Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Edit: And, gently caress you, Renard. "If he kills someone, there is no coming back." As if viloent battery of multiple victims is easy to sweep under the royal rug, but oh no, had he killed one, what would we ever tell the cops? (But we just let a veternarian gas bomb a crate of prisoners, so you know, we care about protocol here.)

I think he was more talking about the mental anguish it would cause Nick. I'm sure Renard has swept more difficult things under the rug. I mean, he's been hiding wessen poo poo in his district for years.

Also, that restaurant, The Tippy Canoe, if loving AWESEOME! It's way out on the old Historic Highway and makes the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had. I used to counsel at a camp not far from it and every Saturday after the kids would go home we'd go eat there. Everything is made from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I like that the show uses actual real diseases, disorders and drugs to explain how the normal people accept what is happening around them. Also, with Hanks character, they explored what would happen if someone saw a werewolf (blutbad) but couldn't explain it away with one of those "normal" things.

I don't know if it's been discussed already, but I'm wondering if Grimms are just Wesens who don't change their outside appearance. They seem to posses some of the same characteristics in their ability to see other wesen's subtle changes, they have enhanced strength/abilities and it's passed down from parent to child.

Grimm seeing themselves as human would lead to them having kids with regular humans and diluting the gene pool, which would explain why not every child of Grimm is a Grimm themselves (genetics y'all). And because they don't change their outside appearance, Grimms never associate themselves to being anything other than human and see Wesen as dangerous monsters that must be killed. This leads to Wesen seeing Grimms as monsters and never thinking that Grimms could just be a confused Wesen.

After re-reading all that, I feel like I've thought about this topic way too much... oh well.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I like the show, but Zombie Nick isn't that interesting to follow, which made this episode a bit weak. I did like Baron Samedi not knowing how a Grimm would react, so Nick breaking out and his failure to obey was fun, but otherwise not that great. Coming into the season, I had been thinking that Nick would make it all the way to Europe and be stuck there for a couple episodes.

When they were all pledging to go get him I was like, "alright!". And then Monroe was going to call for 'some people' to come and join their merry band and I was like "beaver? alright :quagmire:" but zombie Nick had to go and ruin my imaginary plot by crashing in the woods near by civilization instead of in the ocean.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

When they were all pledging to go get him I was like, "alright!". And then Monroe was going to call for 'some people' to come and join their merry band and I was like "beaver? alright :quagmire:" but zombie Nick had to go and ruin my imaginary plot by crashing in the woods near by civilization instead of in the ocean.

Hah, I don't think even this show could have spun a plausible story of rescuing Nick from the clutches of the royals, on their home turf. I was glad that isn't happening.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Merlinicus posted:

Hah, I don't think even this show could have spun a plausible story of rescuing Nick from the clutches of the royals, on their home turf. I was glad that isn't happening.

It is beautiful :swoon:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Merlinicus posted:

Don't you dare take this away from me :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So is Monroe Shaggy or Scooby?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So is Monroe Shaggy or Scooby?

Yes

uptown
May 16, 2009
What a meh episode :geno:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I like how they confirmed Russell Hornsby's achilles tendon injury has fully healed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

spookygonk posted:

I like how they confirmed Russell Hornsby's achilles tendon injury has fully healed.

The way he planted his foot all confidently as he strolled into the station had me rolling pretty hard.

Personally I think zombie Nick was the best acting the guy has done thus far. :effort:

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Personally I think zombie Nick was the best acting the guy has done thus far. :effort:

Still ongoing! I want to see him eat the family he's stalking, but I somehow doubt that will happen.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

Edit: And, gently caress you, Renard. "If he kills someone, there is no coming back." As if viloent battery of multiple victims is easy to sweep under the royal rug, but oh no, had he killed one, what would we ever tell the cops? (But we just let a veternarian gas bomb a crate of prisoners, so you know, we care about protocol here.)

To be fair, it's a whole lot easier to write off a bar fight if nobody dies in it. You know, like, "Do you guys really want it on the public record that this dude walked into your house and kicked all your asses? We're sorry that Officer Burkhardt got slipped some PCP during his investigation and we understand if you want to press charges. Of course, that means we'll have to station officers here for your protection and that we'll have to fully investigate every part of your lives to make sure there wasn't some sort of provocation of Officer Burkhardt. Or we can just shake hands give you all a quick legal settlement with the city and cancel any outstanding warrants you might have. Deal? I thought so."

Now if somebody died in the fight (or later or Nick kills a family of three) it becomes much harder to sweep under the rug.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
New episode tonight. Let's hope it's an improvement on last week.

3x02 – “PTZD”
Monroe, Hank, Juliette and Rosalee continue their quest to cure Nick of the zombie plague before it's too late.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Let's hope it is even better than last weeks episode.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
At least now they know they can reverse the zombification after a period of time though I do worry about that family. Surely they wouldn't have the good guy lumber in and slaughter a family with kids, right?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Astrofig posted:

At least now they know they can reverse the zombification after a period of time though I do worry about that family. Surely they wouldn't have the good guy lumber in and slaughter a family with kids, right?

Probably not. They made a point of showing that the pilots of the plane survived the crash.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Probably not. They made a point of showing that the pilots of the plane survived the crash.

Also Captain Renard specifically made the point that if Kick "kills someone he's done." In situations like that the question isn't "will they save/stop [insert Protagonist]?" it's "what interesting/dramatic thing will they do to save/stop [insert Protagonist]?"

Meanwhile, I hope Juliette pushes herself into Nick's Wesen investigations because of the inevitable conflict that will ensue when Nick finally says, "No, Juliette, you're not coming with me to face off against the tentacle-rape death-monster wesen which gets stirred to rage by the presence of pet hair on snarky brunettes."

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

johntfs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 1, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
"I wish I could do that."

:allears: Oh, Hank.

johntfs posted:

Meanwhile, I hope Juliette pushes herself into Nick's Wesen investigations

That's exactly what her quote in her character Bio is about. That's why she was at the spice shop and shipyard. She wants in and isn't taking "no" for an answer.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Woah. Someone DID die from the bar fight. That was a bit of a swerve. I think this could be a really interesting direction for the storyline.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
An alum from the Shield as a lowly detective? Going to be a secret wesen.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I guess the writers are really into pushing Nick's "lawful good" alignment. I would have thought that being roofied would actually be a pretty good defense for manslaughter charges, when the rest of the people who were infected behaved identically.

Adeline seems awfully queazy for being a hexenbiest. Must be due to the pregnancy.

johntfs posted:

Meanwhile, I hope Juliette pushes herself into Nick's Wesen investigations because of the inevitable conflict that will ensue when Nick finally says, "No, Juliette, you're not coming with me to face off against the tentacle-rape death-monster wesen which gets stirred to rage by the presence of pet hair on snarky brunettes."
Lol!

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 2, 2013

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Man, Adeline's scenes are getting to be this show's equivalent of The Theon Scenes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Does "Grimm S3: Suffering from Post-Traumatic Zombie Disorder" sound like a good new thread title?

VBane posted:

Man, Adeline's scenes are getting to be this show's equivalent of The Theon Scenes.

I'm not familiar with that, can you explain?

I do really enjoy how there's a million steps that she finds annoying or disgusting to go through.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Holy gently caress, what's with the selective Lazarus thing? Is this Nick's new Grimm power? He is literally immortal?

Also yeah, I do find it strange she uses face-leeches as a beauty aid and yet still gets squeamish about the messier aspects of spellcasting. Though to be fair, I think most of us would cringe at biting through a gore-clotted string...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Captain is a good feudal lord protecting his vassals.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think they wrapped up everything well, but also with lots of storypotential regarding that guys death, and Nick's half-dead state. I did not expect Reynard to actually have his half-brother murderer for what he did, that is pretty crazy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Oasx posted:

I think they wrapped up everything well, but also with lots of storypotential regarding that guys death, and Nick's half-dead state. I did not expect Reynard to actually have his half-brother murderer for what he did, that is pretty crazy.

Yeah. The parts of last week's episode where Nick was just roaming around in zombie mode seemed pointless at the time, because I thought there wouldn't be lasting consequences. The writers took those expectations and pulled a swerve, and managed to retroactively improve that episode.

Nick still suffering symptoms looks like it will probably be a thing for a few episodes at least. Who knows where that's going, but it does show that the consequences will last longer than the duration.

I'm also surprised that apparently Eric Reynard was killed so quickly and offscreen... but Eric is a smart guy too, so who knows if he's actually dead, or if the family just wants Sean to think he's dead.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

He's most probably dead because the new bad Royal is Wesley from Angel . Most likely.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

He's most probably dead because the new bad Royal is Wesley from Angel . Most likely.

Well, a new bad Royal is Wesley from Angel. I've noticed that explosions and hitmen are rarely as deadly on TV as they are in real life.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I can't bring myself to care about Adalind at all.

The A plot was very good. Some nice action sequences with a full-on Wesen (and cop) versus Grimm brawl. The fallout from his transformation is looking pretty interesting. I hope that his Grimm abilities end up being enhanced.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

The A plot was very good. Some nice action sequences with a full-on Wesen (and cop) versus Grimm brawl. The fallout from his transformation is looking pretty interesting. I hope that his Grimm abilities end up being enhanced.

I suspect that the super-strength thing is here to stay. Though I'll bet it'll be paired with a risk of losing control and going "Grimm smash!" on all present.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Adalind plot seems to be progressing too slowly to be engaging at all. If anything actually happened it might be slightly entertaining, but so far nothing.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
A) I liked seeing Nick show off his superhuman Grimm powers during the fight.

B) I can understand Nick getting upset over the death initially, but after his talk with Renard, his response should have been "Did that guy have a record?". After all the fights with wesen and grim reapers in the previous seasons, you'd think Nick would've been a bit relieved at the end and he learned the truth, rather than still dealing with his crisis of conscience.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

ImpulseDrive posted:

A) I liked seeing Nick show off his superhuman Grimm powers during the fight.

B) I can understand Nick getting upset over the death initially, but after his talk with Renard, his response should have been "Did that guy have a record?". After all the fights with wesen and grim reapers in the previous seasons, you'd think Nick would've been a bit relieved at the end and he learned the truth, rather than still dealing with his crisis of conscience.

Yea, my dad and I were laughing about this during the episode. Nick is hardly innocent and this isn't remotely the first 'murder' he's done. He's technically done far worse, like cutting off a dude's head and sending in the drat mail.

But they weren't human so it's okay, I guess. Even to his Wesen friends.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

PureRok posted:

Yea, my dad and I were laughing about this during the episode. Nick is hardly innocent and this isn't remotely the first 'murder' he's done. He's technically done far worse, like cutting off a dude's head and sending in the drat mail.

But they weren't human so it's okay, I guess. Even to his Wesen friends.

That's exactly what I was thinking of, the reapers he has killed. Literally cut off heads. But kill someone in a bar fight that came at him with a knife? :ohdear:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Merlinicus posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking of, the reapers he has killed. Literally cut off heads. But kill someone in a bar fight that came at him with a knife? :ohdear:

Nick didn't learn about the knife until the end when Renard showed him. Also, the Reapers and other Wesen he's killed have been the ones to initiate said fights to the death.

Besides you don't have to be guilty of something to feel guilty about it. If I'm driving on the highway at night at the legal speed of 65 mph and dude comes running off the shoulder in front of my and I hit him, I probably won't be found guilty, but I still killed somebody, so I'll feel guilty because I'm not a sociopath. Nick is also not a sociopath.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

johntfs posted:

I suspect that the super-strength thing is here to stay. Though I'll bet it'll be paired with a risk of losing control and going "Grimm smash!" on all present.

His super strength is nothing new, he has always had it.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Oasx posted:

His super strength is nothing new, he has always had it.

Not to this degree I don't think. They've shown him able to hold his own and triumph over strong Wesen, but they've never shown him tossing people around like dolls the way he was in these episodes, have they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
No, that's true. He even struggled against Baron Samedi (prior to the whole goop-in-the-eyes bit.) Usually when the strength kicks in he just pushes his opponent back a little or breaks their hold; he hasn't seemed capable of tossing people around like it's nothing.

• Locked thread