Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zabet
Jul 30, 2013

xzzy posted:

I don't have a FPS number, but it does chug pretty good. It's technically playable I suppose, but mouse input is laggy enough that you can't really do much in the way of micromanagement. Sometimes the game misses keypresses too.

But on the other hand, it doesn't crash, so I guess that's something.

Odd. I've got the same system and I got around 20-30fps with the game cutting textures and the like. Are you using the newest beta drivers? I guess it could have something to do with the units or terrain too, I used royal peltasts in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zabet posted:

Odd. I've got the same system and I got around 20-30fps with the game cutting textures and the like.

I run on ultra or whatever the highest setting is. 40x40 fights never happen in single player so my framerate is almost always totally smooth.

ThirstyTurtle
Oct 8, 2013

Petah posted:

Hey last thread somebody said there was a way to manually control chariots while using the third person camera. Does anybody know how to do it and what units it can be used for?

I know you can control catapults, but not too sure on the chariots.

Zabet
Jul 30, 2013

xzzy posted:

I run on ultra or whatever the highest setting is. 40x40 fights never happen in single player so my framerate is almost always totally smooth.

Well, that last screen definitely looked like the game dropped all the textures to low. Whatever, I guess?

Gonkish posted:

Alright, it doesn't look like it's being updated anymore, and, frankly, there isn't another mod out there that does this without being loving stupid and changing everything else, so here goes: can someone either update or remake this mod? Specifically, the second one linked (LB_HalvedSqualorII.rar)? All it does is halve squalor on buildings across the board, but it hasn't been updated in a while and isn't fully compatible with patch 5/the Seleucids.

It took longer to upload than to make it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have no idea how to do this voodoo, so you are literally Superman now.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Selecuids are fun, and armored war elephants seem to be an I WIN button if you enemy doesn't have spears, and enough spears since you can just shoot the spears down while running circles around them and then plow them over anyway. :smug: eygpt stole a march on me so I ambushed his army of a general and 3 spear guys with an elephant general and I won without any casualities thanks to a properly placed surprise trampling. drat they made this thing fun now with all the fixes.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Zabet posted:

Well, that last screen definitely looked like the game dropped all the textures to low. Whatever, I guess?

It took longer to upload than to make it.

Hey Zabet, you forgot to include War Dogs for everybody in your latest auxilia mod. Just a heads up

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I love height advantage.

I lost 6 troops in that battle, even though I had only a few more men. All were to friendly fire.

I was amazed to learn that, with such a dramatic height difference, the first slinger volley killed the enemy general.

This battle was in northwest Britannia. Is this as steep as slopes in the game can get?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 21, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Man, the Seleucid roster is full to the point of redundancy. Greek and Eastern slingers? Come on.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
goddamn Seleucid civil war! Luckily my standby army of second-rate units and mercenaries was prepositioned at the capital.

I've never lost/killed so many armoured elephants in a battle. I lost three (plus two un-armoured units), the enemy lost three. Running into streets full of Shield Bearers and Silver Shield Pikes was an interesting experience, probably the best city-fight I've had in Rome II. It may have been because there were a bunch of armies entering the city to reinforce it, but there was definately a sense of having to fight street-by-street.

Had to fight a city defense a turn later (which was the standard boiling oil party, except with elephants). The war has already done lasting damage in that it automatically cancelled all my trade agreements, placing me at -5000 income, and now no-one wants to re-sign them. :saddowns: I've bumped taxes to max and am still at -1700 or so. I've got a few turns, so hopefully things will even out before I need to start down-sizing my armies.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

xzzy posted:

I've been messing around with these 40v40 battles and I've even tried turning every setting as low as possible. The game just doesn't seem capable of handling that many units. I've been reading the total war support forums and it seems like people with absolute monster systems are still getting destroyed by 40 v 40.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
How do you figure out what to build in your provinces? I've got a game going on with the Arverni but i dont really know what to look for besides 'build slave pens for war dogs' when it comes to building stuff in provinces. I got some armies and still make money but its more due to dumb luck than any kind of strategic thinking.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Charlie Mopps posted:

How do you figure out what to build in your provinces? I've got a game going on with the Arverni but i dont really know what to look for besides 'build slave pens for war dogs' when it comes to building stuff in provinces. I got some armies and still make money but its more due to dumb luck than any kind of strategic thinking.

Just be sure to place a temple and a government building in the province capital, fill the rest with food or whatever. Shouldn't be hard since you're a barbarian faction. Other than that you can probably get by with just building level 2 military buildings in the smaller settlements and then occasionally tearing 'em down and rebuilding closer to your current frontier.

e: Christ, once you get rolling with the Seleucids you are SWIMMING in cash from all the completed missions. I completed two tiers in one turn. :psyduck:

e2: I've started trading with everyone and generally being a really swell country and everyone LOVES me. To the point where I can't attack anyone in my vicinity. Guess I have to set my sights on Rome...

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 21, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

3 Tablets Daily posted:

I've been messing around with these 40v40 battles and I've even tried turning every setting as low as possible. The game just doesn't seem capable of handling that many units. I've been reading the total war support forums and it seems like people with absolute monster systems are still getting destroyed by 40 v 40.

I did an 80v80 multiplayer game and none of us had any problems at all. Maybe it's the AI calculations?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

3 Tablets Daily posted:

I don't know about everyone else but in my experience the real slowdown comes when your troops actually engage. I'm not running on a monster system or anything, but until I actually have my battle-line engage theirs things run at a decent but not great clip. Unless there are a bunch of ships. God that'll slow the game to a crawl quick.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

3 Tablets Daily posted:

By 40 v 40 do you mean two full stacks on each side? I have done this--the first time I tried to fight it out I got my only CTD since they've began fixing it but it worked fine the second time with everything on Ultra or Max or whatever.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do you guys reckon it's possible to stir the AI in blobbing up (I got Radious' food mod so they won't starve) by donating, say, 40k worth of talents on them? I find myself in the annoying position of having to use Normal so that everyone won't declare war on me right at start, but everyone's forming alliance blocs or getting into stalemates instead.

Greece is really tough to play in. Even with my slightly boosted army caps, I'm stretching my finances and ability to project power through armies and navies. I'm only making do through extensive use of defensive stances and baiting the enemy. Even when they don't mindlessly rush at the capture points, I'm pretty sure that double-stacked pikemen surrounding the mouth of the fort can straight-up beat any army that isn't fielding ridiculous amounts of ranged firepower.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Do you guys reckon it's possible to stir the AI in blobbing up (I got Radious' food mod so they won't starve) by donating, say, 40k worth of talents on them? I find myself in the annoying position of having to use Normal so that everyone won't declare war on me right at start, but everyone's forming alliance blocs or getting into stalemates instead.

I've tried this by giving random podunk factions 100k and it doesn't seem to do much of anything. I don't know what they spend that cash on but it sure as poo poo isn't expansion.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Buildings and mercenaries, mainly.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
My friend and I are having a hell of a good time in our multiplayer campaign. I picked up Egypt, and he took the Seleucids; as they are the two closest factions who have plenty of room to expand without bothering each other, we thought this would be a good deal. Unfortunately, the first time I invaded another country and invited him to the war, every single one of his satrapies declined to join and declared war on him. Oops. To make matters worse, the Eastern factions all created enormous entangling alliances, pulling even more enemies into the war. We've taken to calling it World War 0.

At first we figured it would be no big deal as in the past being at war with enemies who were far away did not seem to matter, and he took out Mesopotamia in relatively short order. Apparently this was a mistake as now each of the Eastern factions is sending wave after wave of maxed out armies into his territory from every angle. Both he and I are fending them off, and both of us have lost entire armies just trying to maintain the border. We'd love to go on the offense, but that's just not possible at the moment.

God these patches have improved the game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Wallet posted:

You'll need to use PFM. The table you want to change for faction uniforms is faction_uniform_colours_tables. If you meant some other kind of faction color (their map color, I believe, among others), then you want factions_tables. Both of them are in data_rome2.pack (you'll want to extract the tables in question then add them to a new mod).

Thanks! And I know this is super easy to do but I'm really proud of myself now

:kimchi:

Now what do I need to do to edit the faction icon? :v:
Something in the tables said it's in data\ui\flags but I can't see how to access that folder~

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
I think everyone(including myself) underestimates just how far east the campaign map goes. In my Macedon campaign, I thought I'd make a quick stop in the middle east to take out the Seleucids and have been mired in wars in that area for the last 100 turns. Factions have risen and fallen, alliances forged and broken but I'm still only halfway done.

Incidentally, what are the counters to full stacks of elite mounted archers(with a few spearmen thrown in)? I've tried a full stack of melee cavalry but that went disastrously.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ I definitely did. It just keeps going East, way further than Rome I. The West half of the map is pretty much the same as Rome I, maybe a tiny bit more Africa. But the East just keeps going and going...

Koramei posted:

Something in the tables said it's in data\ui\flags but I can't see how to access that folder~

I'm not sure if that's more Easter theme or :catdrugs:

The soldiers are so extremely contrasted, the rest of the scene looks practically black & white.

I figure you're probably just doing a test, and so used very vivid colors to be apparent? Or are you just having a laugh? :haw:

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009
Horse Skirmishers are good against unarmoured Horse Archers but I haven't had enough experience against the heavier varieties.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

jneer posted:

I think everyone(including myself) underestimates just how far east the campaign map goes. In my Macedon campaign, I thought I'd make a quick stop in the middle east to take out the Seleucids and have been mired in wars in that area for the last 100 turns. Factions have risen and fallen, alliances forged and broken but I'm still only halfway done.

Incidentally, what are the counters to full stacks of elite mounted archers(with a few spearmen thrown in)? I've tried a full stack of melee cavalry but that went disastrously.

That went disastrously? Melee cav should be able to outkill even those armoured horse archers, unless you're sending trash units at them.

You could take the opposite route and run with a giant stack of hoplites or something similarly armoured. Then again, I don't know how much AP damage those elite horse archers toss out.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That went disastrously? Melee cav should be able to outkill even those armoured horse archers, unless you're sending trash units at them.

You could take the opposite route and run with a giant stack of hoplites or something similarly armoured. Then again, I don't know how much AP damage those elite horse archers toss out.

I'm using Thessalian cavalry. The problem is armored horse archers aren't all that bad in melee and any unit not engaged in melee is turning your troops into pincushions. It's not that I can't win against these armies, but the Dahae are the first faction to have caused me the loss of two stacks of units.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The armoured horse archers we get to use as Parthia aren't very good in melee, but a couple of the unplayable factions get ridiculously strong ones that will out-melee all but the best cavalry in the game.

I'm not sure there is a strong counter, really. There wasn't a reliable one in history. Try using massed slingers or archers and running them behind a spear line or something; at the very least we can take advantage of the AI not using them properly.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure if that's more Easter theme or :catdrugs:

The soldiers are so extremely contrasted, the rest of the scene looks practically black & white.

I figure you're probably just doing a test, and so used very vivid colors to be apparent? Or are you just having a laugh? :haw:

It was meant to be just a test but then I realised I really like how it looks.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Koramei posted:

It was meant to be just a test but then I realised I really like how it looks.

The irony is, if the people back then could have afforded the dyes and the pure white material to put it on, they totally would have liked how it looks too.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 21, 2013

Zabet
Jul 30, 2013

Rabhadh posted:

Hey Zabet, you forgot to include War Dogs for everybody in your latest auxilia mod. Just a heads up

Yeah well, they're still utterly broken, since no one can actually target the dogs. I lost a unit of either royal thorax or galatian royal guard to a single flock of wardogs a while back and well... yeah. If you want them, construction permissions are still there, they only need to be added back into units.to.groupings.blah.blah. Rom_War_Dogs is the unit id.

I've been meaning to play around with them and see if I could throw in a feature like run amok or something to make them less of a roving death band, but: lazy.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Man, the Seleucid roster is full to the point of redundancy. Greek and Eastern slingers? Come on.

I think at some point in the development, CA wanted to tie greek/eastern recruitment to the prevailing culture of a province, but didn't actually finish the deal. Between the eastern palace chain and the abundance of 'likes easterners' traits, changing culture back and forth between eastern and hellenic is pretty easy.

jneer posted:

+ Thessalian cavalry

I seems like you're running into the new heavy shot ability on some horse archers, which will tear through anything with its 8 AP. If you can get good foot archers, that's probably the only solid counter, since you'll have more range and bows for every unit.

And Thessalian cavalry are shock cav, not melee cav. They've got pretty low armor and no shield, so they're going to get hit a lot by the arrow fire. I think you'd be better off with citizen cav, maybe mix in some tarantine cavalry if you can (and if they can get close enough to throw javelins as the HA skirmish away)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Koramei posted:

There is a column in faction_tables for what icon path the faction will use for flags. This should allow you to swap the icon from a different faction easily, although for a custom one you'll have to design and place it correctly in the subfolders. I haven't tried it so no guarantees but it's a place to start.

Also, for the campaign map, make sure your changing all 3 of these or else you'll see areas left in the old schemes:

faction_banners
faction_uniform_colors
factions

Those 3 should cover absolutely everything except the icon in the starting campaign screen, but changing that is not really worth the effort since 1. it's likely just an image file without the masking and 2. you see it for all of 8 seconds when starting a new campaign.

-----

Here's a version of the food mod updated for patch 5. I'm not sure if it needed to be but I did it anyway. Changed the name to accommodate for those instances where the mod manager wasn't reading spaced names (didn't have that problem).

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php?file_id=07706990302701268882&t=0770699030270126888209932

As stated, this doesn't touch squalor or any of the building chains, it just gives the AI a bunch of surplus food, greatly reducing the chances of them starving garrisons/armies out of existence. They will still attrit in mountains and/or when they have zero provinces.

Also, something else of interest:

This is a Pictones army from my current Rome game that is completely unmodded outside some specific changes I've made to the Romans + the food mod.

Looking past the AI killing themselves in the mountains (and my spies poisoning them :v:), they've fielded Onagers, Oathsworn, a tier 2 spear uint, and noble horses completely unassisted, which is telling me one thing: The current AI can build good armies just fine if they had the buildings/money available to them. I'm tempted to go in and remove all excess building trees from a faction that don't provide units (while streamlining the income and food/squalor systems in the remaining choices) so that the AI is forced to build things that will provide it with good unit slection. Right now, I think the biggest problem the AI face is that far too often they have buildings like reservoirs or goldsmiths in place of horse stables/barracks/etc, and greatly limit themselves in unit variation.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 21, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Oh man, tried a game as Epirus and it's completely true, everyone hates you and wants you deader than dead.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jneer posted:

I think part of it is that the minimap is zoomed-in by default, making the world seem smaller than it really is. I didn't realize you could zoom it out (revealing a huge expanse of even more map) until I started a game as the Seleucids (having only played as western factions before) and noticed that the minimap seemed to be showing me a different part of the world than I was used to.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Someone posted an online version of the encyclopedia in the last thread (http://dsi0fanyw80ls.cloudfront.net/) but it seems to be making GBS threads its pants lately. Anyone know of another one somewhere?

Mazz posted:

Looking past the AI killing themselves in the mountains (:v:), they've fielded Onagers, Oathsworn, a tier 2 spear uint, and noble horses completely unassisted, which is telling me one thing: The AI will build good armies just fine if they had the buildings/money available to them. I'm tempted to go in and remove all excess building trees from a faction that don't provide units while streamlining the income and food/squalor systems in the remaining choices so that the AI is forced to build things that will provide it with strong unit choices. Right now, I think the biggest problem the AI face is that far too often they have buildings like reservoirs or goldsmiths in place of horse stables/barracks/etc, and greatly limit themselves in variation.

I keep meaning to mess with cai_base_building_context_values to make all of the buildings a player would never touch have a much lower value to see if the AI actually gives a poo poo about that table, but :effort:. If you wanted to get rid of them entirely I think you could just edit cai_construction_system_templates_junctions.

As far as I can tell the AI just had templates for what it should build in any given province based on a randomly selected personality, the massive difference between those personalities in how many military provinces they build explains why some factions are wet paper towels. It also seems kind of dumb, given the number of tiny little nations the game starts out with, that they aren't set up to really build military poo poo in their capitals.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 21, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

jneer posted:

I'm using Thessalian cavalry. The problem is armored horse archers aren't all that bad in melee and any unit not engaged in melee is turning your troops into pincushions. It's not that I can't win against these armies, but the Dahae are the first faction to have caused me the loss of two stacks of units.

Those guys are shock cav you're losing out on their main strength because it's hard to charge horse archers. Try it out with citizen or Median cavalry. Maybe keep one or two unit of Thessalians just to draw them into melee.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding when you said armoured elephant general is OP! I had my stack attack 2 others, my soldiers were slightly better but they had advantage in cavalry and missile troops. I rushed all my forces and general racked around 900 kills. One unit was responsible for half enemy casualties and massive chain rout that ensued. My losses were below 100 dudes.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

alex314 posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding when you said armoured elephant general is OP! I had my stack attack 2 others, my soldiers were slightly better but they had advantage in cavalry and missile troops. I rushed all my forces and general racked around 900 kills. One unit was responsible for half enemy casualties and massive chain rout that ensued. My losses were below 100 dudes.
Jedi Generals are back, and they're riding epic mounts.

Man, not even in EB were elephants this unstoppable. You'd think a ton of little dudes getting swings in with their swords would eventually cut an elephant down by hacking at its legs.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Zabet posted:

I think at some point in the development, CA wanted to tie greek/eastern recruitment to the prevailing culture of a province, but didn't actually finish the deal. Between the eastern palace chain and the abundance of 'likes easterners' traits, changing culture back and forth between eastern and hellenic is pretty easy.

That seem absolutely possible, but I also think that the DLC dev team simply didn't talk to the main game dev team or the patch team at all. The fact that the Selucid unit stats are simply off compared to the basic nations tells me they were given stats based on some original outdated design guidelines instead of the current post-patch paradigm.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Olive Branch posted:

Jedi Generals are back, and they're riding epic mounts.

Man, not even in EB were elephants this unstoppable. You'd think a ton of little dudes getting swings in with their swords would eventually cut an elephant down by hacking at its legs.

Elephants are scary. Personally I'd have them do more morale damage and give them some more armor (for armored elephants) and lower their HP, but that's just me.

Zabet
Jul 30, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

That seem absolutely possible, but I also think that the DLC dev team simply didn't talk to the main game dev team or the patch team at all. The fact that the Selucid unit stats are simply off compared to the basic nations tells me they were given stats based on some original outdated design guidelines instead of the current post-patch paradigm.

Which units do you mean? I was going to spin through the db and see about putting in the culture bias for recruitment. Wouldn't be much of a thing to massage some stats at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wallet posted:

Someone posted an online version of the encyclopedia in the last thread (http://dsi0fanyw80ls.cloudfront.net/) but it seems to be making GBS threads its pants lately. Anyone know of another one somewhere?

Nope, and when I lost that link it took me freakin' forever to google properly and find it again.

I can't believe why they didn't post a link to it officially. :ughh: Seriously they've got a whole wiki with information on each faction, but it tells you basically nothing. Why would they even do that? Especially when somebody else can just come along and mirror the encyclopedia, since its already formatted as HTML. There's literally 0 effort to do so. What, do they think its cheating?! But you have access to it IN-GAME. So do they think that's just something you should have to buy to earn? You can't see the units before you buy, lest you might change your mind?!? :psyduck:

• Locked thread