Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

I'm somewhat thankful my younger self never rented this from Blockbuster, I think it would have killed any desire to ever play a game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I'm going to resign from adventure island and give up. I fear what might happen to whats left of my sanity if I where to continue I'm sorry younger self but I just don't have the willpower to continue.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, based on reports I'm almost sad I won't be able to check out Adventure Island this week. It's amazing the response it's been getting!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm also giving up. My patience with this game is worn very thin, and I can't bring myself to go on despite wanting to see the craziness of 8-3 everyone was talking about. Made it as far as 7-4, so close. :negative:

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

The game broke me the first time, but I came back stronger and finally did it. It helps that I actually managed to remember enough to keep fireballs through the final level up until the last checkpoint, so I basically skipped the Spider nightmare.

Edit: Playing it actually made me realise I'd played it years ago on some cheap "100+ games in one!" thing and had gotten murdered in the first few levels with no knowledge of the continue code (or manual to find it out).

Mman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 22, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I finally did it. This game was a huge pain in the rear end. So many bullshit sections. :argh:
That last part of 8-3....I must have died at least 40 times to that poo poo. :negative:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The challenge for Adventure Island is over. There will be a bit of a delay until the next challenge (my internet isn't getting hooked up at the new place until Tuesday), but I'll make sure we remain on schedule next week. Sorry for the delay.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The move is mostly over but we're still having some work done on our internet and phone service, so this week will be given a pass. The next challenge will be this Friday and it will be for the SNES.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Triple post, but

Super Castlevania IV adds new mechanics to the series such as diagonal whipping and whip-swinging while building on the mechanics of previous games in the series. In it, players will once again control Simon Belmont as he proceeds through Dracula's castle, avoiding traps, enemies, and pitfalls along the way as they climb up to face Dracula yet again.

Your goal in this challenge is to reach the ending!

This challenge will expire on :siren: Friday, December 6th at 12:00 AM EST :siren:

Manual

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I'm in. It was a while ago but I've finished the game multiple times so I guess this will be a nice breather after Adventure Island.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm in.

Never played a Castlevania older than Portrait of Ruin (I know, I know...), so this'll be a challenge.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK, I've actually beaten this game, so if I don't do this challenge I'll eat my hat. I'm in.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I'm in, I tried to finish this a few years ago but stopped, and this is as good a reason as any to try again.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Made it to the first boss before giving up for the night.

I have only one thing to say so far:

Platforming while medusa heads are flying at you :argh:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm in. I remember playing this, but I don't think I made it pass level 2 before stopping for something else.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
I've beaten this game before, but it's been years. Count me in for some vampire killing raiding Dracula's Thanksgiving leftovers.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mikl posted:

I'm in.

Never played a Castlevania older than Portrait of Ruin (I know, I know...), so this'll be a challenge.

Man are you missing out. Not even Symphony of the Night? Rondo of Blood/Dracula X? The NES ones are some of my favorites. Get on that.

Also want to say that if anyone hasn't played IV, it's highly recommended. Fantastic game for an SNES launch title.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Not in! I beat it as part of Halloween festivities this year. Good pick, though!

Fiery Zeal
Oct 3, 2013
I've been looking for an excuse to give this game another try. Count me in!

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Mikl posted:

Made it to the first boss before giving up for the night.

I have only one thing to say so far:

Platforming while medusa heads are flying at you :argh:

Those do suck, but if you use the stopwatch it'll freeze both the spinning platforms and the medusas.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

Man are you missing out. Not even Symphony of the Night? Rondo of Blood/Dracula X? The NES ones are some of my favorites. Get on that.

Also want to say that if anyone hasn't played IV, it's highly recommended. Fantastic game for an SNES launch title.

I was a PC kid to begin with, so I didn't get into consoles until the mid-aughts. I'm (very slowly) starting to plug up the holes in my gaming collection :)

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
This sounds interesting. I'm in.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Never been much of a fan of classic Castlevania gameplay but I'll give this a go.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm in. This game is really fun and I've beaten it before, so there's really no excuse.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Myriad posted:

Never been much of a fan of classic Castlevania gameplay but I'll give this a go.
I dunno if I'd call it "classic" Castlevania; it's pretty different from Castlevania I, III, and even some of the later ones which have a more rigid style. It's got a variable whip system (including slack), and even spawning enemies has a whole different feel to it. It's not super hard, though there are some brutal parts that are backloaded into the game (thankfully it is more like the Japanese versions with how it does spawnpoints).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well, even though I'm sure I've played it about a billion times, I'll give Castlevania another try.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I'm in for this one. I've beaten it numerous times but that was a long time ago. When I used to play this my college roommate called it "Brown: The Game."

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

That was actually easier than I expected, given that the game has infinite continues, and is even nice enough to make the end-game boss rush stuff a separate level rather than making you do the final sadistic platforming sequences again if you fail.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know, even after playing this game before I thought I'd have a pretty easy time of it. I forgot that 8-1 is when the game really seems to put on the big boy pants and start being a right bastard. Instant death spikes on wheels everywhere? Delightful!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well that was a fun little jaunt. Reasonably difficult but not the horrid ballbuster the last game was.

It wasn't until I was pretty deep into it that I realized how much I like this game and a lot of the level design. The environments are really pretty great, especially area 9. I just love the whole haunted treasure room theme. The fact that you can drown in gold, and you get attacked by a bat made of treasure is just wonderful to me. It just oozes style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_PjqYQi5E
While I'm on the subject, like these Sequelitis videos or not, I think this is a super informative video about Castlevania 4's strengths and weaknesses. Kind of an in depth look into the changes between the classic Castlevania games and this one. It's a pretty neat video.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

Not much to say about this game, some of the music was really drat good and all the bosses were really easy.

Fiery Zeal
Oct 3, 2013

Great game. Not as difficult as I thought, although I died an embarrassing number of times to the falling staircases in stage B.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This game was a lot harder than I remember it being. Thank god for the end game boss rush being split up by checkpoints.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
[timg]http://lpix.org/1517080/Super Castlevania IV (U) [!]_00010.jpg[/timg][timg]http://lpix.org/1517081/Super Castlevania IV (U) [!]_00011.jpg[/timg]
[timg]http://lpix.org/1517082/Super Castlevania IV (U) [!]_00015.jpg[/timg][timg]http://lpix.org/1517083/Super Castlevania IV (U) [!]_00018.jpg[/timg]

Finally, I've completed this game. Thank God for infinite continues.

Seriously, those falling staircases are the devil's work. And the first boss in the boss rush at the end was almost unfair. Even after I figured him out, he was still able to hurt me.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, finally got around to doing this challenge. Thanks for giving me an excuse to replay this game again. It's probably my favorite of the "classic" Castlevania games. It doesn't have the laser-guided focus that the original has, but it's a still a lot of fun.

My only real complaint is the Death fight and the Dracula fight are too easy. They're traditionally supposed to be the hardest bosses in each game, but in this one they're kind of a joke. You can safely cheese Death by sitting to the left of the block, and Drac lets you fully heal yourself in between phases.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

I was originally gonna try to win without continues, but I kinda lost interest in that halfway through and just wanted to finish up. It's just as well, because trying to get through B-2 and B-3 with minimal losses would've been a nightmare, and I didn't enjoy the game enough to warrant replaying everything before that over and over again.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Finished. Holy crap Dracula was a pain. Also, oddly I had a ton of trouble with the first boss of the boss rush but not the rest of them until Drac.

crowbb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 6, 2013

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

crowbb posted:

Finished. Holy crap Dracula was a pain. Also, oddly I had a ton of trouble with the first boss of the boss rush but not the rest of them until Drac.

Yeah that first boss is kind of pain until you get his pattern down. His hitbox is bigger than you'd think by looking at him.

Also, Drac really isn't that bad. He's actually one of the easier Drac fights. In between phases, he shoots light balls that zoom around. If you hit, them they drop chicken. And he stays in this phase til you hit him twice. So you can just heal yourself this way at your leisure

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I did it. It was easier than I expected at first, but it got way harder later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Up until about halfway through January, I'm going to be posting new challenges on Saturdays instead of Fridays.

• Locked thread