Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Edited out since this isn't a recommendations thread. Moved my question here.

But while I'm here: The Dell Venue Pro 8 is running a new Intel Atom line. My old netbook was useless/worthless within 3 years and currently struggles to run even Lubuntu. Is this something to look forward to with the new Quad-Core atoms or is their architecture a lot better?

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

keyframe posted:

Did you receive it already? I can't tell from the way you worded your post.

If you got the pen please test out sketchbook pro (there is a 30 day trial) and let us know if the brush lags when sketching and how it feels in general.

Haven't received yet, ordered online and opted for the 64GB version which pushed the ship date to 11/4.

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Edited out since this isn't a recommendations thread. Moved my question here.

But while I'm here: The Dell Venue Pro 8 is running a new Intel Atom line. My old netbook was useless/worthless within 3 years and currently struggles to run even Lubuntu. Is this something to look forward to with the new Quad-Core atoms or is their architecture a lot better?

It seems these Atoms are significantly faster than the old Atoms. There are a lot of reviews of Bay Trail out there, in many of the benchmarks they are competing with AMD's A series (I think the A4) and doing well. For the price though, I wouldn't really expect 3 years out of them .. but to me thats more in line with the very limited RAM specs I am seeing from most of these devices.

Edit : Well, apparently Dell just doesn't want my business. The past four orders I have placed with them have resulted in some error and my order never completing. I get on with Dell support and I am told I need to call in this 800 number they give me to place the order. So done with this stupidity. Won't be getting that tablet.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 22, 2013

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Goons preordering Surface Pro 2s: have you found your machine was backordered? I'm told to expect mine early November.

Nehefer
Aug 9, 2008
Where did you order from? Mine shipped today and should get here later in the day or tomorrow.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Also, best buy has the surface pro 2 in stock today.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

935 posted:

Is there anything stopping me from installing Visual Studio or Eclipse? Would these IDEs work just the same as on any other desktop computer?
While I can't comment with first hand knowledge, in the past three months I've watched two presentations from a guy who did his demos with Visual Studio from his Pro. They seemed to work fine enough.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Ended up ordering a SP2. Hoping it gets shipped by tomorrow and delivered before Friday. Went with the 128GB/4GB because I didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars more for something I may or not need. As long as it doesn't have incredibly awful battery or overheating I think I'll be pretty happy with my purchase.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Got my Surface Pro 2 yesterday at Midnight from the launch party and got a type cover 2 as well. So here are my thoughts after one day.

Good:
-Battery seems pretty decent. I used it for about 5 hours, surfing the web, ETC. Still showed 2 hours left.
-Windows 8 is 10x better with a touchscreen than with a mouse. Seems to be running smooth. Boots up very quickly.
-Speakers are pretty loud for a device this size.
-Digitizer Pen is very nice.
-Screen seems to be great quality.
- Definitely feels like a top notch product. Doesn't feel cheap or flimsy. Not sure if I'd want to drop it or anything though.

Bad:
-Pen attached to the magnetic battery slot. Got loose when I put it in my bag.
-Type Cover 2 doesn't have actual keys for the mouse buttons.
-Slightly heavy to hold in one hand in tablet mode.
-Only one USB port.
-Gets lukewarm. Not uncomfortable though.

Was it worth one grand? Still not sure yet. For what I wanted to use it for, I probably could have saved a bit of cash and gotten a bay trail atom windows 8.1 tablet. Although I'm going to go buy Civ 5 and I might change my mind after installing it.

E: As cool at the side by side window pinning and everything is, I can't really see myself using it, ever. Especially not on a 10.6 screen. Unless it's something like Skype or instant messaging.

Zarfol fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 23, 2013

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

935 posted:

Is there anything stopping me from installing Visual Studio or Eclipse? Would these IDEs work just the same as on any other desktop computer?

I'm on the VB/C# language team at Microsoft. I've been using my SurfacePro (1, not 2) as my sole development machine for the past 5 months, using VS throughout. I love it.

Some of my colleagues don't understand how I can code on such a small screen, when they're using two or three giant monitors side-by-side. I guess I like to focus on just one single thing at a time. Oh, I'm also mostly happy using the Type Cover, but you have to hold down Fn to get the function keys (e.g. Fn+F5=debug, Fn+F12=goto-defn).

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Zarfol posted:

Got my Surface Pro 2 yesterday at Midnight from the launch party and got a type cover 2 as well. So here are my thoughts after one day.

Good:
-Battery seems pretty decent. I used it for about 5 hours, surfing the web, ETC. Still showed 2 hours left.
-Windows 8 is 10x better with a touchscreen than with a mouse. Seems to be running smooth. Boots up very quickly.
-Speakers are pretty loud for a device this size.
-Digitizer Pen is very nice.
-Screen seems to be great quality.
- Definitely feels like a top notch product. Doesn't feel cheap or flimsy. Not sure if I'd want to drop it or anything though.

Bad:
-Pen attached to the magnetic battery slot. Got loose when I put it in my bag.
-Type Cover 2 doesn't have actual keys for the mouse buttons.
-Slightly heavy to hold in one hand in tablet mode.
-Only one USB port.
-Gets lukewarm. Not uncomfortable though.

Was it worth one grand? Still not sure yet. For what I wanted to use it for, I probably could have saved a bit of cash and gotten a bay trail atom windows 8.1 tablet. Although I'm going to go buy Civ 5 and I might change my mind after installing it.

E: As cool at the side by side window pinning and everything is, I can't really see myself using it, ever. Especially not on a 10.6 screen. Unless it's something like Skype or instant messaging.
Yeah, I think I'd feel the same way--I am all about Windows 8 tablets with decent battery life, I want one way more than any other option, but I don't need a lot of horsepower. I wish there was a Bay Trail Surface, but I guess that would make the Surface 2 completely unattractive. I am looking at the Asus T100 though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why wont someone make a goddamn 13" tablet that is light! I seriously think a 10-11" is just under the ideal power user tablet size. :/

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nehefer posted:

Where did you order from? Mine shipped today and should get here later in the day or tomorrow.

Best Buy. I went for the 256 Gb model, because if anything made a difference I figured the 8 Gigs would.

That said, I got an email from Best Buy claiming my Surface shipped late this morning, but I won't be able to track the shipping until tomorrow when it hopefully arrives anyways.

I'm considering skipping out on the keyboard, because isn't the power charging one not supposed to arrive until 2014?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Bell_ posted:

Best Buy. I went for the 256 Gb model, because if anything made a difference I figured the 8 Gigs would.

That said, I got an email from Best Buy claiming my Surface shipped late this morning, but I won't be able to track the shipping until tomorrow when it hopefully arrives anyways.

I'm considering skipping out on the keyboard, because isn't the power charging one not supposed to arrive until 2014?

Yes, but it will be heavier and thicker than the current type cover. So depends on how much you value battery life VS weight and what you plan on using it for. SP2 is pretty decent battery life already.

We might see some early power cover, who knows? The dock said it'd be delayed until early 2014, and some stores received very small shipments on launch day.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have a terrible usage case for a Windows 8 tablet: I really want to load up my old-rear end copies of Civilization II, Baldur's Gate, and other classics. I guess it would be cool to edit spreadsheets and papers and poo poo on it too. Will one of these $300 8" tablets do the trick?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a terrible usage case for a Windows 8 tablet: I really want to load up my old-rear end copies of Civilization II, Baldur's Gate, and other classics. I guess it would be cool to edit spreadsheets and papers and poo poo on it too. Will one of these $300 8" tablets do the trick?
They should be able to handle those games, but 8" is proabbly too small to actually enjoy the experience (especially with something text heavy like Baldur's Gate). Might be worth looking into the 10-11" ones, though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What's the price point on the 10" ones, with and without active digitizers? I did some research on my own and couldn't find anything conclusive. Am I just bad at Googling?

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

waffle posted:

They should be able to handle those games, but 8" is proabbly too small to actually enjoy the experience (especially with something text heavy like Baldur's Gate). Might be worth looking into the 10-11" ones, though.

I have a Clover Trail tablet (Thinkpad Tablet 2), and that thing played KOTOR2, so the new ones should handle it fine. Only problem is 4:3 display scaling on such the 10 inch screens, but text was readable.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What are my options for something in the 10"+ range then that aren't $texas and not horrible?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

IuniusBrutus posted:

What are my options for something in the 10"+ range then that aren't $texas and not horrible?

Cheapest one I know of is the Transformer T110. I posted a review of it on the last page. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575393#post420740497

$399 at Amazon for the 64 GB version

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00FFJ0HUE

There's an 11 inch version of the Dell Venue Pro that starts at $499 - that one's interesting because it also has a user replaceable battery.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Ohh man, the dell keyboard attachment for the Venue 8 Pro better come out soon. I've always wanted a baby laptop, I would snatch up this combo in a heartbeat.

MeauxFeaux
Mar 29, 2010
I have been in the market for a tablet and thought I had made my selection on the first gen IpadMini..The price drop since the new one was announced put it right at the top end of my budget.

On a whim I asked some family and friends if they wanted to sell their tablets to maybe get a good deal. I got a text back from a friend who offered a 1st gen surfaceRT with the keyboard combo 32gb for 150$ :fap:

Now I am all in on this thing.

I do have a question that I have not been able to answer however. Does the windows 8.1 update come to the SurfaceRT ? And if not, have they/are they still updating the OS ?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MeauxFeaux posted:

I do have a question that I have not been able to answer however. Does the windows 8.1 update come to the SurfaceRT ? And if not, have they/are they still updating the OS ?

There is a Windows RT 8.1 update, but it got yanked from the Store due to Issues. It'll be fixed sometime soon.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

loquacius posted:

There is a Windows RT 8.1 update, but it got yanked from the Store due to Issues. It'll be fixed sometime soon.

It should be up now. I just updated last night.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

8.1 is a huge leap over 8 on a tablet, also, and it should be a mandatory update.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LifeSizePotato posted:

8.1 is a huge leap over 8 on a tablet, also, and it should be a mandatory update.

It's great even on a desktop. I regret my initial Windows (RT) tablet purchase, but with these Bay Trails, I'm certainly warming up to the possibility of buying a Windows tab again.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm getting an Asus T100 Tuesday. Is there anything anyone wants to know about it in particular?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

rcman50166 posted:

I'm getting an Asus T100 Tuesday. Is there anything anyone wants to know about it in particular?

I'd be interested to know if they got rid of the lovely plastic that existed on the TF600 and if they finally stopped having quality control issues with their build quality and screen construction.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

rcman50166 posted:

I got mine on release day and I have used it for a bit. I think the biggest surprise about it is that the Atom processor isn't actually bad at all anymore. I bought it to remotely do things from my desktop but I am finding it has more uses that I was expecting. Hope you enjoy it!

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

rcman50166 posted:

Let me know how the screen looks under sunlight. I'm thinking of buying one to use on the train every day.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I'm grabbing one, too! I couldn't resist, it's getting here Monday. It seems like a much better fit for me than an iOS or Android tablet could ever be. I'll also post my impressions, since people seem interested.

Protocol7 posted:

I'd be interested to know if they got rid of the lovely plastic that existed on the TF600 and if they finally stopped having quality control issues with their build quality and screen construction.
I wouldn't be too optimistic, I've heard the back is pretty plasticky and not aesthetically appealing.

waffle fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 26, 2013

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Had anyone been able to find the T100 in stores?

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Hughmoris posted:

Had anyone been able to find the T100 in stores?

I bought mine at Microcenter.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
What's the general thought process of those of you looking at an RT tablet between the Surface and the Lumia?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Don't get an RT tablet.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I think I'm going to be buying myself a T100 for Christmas. I don't care if the back is made of recycled milk jugs, it looks to be one of the best values out there right now (unless something better comes out by then).

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

I played around with a Surface Pro 2 today at Best Buy and it was heavier than I was expecting. Comparable in heft to an ultrabook so that was a deal breaker for me. I didn't even bother hanging around to see how well it performed. Baytrail here I come!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
It's weird, I carry really heavy cameras regularly and heavier was always a good indicator of better performance because the way optics works, so I've never minded the weight. I may have even embraced it at times, and I even hope my T100 isn't too light.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I came here on a lark, but Now I admit that I find myself pretty curious. I've been using an ASUS Transformer with android loaded onto it and I have been loving it absolutely- I have a robust office suite, EZPDF lets me use editable PDFs and save them, I can read comics amazingly with perfectviewer, ebooks comics and newspapers (And kind of magazines) all load incredibly on the nook or amazon apps. The battery life and the detachable keyboard make this such a valued treasure for me when it comes to school. My screen, however, has just cracked and I've lost all touch capacity- I could sink money into fixing my tablet, but it could also be worth it to just grab a new one. It's mostly the comments about portable old school gaming that have me really curious- How much like a full computer are the windows 8.1 line going to be like? I suppose my priorities would look like this: Sizeable battery life to use on campus both for and between classes. Not locked in to buying a microsoft office licence. Solid PDF support. Ease of Transport. Decent comic reading capacity. Fair streaming quality for netflix/hulu. Able to use USB inputs (But with the transformer I know that's not an issue). Finally gaming. I like portable gaming, being able to chill on the couch or in bed while the girlfriend plays on the computer or watches or a movie and fiddle around with an old dosbox game or baldurs gate is a big joy for me: It's dumb but being able to load something like baldur's gate or daggerfall on my tablet and play around using touch inputs is a big draw- I know windows 8.1 tablets can supposedly run these programs, but can they? Can I use the touch input for one-button games? Will it absolutely murder my battery life bringing me down to like a half hour unplugged? What's the range of what I can run? Obviously skyrim is out, but what about something like neverwinter nights or bard's tale? Talisman or legend of grimrock? Are the windows 8 apps readable on a ten inch, like football scores or bbc news? Is cracked readable? Super importantly is SA, because the Awful App is amazing. Could I use my old transformer keyboard with the windows 8 one, or is that also $150 extra?

Admittedly the android is very limited here, but it hits most of what I want out of it, and hits all of my school priorities. Is sinking 3-400 into a windows 8 tablet going to satisfy me?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

MobMentality posted:

What's the general thought process of those of you looking at an RT tablet between the Surface and the Lumia?

Whichever you think looks better. It may be a while before an actually attractive Baytrail tablet comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
It's a battery life + storage thing for me mostly due to work. I don't think there's any harm paying less for an RT device when I only want the RT capabilities.

• Locked thread