Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

To add one more note to the Thinkpad thread of thought: I really don't have any regrets on the Thinkpad 10 a month in. Inking really is a great aid in my work. Quick illustrations look very nice. I can basically do a lecture off of drawing random stuff in OneNote, tossing the students a pdf afterwards, and it suits me great.

I will note that Lenovo almost strikes themselves out on principle though in that their otherwise relatively uncrappy crapware actually keeps the processor awake during connected standby. I am not even sure what Lenovo app does it, but once I uninstalled a selection of the most useless stuff (none of the drivers, just userspace stuff like weird function key displays and warranty tracking apps) it stopped staying awake.

A level of random administration work that I really do not want to see in this kind of appliance device, and another really good reason to just go to the Microsoft devices. However, at least it is not a huge amount of effort involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It might not even necessarily be Lenovo's apps fault, a lot of it is dumb legacy windows programs that don't know how to respect connected standby. I had an ongoing issue of a thinkpad tablet 2 that was draining like a mother, and could not find the cause for ages, but it ended up being an Epson printer doodad sitting in the trey. That's connected standby's real problem, the unpredictable millions of legacy programs.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

To add one more note to the Thinkpad thread of thought: I really don't have any regrets on the Thinkpad 10 a month in. Inking really is a great aid in my work. Quick illustrations look very nice. I can basically do a lecture off of drawing random stuff in OneNote, tossing the students a pdf afterwards, and it suits me great.

That sounds really cool, and it is likely to be £300 cheaper then the Helix... How is the display in sunshine? The video's I've seen make it seem like the reflections are really bad.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Is the proposed core-m broadwell an atom/bay trail successor or a haswell successor?

I really want to grab a new laptop or tablet but am waiting it out.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Zarfol posted:

Is the proposed core-m broadwell an atom/bay trail successor or a haswell successor?

I really want to grab a new laptop or tablet but am waiting it out.

In terms of architecture, it's a Haswell successor.

In terms of the product lineup, performance, etc, it's somewhere in the middle - capable of ultra-low-power fanless operation like Atom, but not quite on the same performance level as the desktop or big mobile chips because you have to make some sacrifices to hit that power budget.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sorry to sound so ignorant but I've truly never used Bluetooth and I want to make sure I have this right.

I want a wireless mouse for my asus t100 because grading is going to be significantly more pleasant with the added cursor control (I comment on papers and all thhat jazz). It is crucial that the mouse not require a dongle or USB plug.

Do I simply have to buy a bluetooth mouse and viola? I like how the arc mouse just "connects" but it's a bit rich for my blood. What allows for that seamless connection? Is it simply bluetooth? I ask because I saw another version of the arc mouse that does require a plug so I'm a bit confused.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Should be just Bluetooth, yeah. I bought the sculpt mouse a while back for $25 from Amazon and it's worked great in my old laptop and my surface. You just have to pair it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KingSlime posted:

Sorry to sound so ignorant but I've truly never used Bluetooth and I want to make sure I have this right.

I want a wireless mouse for my asus t100 because grading is going to be significantly more pleasant with the added cursor control (I comment on papers and all thhat jazz). It is crucial that the mouse not require a dongle or USB plug.

Do I simply have to buy a bluetooth mouse and viola? I like how the arc mouse just "connects" but it's a bit rich for my blood. What allows for that seamless connection? Is it simply bluetooth? I ask because I saw another version of the arc mouse that does require a plug so I'm a bit confused.

Bluetooth is dongleless. You just pair it to your device in Windows 8 and it will work from that point on without any fuss (you'll have to re-pair it if you use it with another device)

You can buy a standard wireless mouse with a Logitech unifying dongle or whatever and it will work just fine as long as you have the dongle plugged in.

You could even use a normal wired USB mouse if you don't care much about portability or are short on cash.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

KingSlime posted:

I bought this mouse and am about to buy a second one.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sculpt-Comfort-Mouse-H3S-00003/dp/B00BZC31WQ/

It's Bluetooth so no dongle, it's cheap, and its buttons are programmable. It's got about eight different buttons/motions, left/right/middle(wheel)/side button click, two side swipe directions (up/down) and you can click the middle mouse button either side direction as well. I just turn on the switch on the bottom and it's working in about a second. Takes 2x AA batteries.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 10, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

It's Bluetooth so no dongle, it's cheap, and its buttons are programmable. It's got about eight different buttons/motions, left/right/middle(wheel)/side button click, two side swipe directions (up/down) and you can click the middle mouse button either side direction as well. I just turn on the switch on the bottom and it's working in about a second. Takes 2x AA batteries.

Yeah, is my "go to" bluetooth mouse as well.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Excellent, thanks for all the helpful replies! During breaks I tend to ignore my tablet but man during the semester I really appreciate having a workhorse in sleek tablet format.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

OldPueblo posted:

3rding this amazing mouse. absolutely love it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just got my hands on an 8Gb RAM surface pro 3, and I gotta say I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, I primarily bought it because I'm an artist who wants to have an all in one to draw on and sketch on without doing the Hassle of lugging a laptop+Wacom around all the time just to draw and sketch people, it's performing far above and beyond my expectations, and getting the dock and a 24-inch screen means I pretty much have e a full workstation I can produce my work on.

Actually drawing on the device, far, FAR exceeded what I was expecting, especially after downloading the Wintab driver the thing works like a goddamn charm, the default drawing tool that comes with it (freshpaint) is extremely limited but it works super well at showing how awesome drawing and painting on the device going to be when I finally get the real deal drawing tools like Photoshop and Corel painter.

There are however complaints I have:-

1) Sometimes when you're drawing your pen will inevitably leave the screen and drag back as you're painting, this will cause the annoyance of the settings or previously used applications to be dragged on to the screen making you leave the drawing.

2) The home button sometimes gets pressed as I rest my hands on the side.

3) I hope this is just because I am using the default software rather than something more advanced, but I hope that with Photoshop the software doesn't recognize my skin as a brush stroke while my hand rests on it or when I'm pinching the screen.

Other than those three this machine is absolutely perfect, every day I fall more and more in love with this thing. Microsoft really hit a home run with the SP3 and I truly recommend the device to artists who are looking for a portable device to do all their sketching and drawing on, just buy the dock and a good screen so you can use your tablet for heavier work and you basically have everything you need to make good stuff.

I never thought I'd say this, but good loving job, Microsoft.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Agreed - I love my SP3. Have some good news for you to - Microsoft released a patch yesterday that seems to deactivate the Windows button when then pen is in use (either that or I just noticed it). Try going to updates >> check and run them, might help you out!

In my experience skin on glass never creates a stroke when the pen is in use; although I haven't messed around with photoshop. They have some special "SP3" beta version with Adobe I'd love to try though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
There is no beta version, the last version of CC has the dpi scaling in photoshop and touch friendly UI. There is no point in using any older photoshop on the surface unless you want to go blind trying to read the menu text in photoshop.

I never had my palm or fingers leave stray marks when using photoshop and I rest my hand on the screen all the time. The only thing that happens to me is accidentally hitting the win key while drawing or accidentally hitting the side scroll bar in photoshop and suddenly losing where I was drawing. I will check that update now though.

Is there any word if they added customization to the pen like custom pressure curves and the ability to remap the keys?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
http://anandtech.com/show/8515/quick-look-at-core-m-5y70-and-llama-mountain

Anandtech just did a preview of broadwell with ACTUAL benchmarks!

These benchmarks are based on the 4.5 watt broadwell compared to 15 watt SP3

Probably won't see much real world performance increase but the battery life increase should be significant.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
If this is the case, hopefully heat should be lessened as well. Would be great to have a fanless, non throttling sp3

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Tsuru posted:

I got a z3770 T100 a few days ago, and was floored when I tried to play source engine games on it, and they actually worked quite well. Not that I will be doing a lot of that, but I'm already blown away by it. I call it my Windows plank.

I just hope it isn't let down by a broken mUSB port or something like that in the near future...
...aaand it's going back to the store. A line appeared on the LCD today, and it's definitely hardware.

Hopefully I will be able to replace it by a T200 right away as it has better build quality and more IO options (SATA drive bay, ethernet port, etc.)

RedChops
Sep 8, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

I just got my hands on an 8Gb RAM surface pro 3, and I gotta say I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, I primarily bought it because I'm an artist who wants to have an all in one to draw on and sketch on without doing the Hassle of lugging a laptop+Wacom around all the time just to draw and sketch people, it's performing far above and beyond my expectations, and getting the dock and a 24-inch screen means I pretty much have e a full workstation I can produce my work on.

Actually drawing on the device, far, FAR exceeded what I was expecting, especially after downloading the Wintab driver the thing works like a goddamn charm, the default drawing tool that comes with it (freshpaint) is extremely limited but it works super well at showing how awesome drawing and painting on the device going to be when I finally get the real deal drawing tools like Photoshop and Corel painter.

There are however complaints I have:-

1) Sometimes when you're drawing your pen will inevitably leave the screen and drag back as you're painting, this will cause the annoyance of the settings or previously used applications to be dragged on to the screen making you leave the drawing.

2) The home button sometimes gets pressed as I rest my hands on the side.

3) I hope this is just because I am using the default software rather than something more advanced, but I hope that with Photoshop the software doesn't recognize my skin as a brush stroke while my hand rests on it or when I'm pinching the screen.

Other than those three this machine is absolutely perfect, every day I fall more and more in love with this thing. Microsoft really hit a home run with the SP3 and I truly recommend the device to artists who are looking for a portable device to do all their sketching and drawing on, just buy the dock and a good screen so you can use your tablet for heavier work and you basically have everything you need to make good stuff.

I never thought I'd say this, but good loving job, Microsoft.

What processor/hard drive space did you get? I'm considering the i5 version as my next tablet.
Coming from a Transformer TF700, I really just want something responsive that also lets me keyboard things.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tom Guycot posted:

3rding this amazing mouse. absolutely love it.

I have this mouse as well, and I love it.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
What kind of experiences with games are you all getting on your Win8 tablets?
Jigsaw is addictive as hell but I seriously hope more things come to the store.

I bought Gestureworks Gameplay off Steam but to be honest I'm a bit disappointed that it's not working with Minecraft.
:/

Hearthstone is perfectly playable though, same with Civilization 4.
Warcraft 3 isn't playable because there is no easy way to scroll around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, the SP3 has power, usb and mdp on the same side, right? So do any ghetto docking station products exist that let you just drop that side in, rather than paying $200 for the official overkill dock? It feels like there's no reason there couldn't be; all it'd want for internals is a USB hub and surface power adapter, the MDP would just basically be a cable.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 14, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Hey, the SP3 has power, usb and mdp on the same side, right? So do any ghetto docking station products exist that let you just drop that side in, rather than paying $200 for the official overkill dock? It feels like there's no reason there couldn't be; all it'd want for internals is a USB hub and surface power adapter, the MDP would just basically be a cable.

The old dock was definitely overpriced for what it offered. The new one, while still at a premium, is a much better deal due to the added functionality. See my review of it a couple pages back in the thread.

If you don't want it, there's always the "dock" route you are describing, which is really "just plug in a bunch of cables" :) I mean if you are plugging in a MDP, power, and USB hub cable what's the difference? If you are asking if there is some plasticky crap adapter that lets you do all 3 at once the answer is no. With the SP3 you really want to use the new combination bus/power port anyway for max efficiency, particularly with USB.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ixian posted:

If you don't want it, there's always the "dock" route you are describing, which is really "just plug in a bunch of cables" I mean if you are plugging in a MDP, power, and USB hub cable what's the difference?

Ease of use/standing it up, really. Ah well, maybe I can just 3D print something to make it a single motion.

The new real dock offers a lot of functionality, but it's functionality that we're not looking at using right now.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you
Bought a SP1 back in January when it was $500 and they were clearing out inventory. Cut to June or so when I dropped it on tile - screen had a crack, but usable. Cut to now and I'm starting to develop spider cracks in the screen. No extended warranty either. Is my only option to pay $300 for an MS swap?

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
OK so the Thinkpad 10 128 GB version with 4GB of ram (bay trail) was recently dropped to only $399 on Lenovo's website! As much as I want to wait out for a SP4 or the Thinkpad Helix with Intel Broadwell, the price point was too good of a deal to pass up, especially since it has the Wacom digitizer as well.

Opted out of the $119 Keyboard dock for now, seems a little pricey.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Zarfol posted:

OK so the Thinkpad 10 128 GB version with 4GB of ram (bay trail) was recently dropped to only $399 on Lenovo's website! As much as I want to wait out for a SP4 or the Thinkpad Helix with Intel Broadwell, the price point was too good of a deal to pass up, especially since it has the Wacom digitizer as well.

Opted out of the $119 Keyboard dock for now, seems a little pricey.

drat, that's a killer deal.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Since my Venue 11 Pro came back from warranty repair, it's been bluescreening, and the keyboard dock still isn't connecting right. I'm gonna have to withdraw any recommendation I made for this thing until Dell can actually repair it correctly.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Oh yeah, I knew there were other reasons than silly old work I bought this thing for.

Worth the money.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PS. Love the cabin posted:

What kind of experiences with games are you all getting on your Win8 tablets?
Jigsaw is addictive as hell but I seriously hope more things come to the store.

I bought Gestureworks Gameplay off Steam but to be honest I'm a bit disappointed that it's not working with Minecraft.
:/

Hearthstone is perfectly playable though, same with Civilization 4.
Warcraft 3 isn't playable because there is no easy way to scroll around.

I use a T100 and mostly play Windows Store games, though have had some success playing Civ 5. The keyboard certainly helps make conventional PC games playable.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Age of Empires Castle Siege came out today:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/535ec024-ff5c-488e-83a6-67c787ea25e8

What's most interesting about it is that it came out for Windows 8.1 tablets, desktops, and phones. It also supposedly syncs your saved game between the platforms, so if more games start doing that then it will be neat.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

RedChops posted:

What processor/hard drive space did you get? I'm considering the i5 version as my next tablet.
Coming from a Transformer TF700, I really just want something responsive that also lets me keyboard things.

It really depends on what you hope to get out of it, I do Animation and draw alot so I decided to invest in an i7 8gb ram with 256 Gb SSD, I went for high end because that's what I need and will use this machine for much longer for.

I invested in the i7 8Gb ram, I didn't need the version with 500 Gb disk space because the difference in price is way too much, for the same price as just buying that I got the 256 Gb version, the dock, the keyboard, Extra warranty AND an HDMI extension. They even threw in a Sleeve and an office license for free.

If all your work is just to type and general productivity work, the cheaper options are very viable. But if you're looking for tablet apps I wouldn't suggest the SP3, I got it as a tool for work and to draw on, the apps they have covers the essentials (with the annoying lack of Tumbler and Instagram) which are all I need so I'm super happy with the device.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Protocol7 posted:

I use a T100 and mostly play Windows Store games, though have had some success playing Civ 5. The keyboard certainly helps make conventional PC games playable.

Any must haves on the Windows Store?
It seems so anemic compared to Android :/

Dosbox works beautifully with Gestureworks Gameplay, I've made a few controllers for Commander Keen and Indycar 2 both of which run pretty well.
The only odd thing is expecting the feedback/click of a button press.

e:

My beef with Gestureworks is that it doesn't support dx8 and lower :/

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 18, 2014

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Did the tick rate problem in Chrome get fixed? I can't find anything dated after July, which means it was either fixed and pushed out in days or it's made no progress whatsoever.

e: also the Surface 2 pen doesn't work in Chrome at all, I can see the tracer when hovering the pen but left and right click don't do anything. I can't seem to find a fin on the options menu.

whiteshark12 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 19, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

whiteshark12 posted:

Did the tick rate problem in Chrome get fixed? I can't find anything dated after July, which means it was either fixed and pushed out in days or it's made no progress whatsoever.

I think we are all just happy it's proper HDPI resolution. No clue about your question.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I believe it was fixed, but that HiDPI support increases the rendering load so much that it's a net loss to battery life when surfing.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Funny you should mention that, because Microsoft just made an announcement that should be of interest to developers.

Microsoft posted:

Starting this week, Windows Dev Center requires only a one-time registration payment, which grants developers the ability to submit apps to both the Windows Store and Windows Phone Store, with no annual renewal fee.

It's now a ~$20 one-time fee to develop on Windows phones/tablets, which is similar to Google Play's current developer agreement and massively cheaper than Apple's. Whether that's going to increase popularity with customers or just cause an even greater influx of ad-ridden Firefox installers is the question.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

dpbjinc posted:

Funny you should mention that, because Microsoft just made an announcement that should be of interest to developers.

It's now a ~$20 one-time fee to develop on Windows phones/tablets, which is similar to Google Play's current developer agreement and massively cheaper than Apple's. Whether that's going to increase popularity with customers or just cause an even greater influx of ad-ridden Firefox installers is the question.

The money was never the issue. It was pretty cheap anyway. Developers are either really passionate about the platform (so the cost is irrelevant) or want more users so it makes it more worthwhile.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I don't have to pay anymore, but this won't change much. If anything. :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Pretty much anything made/published by Microsoft. They have a lot of microtransactions or ads, but the games are generally very polished. Solitaire, Wordament, Pinball FX2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

I have a theory. My personal renewal was coming up in about a month. I had a free renewal (bizspark) so I used that but if I hadn't have had a free renewal I might have not renewed. The old policy was if you don't renew your apps would be pulled off of the shelves and gone forever. My apps aren't great but some people use and like them even though I'm making no money.

I have a feeling someone smart as MS was looking at the renewal rates and saw a coming appocalypse of apps people use getting pulled off of the store (and never being able to be installed again). Then they decided the revenue from sign ups (Which I assume was very near 0 as MS gave out free memberships nearly constantly) was in no way worth damaging the already horrid app story for the WP8/W8 app stores.

Thankfully now the only app store with recurring costs is the Apple App store (FYI Amazon is free although they say they might start charging someday). I have to assume removing a stringent approval policy (plus staff) probably also impacted the decision.

• Locked thread