Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oh god why!? :gonk:

I'm so in for Adventure Island

PS: Shlapintogan, I know it's vaguely mentioned in the manual but can we spoil the continue code? It seems like such a horrible thing to not tell challengers about how to find that egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Glagha posted:

PS: Shlapintogan, I know it's vaguely mentioned in the manual but can we spoil the continue code? It seems like such a horrible thing to not tell challengers about how to find that egg.

It's flat out mentioned in the manual.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yes, you can clarify about the continue code.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Okay I'm in for Adventure Island.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I'm totally in for adventure island, I remeber playing this game a lot with my mom trying to beat it. I don't remeber if we ever did but I sure as heck am going to beat it now!

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Oh God, this game. I could never loving beat this thing as a kid. :argh: I'm definitely going to give it a shot though.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I'm now on Area 3 and I only just realized that the snails move.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
I am new to these threads but I will give Adventure Island a shot.

Are you allowed to use continues or does that count as a "cheat"?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

trekdanne posted:

I am new to these threads but I will give Adventure Island a shot.

Are you allowed to use continues or does that count as a "cheat"?

If it's a continue system built into the game, it's fine. If it's an emulator's save state/load state function, that is considered cheating.

Also, I'm finishing up the move this week so if a challenge is not posted Friday, it's because my new network isn't up and running just yet. If that ends up being the case, I'll have a thread AD issue a short challenge until I'm able to get back online. I apologize for any delays that might come up.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

My track record isn't too hot, but what the hell? I'm in for Adventure Island.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Holy poo poo, I made it all the way to the final level but clawing through the last world (I've probably spent more time on it than the rest of the game combined) has broke my will enough I'm going to have to go through again to try and finish on a later day. Area 8 is what I Wanna Be The Guy has nightmares of or something :stonk: :suicide:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mman posted:

Holy poo poo, I made it all the way to the final level but clawing through the last world (I've probably spent more time on it than the rest of the game combined) has broke my will enough I'm going to have to go through again to try and finish on a later day. Area 8 is what I Wanna Be The Guy has nightmares of or something :stonk: :suicide:

Yep. I just like following along with this thread and as soon as I saw Adventure Island posted, I immediately had PTSD flashbacks to 8-2 and 8-3. There's no way I would have beat that game without the Hudson Bee. I had an easier time with Battletoads.

The rest of the series on the NES is fantastic though.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If it means anything at all, it took me the entirety of the previous thread to screen Adventure Island. In that time, I also screened Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, ActRaiser, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Startropics, and, funnily enough, Super Adventure Island.

It's kind of a tough game :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've only played Super Adventure Island in the series. That game was so weird, soundtrack and all.

squared64
Nov 15, 2013
I haven't played any of the games in the series, but Adventure Island sounds like an enjoyable challenge so I'll try my best here.

Maybe if I get lucky, I'll pass the halfway point...

JeSo
Jul 14, 2004
I've been meaning to take on one of these challenges, and Adventure Island might be the game that makes me do it.

How do you generally take on these longer games without passwords or saves? Marathon session? Leaving the console paused for breaks? VC Suspend/Resume?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

gently caress it, I'm in. I'll probably stream it tomorrow.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
Guess if I'm going in, I'm going in hard. Count me in for Adventure Island.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

JeSo posted:

I've been meaning to take on one of these challenges, and Adventure Island might be the game that makes me do it.

How do you generally take on these longer games without passwords or saves? Marathon session? Leaving the console paused for breaks? VC Suspend/Resume?

Leaving the console paused is acceptable, otherwise you'll have to marathon it. The Hudson bee will allow you to continue if you game over.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm in. I've never played this game before, so we'll see how this turns out. :shepicide:

JeSo
Jul 14, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

Leaving the console paused is acceptable, otherwise you'll have to marathon it. The Hudson bee will allow you to continue if you game over.

That's fair, I'm in.

I'm going to start regretting that around 7-1.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm in. :shepface:

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Don't expect to finish this one but I'm in for it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in. I have no hope of winning, but I'll see how far I can get.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Streaming my first attempt at Adventure Island.

http://www.twitch.tv/lizardwizardmagemage

:toxx: If I don't beat the game on stream by the thread deadline, I must cover the Fighters Guild questline in my Oblivion LP.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Eat poo poo game, 8-3 is the biggest bullshit in the loving world. I spent like an hour at the loving falling platforms only to loving die to the fire directly at the end of it like 5 times.
Beyond that one point it actually wasn't that hard. I expected to spend a lot more time playing this then the one sitting I did after the Game Center CX ep I saw, the bosses are almost impossible to fail and the continue system is super forgiving if you actually know about it. And yet I still can't beat Wild Guns at all :shrug:.

Myriad fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 17, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
This godforsaken game is the first one I ever played. I'm in, I think it's time to finally beat it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Myriad posted:

Eat poo poo game, 8-3 is the biggest bullshit in the loving world. I spent like an hour at the loving falling platforms only to loving die to the fire directly at the end of it like 5 times.
Beyond that one point it actually wasn't that hard. I expected to spend a lot more time playing this then the one sitting I did after the Game Center CX ep I saw, the bosses are almost impossible to fail and the continue system is super forgiving if you actually know about it. And yet I still can't beat Wild Guns at all :shrug:.

That was quicker than expected.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

Someone beat King's Field I think the next day, you guys are crazy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well, I made it to 8-1 after grinding out a lot of this game this weekend. It's time to experience true suffering. :smith:

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

Yeah, it was pretty unexpected. Except for a couple places it really clicked with me and I went through it super quickly.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, uh...I streamed this last night, got to 3-4 left the emulator open in the hopes of resuming later in the week. However, my computer seems to have crashed and rebooted itself overnight. In light of this hardware failure, would it be acceptable to use the stage select code to resume from 3-1?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, uh...I streamed this last night, got to 3-4 left the emulator open in the hopes of resuming later in the week. However, my computer seems to have crashed and rebooted itself overnight. In light of this hardware failure, would it be acceptable to use the stage select code to resume from 3-1?

I'm sorry, but no. While the hardware crash is certainly unfortunate, the stage select code is still cheating.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Had to start over, so much as well let everyone watch:

http://www.twitch.tv/combat_lobster (Halfway done; good enough for today.)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 18, 2013

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Success!

The falling platforms in 8-3 were a hassle for sure, but what held me back the most was the Spider Hell that is 7-4 and 8-4. This one pair in particular near the third checkpoint ate up a bunch of my lives.
I managed to get into 8-4 with an upgraded weapon, but that only made me sloppy. I tried to be all badass and kill everything in sight, but the frogs had other plans. I really should've known better by this point than to engage them, and should've just walked safely under them.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The dark deed is done.

Adventure Island is over. I finished area 8 much faster than I thought I would. It only took me about an evening apiece for all four rounds! :shepicide:
What really surprised me though was that in 8-3 the falling platform bit clicked for me faster than I thought. I did it in less than 10 tries and when I got to the part at the end with the campfire for the first time I even managed to toe-land and hop the fire without touching it. Then I found out that it's fake anyway, but whatever!

Real talk time though, I swear to god I dreamt of spiders last night. So many spiders. Spider hell was so bad that I had a dream about spiders infesting my house. That is the sort of poo poo this game does to a person. My dreams were really hosed up last night regardless, but at least I know where the drat spiders came from!

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

Glagha posted:

falling platform bit clicked for me faster than I thought. I did it in less than 10 tries and when I got to the part at the end with the campfire for the first time I even managed to toe-land and hop the fire without touching it. Then I found out that it's fake anyway, but whatever!

It's what?! I died a bunch there trying to toeland and missing the edge entirely and I didn't even have to bother? gently caress me. :negative:

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
If there's any justice in the world, there's a special place in hell for whoever designed 7-4 and 8-2, and I'm sure 8-3 once I actually get to see it. :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Myriad posted:

It's what?! I died a bunch there trying to toeland and missing the edge entirely and I didn't even have to bother? gently caress me. :negative:

Yeah, I didn't find out until later when I went and looked up that section in Game Center CX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I have to stress again that the rest of the Adventure Island NES games are vastly different than the first one (i.e. has no levels designed by Satan). Anyone interested should check out Adventure Island II and III after you've completed this challenge since they are so much better. Adventure Island IV didn't make it out of Japan, but an English translation exists for the ROM. It's actually like an open-world/metroidvania type game. Having an adventure on an island, if you will.

• Locked thread