besides lumber (I figure the lumber will be fine, since it distributes its own weight pretty well, of course, you may want to keep it closer to the tie-in side rather than directly over the splice plate.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Few updates still trickling in... Cut and split all the firewood I got from when we felled last years trees. I think it should last me a while:

Just finished putting in the tiles in the sauna too, and today we put in the fireplace, it's not done yet, still need to fill the thing up with rocks:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
that fireplace seems stoked to be there! :iamafag:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I like how happy the sauna heater looks. It's been pretty cool to see all this come together.

jason87x
May 11, 2013
Is this high quality of building common in Finland, and how does it compare to other northern European countries? Does this high quality construction make the home prices insane? I live in Texas, where shoddy construction has been the norm the past few years, given the labor shortage and insanely high job growth.

I'm also curious why the large laundry room. In the US, the laundry room is often a closet with a washer and dryer and nothing else, though some larger houses will actually have a small laundry room with a sink and cabinet.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

jason87x posted:

Is this high quality of building common in Finland, and how does it compare to other northern European countries? Does this high quality construction make the home prices insane? I live in Texas, where shoddy construction has been the norm the past few years, given the labor shortage and insanely high job growth.

I'm also curious why the large laundry room. In the US, the laundry room is often a closet with a washer and dryer and nothing else, though some larger houses will actually have a small laundry room with a sink and cabinet.

Due to climate you can't really build shoddy. I'd say that as long as you can afford a house to begin with, the poorer you are, the better work you have to do (or buy). Otherwise it will be miserable and cold and moldy in no time. The construction is pretty heavily regulated, too, but I'm not an expert on specifics there since my family hasn't exactly built a house (there are these companies who just sort of pre-build the house and ship it to the construction site in a few elements and my parents did it that way). Other than that, I'd say the OPs house is pretty typical.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'd like to think the quality of construction in this was good by local standards, I know it's a lot nicer than a lot of the element houses and definitely better than the main budget house builder Älvsby Talo (also one of the largest builders), which we discarded because they did not offer hydronic floor heating or geothermal heating.

Two of our neighbors have houses from them (one just started building) and another guy I know is building a house from them and based on his facebook posting, ours is definitely nicer and more polished. Our house may not be as large when it comes to area, but it's more qualitative I'd like to think. The main thing we like and that lots of others have commented on, is the large kitchen (we did put a lot of effort into customizing it) and open layout.

As for the laundry room, well it's got a sink that works well as a secondary place to wash large dishes, it houses the central vacuum cleaner, the plumbing comes into the house here and goes out from this one room, we keep the medicine cabinet, cleaning equipment and chemicals, towels and the like. So it's more than just a laundry room. The actual word I would use for this room is grovkök (rough kitchen?) which doesn't translate well. The finnish for this room is kodinhuoltohuone or house-service-room, which does translate better and sorta says what it is about. "Technical area" is another term I've heard.

This room is quite central and gets used a lot, infact I enter and leave the house here 99.99% of the time, I don't think I've used the main entrance more than 5-10 times since we moved in.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

I'd like to think the quality of construction in this was good by local standards, I know it's a lot nicer than a lot of the element houses and definitely better than the main budget house builder Älvsby Talo (also one of the largest builders), which we discarded because they did not offer hydronic floor heating or geothermal heating.

Two of our neighbors have houses from them (one just started building) and another guy I know is building a house from them and based on his facebook posting, ours is definitely nicer and more polished. Our house may not be as large when it comes to area, but it's more qualitative I'd like to think. The main thing we like and that lots of others have commented on, is the large kitchen (we did put a lot of effort into customizing it) and open layout.

As for the laundry room, well it's got a sink that works well as a secondary place to wash large dishes, it houses the central vacuum cleaner, the plumbing comes into the house here and goes out from this one room, we keep the medicine cabinet, cleaning equipment and chemicals, towels and the like. So it's more than just a laundry room. The actual word I would use for this room is grovkök (rough kitchen?) which doesn't translate well. The finnish for this room is kodinhuoltohuone or house-service-room, which does translate better and sorta says what it is about. "Technical area" is another term I've heard.

This room is quite central and gets used a lot, infact I enter and leave the house here 99.99% of the time, I don't think I've used the main entrance more than 5-10 times since we moved in.

I think maybe "mud room" is a close approximation.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Some grad student should really do qualitative research on this. This always happens and I can't figure out why.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Valiantman posted:

Some grad student should really do qualitative research on this. This always happens and I can't figure out why.

I've seen a shitload of houses with a grand entrance no one ever used. I think it must be a bourgeois thing.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
We call those rooms utility rooms, though all of the newer houses I've been in the US don't really have them anymore.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Most of it looks incredibly nice but good loving lord is that floral wallpaper utterly terrible. So completely out of place with everything else.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Hey OP, I've really enjoyed reading through this thread; thanks for sharing all of this. How's the winter treating you in your new home? I hope that you and your family are nice and cozy there, no gnome infestations etc. -- and especially I hope that your babies are well and thriving there, since you mentioned surgery a while back.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tsa posted:

Most of it looks incredibly nice but good loving lord is that floral wallpaper utterly terrible. So completely out of place with everything else.

This is because they really have awful taste. I mean it's a nice house technically but...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bumping this thread because I don't want to let it go into archives just yet. Since spring is coming I guess I can post stuff about the upcoming yard work which is still just one big mess. Got several stonewalls we're gonna build for starters.

We did get a terrace for the house though, so that's new, just threw out the christmas tree when that photo was taken:

Most of my work this winter has been spent in the garage, turning it into a workshop, really not much else that can be done:

Now that the snow has melted (unseasonably quick) I've been clearing the area around the yard and preparing for the guy with the earth mover to come finish the job.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bumping this thread because I don't want to let it go into archives just yet. Since spring is coming I guess I can post stuff about the upcoming yard work which is still just one big mess. Got several stonewalls we're gonna build for starters.

We did get a terrace for the house though, so that's new, just threw out the christmas tree when that photo was taken:

Now that the snow has melted (unseasonably quick) I've been clearing the area around the yard and preparing for the guy with the earth mover to come finish the job.

Looking good!

I was considering unstarring this thread just earlier today and then you posted another update. Maybe I'll have my own house in about 40 years :v:

Orlen
Oct 25, 2005
custom user title
I love the wallpaper! I can't stand the current trend for boring neutral painted walls. It's nice to see a house with a bit of character!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Orlen posted:

I love the wallpaper! I can't stand the current trend for boring neutral painted walls. It's nice to see a house with a bit of character!

I'm ok with the wallpaper, but given some of the other people's reactions I can see why it's often recommended to paint your walls inoffensively bland before trying to sell your home. People just tend to have fairly subjective reactions to it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Orlen posted:

I agree in spirit, but the character seems to be "little old grandma." At least for the kitchen--the vines ain't so bad.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

I agree in spirit, but the character seems to be "little old grandma." At least for the kitchen--the vines ain't so bad.

I thought that too until he posted the closeups.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've been really quiet on this whole subject because I don't wanna come off in the wrong way and basically just try and post how the project is coming along, I figured some time away from this thread would stop the bitching about the wallpaper but apparently not. Let it loving go already.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 22, 2015

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Goons love to bitch, I guess. Your house looks cool! I'd buy it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Love or hate wallpaper, at least it looks like you properly prepped your wall before hanging it. I'm redoing a bathroom where it looks like they hung wallpaper directly on the drywall when the house was built (no skimcoat, no primer, just glued it on up there). At some point someone tried to unsuccessfully take it off and only got it about half off and put new wallpaper up on top of it. That was then sort of taken off at one point. The plasticy textured part was taken off but the glued paper underneath was left fully on. That was then painted with banana yellow paint and then some new ugly-rear end wall paper was hung. This is what was up when we bought the place and I figured it would be easy to redo the room. It took FOREVER to scrape that poo poo off down to the drywall and then properly plaster, sand and prime it to be able to paint it. :argh:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Are you putting in your grass this spring for the yard? I'll be curious to see your whole yard when summer rolls around.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Still prepping the yard, we got most of the soil out last year, it's from an old field and stuff started growing in it, but it's been like mud this spring. The guy with the earthmover still has several piles to spread out and then tamp down, then we'll sow and let it grow.

I've been building the support walls meanwhile, here's the start of the one that will go infront of the house:

It needs to be filled in from behind still, waiting for the earthmover guy. He'll also position out some of the really big rocks that weigh as much as cars. The area between the boards on the ground and the rocks will be a patch of grass when it's done, and stairs from rocks somewhere in the middle I think.

And in front of the garage I am working on the other, bigger support wall, same thing here:

There's a big pile of dirt that needs to be put elsewhere too, this area is gonna be left to it's own devces, no grass. Same on the area infront of the house, a few meters will be natural.

Here's a shot from further out, you can see the small amount of rocks next to the driveway, those will be the start of the support wall that will go infront of the garage, it's going to start small and grow taller the whole way:

The picture of the really big rocks on the first page of this thread where saved for this.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 23, 2015

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Just noticed this thread, I really love the rocks in the front yard. I am also excited to see how it comes out when you get some plants and grass growing. I love home building and designing, watching it come together. This is a good thread.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Great thread and a lovely home. I was curious, where did you find the plans for the home? Did the builder have plans already approved or did you find an architect separate from the builder?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah the builder had a number of already made house plans that we got to choose from and customize, then we had to submit these plans to the municipal office where we live for a building permit.

No big updates yet either, waiting for the earthmover guy still, last he was here he said it was still too cold to start working on the yard and such. Would like him to get here soon, need some gravel to fill behind the walls I've made so far for support so I can build higher.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Finally some progress. Started on the wall around the garage now for real now, got the bigger rocks in place, and still more left over:

They're actually pretty tall. I think some of the rocks might have too much incline though. The ones facing my neighbors yard look real good though, just need some smaller rocks to fill in the gaps and it's done.

Also made some lawn chairs:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

In the kind of house I grew up in, the front door was only opened for special events, like big parties, removing dead bodies, bringing in babies. The kitchen door was the real 'main' door.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

More stuff has happened, now that the weather got a bit better, pretty close to being done now.

Some gravel, more of the smaller wall is in place as well as topsoil.

Making this a timg since it's a panorama

Making a step and a little path there that we can cut across when getting the mail

Not much to see elsewhere yet and I really wish I had something but a 35mm fixed lens. Unfortunately the kids broke my kit lens which took wide angle pictures.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Another update, some pics of the yard as it looks now, this is a big panorama picture so timg

Closeup of the front yard, just waiting for the grass to grow in, and the majority of the lawn is still unseeded and it's just got wild grass growing right now, weathers been to wet to prep the earth so far:

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Looking good! I hope that you & your kids are enjoying your first summer there.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

People have been moaning about the wallpaper, exterior, etc... However, the most offensive thing about this home is the wheelie bin on a crate situation.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Looks more like a pallet to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Need somewhere to put it until we've a proper enclosure built for it.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Lovely thread, and I love the wallpapers. Especiall the Moomin ones. But then again, I'm a wallpaper and panel kind of guy. I dislike painted walls. Too much of a hassle, too sterile and minimalistic.

Your house and garage looks really good, and it's been a thrill to watch the progress. Can't wait untill I'm earning enough money to be able to buy a plot of land and build my own house (probably have to wait another 10 years for that, though. Norway can be pretty pricey when it comes to that, at least where I want to live).

It also reminds me of when my parents built our house (well, contractors built it, but my dad travelled up there to help out with it for 6 months), and the feel of moving into a freshly built house that you can call your own is amazing.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread is basically my nightmare, I dislike everything about building, repairing stuff around the house, etc. I never want to own my own house. However, I do find it interesting to read!

BUT: that wallpaper really makes it go from interesting, kind of modern rural house idea to granny cave for me :(

oliwan fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Wallpaper and paneling is what you put up after the original stucco has become damaged beyond repair but you don't feel like paying $$$ for having all your walls refinished.

• Locked thread