Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Just a Fish posted:

Pretty much yeah, can't remember any new houses where we would've installed radiators. Floor heating is just a lot more energy efficient since you dont need to keep the temperature as high to feel warm and basically the only way to go if you ever want to take advantage of geothermal heating

There's the thing about radiators, that their placement tends to be really inefficient. Floor heating is much better at distributing heat equally throughout rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

No reason to not insulate the garage when I can get most of it for free. That will probably help keep the room I do want insulated to keep its heat better.

In that case, double check that you got enough ventilation. Otherwise you might run into some problems with moisture.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Pro-tier stove use: when it's hot and muggy in the summer, get a small fire going for a while. It will suck some of the moisture out of the air inside.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

While getting the tiles for your sauna and kitchen, get a few extra ones and stash them in the garage or something. If at some point you want to replace a broken tile or whatever, it's totally worth it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

On the other hand, a friend showed me pictures of how his friend's apartment looked after a kitchen renovation. The stove was installed off-center from the oven, half the tilework had silicone foam instead of mortar (you could sort of tell from the seams because the foam was brown as opposed to white) and the stovetop ventilation unit was screwed to the wall but wasn't hooked up to any ventilation ducts.

My dad builds houses and he keeps going on and on about how bad the quality of work is today. If you find a contractor who does the job themselves, it's probably going to be fine, but sub-contractors and sub-sub-contractors do the shittiest quality of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Valiantman posted:

Some grad student should really do qualitative research on this. This always happens and I can't figure out why.

I've seen a shitload of houses with a grand entrance no one ever used. I think it must be a bourgeois thing.

• Locked thread