Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oliwan posted:

BUT: that wallpaper really makes it go from interesting, kind of modern rural house idea to granny cave for me :(

As you can see here, OP actually has really naff taste in everything. Then again, it's their home so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Show us your taste then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Show us your taste then.

:smugmrgw:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah I figured I'd get a response like that.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Eff that guy you have a lovely home :)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

PopeCrunch posted:

As someone who remarked about the wallpaper before, I agree with you, that house is the tits. I just don't like the kitchen wallpaper, reminds me too much of the old stuff I had to help my grandma put up. But if they like it and it makes them happy, all the more power to them!

piss boner
May 17, 2003

PopeCrunch posted:

True story. Do you love it, that is all that matters.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Grandmas are cool y'all.

Also, casting a concrete slab infront of my garage:

White stuff is insulation to help protect against frost heaving, i'll have to add more later here around the slab, out to 60cm or so, but I'll do that later.

Also making one for the dumpster too so I can build walls and a roof around it, this is also insulated and rebar is coming yet, the insulation might be overkill but I got all this stuff left over from the house building:

Hopefully the concrete truck will be here next week.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Off-topic, but you speak (or write, at least) English better than most native speakers, OP. Have you lived/studied in an English-speaking country?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Chicken Butt posted:

Off-topic, but you speak (or write, at least) English better than most native speakers, OP. Have you lived/studied in an English-speaking country?

From experience, Scandinavian countries grasp of the English language is often as you say, better than a lot of native speakers.

Dunno so much about Finland, but certainly Denmark and Sweden.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

To answer the question, I haven't, just learned in school and from watching a lot of english speaking TV and just generally having use for the language, thanks internet. Also a good thing we don't dub TV or movies like the germans, only subtitle.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Was the borehole drilling subcontracted in by the builders? And if so, do you remember who it was?

The wallpaper isn't my favorite, but it gives you that Österbotten swag.

Also, trevligt midsommar.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks, we had a good one at my parents cottage. The ones who drilled the hole where called KS Geoenergi / Geokonsult from Kronoby/Kruunupyy.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Nice, I know those guys!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think they cheaped out a bit on the borehole drilling, they coulda given me an extra 10 meters and not been so strict :v:

Anyway concrete truck arrived today, here's the result after some.... well I don't know what it's called, I had this big spatula thingie and I smoothed out the surface as best I could.

I ordered more than I thought I'd need, I needed 1.2-3 cubic meters from my calculations so I ordered 1.5, we used all of it and nothing was left over. Still got a lip against the conrete floor in the garage, I think maybe I got concrete that's self-leveling, I may have forgotten to mention I wanted the plate to be at a slight incline. Guess I'll have to try and cut a ramp in the floor or something to make the transition smoother, that'd probably help water run off when it rains too, sometimes in a storm it pools and gets in under the door.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think they cheaped out a bit on the borehole drilling, they coulda given me an extra 10 meters and not been so strict :v:

Anyway concrete truck arrived today, here's the result after some.... well I don't know what it's called, I had this big spatula thingie and I smoothed out the surface as best I could.

I ordered more than I thought I'd need, I needed 1.2-3 cubic meters from my calculations so I ordered 1.5, we used all of it and nothing was left over. Still got a lip against the conrete floor in the garage, I think maybe I got concrete that's self-leveling, I may have forgotten to mention I wanted the plate to be at a slight incline. Guess I'll have to try and cut a ramp in the floor or something to make the transition smoother, that'd probably help water run off when it rains too, sometimes in a storm it pools and gets in under the door.

ACO drain. They used to make one specifically for that but I haven't had anything to do with them for a decade or so.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Also made some lawn chairs:

Where can I find the blueprints for these chairs?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Look up Adirondack chairs. You might not be able to find blueprints for that exact model, but something close.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
I think they are woodgears chairs

Lawn Chairs
Free Plans
Paid Plans ($7)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
In America, they're definitely called Adirondack chairs. Can't speak for Finland, though.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

MrPete posted:

I think they are woodgears chairs

Lawn Chairs
Free Plans
Paid Plans ($7)

Perfect, thank you. I had trouble finding plans that weren't expensive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah they're from woodgears, I bought the plans since I also bought the plans for the box joint jig and dust collector while I was at it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Started laying tiles and it isn't easy. I got it all even andl level, except with a very slight incline away from the house so water would run off, well things are easily disturbed once you start laying down the tiles. Already removed and replaced a dozen and I see some more in this photo that need to come up. The ones that stick up are much more easily fixed, I just beat them down with a rubber mallet.

Concrete's done and the garage exterior trim is up:

Lawn is growing quickly, mowed it twice since this picture:

Got a lawnmower too:

Got a hedgehog too, of course:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love hedgehogs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I'm astonished you can get away with a wood house in such cold weather. In the UK everything is made of red brick. I've never seen a house not made of stone or brick in real life.

Also intensely jealous of your floor heating/cooling rather than my non-functional radiators.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd imagine wood is a better insulator than stone or brick (I'm sure someone who actually knows can tell me I'm wrong :mrgw:) but that's really moot since there's insulation under/between the wood. And, of course, the wood itself doesn't give a poo poo about the temperature and probably handles fluctuations a lot better than brick.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

OwlFancier posted:

I admit I'm astonished you can get away with a wood house in such cold weather. In the UK everything is made of red brick. I've never seen a house not made of stone or brick in real life.

Also intensely jealous of your floor heating/cooling rather than my non-functional radiators.

The UK doesn't really get that cold. Insulation is really the key and the materials get improved constantly.
That said where I live a lot of people prefer brick (with insulation on the inside of the wall) because its longer lasting and stands up better to the insane thunderstorms that roll through in the summer.

For the gravel drive area, how hard is that to maintain? Does it get messed up easily in the winter/summer transition?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I imagine Finland has quite a lot of wood to go 'round, so it makes sense that wood houses would be common.

JerryCotton posted:

I'd imagine wood is a better insulator than stone or brick

Actually :eng101: brick or stone, having more density than most builder-grade wood, is a pretty good thermal regulator - it takes longer to heat up or cool down which can help to stabilize temperatures on the inside of a house. However a well-insulated wood frame wall can outdo a non-insulated brick one because insulation doesn't transfer the heat like brick does... a brick wall in the sun all day will build up a pretty good thermal mass and then bleed it out to any cooler materials around it, which is fantastic if you want warmer soil for the plants in your brick-lined garden bed but not so great if you want your uninsulated brick-walled, non-air-conditioned house to stay cool on summer nights.

So basically as Uncle Jam said insulation is the key. An insulated house is a happy house.

Edit: also wood expands/contracts more than brick/stone do during extreme temperature swings, but moisture is the real killer of both.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 1, 2015

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm astonished that you think wooden houses are unsuited to cold weather. If that were the case, why would wooden houses be so common in areas colder than the British Isles? As far as I know, this idea that wooden houses are cold is a strange urban myth unique to the UK.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 2, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

I'm astonished that you think wooden houses are unsuited to cold weather. If that were the case, why would wooden houses be so common in areas colder than the British Isles? As far as I know, this idea that wooden houses are cold is a strange urban myth unique to the UK.

*shrug* mostly because there's the idea that heavier = better insulated, though given brick has higher thermal conductivity than wood as evidenced by it being cold to the touch, it's fairly logical that wood would work fine if not better.

As most of what we have to deal with is rain I guess that might be why everything's brick over here.

As before I really wish we could have that floor heating. I don't think anyone builds houses with anything except a gas boiler and radiators over here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think the thermal mass of bricks would work against it when it gets cold for long times (like here it can be -20 -30 at its coldest) unless it was insulated from the outside by something that has more insulative properties, like wood. It works if it gets warm during the days, but it doesn't even do that here. Last december we clocked 6 hours of sunlight, yes for the whole month.

That's the case with the concrete foundation, loads of insulation and in the ground, and then more insulation on the inside and another slab that becomes the inside floor is then floating on insulation and surrounded by it on all sides. Because if it gets contact with the outside it's gonna be hell in winter even with heating.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the thermal mass of bricks would work against it when it gets cold for long times (like here it can be -20 -30 at its coldest) unless it was insulated from the outside by something that has more insulative properties, like wood. It works if it gets warm during the days, but it doesn't even do that here. Last december we clocked 6 hours of sunlight, yes for the whole month.

That's the case with the concrete foundation, loads of insulation and in the ground, and then more insulation on the inside and another slab that becomes the inside floor is then floating on insulation and surrounded by it on all sides. Because if it gets contact with the outside it's gonna be hell in winter even with heating.

That was another oddity, your house seems to be slightly raised off the ground? We don't do that here, at least not as much, there's about 10/15cm between the floor and the ground and I think that's mostly to keep surface water getting in. The basic floor is usually very cold.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Probably because of the wooden construction. Moisture, rain and rot are all worst near the ground, so the higher you can place the wooden part, the better. Also helps to have a nice "breathy" space under the rainscreen facade to help air circulate behind the paneling and not trap moisture.

Also why we got a 1m gravel zone around the house and no flower beds directly against it, those kinds of arrangements are harder on the paneling, as my parents can tell me, the places where they got flowers growing against the house are much worse off.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

OwlFancier posted:

That was another oddity, your house seems to be slightly raised off the ground? We don't do that here, at least not as much, there's about 10/15cm between the floor and the ground and I think that's mostly to keep surface water getting in. The basic floor is usually very cold.

The other way to prevent rot is to pour a foundation but that just ends up being a heat soak and makes everything colder by bringing the coldness up from the underground. Deep slabs is a popular thing in the desert and the floor will be cold to the touch even if its 40C outside.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Here's an updated panoramic view of the yard now that the grass has had time to grow in a bit:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/686/20415763429_137f5bd9b5_k.jpg

Also added gutters and downspouts to the garage.

Tiles laid:

And here I am sitting on one of the big rocks in the back yard

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Looks beautiful.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Nice cat.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
It was a been unclear how much of the land had bedrock near the surface and if all of it was removed down to a depth of approx 2m and filled with gravel or if it was only partially removed in key locations?
I'm asking because I'm wondering how drainage works around bedrock. Does it drain anything at all through cracks and such or is it more or less impenetrable and you therefore have to worry about creating "bathtub" situations if you remove a bunch in the middle of mass of rock without making channels or something like that?

Also what about drainage pits/wells, are they useless in a bedrock situation?

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 21, 2015

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The bedrock went up and down and is deeper and shallower in areas. Around the house there was one area that would have become a problem and also prevented us from laying down the drainage pipes that lead water from the house all the way off the property. Now that those parts where blasted away, there's no underground wall that stops water flow and also underground french drains helping to drain water away.

We use drainage wells around the house and they're not useless since we blasted away the high spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also why we got a 1m gravel zone around the house and no flower beds directly against it, those kinds of arrangements are harder on the paneling, as my parents can tell me, the places where they got flowers growing against the house are much worse off.

Good to know! We're building a wood house in a humid area next year. Houses here are usually elevated 50cm+ to allow for moisture to escape, and give some wiggle room during earthquakes :japan:

• Locked thread