Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

This challenge is a lightning round. The only difference between it and a regular challenge is that it gives you much less time to complete it. Anyway, you may know Natsume as the company behind such games as Harvest Moon, but did you know they also made a shooting game?

Developed in 1994, Wild Guns centers around a girl named Annie and her quest to get revenge on the outlaws who killed someone in her family. To help her, she enlists the bounty hunter Clint, and you can play as either of them. This game features a wild west setting mixed with science fiction elements and features many different weapons to wreak havoc with.

The goal of this challenge is to reach the ending on the hardest difficulty!

This challenge will expire on :siren: Friday, November 8th at 12:00 AM EST :siren: so you'll have to work fast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Just finished my run of King's Field. It was a lot of fun.

Also here's my end game stats:

Also sign me up for Wild Guns. Been meaning to play that for a long time.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 5, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm assuming I'm in the latter half of the game and making good time (got all three dragon stones and making my way through the king's castle) so I'll try my hand at Wild Guns.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Alright, I finished Wild Guns. It was a lot harder than I remember it being, but that's probably cause I always played 2 player instead of 1 player.

The game is super fun though. Way more fun than King's Field. :(
I feel like I'm just running around blindly in that game. I'm level 10 and haven't even found a shop yet to use all this gold I've been piling up. If this goes on much longer I might have to break down and look up a walkthrough.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
If you go from the starting cave area, into the cave mouth where the broken bridge begins, head through the stone wall door, then through the first set of wooden doors you see. Follow the corridor and when you come out there should be writing on the wall directly in front of you advertising herbs for sale.

Turn right, and you'll see an open area with a collapsible bridge and a lever. Across the bridge, up the stairs, and to the right is a hallway leading to the north village. (Go past the graveyard entrance!) Al Hunt is a fat guy eating soup who will sell you Earth herbs, antidotes and other such things.

If you turn left instead of right at the wall writing, there's another bridge and stairs to the south village. A guy there sells weapons and such. There's also a key maker who will sell you keys to chests.

I hope that helps!

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 6, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Cheese Bread posted:

If you go from the starting cave area, into the cave mouth where the broken bridge begins, head through the stone wall door, then through the first set of wooden doors you see. Follow the corridor and when you come out there should be writing on the wall directly in front of you advertising herbs for sale.

Turn right, and you'll see an open area with a collapsible bridge and a lever. Across the bridge, up the stairs, and to the right is a hallway leading to the north village. (Go past the graveyard entrance!) Al Hunt is a fat guy eating soup who will sell you Earth herbs, antidotes and other such things.

If you turn left instead of right at the wall writing, there's another bridge and stairs to the south village. A guy there sells weapons and such. There's also a key maker who will sell you keys to chests.

I hope that helps!

Ahh, okay thanks. That should get me started at least. I was wondering how to get keys. I can't count how many locked chests and doors I ran into while I was flailing about...Didn't expect someone would just sell them to you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My basic King's Field tips:

-I highly recommend you don't bother buying equipment. You find pretty much everything you'll need in the wild if you search hard enough. Save your money for a silver key which will give you a bunch of good stuff from the locked chest's you've had to pass over.

-If it looks like a dead end, it probably isn't. Likewise, bottomless pits aren't likely bottomless although you'll need a gate and matching key to warp out if you drop down.

-Don't waste crystals on arrows, archers drop enough of them. Crystal flasks trivialize the game. Even if you don't find the secret fountain (it's easy to miss early on but really loving obvious later) you can fill up on healing potions at any running water source. Crystal shards have no purpose, sell them.

-Once you get the pirate key return to the starting area and hit up the locked doors. Right here you get a ton of free poo poo that makes the game easy. You can probably kill the kraken if you have the rock spell and two or three vials of mp water.

-In case you missed it, there's a map in the starting area on the furthest side of the island beyond the fisherman. I couldn't imagine playing this game without it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 6, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

-In case you missed it, there's a map in the starting area on the furthest side of the island beyond the fisherman. I couldn't imagine playing this game without it.

There's a map?!? :psyduck:
Well, that would've been nice to know earlier.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

al-azad posted:

-If it looks like a dead end, it probably isn't. Likewise, bottomless pits aren't likely bottomless although you'll need a gate and matching key to warp out if you drop down.

Definitely this. There are hidden areas all over the place. Hit action along all the walls if you're stuck.

It's been years since I've played this, so I completely forgot about the map! :shobon: I don't use maps in games much, so that may be why I didn't remember.

Also, do not cast your strongest spells at point blank, because you can actually hurt yourself with your own magic. You will blow yourself to kingdom come. Why yes, I do know this from experience! Although, when it happened, it was pretty funny to level up at the same time the monster and I both dropped dead.

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 7, 2013

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Sorry, quote does not equal edit.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Cheese Bread posted:

Also, do not cast your strongest spells at point blank, because you can actually hurt yourself with your own magic. You will blow yourself to kingdom come. Why yes, I do know this from experience! Although, when it happened, it was pretty funny to level up at the same time the monster and I both dropped dead.

On the plus side this goes for enemies too. Also, I'd invest a little money and make some extra copies of the rhombus key, they'll come in handy so you don't get stuck like I did and had to load a save.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

^ That is true. It's an especially useful trick when you're fighting more than one of a poison spewing enemy since you can hide behind one and let the other kill it off.

I like to just steal back any rhombus keys from doors to rooms that I don't intend to visit again.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Yeah I finished the game with like 14 rhombus keys and I never bought a copy :p,combat for me was mostly circle strafing as to not get hit until I got to the point where I could restore mana pretty easily. I mostly used a weak spell like fireball to stun the enemy and then I hit them with melee.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I'm in for the King's Field challenge. The last thread had various games I could have went in for so I may as well try this time.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Having played quite a bit now I've got a protip for the start since there's something I didn't stumble across until much later. In the starting part there's a cave behind a waterfall, if you walk around in there and mash action a bunch you'll find something that's very helpful for that early in the game (avoid the enemies in the cave as they'll gently caress you up).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Might not be able to make Wild Guns. The tank boss is a loving douchebag. I just can't get this rear end in a top hat down it's incredibly frustrating.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

Might not be able to make Wild Guns. The tank boss is a loving douchebag. I just can't get this rear end in a top hat down it's incredibly frustrating.

That guy is a freaking rear end in a top hat. It took me forever to get past him. You really just need to be on the edges of the screen so you have enough time to react to the flamethrower. As far as I can tell there's no way to know if it'll go high or low until it actually comes out. :argh:
The final boss has similar attack, as in, it has two versions and there's no way to tell ahead of time which one he's gonna use.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

judgementbringer posted:

As far as I can tell there's no way to know if it'll go high or low until it actually comes out. :argh:

Actually you can, but it's super subtle (like 1 or 2 pixels difference subtle) and it's really to tough to pick up on it in the heat of battle.

Edit: Finished Wild Guns, I really like how you're given a lot of tools and tactics to evade danger. Also good grief, the last level pretty much ate up all the extra lives I was stockpiling. (Went in with 6 lives finished with 1.)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 8, 2013

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Wild Guns is now over, and King's Field has entered into its last seven days. There's still time, so if you're struggling with King's Field, then now's the time to start asking for help!

Combat Lobster posted:

Edit: Finished Wild Guns, I really like how you're given a lot of tools and tactics to evade danger. Also good grief, the last level pretty much ate up all the extra lives I was stockpiling. (Went in with 6 lives finished with 1.)

Combat Lobster hosed around with this message at Nov 8, 2013 around 01:04

Was this when you edited in your pictures? Because if it was, and I hate to have to say this, but you're about an hour late.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Shlapintogan posted:

Wild Guns is now over, and King's Field has entered into its last seven days. There's still time, so if you're struggling with King's Field, then now's the time to start asking for help!

Was this when you edited in your pictures? Because if it was, and I hate to have to say this, but you're about an hour late.

I misread the time. I thought it was for noon on Friday.:doh:

Oh wells, I'll take the failure; still had fun though.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Finished King's Field:

After the vertical learning curve of the start it's actually La Mulana that the game reminded me of more than the Souls games; once you unlock warping and the fountains dying isn't much of an issue outside of insta-kills, and the real challenge is in working out how the world comes together and "solving" that.

Mman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 8, 2013

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I'm currently working on King's Field here, and if someone's who's finished the game or gotten decently far, could someone tell me what the guy mining in the small mine said about "talk to so-and-so before going into the big mine"? I forgot what he said, and I'm kind of wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out who he was talking about.

Also, is there a way to refill mana other than using dragon crystals?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Glagha posted:

So I'm currently working on King's Field here, and if someone's who's finished the game or gotten decently far, could someone tell me what the guy mining in the small mine said about "talk to so-and-so before going into the big mine"? I forgot what he said, and I'm kind of wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out who he was talking about.

Big Mine is one of the latter areas you should go to. In true From Software design you can go there now but you will be destroyed. Talking to the person in question isn't required (I forget who it is exactly).

You can refill mana with moon stones but it's a really rare item that doesn't appear in treasure chests until late game. There are two dragon stones hidden in the world which unlock pools in Seath's fountain. One of them restores your mana.

PROTIP: If you stand in front of one of the trees you can find in certain areas you'll get a free dragon crystal after about 3 minutes.

Also, did you know you can talk to the enemy soldiers? They only say one thing "Die."

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Glagha posted:

I'm a little farther than there; it might be a reference to the Miner's Map you can get for free from a cave graveyard to the east of the north (elf? wind?) village which you find in a south-eastern grave near a treasure chest. I could be wrong, though, because I still have a ways to go.

There is another free way to refill mana, and I think you should be about at the point where it is possible if you've found the correct items. Actually, you should probably wait until you do the quest that unlocks the rest of Central Village, first. You probably already found the crystal flask and the first Dragon Key near the beginning of the game, and there's another key can get if you beat a mini-Kracken behind the giant one (though it's difficult; either use magic/bows/recovery items or do what I did and find how to kill him with just the shortsword) and head behind the waterfall. You use those at the Old Hand fountain which connects from the secret prison area; I think if you only have one key you could just technically use in on the non-status effect healing fountain, but I'm not sure. If you're wondering :wtf: it is probably because you haven't been searching walls (it's mentioned in the manual).

Oh, btw, I kept forgetting to mention I'm doing this challenge :ohdear: We'll see if I have enough time!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 10, 2013

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Doom Goon posted:

I'm a little farther than there; it might be a reference to the Miner's Map you can get for free from a cave graveyard to the east of the north (elf? wind?) village which you find in a south-eastern grave near a treasure chest. I could be wrong, though, because I still have a ways to go.

There is another free way to refill mana, and I think you should be about at the point where it is possible if you've found the correct items. Actually, you should probably wait until you do the quest that unlocks the rest of Central Village, first. You probably already found the crystal flask and the first Dragon Key near the beginning of the game, and there's another key can get if you beat a mini-Kracken behind the giant one (though it's difficult; either use magic/bows/recovery items or do what I did and find how to kill him with just the shortsword) and head behind the waterfall. You use those at the Old Hand fountain which connects from the secret prison area; I think if you only have one key you could just technically use in on the non-status effect healing fountain, but I'm not sure. If you're wondering :wtf: it is probably because you haven't been searching walls (it's mentioned in the manual).

Oh, btw, I kept forgetting to mention I'm doing this challenge :ohdear: We'll see if I have enough time!

Nah, all those things make sense. Thank you! Already did that quest by the way, I was just wandering around wondering what to do and considering whether or not to go in but I wanted to do whatever that guy was talking about first.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I'm going to have to surrender to King's Field. I got my free Steam copy of Wasteland 1 from the Kickstarter for 2 and well I do not expect to have the time to finish King's Field.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

King's Field completed! (~25 hours left, btw)

Wow, I had a lot of fun with that! It's kind of a shame the game's so long because it's doubtful it'll pop up here again for those that missed it. I particularly liked the beginning where you have to be much more careful and steadfast to make any sort of progress at all. There's definitely some problems (particularly technical ones with the slowdown, which I can imagine could be an instant "quit" for those sensitive to that type of stuff. Could've used stronger music although the sound effects where still pretty fun), the magic and item systems are a little weird and/or overpowered (or useless, like the way too short and selective Phantom Rod), but it's convinced me to seriously look into FromSoftware's catalog. Really good game to count as my first completion this round!

:toot:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I'm making good progress, but since forum time is so far ahead of my time and I had a really busy weekend, I know I'm not going to be able to finish the game on time.

I'm really bummed because it's a favorite of mine and I've beaten it before, so I'm sort of ashamed of myself. :sigh: I just didn't have as much free time as I'd hoped.

Maybe I'll be able to actually complete a challenge another time. I still plan to beat this one just for fun, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This would have been so much more enjoyable if it ran at a smooth frame rate. I probably would have loved it back in the day because I always wanted to play Ultima Underworld but didn't have a computer for it until years later.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Took my sweet time, but I've finally completed King's Field.

I really enjoyed this one. I was worried the repetitive textures would make navigation a hassle, but other than the odd cave system or two it wasn't too bad.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

We've got a little over five hours left in the King's Field challenge, and tomorrow's new challenge will not be on the PS1. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask what everyone's opinion on PS1 challenges is, though. Did you have any trouble playing the games (on the technical side, not on the difficulty side)? Do you think that they're a good fit for challenges? Do you want to see more or less of them in the future?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

We've got a little over five hours left in the King's Field challenge, and tomorrow's new challenge will not be on the PS1. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask what everyone's opinion on PS1 challenges is, though. Did you have any trouble playing the games (on the technical side, not on the difficulty side)? Do you think that they're a good fit for challenges? Do you want to see more or less of them in the future?

No trouble playing the games. PS1 is definitely the easiest of the late 90s consoles to get a hold of whether it's an original copy, something on PSN, or even emulation.

PS1 is the cornerstone of the fifth generation gaming so yes, it's appropriate.

I don't lean in any direction, as long as there's variety among everything you've got planned. I wouldn't do another 3 PS1 games in a row if that's what you're asking but even having one every other week is fine by me.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Looks like I'm still in the challenge as I misunderstood the end time!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I haven't had any trouble running any of games so far, and luckily I haven't had any problems in terms of controls either. (As my controls are setup with no analog stick support)

I do like the PS1 challenges as it gives me a chance to experience more games from a console I didn't use a whole lot back in the day; but I do think we could use a break from the PS1 for a while.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Unfortunately there's no way in hell i'll be able to finish King's Field in time. However, I will be finishing this game because drat am I having a good time with this one. I feel like I'm pretty far in the game but at the same time that I still have so much to explore. It's really exciting. Haven't felt that with a game in a while. Hell, I think the last time I did was with Dark Souls, who knew?

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Welp, guess I'm going to have go ahead and concede defeat on this one. :( I just haven't had the time or patience to get through it, and I doubt I'll pick it up again. It's really nothing like the Souls games at all.
The best part of those games is the combat. In this game it's basically an afterthought. An annoying chore that's slows you down as you try to explore. I'm sure this was great back in the day, but aside from the atmosphere it really hasn't aged well at all.

I kind of want them to remake this game but with the Souls combat system. I'd play the hell out of that game.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Glagha posted:

Unfortunately there's no way in hell i'll be able to finish King's Field in time. However, I will be finishing this game because drat am I having a good time with this one.

I'm in the same boat. Glad that I picked the game up again!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Shlapintogan posted:

No problem with PSX on my end! Interested to see what gems I missed. I owned one... somewhat late?... but I know I missed a lot and was more of a Nintendo kid anyway. I think I only have a couple games from around that generation on my backlog list and I have no idea if they'd be good recommendations or not.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Maybe you've heard of it, but there was once a game that was considered to be so hard that no one had ever seen its ending. Its cutesy exterior and upbeat tunes belie its status as one of the hardest games to ever grace the NES.

Hudson's Adventure Island or 高橋名人の冒険島 (Takahashi Meijin no Bōken Jima / Master Takahashi's Adventure Island) is known for its quick pace and brutal difficulty. Not only do you have to be blisteringly fast to clear the game, you also have to be exceptionally precise, with one hit spelling instant death for Master Takahashi. Adventure Island was originally supposed to be a port of the arcade game Wonder Boy, but partway through development, Hudson decided to change the design of the main character to Master Takahashi. If you participated in the last thread, you may remember that we challenged one of this game's sequels, Super Adventure Island.

Your goal in this challenge is to reach the ending!

This challenge will expire on :siren:Friday November 22nd at 12:00 AM EST :siren:

Manual

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
I've been dreading this day since the original thread went up. I'm in.

As for the PS1 challenge question, I had no problems running either and felt they fit in well with the thread. Playing through King's Field gave me flashbacks to the Legacy of the Wizard and Maze of Galious challenges. Definitely hope to see more in the future. As an N64-only kid during that era, I'd like to see what I missed out on.

• Locked thread