Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:siren: Generous Goon-supplied dedicated servers here! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3b9e_KWO-I&hd=1

What the hell is Space Engineers?

If the above video wasn't enough, this should explain it: It's currently a singleplayer, soon to be multiplayer, space-based sandbox similar to Starmade or Blockade Runner brought to you by the same people responsible for Miner Wars (whether that's a selling point is up to you). Using LEGO-like blocks, you can create your own ship designs (or shamelessly rip-off Homeworld), fly them around, and crash them into the nearest asteroid all while thoroughly enjoying the deformation effects that cause ships to crumble, obliterate, and slowly drift into space as wrecks.

The game website describes it as so:

quote:

Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.
Space Engineers utilizes a realistic volumetric-based physics engine: all objects can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed.

Is it deep?

Somewhat. I'm no expert in how ships should handle in space, but preservation of momentum is there (as long as you cut the engines, otherwise the ship will slow itself to a halt automatically). There's no such thing as electrical wiring or piping (power travels through blocks), but I believe it's on the to-do list. There doesn't seem to be a issue with over-working reactors yet, though there is a fuel meter measured in days. Ships with greater mass and not enough thrusters will accelerate slowly, while ships that are just an engine with a cockpit will disappear from view in an instant.

What state is the game in?

As of 14th March 2014, multiplayer survival mode is now available alongside creative mode. The mode is a bit bare at the moment and acts as a slower creative mode, in that you must mine for ores and refine them into ingots before processing them into more complicated construction components (or just hand grinding them from another ship), then welding them all together. It provides a good showing of the direction the game will take, however as with everything in this alpha it is still quite buggy. Be prepared for frequent lag spikes and desynchronisation between hosts and clients, especially during explosions/ship damage.

One of the most important changes in Survival is that engine exhausts now cause damage to anything in their cone, so stacking engines right behind each other will end up in big badaboom.

As of writing most blocks available to build now work, including the medical room, refinery, assembler, ore detector and beacon. The antenna/radar system currently does not work, and capital ship combat does not yet exist. The Dev's have said they don't plan to introduce oxygen management/ice mining however the game already has a quite active modding community who have already created weapons for large ships, and a variety of cosmetic and useful new block types.

The devs have a useful video introducing survival mode. Alternatively, resident engineer metasynthetic wrote up some neat tips and tricks:

metasynthetic posted:

I played around with survival mode for a few hours, and for anyone looking for a challenging but not grueling go of it, I'd recommend the Survival Boat start (I think, it's the yellow lifeboat), and at least 3x survival speed. I tried the crashed red ship twice, but both times it was damaged in the same way and had no refinery or assembler. You'd have to deconstruct what's on the ship - I'm not entirely sure if they even have everything you'd need to make those 2 items, but even if so there's also no storage that I could find, so you either would have to build a cargo container (not as cheap as you'd think, stealing components from the other 2 things), or just let stuff float free and hope it doesn't drift off or despawn.

The lifeboat is a large ship, and starts with 1 refinery and assembler. The default processing times for anything past iron or stone is just depressingly slow at 1x speed (which I've tried for a few hours), so I think 3x is okay for a challenge that's not boring or 10x if you want something more akin to Minecraft pacing.

First priority should be to find a source of uranium, otherwise you can run dry and have no way to recover. It's shiny and black. Deposits can be under the surface as well - get close enough in your spacesuit (I think you need the hand drill equipped but I could be mistaken) and you'll get targeting reticles for the 3 (or so) closest deposits. The universe I started in spawned an asteroid that was hollow, with the entire interior covered in every kind of metal, if you can find one of those you're set.

You don't automatically pick up the ores you mine with the drill - they fly off as rocks you have to grab with T. There's also 'phantom' rocks that look like ore but are just effects - only the ones that stick around for more the 5 seconds are real. I found 2 good methods to deal with this:

1) drill in from the surface and then go horizontal, makes it harder for the ores to fly off into space.
2) get your ship close enough or expand your gravity field so that the ore falls 'down' towards the hole you're digging.

After that, the second priority should be to build a small ship that's just a flying ship drill. Ship drills automatically pick up the majority of the ore mined, and do it far faster than you can by hand. Bare minimum here is fine - drill, cockpit, 6 thrusters, landing gear, 1 gyro and small reactor is plenty. Maybe spotlights.

To build this, you'll need a little bit of almost everything apart from magnesium and silver if I recall right. I found myself most consistently short on platinum, nickel, and cobalt. You can speed this along by deconstructing a few blocks on your starting ship - grinding down 1 of the rear starter boat thrusters provides more than enough components for all your small thrusters, plus some extra steel plates / components for other parts.

After that, I found the main bottleneck was refinery speed (on 1x) - and they're super expensive. 1200 steel plates to start, plus 10 - 80 of other more advanced components. I built 2 and was almost done with a third before I decided I would rather restart on a higher speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5PgmvtRHZU&hd=1

What does it cost?

$24.99

ijyt fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Goddamnit not another early alpha sandbox space game. They're gonna bankrupt me at this rate.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The way to not get bankrupt by early access games is to wait for them to actually be games before putting money down. I really like the way that trailer looks, but buying just for singleplayer creative mode would mean getting more anxious about future releases than getting enjoyment out of the game as-it-is. Especially considering that there is a free alternative already in our hands.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The knowledge that the game is being developed by some of the people behind Miner Wars doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm. Miner Wars was an utter train wreck and funnily enough I'm seeing alot of similarity in the videos between it and Space Engineers.

Will keep an eye out, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I know what you mean WMain00, as I'm an early adopter of Miner Wars myself. I followed Miner Wars for some time but did not realize it was developed by the very same people until the first 3h pre-buy window openend and I was redirected to the Miner Wars e-store. I almost skipped the game because of that but for some reason still ended up buying it. And I don't regret it.

The flight physics feel solid and building stuff comes rather natural. The impact/damage physics are realy impressive and though the actual space-rock mining part is still missing from the current build it's one of the only things that somewhat worked in Miner Wars, even though it was more of a gimmick in that game. All in all, though I'm limited to a early minecraft like creative mode, I'm already having a blast creating giant and small crafts and hammering them into each other. And while Starmade still has the edge over Space Engineer because it already has a working multiplayer, I realy hope that SE will outclass it in this cause it just looks and feels like the more promising game.

unrelated pictures to make the thread more fabulous.

space hotrod and cockpit view of the space hot-rod firing his downward thrusters

my little explorator vessel after a collision with one of my space hot-rods.

unlike the little fast bugger that has its parts now drift lazily across the stars, the explorator is still fully functional, though a little slower to maneuvre.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
They released an alpha tutorial video, looks promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHk6L0zNB6U&hd=1

Kakarot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 21, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's a shame there's no letter in Greek before alpha.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yodzilla posted:

It's a shame there's no letter in Greek before alpha.

To be fair this is what real alphas are.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

To be fair this is what real alphas are.

Yea, looks like people expect too much from alphas these days. It doesnt look bad at all for an alpha.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I've enjoyed the hell out of this so far. Except for some odd placement rules, it seems really solid to me. I look forward to the weapons being activated and some sort of enemy spawn to use them on. Space creepers or not-zerg or something.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This game is really pretty looking. I also hope they get some sort of 'game' in soon. Probably won't be buying it just for creative. But man it just looks so much better than the other Minecraft clones out there.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The alpha will be available on Early Access in just a few minutes, and the devs released this video of community creations (quite a few from Facepunch). One of mine even got in there, and I didn't even post it on their official forums. So it seems like they read other forums and sites for feedback, which is a good sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIVNkfs7Q4k&hd=1

ijyt fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 23, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
I love how a good amount of those were just people creating gravity slingshots with the artificial gravity generators.

Also, the hit detection in this seems very good, few of those builds were separate constructions that were slotted into one another, very cool. Though I can see the fact that parts deform under stress would cause those to break pretty fast.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Nice, the Interior of my Space-Cigar got into it too (0:56-57). Wish they had announced they were collecting media from the community, I'd probably bothered to create some nicer screens (or maybe even a video) for the express purpose of looking awesome instead of posting random garbage on the steam forums.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Enzer posted:

Though I can see the fact that parts deform under stress would cause those to break pretty fast.

Right now, sure, as there's only light armor available. Eventually they'll be heavier armor types, that will probably withstand stress better.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
I know a lot of loosely Minecraft-inspired games have been coming out lately, but this one really blows my mind. I can see myself playing this forever.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

It's highly entertaining, even though it's just single player right now. I hope they're able to catch up to Starmade as far as scale and multiplayer, I fully intend to put up a server for this.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
I don't blame people for being wary of the guys that made Miner Wars but this feels pretty solid so far. Obviously it lacks many features but what is there looks and plays very nicely. It's a less developed StarMade with good physics and graphics.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This Reddit User here is compiling stuff right now. Apparently the developers are deleting critical steam forum posts as we speak and banning users asking questions.
As someone mentioned, it is giving the War Z-vibe.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1p2uuf/my_opinion_on_the_developers_of_space_engineers/

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vahakyla posted:

This Reddit User here is compiling stuff right now. Apparently the developers are deleting critical steam forum posts as we speak and banning users asking questions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1p2uuf/my_opinion_on_the_developers_of_space_engineers/

What types of threads are they deleting? Is it not essentially very early constructive mode Minecraft right now? Games looks neat but if there are more deep issues than 'its not finished' then I don't see any issues with it being incomplete.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I am trying to figure it out right now. From what I can gather now, apparently "Miner WarZ" was abandoned and they hopped into this game. Any post asking questions about this gets deleted and user banned. A lovely predecessor and a developer who was already known for randomly banning people he didn't like for their opinion?

I bought it. And yeah, seems okay and I am truly inspired by this and looks pretty much like the game I have been hoping for, especially with perma-MP.
But... the vibes man, the vibes.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Vahakyla posted:

It seems like people are having a hard time differentiating between companies like PGI who go around deleting well-articulated constructive criticism and these guys who are nuking whiny shitposts that the game is incomplete.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

crabcakes66 posted:

It seems like people are having a hard time differentiating between companies like PGI who go around deleting well-articulated constructive criticism and these guys who are nuking whiny shitposts that the game is incomplete.

No not really because demanding constructive criticism and deleting everything else is a pretty infantile developer reaction. Criticism isn't required to come with an itemized list of the game ideas the critic wants to implement because they're not the developer. Criticism is strictly there to say, "I didn't like this aspect."

Considering that the developer has a history of this and the forums that I skimmed is full of people pulling out the tired old "It's only an alpha!" defense and calling everyone a troll is a huge red flag that's warding me off from the game, because those defensive posts are just as lovely and non-constructive as the ones they're deleting.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If this game will at all have a team vs team objective-based persistent multiplayer where you can save blueprints and be able to work together operating large warships I may not ever need any other game.

I really don't care about how a developer runs their forum as long as their product is fun; when Garry's Mod was still just a neat little HL2 mod (before V7 or 8, whichever one introduced lua scripting) you could get permabanned for not using proper grammar, let alone making a critical post. Did that make the game any less fun? No.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 24, 2013

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

If this game will at all have a team vs team objective-based persistent multiplayer where you can save blueprints and be able to work together operating large warships I may not ever need any other game.

I really don't care about how a developer runs their forum as long as their product is fun; when Garry's Mod was still just a neat little HL2 mod (before V7 or 8, whichever one introduced lua scripting) you could get permabanned for not using proper grammar, let alone making a critical post. Did that make the game any less fun? No.

The problem is less how they're treating their forum and more that they haven't seemed to learn from their mistakes. One of those mistakes was leaving the game in a shoddy state, so while I'm hopeful that the game will be fun at one point in time (the reason I'm following this thread and the development), this kind of puts a damper on my expectations and lets me know not to drop any cash until it's developed to the point I think it's worth the money as is.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Might as well take Reddit posts with a grain of salt, I've seen poo poo blown way out of proportion.

zennik posted:

It's highly entertaining, even though it's just single player right now. I hope they're able to catch up to Starmade as far as scale and multiplayer, I fully intend to put up a server for this.

Haven't played Starmade, so I'm not sure what scale it's at (I'm assuming Minecraft vastness), and while the current 50km3 isn't anywhere near, the dev is experimenting with bigger http://forums.keenswh.com/post/experimental-support-for-much-larger-worlds-6585613?pid=1280033112

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Control Volume posted:

No not really because demanding constructive criticism and deleting everything else is a pretty infantile developer reaction. Criticism isn't required to come with an itemized list of the game ideas the critic wants to implement because they're not the developer. Criticism is strictly there to say, "I didn't like this aspect."

Considering that the developer has a history of this and the forums that I skimmed is full of people pulling out the tired old "It's only an alpha!" defense and calling everyone a troll is a huge red flag that's warding me off from the game, because those defensive posts are just as lovely and non-constructive as the ones they're deleting.

I honestly do not care enough to sit here and white knight a game developer. The bottom line is that the game is actually pretty good and should be judged on its own merits. Instead of those who have not even played it telling others it's bad and don't buy it because they don't like the developer.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

crabcakes66 posted:

I honestly do not care enough to sit here and white knight a game developer. The bottom line is that the game is actually pretty good and should be judged on its own merits. Instead of those who have not even played it telling others it's bad and don't buy it because they don't like the developer.

I'm pretty appreciative that people are willing to bring up a developer's history, and that even though they dislike the developer, they are courteous enough to detail why they don't like the developer so that I can judge for myself. Judging a game on its own merits is pretty spotty these days since everything is released as a perpetual alpha, and for me, the game's current merits do not justify the price. Indie alphas rarely do. Since indie alphas are almost entirely sold based on expectations, criticizing the developer is a perfectly rational thing to do.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Control Volume posted:

It is only an alpha though. I think the only criticism you can level at it is maybe "you shouldn't have charged money for it yet". It's an alpha, not even a beta. You're supposed to mess around with the game and find bugs/crashes and report those, because it's obviously feature incomplete because it's an alpha. Maybe another criticism is the devs should have made it more clear "YOU ARE PAYING TO TEST poo poo IN OUR GAME"

Stupid reddit drama aside, I won't pay to pre-access this game, but it does look right up my alley. I'd probably reconsider if it was much cheaper or if it was more feature complete, but I don't mind waiting.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tornado Lazers posted:

It is only an alpha though. I think the only criticism you can level at it is maybe "you shouldn't have charged money for it yet". It's an alpha, not even a beta. You're supposed to mess around with the game and find bugs/crashes and report those, because it's obviously feature incomplete because it's an alpha. Maybe another criticism is the devs should have made it more clear "YOU ARE PAYING TO TEST poo poo IN OUR GAME"

Stupid reddit drama aside, I won't pay to pre-access this game, but it does look right up my alley. I'd probably reconsider if it was much cheaper or if it was more feature complete, but I don't mind waiting.

The problem is I could pull out "It's only an alpha that's why it's not feature complete!" right here and be a spot on representation of most people using the defense. These games sell themselves on potential, countering people's reluctance to depend on that potential with "It's an alpha!" is a trite argument that gets abused to absurd degrees in prereleases like this. Yeah they're technically correct, it is an alpha, but it's still not worth the price.

The bigger problem is that "It's an alpha!" often becomes a shield through which no criticism can penetrate.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Control Volume posted:

The bigger problem is that "It's an alpha!" often becomes a shield through which no criticism can penetrate.

Do you have any criticism of the game itself?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

crabcakes66 posted:

Do you have any criticism of the game itself?

No, I'm just here saying why I'm holding off buying it, while also criticizing the nature of which people reject criticism in games.

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax
As someone who just became aware of this today and had no prior knowledge of Miner Wars I was happily surprised with what I got. It's pretty rough around the edges but all I was looking for was a thing to build ships and it does that pretty well. I guess I'm pretty happy with it so far and I figure it can only get better. v:shobon:v

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I agree, the game simply looks too simplistic right now despite how cool the concept is. Wasn't Minecraft free for a long time? I know Kerbal Space Program was, and they follow similar development styles. I might pay $3 or even $5 for early access, but not what amounts to full retail price (for an indie game) in the state it is currently in. Charging that much money is a dumb move in my opinion, if the current build were free and the multiplayer update was paid, it'd generate a lot more buzz/interest.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Minecraft was free, but they switched to $15 for creative mode only early in development too, which had even less features and polish than Space Engineers has right now. So if you want to compare it to early Minecraft, Space Engineer wins easily... still bought it and did not regret it, which is a statement that is currently true for both titles.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This is currently right behind Arkham Origins on the Steam top sellers right now.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Control Volume posted:

No, I'm just here saying why I'm holding off buying it, while also criticizing the nature of which people reject criticism in games.

Oh so you're railing against nothing cool.

Alpha doesn't mean it's bulletproof to criticism, it's just a context you're supposed to look at the game with. If someone's problem with the game was "it's missing x,y, and z features" or "it crashes" or any number of things that the alpha exists to actually deal with, then yeah they're being dumb babies and nobody should care what they think. If it is crashing, try and figure out the exact circumstance that makes it crash and submit some feedback to the devs with all your details instead of being a big dumb baby. If you don't like doing that kind of stuff, don't playtest a loving alpha.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Tornado Lazers posted:

Oh so you're railing against nothing cool.

Alpha doesn't mean it's bulletproof to criticism, it's just a context you're supposed to look at the game with. If someone's problem with the game was "it's missing x,y, and z features" or "it crashes" or any number of things that the alpha exists to actually deal with, then yeah they're being dumb babies and nobody should care what they think. If it is crashing, try and figure out the exact circumstance that makes it crash and submit some feedback to the devs with all your details instead of being a big dumb baby. If you don't like doing that kind of stuff, don't playtest a loving alpha.

While I agree with what you're saying it's downright insane that a developer can charge people for playtesting their game. It's a terrible business practice that needs to go away.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Reason posted:

What types of threads are they deleting? Is it not essentially very early constructive mode Minecraft right now? Games looks neat but if there are more deep issues than 'its not finished' then I don't see any issues with it being incomplete.

Exactly, why are people expecting a fully polished game if its only alpha/early access?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Sooo.. I'm seeing evidence of people talking about their posts and threads being deleted, but nothing about the content of said posts and threads. I mean, yeah they should maybe be a little more careful because of the backlash they got with their last game. However honestly what posts I have seen all seem to be people dredging up their last game and bitching and moaning that because of the state of Space Engineers (being a newly released Alpha, and an actual Alpha that, not your normal "Indie Alpha) then obviously it is going to be as bad if not worse than the last game because "reasons" and "They had DRM, they should have learned from Diablo III (wtf)" and in general it all feels a lot like "they hurt my feelings in the past" moaning. :psyduck:

If that is what the majority of the posts that are being removed are about then I don't see a problem with that since it appears to be more people who feel burned by their last game trying to make petty attacks on the developers to sink their new game.

This might be another Fez with a jackass dev making a pretty good game, it might be another game with a Notch PR moment when he got pissed off at the Yogscast about supposed cussing when in his interview with them the same day he made jerking off motions and told Simon/Lewis that he hosed their mom. Honestly, whatever, I can deal with dickhead devs if they are able to make a decent game in the long run (its when they turn into sexist/raciest/bigots that I tend to not want to fund them personally). But that really doesn't seem to be the case here.

Still, game is still waaaay to early in development and they need to show actual improvements by the time it hits "beta" before I will personally buy the game since they do have to prove they are serious this time around because of the quality of their past work.

---
Huh, it seems that the only posts that are being deleted are on the steam forums and its the steam forums community leaders that are doing the deleting, not the devs. :munch:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 24, 2013

• Locked thread