Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

The company is somewhat shady, as is its lead. Also, bulding tech demos like this is considerably easier than a full game. And as we have witnessed here, most are at the "cool gimmick but nothing to do for now"-phase in the game.

I mean, I am eagerly waiting for MP, too. But I'd caution people to not buy this. There is just not a lot to do after some while and there are plenty of rumors of bad juju in the air.

Honestly, from how many videos they're releasing talking about how to build ships? It seems like they're *really* excited about the game, and are loving this. I believe what happened with Miner Wars is that they ran out of money and had to slap it together. Honestly, I like Miner Wars. I can't figure out how the gently caress to play it, but I like it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

E-Tank posted:

Honestly, I like Miner Wars. I can't figure out how the gently caress to play it, but I like it. :v:

Same here. I mean, at least I got a playable game out of my pre-order, and not Ride to Hell: Retribution. I just didn't get what I expected. v:shobon:v

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
To clarify, I did not mean that it looks certain for this to fail.
There is promise and more so than with Miner Wars.

There are also bad indicators and not a lotta game either.
I can easily now recommend that no, do not buy the game if you still are on the fence. Wait a bit.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah, this is exciting tech, but it's definitely prudent to give it a little time. Probably won't be long before they add MP, and at that point imo $15 is worth the space demolition derby potential.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Vahakyla posted:

Then it is decided. Our alliance is forged.

We shall make enough dickships to blot out the heavens themselves.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

Then it is decided. Our alliance is forged.

We shall make enough dickships to blot out the heavens themselves.

Our dickships are the dickships that will pierce the heavens!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Not sure why this keeps being said, as it's clearly an alpha. Not sure what bad indicators you're getting from the game either. So, what sort of features do you expect from an unfinished product?

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
I am a bit surprised that no one still haven't build WTC Twin Towers on asteroid and crashed couple planes in them.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Aydjile posted:

I am a bit surprised that no one still haven't build WTC Twin Towers on asteroid and crashed couple planes in them.

Because that's a loving horrible thing to do. And not in the funny way, either.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

You're right. It's gotta have something like Yakety Sax in the background for it to work.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

To each his own :rolleyes:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

I can easily now recommend that no, do not buy the game if you still are on the fence. Wait a bit.

This game is already showing way more progress than Star Citizen, and I only had to spend $15.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

CountingWizard posted:

This game is already showing way more progress than Star Citizen, and I only had to spend $15.

I want to be excited about Star Citizen but every time I go into that thread it's a ton of people throwing gobs of money at a virtual hanger and a poo poo ton of concepts.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Star Citizen is going to redefine Ponzi schemes, instead of promising more money it's just promising more spaceships.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Star Citizen is going to redefine Ponzi schemes, instead of promising more money it's just promising more spaceships.

On the one hand, yeah. they've....got some crazy people buying hundred dollar internet spaceships, on the other, have you seen said loving internet spaceships?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

E-Tank posted:

On the one hand, yeah. they've....got some crazy people buying hundred dollar internet spaceships, on the other, have you seen said loving internet spaceships?

Conceptually yes

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You're right, it's not funny, it's hilarious.

Popete posted:

I want to be excited about Star Citizen but every time I go into that thread it's a ton of people throwing gobs of money at a virtual hanger and a poo poo ton of concepts.

Someone at work spend $700 on non-existant spaceships in Star Citizen, I was loving baffled.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
A new update!

quote:

Originally Posted by George.Mamakos
Update 01.004.011
Features

Inertial dampeners on a ship can be turned on/off - press key 'X' (when off, ship won't auto-decelerate)

Awesome! No more turning off gravity and all the lights to drift forever through the endless void! :buddy:

Or as another poster put it, "Now, when we get the Ship Weapons, we could fly backwards and shoot on our followers."

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

Or as another poster put it, "Now, when we get the Ship Weapons, we could fly backwards and shoot on our followers."

They don't have to be enemies either. :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sire Oblivion posted:

Someone at work spend $700 on non-existant spaceships in Star Citizen, I was loving baffled.

Oh thank christ it's not only me that's confused as hell about that game and the people who spend money on it.

I thought I was going mad and the sensible thing to do nowadays is spend hundreds of dollars on ideas for virtual spaceships in an game that won't be out for years.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Already infinitely better than StarForge (not to be confused with StarDrive) will ever be.

Arboris
Sep 22, 2013

So I thought I would make an interceptor with 2 power-plants combined with lots of engines, gyros and guns, going for functionality over form.

..It became something of a space hamburger.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I bought this thing a bit ago but only now really had the time to sit down and try it out. It is a little barebones, but it's got plenty of promise, too.

...I suppose it says something about how pants-on-head-retarded-massive the battlecruiser I started building is that you can just baarely fit the readymade big blue ship into the thing's underbelly assembly/large craft docking bay?

I mean, I have to be careful to not knock the comms antenna on top off, but IT FITS.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 2, 2013

Crash74
May 11, 2009

CountingWizard posted:

This game is already showing way more progress than Star Citizen

I don't loving get spending thousands of dollars on this, I mean what the Christ?!? :psypop:. What makes these ships better than the ones you will get free in the game? Also what is guaranteeing that it wont turn out like simcity and suck donkey balls?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crash74 posted:

I don't loving get spending thousands of dollars on this, I mean what the Christ?!? :psypop:. What makes these ships better than the ones you will get free in the game? Also what is guaranteeing that it wont turn out like simcity and suck donkey balls?

The collective power of a large group of people wanting justification for their actions combined with the psychology of the sunk cost fallacy?

Edit: Ok so this game is kinda fun to build ships in:

Album: http://imgur.com/a/W8Go6

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 4, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I really want there to be an actual reason for these big fancily-shaped designs, so that we actually see them in gameplay once it's no longer all creative mode.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ralith posted:

I really want there to be an actual reason for these big fancily-shaped designs, so that we actually see them in gameplay once it's no longer all creative mode.

Well structural soundness would make some interesting designs practical, obviously you could borg cube it and cover everything in a tonne of armour, but you could also put your important components in the centre, try to present a small profile (long thin ships may be useful here) and possibly using slanted armor to deflect incoming ships and weapons.

But yeah it'd depend on what kind of mechanics they put in. Angular deflection on bullet-type weapons would be a great investment as it'd make for some very interesting designs.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

OwlFancier posted:

But yeah it'd depend on what kind of mechanics they put in. Angular deflection on bullet-type weapons would be a great investment as it'd make for some very interesting designs.

Yeah I'd love to have angle of impact have an effect in ga-

:catstare:

(much like the real thing it's slow, unwieldy and can't take a hit)

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I think I'm starting to get the hang of this. I really hope/wish that they'll make a slightly...sleeker looking cockpit. I understand that you need to have it look fairly generic, but still.

How am I doing?

Arboris
Sep 22, 2013

E-Tank posted:

I really hope/wish that they'll make a slightly...sleeker looking cockpit

I'd love if they went Kerbal on this. More parts in general for the same function, and easily moddable so you can make your own parts.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Arboris posted:

I'd love if they went Kerbal on this. More parts in general for the same function, and easily moddable so you can make your own parts.
Agreed. I want to recolor ramps, I want ramp-corners and ramp-inverted corners to make ships pointer or rounder, I want pyramid noses for squares, I want multiple kinds of sensors - like, sure, you can make a dish-shaped ore sensor, but why not have a Jetsons-esque ball on a stick with some floating rings, or a big wobbly car antenna, or a fishing spear array of nodes?

Plus, more decorative/repeat parts would make doing big ship interiors easier.

I kind of hope they build blast doors or something like that; I hate making cargo ships either have a giant open hole or just pretend in my head that the back of the ship opens/closes.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Pretty much everything that's stock white is a placeholder and as of this update, can be modded.

The blast door work-around is making a specialized small ship but it's tedious to set up and operate (though still pretty cool) and only works within stationary objects like stations. If magnetized landing gear becomes a thing the small ship blast door could work on large ships.

Starmade's solution to "make doors of any size and shape" are plexidoors, single blocks that open and close whenever any other plexidoor touching it is activated. That isn't practical here, given SE's more realistic take of physics (doors should not simply disappear).

In other news, did they tweak new generated worlds this update? I think there's some new asteroids and ores present but I'm not entirely sure. There's one that's rainbow-colored!

Also with the inertia dampener toggle it is possible to get out a cockpit and wander on your ship so long as it has gravity. Getting off the ship while it is moving obviously is a terrible idea. Also accessing control panels on objects is glitched if the ship is moving fast (including trying to get back into the cockpit!!) but possible. Being able to process ores and assemble parts while in transit seems like it will be possible!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Literally Kermit posted:

Also with the inertia dampener toggle it is possible to get out a cockpit and wander on your ship so long as it has gravity. Getting off the ship while it is moving obviously is a terrible idea.

Why is it obviously a terrible idea? All that should matter is relative velocity.

e: VV So not obviously a terrible idea so much as a terrible idea due to stupid artificial limitations imposed by the game.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 5, 2013

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Ralith posted:

Why is it obviously a terrible idea? All that should matter is relative velocity.

Which your jetpack kills the instant it is activated. And it activates as soon as you fall out of your ship's gravity field. Your ship, however, continues on its course forever.

Sail on, Dickship-One. You were too beautiful to keep to just one sector of space. :unsmith:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So I got a bit brave, and decided to try a large project of some sort. A ship inspired by the Star Destroyers of Star Wars. Not entirely original. Unfortunately I hit a snag. Namely, I suck at imagining dimensions.

So instead of the elongated V shape, I ended up with this.

To get a better idea of sizes here, This is my own personal little ship that I built.

This is it on the star durrstroyer.

Though I am kind of proud about how I worked on the nose and the angles. I just wish I'd made a slightly steeper angle. Not sure what I'll do with it, maybe I'll turn it into a Morrigi ship of some sort.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rev up your carriers:

quote:

We have just added "magnetic landing gears" to Space Engineers. When landing gears are above a surface, press "P" and they will be attached to the surface. This way you can attach a small ship on a large ship, grab a ship, land your ship, connect two ships and more.
Additional info: Black color - not in proximity, Yellow - in proximity, Green - locked

Demonstration on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6F1F9CqLU&hd=1

Full list of features here:

Features
- added landing gears functionality
- minor changes in Steam Workshop UI
- updated help screen
- added confirm dialog when setting controls to defaults
- added translators to Credits

Fixes
- fixed problem in Toolbar Config when adding custom block
- fixed texts in HUD

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

ijyt posted:

Rev up your carriers:

Well poo poo I need to get this now

Crash74
May 11, 2009

ijyt posted:

Rev up your carriers:

Need a plane block that does this, also boots. looks like it works good though.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

I may or may not be overdoing this thing.

No, that's not the blue cruiser off in the distance behind it - it's nestled INSIDE the skeleton, in the space that'll be the onboard refinery/assembly/large craft docking hangar. It's basically currently just a skeletal framework of struts that defines the basic form of the ship, and it's already up to 6,400 metric tons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

I may or may not be overdoing this thing.

No, that's not the blue cruiser off in the distance behind it - it's nestled INSIDE the skeleton, in the space that'll be the onboard refinery/assembly/large craft docking hangar. It's basically currently just a skeletal framework of struts that defines the basic form of the ship, and it's already up to 6,400 metric tons.

Nice work

The problem is going to be flying this thing since I don't think you can zoom out enough to fit it onto screen when you sit in the cockpit :v:

• Locked thread