Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
So, what is Football Manager?

Football Manager is the most fun spreadsheet in the world. Every year hundreds of goons and millions of normal people register up to 1,972 hours on the game! Yes. That's my tally for last year. Down from 2889 in FM11 and 2306 in FM12. I'm recovering...

It started off as Championship Manager, a game made by the Collyer brothers in their bedroom in the early 90s. Championship Manager grew into the biggest management series in the world, and Sports Interactive were formed with the brothers at the helm.

SI and their publishers, Eidos, had a falling out. This resulted in Eidos taking and ruining the Championship Manager name while SI launched Football Manager 2005 under SEGA. A couple of years later SEGA bought the company out all together, making them an in house studio. They still have a huge amount of independence though. SEGA are smart enough to want the profits, but not to mess with the team making them.

You don't get to play football. The graphics are pretty basic. The match engine is pretty terrible. It's still a bajillion miles ahead of any other management sim out there though!

What's new to FM14?

Well, there are over 1000 new features! Unfortunately most of them are "lengthened the default main screen pane 3 pixels". The ones that really matter are:
Cloud Saves. This is the best thing ever. Although I'm still keeping my dropbox account as my save location, just in case.
Live transfer negotiations. Actually talk to other clubs rather than relying on faxed offers.
New player roles. Soon we'll all be talking about Registas and Baristas the same as we do Trequiestas.
Cross play. Play the same save on FM14 and your PS Vita! Well, as long as you play the lame classic mode.

user help:

Question: [insert question]
Solution: It's probably your tactics.
Question: [insert question] but it's definitely not my tactics.
Solution: It's your team talks then.

Release Date: 31st October. The BETA is out now if you buy on Steam, Greenman Gaming or one of several other partner sites.
The BETA is basically the release, just without the release day patch that fixes any last second problems. So yeah, we're all starting our long term saves now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's a sad state of affairs when Football Manager is literally less autistic than FIFA.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Is it too early to ask about namefixes and such?

edit: forgot to delete the .lnc files, ugh

euroboy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 16, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Oh crap. Don't forget to remove the fake.edt and team holland.edt files. Someone has to restart his new save. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Terrible football managers itt

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

sassassin posted:

Terrible football managers itt

Don't mock pissflaps

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Masonity posted:

Well, there are over 1000 new features!

It's pretty much this poo poo:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mandalay posted:

It's pretty much this poo poo:

It's at least 4 years better than that!

I'm actually quite happy with the new instant transfer negotiations to be fair.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Masonity posted:

It's at least 4 years better than that!

I'm actually quite happy with the new instant transfer negotiations to be fair.

How do they work? My personal policy is to not play FM until the first patch comes out, so I'm not touching that beta.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mandalay posted:

How do they work? My personal policy is to not play FM until the first patch comes out, so I'm not touching that beta.

The same as before, only instead of "submit offer" there's also "suggest terms" which acts the same as submit offer, only with an instant reply on the same screen. You can haggle up and down in real time the same as with a contract negotiation.

Some clubs will say "no. Submit a bid." though.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I gave in and bought this. I'm curious how people are finding the demo.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

euroboy posted:

Is it too early to ask about namefixes and such?

edit: forgot to delete the .lnc files, ugh

Much of this is going to come from the Steam Workshop, right? I wonder if Steam will have issues with hosting facepacks and stuff on their servers.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Also, what are the playable teams for the demo?

e: VVV oh that's weird, previous versions always limited it to a few teams. Good to know.

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 16, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

The beta is less a demo, more the game but without launch day patch, and only available up to November 4th after which point you have to register a full copy. Every team is available, and you can play as far into the game as you like. I believe online mode isn't live, but that's about it.

edit: And I'm finding it a lot like 13, just a bit more streamlined. Haven't managed a game yet, as I don't do friendlies.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I honestly have so much autism that the first thing I'm going to do is holiday for a couple years and see how the game world develops.

Oh, Football Manager :blush:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Masonity posted:

The beta is less a demo, more the game but without launch day patch, and only available up to November 4th after which point you have to register a full copy.

But you can't play the beta without having pre-purchased a full copy :confused:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Mandalay posted:

But you can't play the beta without having pre-purchased a full copy :confused:

Some places might be giving the beta out with physical copies I guess, so it's to make sure you don't return or sell on the physical?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

IIRC you have to download the full version a few days after its released or the "beta" will stop working.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

euroboy posted:

IIRC you have to download the full version a few days after its released or the "beta" will stop working.

Except Steam just does that automatically anyway, as long as you are in online mode.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Upgraded my computer about a month ago so starting up a game with every league I can name a team or player in.

Time to test this new processor out. Ten whole leagues!!!!

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Masonity posted:

Some places might be giving the beta out with physical copies I guess, so it's to make sure you don't return or sell on the physical?

It's a grace period so that savages who still get games shipped on disc don't enter withdrawal.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The new match engine is hideous

edit: never mind, it's just the director cam that's bad

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 16, 2013

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I think the new 3d engine (tweaks) makes players look more like actual people, which is nice.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
The thing that bugged me the most in last year's match engine was the really passive tackling by defenders and/or incredible dribbling by attackers, it was like watching Messi in every match. Anyone with the beta see any difference, or indeed any difference in the match engine at all?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Two games in and I'm already peak Arsenal. 10 goals scored, 3 conceded, 6 out injured playing 3 skill midgets behind a target man. The engine looks great too, I've only seen a few games but I'm yet to see anything daft.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
"Seemed deep in thought". I've got a couple of loving philosophers in this team...

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

joe football posted:

any difference in the match engine at all?

To add to this question, I seem to remember reading that matches were meant to be a bit more physical in this iteration, and not so much tiki-taka. Any evidence of that?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Masonity posted:

The beta is less a demo, more the game but without launch day patch, and only available up to November 4th after which point you have to register a full copy. Every team is available, and you can play as far into the game as you like. I believe online mode isn't live, but that's about it.

edit: And I'm finding it a lot like 13, just a bit more streamlined. Haven't managed a game yet, as I don't do friendlies.

But you can carry over your beta save into the full version right?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love how you can "Apply Advice" now when your assistant manager says poo poo like "We should close down x player".

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Wirth1000 posted:

But you can carry over your beta save into the full version right?

Yes.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
lol windowed mode is greyed out for me for reasons and im already regretting my purchase, good job miles

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Babby Thatcher posted:

lol windowed mode is greyed out for me for reasons and im already regretting my purchase, good job miles

Your resolution is probably below the minimum windowed resolution, which'll be the minimum overall plus some extra for the bar at the top and the tray at the bottom.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Masonity posted:

Your resolution is probably below the minimum windowed resolution, which'll be the minimum overall plus some extra for the bar at the top and the tray at the bottom.

cool, nobody plays sports management games on laptops anyway :thumbsup:

SI's FAQ says it will be in the retail game on some non-specific future date, probably code for 'FM2015'

lol its now working, 1.4GB patches a fortnight before release are extremely my poo poo

Babby Thatcher fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 17, 2013

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Looks like Flat four, DM C (Right), M C (Left), AML, AMC, AMR, ST is still a very powerful setup.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

SirFozzie posted:

Looks like Flat four, DM C (Right), M C (Left), AML, AMC, AMR, ST is still a very powerful setup.

I've never tried an asymmetrical formation. What player roles do you use?

Sourpuss
Mar 18, 2007

Chomb Chomb Chomb
In FM 12 and 13 I continually got .xml errors and bluescreens. I cant wait to see if this year is the same!

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

A few notes, I only played for an hour or so yesterday. It suddenly crashed with some strange .xml error message out a nowhere.

Anyway:

- Match team talks are horrible. "Deep in thought" until I say something that makes them go mad. Ugh. Same with team meetings.
- The widgets in the match engine keep moving around and changing to the other team. FM13 had the same bug. Its very annoying!
- My trusted 4-3-3 doesnt seem to work as it has before. Defence tactics in general seems to have changed or something?
- The new transfer/contract negotiation system kinda seems alright
- I really dont want to deal with FFP
- First impression is that the new UI is pretty nice
- They added some new questions to the press conference bit, so now I have to read them and not click the same buttons every time as I did in the previous games.

Otherwise... it's still FM. I need the editor though so I can update the promotions and relegations in the norwegian leagues for 2014, but I guess it's not out yet? The "downloads" button in the main menu doesnt respond when I click it.

euroboy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 17, 2013

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Sourpuss posted:

In FM 12 and 13 I continually got .xml errors and bluescreens.

Masonity posted:

Solution: It's probably your tactics.

Will buy this after the January patch as per usual

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

euroboy posted:

Otherwise... it's still FM. I need the editor though so I can update the promotions and relegations in the norwegian leagues for 2014, but I guess it's not out yet? The "downloads" button in the main menu doesnt respond when I click it.
No, it wont be out until the full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pre-season team meeting and I tell the lads we're expected to finish in the top half. Some lads agree, some think we should be aiming higher, some lower. Then I have to say whether that was the response I was looking for or not...

Ended pissing off fifteen players. This is why I don't use team meetings.

euroboy posted:

- The widgets in the match engine keep moving around and changing to the other team. FM13 had the same bug. Its very annoying!

Never had that in 13. Happening here though.

SirFozzie posted:

This always pushed my defensive line way too deep with not enough bodies in midfield in 13. How good is your team?

• Locked thread