Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

There is a minimum distance, but I don't know what it is. It's not very far, from what I can tell. If you have precursor weapons, any time they throw before impact is considered a charge, and many if not all units have a Charge animation where they raise their weapons/lower lances or whatnot.

How does speed factor into charges? I think I've read somewhere that charging downhill is generally better than charging uphill, because of the extra speed during the charge - or is that just something that determines when units get knocked down? The diamond formation also explicitly gives a bonus to charge speed while also giving a (smaller) penalty to overall speed, so presumably the net gain in speed on a charge does more than just "your units get there slightly quicker" since that's basically never a factor.

In general your units will know exactly when to charge if you give a direct attack order (annoyingly they will also do this if you're in a formation like shield wall - breaking said formation to charge the enemy), so you shouldn't have to micromanage it too much. It would only really matter if you're doing cycle charges with shock cavalry, and honestly that's some really high level micromanagement that's not really necessary unless you're planning on getting into competitive multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I am still getting totally rocked as Mercia, I think I just need to concede a few places and work back up at the beginning

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How does speed factor into charges? I think I've read somewhere that charging downhill is generally better than charging uphill, because of the extra speed during the charge - or is that just something that determines when units get knocked down? The diamond formation also explicitly gives a bonus to charge speed while also giving a (smaller) penalty to overall speed, so presumably the net gain in speed on a charge does more than just "your units get there slightly quicker" since that's basically never a factor.

In general your units will know exactly when to charge if you give a direct attack order (annoyingly they will also do this if you're in a formation like shield wall - breaking said formation to charge the enemy), so you shouldn't have to micromanage it too much. It would only really matter if you're doing cycle charges with shock cavalry, and honestly that's some really high level micromanagement that's not really necessary unless you're planning on getting into competitive multiplayer.

I believe speed and mass factor into impact damage, which is free damage applied on a charge independent of weapon damage or other stats. The "strength and honor" YouTube guy did a video testing this by setting weapon damage to zero. Should be easy enough to find the video but I'm on a phone at the moment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How viable a strategy is it for the WRE to just pick a spot you want to hold and burn down or abandon everything north of it?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

How viable a strategy is it for the WRE to just pick a spot you want to hold and burn down or abandon everything north of it?

If you do the burning all at once you get a cascade of rebellions in all your provinces and it's hard to recover from the public order hit. I burned Briton for the money and held across middle France, the Alps and Venice. Iberia gave me public order trouble for a while and even though I ignored Africa for a bit I managed to keep most of it.

I'm now past 420 with WRE and I'm holding things together fairly well. ERE is gone. My only regret is not killing everyone on the British isles and leaving it in ruins.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

this is the expected strategy. Except don't abandon them due to factionwide PO penalties like DiHK said. Strip everything in Britain, send the army down to spain to deal with rebellions there. Don't abandon Britain, the Celtic factions will then waste time sacking territory instead of hitting you with extra doomstacks in France, which will also give you the breathing space to deal with eg the suebians trying to rush interior provinces. Use the northern half of France as a battleground you can reinforce in, if your units are fighting battles every turn they aren't wasting money in upkeep :hist101: As it was I ended up having to send 2 stacks to ERE at one point to bail their sorry arses out right after they had a bunch of rebellions and 3/4 of turkey was either occupied or being sacked every turn while their new armies in egypt sat around with their fingers up their bumholes.

The only really horrible thing about WRE is having to blunten enemy spearheads (see what I did there) in endless hopeless defensive town battles while the nearest legio runs over to clean up. That and the tech tree nonsense disabling your best PO and research buildings right up

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I just handle PO with the forum buildings, planning to go back to Pagan when I can. Plus the upkeep on Christian buildings is difficult to deal with early on.

TEAR DEM CHURCHES DOWN!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My Cordoba game is going much better now. Built a zillion mosques so now public order is stable while I spread the glorious truth of Islam.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's very common advice and it's sort of the norm in many cases but I never would recommend it personally. The British channel is a great way to prevent armies heading to Spain by sea and you only need one stack in Britain and Africa leaving you with plenty to deploy in Pannonia and to deal with rebels. If you do concede too much territory it can lead to the ERE which is a great source of income to fold, and keeping all your territory really helps later in the game when you want to start painting the map red, it means far fewer new factions will have sprouted and keeping those small one settlement factions on one province stops them from getting access to really complex armies backed by large recruitment options.

If you have to concede territory demolish every building in a province and let it convert to a rebel faction. Keep your army stack located near it and you'll often be able to negotiate peace with the separatists and use them as a buffer against invasion. Usually a 1 province separatist faction can't muster the building slots to produce powerful armies so usually you'll have no issues taking it over again later but on the flip side, even with 3 stacks the Huns can often crush them but their death or them moving into nomad stance gives an early alert that something is wrong.

Letting it convert to rebels is also beneficial as if each individual settlement is owned by its own faction, the building slots get filled in much faster making it easier to build infrastructure in when you take it over, and if they're Roman rebels they'll build Roman buildings.

You can deal with rebel stacks by dumping a general down in the settlement as soon as it rebels, giving him a few mercs and letting him and the garrison sally forth the turn after. You just need to figure out how many units you need to buy to handle each rebellion and then you need to dismiss that army so you can rapidly drop a general down in a new province the next turn. Try and stagger your rebellions so you have enough generals to do this.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
It's certainly less of a headache to give up on certain provinces. As others have said though, don't abandon them as in clicking the abandon button, but feel free to dismantle everything and essentially ignore them as other factions/rebels besiege/sack them. Use the massive treasury from dismantling to build the provinces you do think you'll be able to hold on to and move your armies to protect them. I forget what it's called but the factionwide PO debuff that you get from mass abandoning is insane, on one ERE attempt I mass abandoned things and I had the debuff at -50 PO, losing only -1 per turn, so yeah a loving nightmare.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I wouldn't recommend researching the middle tree on economic developments as WRE

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

DiHK posted:

I wouldn't recommend researching the middle tree on economic developments as WRE

if you get all of those and the last tech (hereditary nobility, the palace one) you get a good 10-12 happiness, which mostly makes up for not being able to build circuses in every town. The only problem is that you can't build the super libraries or the theatre for culture money anymore, though that theoretically frees up a lot of food for fortifying all your provinces with garrisons and walled towns. For the record, all my provinces are built up with theatres and circuses anyway, so most of the places getting churches (do tear them down in turn 1 btw, even if you're going christian later the maint costs right now will ruin you) are going to be post-huns when I'm rolling over those german/norse factions to own all the seas

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Never give up Britain, you want to be fighting from left to right across the map not dealing with the celts raiding into France and northern Spain all the time.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm experiencing a very strange bug where the siege AI has decided to send its units to the fringes of the map, and line up all along the borders. It's been half an hour already

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

The Duggler posted:

I'm experiencing a very strange bug where the siege AI has decided to send its units to the fringes of the map, and line up all along the borders. It's been half an hour already

You have to play with timers for exactly this reason. Broken rear end siege AI

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Ammanas posted:

You have to play with timers for exactly this reason. Broken rear end siege AI

Thankfully timers are on by default, or I turned them on in a moment of clairvoyance.

It ended up working well for me, survived a 800-2300 siege without losing a man

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Duggler posted:

Well, my orders say to attack on Thursday the 16th, but the 16th is a Friday so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to attack on Thursday or Friday.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I converted to Zoroastrianism as the Alans for fun really and it's one of the better religions to be apparently, but I don't seem to get the religious edicts for it? Is there a bug with it? Seems really weird if it is that it never got fixed.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

ad090 posted:

I converted to Zoroastrianism as the Alans for fun really and it's one of the better religions to be apparently, but I don't seem to get the religious edicts for it? Is there a bug with it? Seems really weird if it is that it never got fixed.

Yeah it sounds like that combination is something they missed. I think maybe people going that combo is rare enough that they just haven't looked into it too much but I saw someone complaining about that on the official forums a few weeks back, the devs evidently are looking into it.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I am having a great time in my Mercia campaign, I downloaded a mod to add a bit of unit variety and Its like night and day.

I own the entire UK corner of the map now, thinking I might jump either east to sweden and norway, or south and capture brittany or something

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Playing grand campaign Egypt, do I want political influence to be as high as possible or is there a balance sweet spot?
So the influence number should go up from having a lot of gravitas dudes in your family, is it worth adopting a good general even if it costs a few votes in the short term?

All the guides are either outdated or focus on Rome, which seems to have a different family republic thing going on.
Thanks :) Also holy crap Egypts starting lands are amazing from what little I've seen.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
My game completely crashes whenever my Theuros Spears are engaged with an enemy in square formation.

Good to know some things never change!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sauer kraut posted:

Playing grand campaign Egypt, do I want political influence to be as high as possible or is there a balance sweet spot?
So the influence number should go up from having a lot of gravitas dudes in your family, is it worth adopting a good general even if it costs a few votes in the short term?

All the guides are either outdated or focus on Rome, which seems to have a different family republic thing going on.
Thanks :) Also holy crap Egypts starting lands are amazing from what little I've seen.

In unitary politic factions (so everyone not Rome\Carthage) you want to be the big dog and gather as much power as possible Adopt influencial leaders, they lose out gravitas but eventually regain it back to you.

Egypt is amazing but native egyptian units are offensively terrible. Fortunately you can have such a rich province you can swarm the Seleucids in little angry egyptians.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Democrazy posted:

My game completely crashes whenever my Theuros Spears are engaged with an enemy in square formation.

Good to know some things never change!

I tried googling this crash and the only thing similar was one guy whose Rorarii crashed the game in square formation, but it turned out to be a faulty RAM stick. Could be something up with your hardware.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I am playing Charlemagne as spain and I tried earlier to find a sanitation building to counter my mine but I couldn't find one. Am I missing something or is this "brilliant" social commentary on European medieval society?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Man Whore posted:

I am playing Charlemagne as spain and I tried earlier to find a sanitation building to counter my mine but I couldn't find one. Am I missing something or is this "brilliant" social commentary on European medieval society?

IIRC the sanitation buildings for most of the Christian factions in Charlemagne are tied to church-type settlements. They do affect neighbouring provinces at least.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

John Charity Spring posted:

IIRC the sanitation buildings for most of the Christian factions in Charlemagne are tied to church-type settlements. They do affect neighbouring provinces at least.

yer all the sanitation comes out of the church chain, it's like the latin christian buildings in vanilla attila but it's multi-province

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I hate agents in Age of Charlemagne. Any moda that make them more Rome 2-like?

• Locked thread