Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Who bled onto your wall there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Really jelly about your shower. Wish more houses around here had a drain in the boots room, a few do but it would really save a mess.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I was totally on board with this until that wallpaper. I have scraped enough wallpaper to last a thousand lifetimes, never will I put that up.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

His Divine Shadow posted:

Are you against wallpaper in general or just the specific pattern we chose?

Just against wallpaper in general. Getting it off is a pain in the rear end. The worst was some 60 year old stuff which was like grass fiber woven tightly and the painted over a few times. Also working with the steamer on 105 degree days at 80% is horrible. The hot water running down your outstreched arms down your shirt burning your arm pits gently caress.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
We call those rooms utility rooms, though all of the newer houses I've been in the US don't really have them anymore.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

OwlFancier posted:

I admit I'm astonished you can get away with a wood house in such cold weather. In the UK everything is made of red brick. I've never seen a house not made of stone or brick in real life.

Also intensely jealous of your floor heating/cooling rather than my non-functional radiators.

The UK doesn't really get that cold. Insulation is really the key and the materials get improved constantly.
That said where I live a lot of people prefer brick (with insulation on the inside of the wall) because its longer lasting and stands up better to the insane thunderstorms that roll through in the summer.

For the gravel drive area, how hard is that to maintain? Does it get messed up easily in the winter/summer transition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

OwlFancier posted:

That was another oddity, your house seems to be slightly raised off the ground? We don't do that here, at least not as much, there's about 10/15cm between the floor and the ground and I think that's mostly to keep surface water getting in. The basic floor is usually very cold.

The other way to prevent rot is to pour a foundation but that just ends up being a heat soak and makes everything colder by bringing the coldness up from the underground. Deep slabs is a popular thing in the desert and the floor will be cold to the touch even if its 40C outside.

• Locked thread