Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Where do you get that graph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like that I can assign throw in taker based on position, but wish I could do the same for corners.

I can't use either of my wingers as my short option because they might be the ones taking it, and I need the short option to chase down crosses that hit the first man.

Same with the lurker and attack from deep (who stays open for a long shot if you do end up taking it short pro tip).

It'd help if my 3 best wingers weren't all equally capable on either wing and all decent set piece takers.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
I read a couple of reviews promising that the human element has returned to the game and that the match engine was flawless, so gave it a go and the match engine is set so my defenders play like it's Sunday league and they got really really drunk on Saturday night and went to bed at 5am and the human element seems to be more annoying questions that I have to select the same answer over and over again to deliver exactly the same reaction from my players/board/press.

Why the gently caress is it getting 9s and 4.5/5 in reviews?

Also, how loving complicated can they make the game? It's like every year they add another news item or series of drop downs to click through before every game just to piss me off.

*EDIT*

Keepers kicking it long to an opposition striker who runs 50 yards, cuts through your defence and slips is past the keeper no matter how many times you tell them to distribute locally will forever be my bane of FM.

Bacon of the Sea fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 1, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Michu's had his head turned by a derisory bid from some shithouse club and now wants his generous £40k/week wage increased to £90k.

He doesn't realise that he's loving awful and only scores tap ins. Anything more than 10 yards out he'll clear the crossbar without fail. If i got a decent offer he'd be out the door.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
I know you get some crazy formations in the lower leagues sometimes, but, uh....

A 7-2-1? That's new to me.

The 5-2-3 is slowly starting to come together after enough tweaking. Still suffering some defensive issues but that's at least partly down to some lovely players at this point.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pretty sick of hitting the bar 3+ times a game and getting that stupid question from the journos every week.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
The match engine needs to be completely replaced before I buy another version, I think.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Bea Nanner posted:

The match engine needs to be completely replaced before I buy another version, I think.

See you in 2025!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Iridium posted:

I know you get some crazy formations in the lower leagues sometimes, but, uh....

A 7-2-1? That's new to me.

That's not, it's a 3-4-2-1 which is a thing, not a common thing, but it's a thing.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!
I have a pretty dumb question. In FM13 when you add a note to a player you get a small little yellow box beside the players name. This is great if you signed a lot of youth players and will let you differentiate between the players you signed and the youth players from your academy.
How do I do this in FM14? When I add note to a player in FM14, there's no little yellow box anymore.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Are near or far post corners working better for people this year?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mickolution posted:

Are near or far post corners working better for people this year?

Near post corners are broken, but the ai is better at abusing them than me so far.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I'm getting a ridiculous amount of goals from corners and free kicks without having touched any of the related tactics. Get Tom Cairney if you want to turn set pieces into goals, I guess.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
So have I just been signing incredibly poo poo defenders or is anybody else having issues with the defence as well?

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm having issues with tactics familiarity. I've been using the same formation since the preseason, yet by mid-November I still haven't reached "fluid" with it.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Cart Cam posted:

So have I just been signing incredibly poo poo defenders or is anybody else having issues with the defence as well?

I've mainly been playing in the lower leagues, so I'm not sure how much of it is terrible players and how much is the new tactics system.

The defending has been absolutely terrible so far though, until I started messing with the Opposition instructions prior to the game and setting up individual marking assignments. After doing that, the players stopped getting pulled out of position as much and the defending generally improved.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Of all the new features this might be my favourite

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012
I laughed way too much at that ^
Fm will never change and will be broken until march.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MrKonarski posted:

I laughed way too much at that ^
Fm will never change and will be broken until march.

What? You mean Feature #72,844 - Jedi Mind-tricks?

Spiffeh
Dec 24, 2005

:v:
Am I missing something here... Why are clubs only offering me ridiculously low offers for my players? Yeah sure your offer of £77k for Diame is perfectly reasonable D:

edit: nm I was still using the beta version like an idiot

Spiffeh fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 3, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Demotivated half my team by telling them to enjoy themselves at Garry Monk's testimonial against Fiorentina

Then the man himself scored off a corner

No riot :(

edit: I won 5-2 bonkers game Mario Gomez scored a belter

sassassin fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 3, 2013

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So is this worth getting now or should I wait for some patches?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Wait for patches.

PreMoo
Sep 23, 2010
If you can wait, steam is usually really good with sales.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten the last few FMs for a few bucks, less than 10 for sure.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

Holy poo poo, Huw Jenkins Bugs Bunnied you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Protip: Take the time to set tight marking instructions for all opposing strikers or every shithouse lower league striker will be allowed free runs at your keeper, who obviously won't bother covering his near post.

If a team you're destroying suddenly turns it on they've almost certainly just brought on a new striker you don't have instructions for.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

sassassin posted:

So I guess you used the mind tricks to give Michu a better contract? I'll definitely try to exploit this one if I ever come across it :cool:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
FM14 is offensively broken then? I'm getting the itch for more FM and I don't know whether or not to pick up FM14 or keep on with my FM12 Lewes game where I'm bashing my head against the brick wall of trying to break the top 4 with an average attendance of 15,000 and a sponsorship income 2% of Man United's.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Walton Simons posted:

FM14 is offensively broken then? I'm getting the itch for more FM and I don't know whether or not to pick up FM14 or keep on with my FM12 Lewes game where I'm bashing my head against the brick wall of trying to break the top 4 with an average attendance of 15,000 and a sponsorship income 2% of Man United's.

It's not unplayable by any stretch. The ui bugs have mostly been ironed out (20 seconds to load a backroom meeting etc.)

But the match engine has become worse with every update so far (okay->super high defender ratings->defenders can't defend for poo poo). Corners are insanely broken.

If you skipped 13 the new features should keep things entertaining enough.

Lost to West Ham in the cup last night. Dominating them, scored early goal, then they came back into the game. Equalised in 2nd half after Carroll chipped Costil from miles out, he made a fantastic save diving backwards, but Big Andy knocked in a rebound while my defence watched. They fouled all of my players constantly, no bookings. In ET I have 11 mid-60% players getting worked by an injured Mark Noble and his more than half-dead companions. They score late winner.

'Allardyce's boys never looked like losing this'. I quit like a baby. Replayed.

Dominating them, scored early goal, then they came back into the game. Equalised in 2nd half after Carroll chipped Costil from miles out, he made a fantastic save onto the crossbar, but Big Andy knocked in a rebound while my defence watched. They fouled all of my players constantly, no bookings. In ET I have 11 mid-60% players getting worked by an injured Kevin Nolan and his more than half-dead companions. They score late winner after Costil catches a cross and glides out of the area. Red card, they score from a free kick and tear my prospect winger's hamstring.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I might stick it out with Lewes for another season in that case. Or leave the club I've been at for 24 years for one of the big boys

Or say gently caress it and just get stuck into a new globetrotting save as I really like the amount of slog that seems to have been taken out compared to FM12. :ohdear:

e: Decided to get stuck into FM12 again and was rewarded with a bug I've never seen before!

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Had a chuckle at one of the changes in the latest update:

Misc
- Stopped Paul Robinson being bitten by his pet dog

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ninpo posted:

Had a chuckle at one of the changes in the latest update:

Misc
- Stopped Paul Robinson being bitten by his pet dog

Only in Football Manager.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

The "buy now" button for players you've signed on a pre-contracts is brilliant.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Wirth1000 posted:

Wait for patches.

Always, always wait for patches.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

FM12 had the best match engine. FM13 (and I guess FM14) had too much tweaking for the sake of it or they added some retarded new parameters.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Almost a full season played in norway and I'm pretty sure at least half of the goals against have come from set pieces, loving hell its annoying.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euroboy posted:

Almost a full season played in norway and I'm pretty sure at least half of the goals against have come from set pieces, loving hell its annoying.

It's a great anti-football simulator right now.

2nd in the Prem after 15 games playing a deep, narrow, low tempo 4-4-1-1. Focus on attacking set pieces every game.

Norwich are 1st.

edit: norwich who just kicked the poo poo out of my players and scored an 80th minute winner Hughton's a genius

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 5, 2013

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Just added a beta version of my American Premier League file to Steam Workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192516075

Description:

This is a first version of the American Premier League file: (make sure to start in January 2013 if you want to start as an American Team:

Features:

A 20 team American Premier League (featuring 19 MLS clubs, and a fictional New York City FC, based on the Expansion team coming to MLS in 2015)

A 20 team American First Division, featuring 20 of the 21 USL Pro and NASL teams (Phoenix FC dropped to the 2nd division, as they were denied a license to compete in USL Pro next year)

A 24 team American Second Division, featuring 24 lower American Divsion teams.

A 64 team US Open Cup.

In the APL, there's guaranteed TV money and prize money, in the first and second division, it's all based on wins and losses (you receive a guaranteed amount even if you lose, but you earn more if you win)

Click "Add players to playable teams" when starting a game.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 6, 2013

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Playing in norway (or any equivalent "smaller" league probably) seems to be worse than ever this time. Player values and transfers are hosed up. My best player is only worth £40k and the values seems to be extremely low even at the biggest clubs. This means all sorts of clubs will offer you very low bids (most of time they will want your players for free, or just half of the value) and players will react as normal when you turn down a bid from a bigger club. It's terribly unbalanced.

Obviously this means I can cherry pick decent players from smaller or similar reputation clubs without paying anything most of the time, but when my best player gets upset because I turned down a £5k bid from a league two side in england the game seems horribly unbalanced, especially since the wage demands seems to be increasing. The players are also super sensitive to the asking price. If I crank it up they will become unhappy much faster than before. Another new feature is that players react in a bigger degree to the players you sell and buy, but it seems to be more focused on the players you sell.

Example: I sold my starting goalkeeper, two of my players complained about it and I promised that I would sign replacements to strengthen to team. I signed a new goalkeeper and a defender literally the day after they complained but they're still unhappy because theyre waiting to new players and both of them ended up handing in transfer requests at the end of the window because of it.

Haven't played enough in the bigger leagues to see if there's a similar change in the transfer system there, but it certainly makes playing in norway even less enjoyable. It's always been a pain playing there because of the unbalanced reputation system combined with the european transfer window in the norwegian mid season.

This always results in breaking any successful team you have because half of your squad wants to leave for bigger clubs in july and august and you need to make massive changes to the squad in mid season, and when we know can't even get decent transfer fees to bring in more money it's going to make it even harder.

I like some of the new player interaction though, it makes a bit more sense even though it's a bit much micro management. But the training system can gently caress off. Why can't I delegate everything to my assistant? My 35 year old goalkeeper complains about having too little to day in training, but the only way to give him more stuff to do is to make him learn new moves but the coaches refuse to do it because he's too old.

The media stuff is terrible, I don't give gently caress about mind games. There's too much stuff to click and read, and I can't trust my assistant to say stuff that won't upset the players.

I hoped this would be the year they would make smaller nations better but it seems they only made it worse, which is very disappointing. I'll keep on playing though, the good thing about playing in norway is that it goes much faster since there's only 30 games + one cup competition.

euroboy fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Barcelona offered me a non-negotiable final offer of £3.6m for Jordi Amat

Four clubs got in a bidding war that went up to £1.1m for Ki Sung Yeung

On the bright side I sold Alexandru Maxim (bought for £9m including a bunch of unfulfilled clauses) to Southampton for £10m cash up front. Replaced him with Bonaventura for £6m and Lodeiro on a free.

29 points from 18 games and I'm 8th. drat this competitive league.

• Locked thread